PDA

View Full Version : Not so fortunate son... IC

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-24, 01:40 PM
This is not a fantasy tale of easy times, and knights in shining armor, each one of these warriors are driven by a deep, dark instinct, an internal urge, a need for revenge. If you've come looking for cheap tales of saving maidens and doing what is just and morally right, I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place, our story begins as each of the adventurers, makes their way to the Edge of the Water Inn, in the port town of Skrall. Called forth by a mysterious man, claiming to have information on the bandits who murdered their families so many years ago, as they arrive at the Inn they notice only a bartender, and the adventurers that arrived before them, unsure of who, or what, called them.

jojolagger
2011-07-24, 04:10 PM
Stepping inside and finding the bar empty, Dallun tells the Bartender "I'll be waiting for some acquaintances, probably best I don't start drinking until after they show up."
He then takes a table near the back, but not totally in the corner, and begins to carve a small wooden statue. While he works, he seems to have become lost in thought.

I'm going to try a make a statue of the barkeeper. [roll0]
Also, Knowledge (local) for anything important about the Bar [roll1] (counts as trained)

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-24, 04:36 PM
As Gratumal squeezes in through the door, he notices that there are only two other people in the bar. He then proceeds to sit down in-front of the bar, and orders a pint of ale from the bartender.

Needle
2011-07-24, 07:31 PM
Ludmila enters the bar quietly. She notice there’s only two guys besides the bartender. Not knowing what to do, she decides to sit on the nearest table to the entrance, taking the letter out "to read it" as if waiting for the writer to come and sit with her.

Spot Check to know if someone is paying/will pay attention towards me: [roll0]

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-24, 08:42 PM
The statue is coming along in a fashion, that shows a hobbyist interest in carving.

Anything you now of the Inn, is limited, it is just an Inn, renowned for holding famous bar fights but not much else.

Drieth
2011-07-24, 09:11 PM
Amren steps off the street into the inn where the mysterious letter had guided him. The hood of his grey cloak is up, and he is sauntering slowly through the tables with his head down - his face concealed to anyone that might be in the bar. He doesn't seem to be paying much attention. Anyone close enough can hear him mumbling quietly, but it doesn't seem to be anything intelligible.

Suddenly Amren gives a start and looks up for a moment, pausing. He proceeds to swing off his pack and lay it on the floor next to a table, and rummages through it - pulling out a piece of paper, a pen and a vial of ink. As he lays his materials on the table, he also removes his signet ring - a ring bearing a red circle with a silver heart - and places it on the table. That should be enough for my secret admirer to know who I am...

"Barkeep, a mug of wine, if you would be so kind."

Amren begins writing slowly but deliberately on the paper, pausing every so often, seemingly lost in thought.

Things in itallics are thoughts, just so everyone knows. :)

jojolagger
2011-07-25, 08:07 AM
Shifting focus away from his carving, Dallun begins to observe the others in the bar. The tough guy was carrying a sword incredibly oversized. He must be noticeably stronger than the average half-orc.Then there was a Cleric of... Syreth? Yes, that shield is in the shape of Syreth's holy symbol. Dallun Smiled at this, glad he could still pull facts like that form somewhere in his mind. She was reading a letter, maybe one similar to his own. Then... Amren?
Storing the incomplete statue and carving gear in his pack, Dallun heads over to Amren's table. "Fancy seeing you here. How's your research working out?"

Take ten on knowledge (religion) for 15, which should be enough to identify the shield as a holy symbol of Syreth.

Justin Time
2011-07-25, 11:20 AM
Whistling a tune (Let's go with this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRjRvFietdc)), Ella walked into the bar as her eyes quickly darts around the room and sizes everyone up. She considers how she would kill everyone if the mood struck her, but is unsure what to make of the grafts she spots. Halfway to the bar she stops whistling and sits next to Gratumal at the bar. She looks at him and smiles at the giant half-orc as she holds a finger up towards the bartender, "A glass of wine if you'd be so kind garçon."

