PDA

View Full Version : A Novel Approach to Planar Shepherd Optimization

Urpriest
2011-07-24, 12:21 PM
So we all know Planar Shepherds can cast ten spells in a round while granting themselves free wishes and still being a Druid.

I was under the impression that Planar Shepherds got to Wild Shape into Celestial or Fiendish creatures from their chosen plane. Imagine my surprise when I read the class description and find instead the following text:

At 3rd level, you are able to use wild shape to change into a magical beast native to your chosen plane...
...This includes creatures whose type changes to magical beast as the result of applying a template (such as celestial or fiendish).

Such as. Meaning other options are possible. Let's assume the following:
1. This is a specific exception to the general rule that you cannot use wild shape to take the form of a creature with a template.
2. This only allows one template, ("applying a template"). While I normally hate pluralization arguments in RAW interpretation, this is needed to keep insanity somewhat limited.
3. We have some control over what ends up native to a given plane. Perhaps we have offered to "help the DM with his Cosmology".

Given that, what is the most broken template out there that turns a creature into a magical beast? Pseudonatural unfortunately turns the creature into an outsider. What are the best choices?

erikun
2011-07-24, 02:12 PM
I was under the impression that the only time something changed into a magical beast through a template was when they were previously an animal. So, no Celestial Chokers.

That said, hasn't this already been considered? Even a casual reading would indicate that other templates would be appropriate. I'd say that even templates changing a type to an outsider or elemental (for inner planes Shepherds) would make just as much sense, although not apply to what you are asking.

Urpriest
2011-07-24, 02:33 PM
I was under the impression that the only time something changed into a magical beast through a template was when they were previously an animal. So, no Celestial Chokers.

That said, hasn't this already been considered? Even a casual reading would indicate that other templates would be appropriate. I'd say that even templates changing a type to an outsider or elemental (for inner planes Shepherds) would make just as much sense, although not apply to what you are asking.

The latter doesn't have any rules support, unfortunately. And I realize that this will almost always apply only to animals becoming magical beasts (or vermin). Mostly I'm just curious as to what the most powerful option for such is, since I haven't seen this explored in detail.

For example, Multiheaded turns an animal into a magical beast.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-24, 03:14 PM
Does Monster Of Legend turn something into a magical beast?

Jack_Simth
2011-07-24, 03:25 PM
Does Monster Of Legend turn something into a magical beast?Native Outsider.

Urpriest
2011-07-24, 03:48 PM
One idea: a Multiheaded Ape (or Dire Ape, etc.) would gain Superior TWF, and the Druid could arguably take Multivoice as well.

Edit: Lernaean...should probably be changed for 3.5, but still probably sweet.

Re'ozul
2011-07-24, 04:45 PM
The only ones that seem worthwile that I found (granted that was simply going through the crystal keep list) were:

Shadow creature for being sneaky.
Corrupted, but thats a Dragon Magazine one.
Phantom perhaps as its fun.
Chimeric for triple headed fun and scaring people.
Elder Serpent though its only for snakes.