PDA

View Full Version : OA+PHB game... not sure what to play

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-24, 10:54 AM
I am going to play in an ECL 12 oriental adventures game, the problem is that for some reason the DM decided to limit sourcebooks to Oriental Adventures, Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master Guide.

Now I am used to have open list on most of my 3.5 games, so this restrictions are making me question a lot of what I want to play. Right now I am considering a Wu jen based gish (probably something like OA Samurai 1/Wu Jen 6/ Eldricht Knight 5) or a Shaman but I am not really sure.

I don't know the optmization level of the party as while I have played RPG with that group for a long time, I haven't played 3.5 with them, so I can't really go all out (besides the DM warned me to keep to a reasonable power level).

tl;dr: suggestion on what to play when limited to Oriental Adventures and PHB 1?

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 10:57 AM
Saph's Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415) is a powerful all-core no-casting build, if that's what you're into.

Your best bet is probably to wait and see what everyone else wants to make, and fill the remaining party role.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-24, 10:58 AM
I want a bit of casting, so that is why I didn't consider the Horizon Tripper; but maybe its a good option to wait and see.

Eldariel
2011-07-24, 11:29 AM
It's core+X, can't go wrong with Droid (though if he's going by OA banlist, guess they're not available). OA has some cool Iaijutsu stuff so you could play a Iaijutsu Master; all you need is two levels in OA Samurai and all the related goodies and you can qualify. And the class does some really awesome stuff. Weapon Master and Bear Warrior are also decent.

Of course, on the flipside the caster PRCs are eminently mediocre so you're probably better off using Core PRCs on the OA casters (or Sorcerer). I'd probably go Sorcerer-gish over Wu Jen gish (Wu Jens are pretty limited) though if you've played Core Vancian Casters a lot, Wu Jen could be a fun change of pace (and no slouches on the buff department, with the dreaded Giant Size among others - Shaman gets it too).

Ultimately, I'd probably go straight Shaman; that's a versatile, powerful class with all the goodies you could ever want (seriously, it's a Cleric that gets Polymorph, Control Winds and Animal Companion by default - and Divine Power, Giant Size, Righteous Might & Shapechange from Hero-domain :smallcool:) and has so much **** that you can do whatever with it allowing you to tune yourself for whatever party role or power level.

EDIT: In case I didn't make myself clear, Shaman is the best class ever.

EDIT#2: Ok, ok, just to be clear: You're a Cleric. With 4+Int skills. Animal Companion. Bonus domain. Bonus feats. Polymorph & Control Winds on your own class list. And a bunch of insanely awesome domains available. Oh, and you get more than 1 Domain slot of lower levels, which is just godlike. You lose out on good Fort-saves and 1 hit die size; oh noes, so you need bit more Con. It's just...the class is awesome! It does everything! I wanna play one!

Psyren
2011-07-24, 11:40 AM
I'd go Paladin 2/Shugenja X. You can cast all their spells in armor, get great saves and some nice buffs. You'll also be a capable party face, since Cha will be your highest stat and both Shugenja and Paladins get Diplomacy in class.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-24, 11:50 AM
Your buddies wouldn't happen to generally play certain archetypes, would they? Or vastly prefer politics to wilderness adventuring or vice versa?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-24, 03:05 PM
It's core+X, can't go wrong with Droid (though if he's going by OA banlist, guess they're not available). OA has some cool Iaijutsu stuff so you could play a Iaijutsu Master; all you need is two levels in OA Samurai and all the related goodies and you can qualify. And the class does some really awesome stuff. Weapon Master and Bear Warrior are also decent.

Of course, on the flipside the caster PRCs are eminently mediocre so you're probably better off using Core PRCs on the OA casters (or Sorcerer). I'd probably go Sorcerer-gish over Wu Jen gish (Wu Jens are pretty limited) though if you've played Core Vancian Casters a lot, Wu Jen could be a fun change of pace (and no slouches on the buff department, with the dreaded Giant Size among others - Shaman gets it too).

Ultimately, I'd probably go straight Shaman; that's a versatile, powerful class with all the goodies you could ever want (seriously, it's a Cleric that gets Polymorph, Control Winds and Animal Companion by default - and Divine Power, Giant Size, Righteous Might & Shapechange from Hero-domain :smallcool:) and has so much **** that you can do whatever with it allowing you to tune yourself for whatever party role or power level.

EDIT: In case I didn't make myself clear, Shaman is the best class ever.

EDIT#2: Ok, ok, just to be clear: You're a Cleric. With 4+Int skills. Animal Companion. Bonus domain. Bonus feats. Polymorph & Control Winds on your own class list. And a bunch of insanely awesome domains available. Oh, and you get more than 1 Domain slot of lower levels, which is just godlike. You lose out on good Fort-saves and 1 hit die size; oh noes, so you need bit more Con. It's just...the class is awesome! It does everything! I wanna play one!

hmmm Shaman is becoming much more tempting, I'll have to check the normal spell list more in depth; but I agree that Shaman's Domains are awesome (Hero Domain in particular :smalltongue:)

I'd go Paladin 2/Shugenja X. You can cast all their spells in armor, get great saves and some nice buffs. You'll also be a capable party face, since Cha will be your highest stat and both Shugenja and Paladins get Diplomacy in class.

I generally avoid Paladins because I don't really like them, I'll check Shugenga though... but I am not really sure

Your buddies wouldn't happen to generally play certain archetypes, would they? Or vastly prefer politics to wilderness adventuring or vice versa?

Not really, why?

Othniel Edden
2011-07-24, 03:18 PM
What ideas are you hearing from the rest of the party?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-24, 03:20 PM
Not many, one I think was doing something head for ninja spy and the other one is a newbie to 3e, but he usually plays swordmages in 4e and tankish characters in other games.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-24, 03:23 PM
Because I play with someone who either makes warriors or warrior clerics. It's pretty easy to predict what sort of role she'll take on (Hint, Hulk SMASH). It would make it easier, but I guess it does not apply here.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-24, 04:00 PM
Nah my group is quite diverse on the characters they play, besides the kind of characters they play is not easily ported to D&D.

For example, we are currently playing Anima Beyond Fantasy a system in which it is extremely easy to creat anime-esque characters

Current party includes a Disney princes who uses chains as weapons, the phoenix knight (Saint Seyia), Kakashi from Naruto, Captain Jack Sparrow, and a summoner.

The party before that was: Byakuya (Bleach) a winged child who dual-wielded yo-yos, an insane Ezzio Auditore, an Ice Mage and Kimimaro (from Naruto)

The one before that was a great axe wielding midget, a cat-girl thief, a phasing warlock assassin, what was essentially a half minotaur moa thay monk.

So yeah we are a pretty diverse group.

Zonugal
2011-07-24, 05:36 PM
Have you taken a look at the prestige classes in the back of OA? Some of them are pretty good (I really like the Daidoji Boyguard and the Akodo Champion).

Psyren
2011-07-24, 06:08 PM
Have you taken a look at the prestige classes in the back of OA? Some of them are pretty good (I really like the Daidoji Boyguard and the Akodo Champion).

None of them seem that remarkable to me. Do any of them progress spellcasting?

I do like the Hida Defender as it's a way to get rage without being a barb or chaotic.