Directing her attention back to Gratumal, "Well I don't think I've ever seen a half-orc as tall as you are. Must be pretty strong, eh?"

Pre-emptive sense motive check on Gratumal and a second one on whoever talks to me next, [roll0], [roll1]

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-25, 12:14 PM
Gratumal notices, but ignores the smaller human, and keeps sipping on his ale.

Justin Time
2011-07-25, 05:28 PM
Unphased, Ella tries to engage the giant half-orc again, This place looks pretty quiet for someone like yourself. You're obviously a man of action or am I wrong? What could bring you here?

As these words pass her lips, she is paying attention to the strange men who seem like they might know each other. She concentrates on trying to listen to their conversation without her eyes leaving the half-orc.

Listen check on what Amren and Dullen are saying: [roll0]

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-25, 06:12 PM
Gratumal finally gives in, and responds to the human "There's someone that has information that i want that is supposed to meet me here", Gratumal thinks for a moment, and asks "By the way, what are you doing here?"

and for precaution, sense motive check [roll0]

Drieth
2011-07-25, 07:45 PM
Amren looks up from his paper to see a familiar face standing beside his table. "Ah, Dallun! It has been a while - good to see you again! My research is coming along well... although the Academy doesn't seem to agree. That was expected though. New frontiers are always shunned by those who are jealous they didn't get there first. And the old fools too blind and set in their ways to see progress when it slaps them across the face." Amren shakes his head with exasperation. "Anyway, you look well. No ill effects from the surgery, I presume? Is it working as I had hoped it would?"

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-25, 07:58 PM
As you all go about your business an unknown man enters the bar flashing his hand to the bartender and going into a back room.

Justin Time
2011-07-25, 08:51 PM
Ella stares out of the corner of her eye as the stranger walks in and goes into the back. "Oh? Like that man who just came in? He could have all sorts of information! Would you like to follow him?"

She thinks to herself how that man might be the one with the information she came here for. She also intends to follow him but figures the half-orc could be easy to bluff, especially in his native tongue, to fight for her until everyone else was dead and she then could finish him.

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-25, 09:02 PM
Gratumal replies to the human next to him "A man came in? Sorry, i didn't see him there. Where is he now?"

Justin Time
2011-07-25, 09:45 PM
Ella drains her glass and stands, motioning towards the back room.

"He went in there. Shall we go check it out?

Ella will follow Gratumal or anyone else into the backroom once someone goes in.

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-25, 10:29 PM
Gratumal thinks about this for a moment, and then says "Ya sure, why not?". Gratumal then proceeds to step through the doorway, into where he is expecting someone.

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-25, 10:57 PM
As you go to step into the backroom the bartender blocks your way, though not as large as the Half-Orc, he stands with the attitude of a warrior, "You're not allowed back there sir"

Needle
2011-07-25, 11:26 PM
The number of people increased as time passed, there were two pairs chatting, the first pair, two guys, one of them tiny, seems to be friends enjoying a chat, the other, a girl about my height and a half-orc with a really huge weapon, started following a man who entered and directly went to a back room.

Seeing as the letter gave hint to nobody and the guy who went back seemed to be preparing something, I stood up to ask the bartender if he heard someone setting some meeting up, but suddenly he went to stop the pair, as if blocking their path with a serious expression.

I walked and sit on the front, waiting for the bartender to come back to ask my question, but keeping my attention on that situation.

Ok, so, first a Spot Check to keep my eyes on them:

[roll0]

Also a Listen Check focusing on what the bartender and the guys have to say:

[roll1]

Also, as prepared action if a fight occurs, a Diplomacy (lol) Check to try and stop it, basically, explaining that I'm waiting for someone and I don't want a fight before my appointment comes.

[roll2]

And finally, if I'm targeted (of course I won't be targeted :smalltongue:), I'll have Sanctuary as a Prepared Action as soon as I know I'm going to be attacked.

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-25, 11:46 PM
Gratumal responds to the barkeeper "And why aren't we allowed back there? You got something to hide back there maybe?" while becoming slightly annoyed

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-26, 12:36 AM
The bartender scoffs, "Never heard of private rooms boy? Sit down before I make you"

jojolagger
2011-07-26, 03:53 AM
"I'm finding myself hungrier than usual. Not by much, but it's there." Says Dallun, answering the first question, and the the second, "Works great, the bandits never say it coming. Dallun grins, remembering the look on the bandit's face. "But what brings you here? Surely you're looking for more interesting beings that can be found in this modest town."

Drieth
2011-07-26, 09:18 PM
"Yes well... truth be told, I am taking a little hiatus from my research at the moment. As much as I can, anyway. I have the feeling even if I was being marched to the headsman I would still be thinking about new procedures I could attempt, or new methods to improve the effectiveness and success rates", Amren says with a slight smile. "But back to your question, I've come here for some... personal business." Amren's smile slowly fades, and his face turns to stone - a burning intensity shining in his eyes. "I'm meeting someone here that has something I need."

jojolagger
2011-07-27, 01:44 AM
"You got a letter too." Says Dallun, then, without waiting for an answer, he continues, "Perhaps we should be going to see the man in the back."

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-27, 11:05 AM
Gratumal dooesn't want to do anything hasty, so he takes a step back, and just stares at the bartender.

Drieth
2011-07-27, 01:50 PM
Amren's ruby red eyes widen at the mention of the letter. He knows! How does he know!? Why him? His eyes slowly drift away from Dallun, staring blankly into the tavern wall behind the short man's body.

...maybe it wasn't just me then... maybe this person found others... others who share my pain... my sorrow... and my lust for vengeance...

...I will have it no matter what it costs...

Amren's eyes snap back to focus on Dallun as he reprocesses what the man had said while he was only half paying attention. "A man came in here? I didn't notice. But how can you be sure he is the man we seek if he did not approach either of us?"

jojolagger
2011-07-27, 02:21 PM
"I'm not sure it's him, but he clearly has connections on at least the local level, he seems to be avoiding any of the common folk who might arrive in the bar, and he's in the back, where secrets are usually dealt. He is the most like person to have the info." Explains Dallun.
"Now, Ready to find out something of importance?"
Ask Dallun, gesturing toward the back room.

Justin Time
2011-07-27, 06:06 PM
Ella giggles as she steps forward and puts her hand gently on the bartender's arm.

"Oh, no need to be like that. We're the ones he's here to see. You can't have forgotten, could you?

Oh, sometimes I get confused whether it's a bluff or diplomacy. Either way it's a plus 11 so here's a roll.
[roll0]
So how about that natural 20. Ella would like him to step aside. :smalltongue:

Drieth
2011-07-27, 10:09 PM
Amren considers Dallun's words carefully as he raises his hand up to his face, moving his fingers back and forth across his chin. After a few moments, Amren's hand drops and he shrugs slightly at Dallun. "Well, I suppose it cannot hurt to try. Let me pack up my things and we will learn what this man has to tell us, even if it is not he who we seek."

Amren hastily packs up his writing materials into his pack, and returns his signet ring to his finger. As he slings his pack back on, he notices the huge half-orc and the lady talking up the bartender while he bars the door to the back room. "Come to think of it, that barkeep hasn't brought me the wine I asked for yet... I am beginning to suspect he is not quite what he seems. This place would go out of business in a hurry if they treated all their customers this way." Amren eyes the barkeep up with a look of suspicion on his face. "Yes, I am liking your hypothesis more and more by the minute, Dallun. Let us go see what secrets lay in the back of the Edge of Water Inn."

Amren will follow Dallun if he moves towards the bartender.

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-27, 10:18 PM
The bartender shrugs your arm, off, "I'll be right back." he walks into the back room and returns slightly after, "Alright, head on in."

MichaelJCaboose
2011-07-27, 10:40 PM
For the second time, Gratumal tries to enter the back-room. He thinks to himself man that's one annoying bartender.

Needle
2011-07-27, 10:50 PM
After hearing their conversation (tough not seeing them quite well :smalleek:) I noticed there was a misunderstanding between the bartender and those two. He quickly went back and let them pass. It’d be a high coincidence that two, or three, groups would be meeting in the same place, at the same time.

– Sorry – I said, going to where the bartender and that pair is – Is he expecting someone else? I got invited here too by some man, maybe the same as them.

Justin Time
2011-07-28, 12:15 AM
"Of course you did honey," Ella smiles at the Cleric as she walks into the backroom herself, following the half-orc.

jojolagger
2011-07-30, 11:04 AM
Dallun moves to follow Ella, Smiling at the thought of Enlarging the orc and setting him loose on the bandits.

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-31, 09:45 PM
The bartender looks up, "If you got THE letter, get your arse in the back room!

Needle
2011-07-31, 10:32 PM
- I guess you're talking about this - I told him while taking out the letter and adding - Take a look, but don't take it out off my hands as it is important.

KingOfLaughter
2011-07-31, 10:34 PM
The bartender shrugs, "I don't care if you got it, he has some barrier you can only get in if you have one."

Needle
2011-07-31, 11:10 PM
- Oh - She blabbed out, surprised, "Certainly well prepared this man is" Ludmila thought - Thanks for the info - said nicely before going to the back door, confident that she would get inside.

jojolagger
2011-08-02, 04:30 AM
Dallun walks in, hoping to examine this barrier. Something like it could be very useful.

Drieth
2011-08-03, 04:48 PM
Amren walks past the bartender into the backroom, his right hand resting intently on the handle of the light mace hanging from his belt. He could feel the spark ignited inside him. It felt distant still, but he could feel the hatred, the rage, and the overpowering bloodlust simmering somewhere deep within himself - a faint memory of that night ten years ago.

Now then... this mystery man had better answer some questions. If he brought me out here to toy with me, he will find the rest of his short life very unpleasant...

KingOfLaughter
2011-08-06, 09:17 PM
The room is darkened, and in it stands only a table with 5 chairs along one edge. Each with the initials of one of you carved into the back, and each of a size to fit the person they were made for. Each chair beckons to one of you.

From Left to right: Gratumal, Amren, Dallun, Ella, and Ludmila

MichaelJCaboose
2011-08-07, 09:17 PM
Gratumal strides forward, and sits in the largest chair with a large "G" on it while examining the room.

Spot check: [roll0]

jojolagger
2011-08-08, 02:17 AM
Dallun quickly looks around the room, then get's into the central chair, the smallest of the lot.

[roll0] spot

Needle
2011-08-08, 12:52 PM
Ludmilla goes for her chair, trying to hear if someone is coming.

Listen Check: [roll0]

Drieth
2011-08-10, 03:33 PM
Amren looks around the room, finding the chair engraved with his initials. He slides off his pack, setting it gently beside the chair - taking his hand off the handle of his mace only for a moment. His eyes stare into the darkness of the room, searching, while he slowly bends and takes his seat.

Spot Check: [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

KingOfLaughter
2011-08-10, 04:03 PM
As you all look about you notice the room seems a lot darker than it should, but it suddenly brightens up, and you all see a man sitting across from you. His face hidden in shadow, but he wears an all red cloak. "So, those who lost so much wish to gain revenge?"

MichaelJCaboose
2011-08-11, 08:16 PM
Gratumal replies "are you the person that sent us these letters?" wondering if this man can help fix his problems.

Needle
2011-08-14, 07:05 PM
Ludmila waits for the man to reply the orc. "I want to know the connections this man has to what happened at that time" - she thinks.

jojolagger
2011-08-14, 08:08 PM
"Why else would he be here? And why would we be here if not for revenge? Cut to the chase."
Interrupts Dallun.

KingOfLaughter
2011-08-14, 10:21 PM
"Now now children. It's not befitting of you to speak in such manners, especially when you have so much to prepare for. Yes t'was I who sent those letters, and yes I have the information you need for revenge. You however don't have the right, skill level, for revenge just yet."

MichaelJCaboose
2011-08-20, 06:29 PM
"Well how would we get said 'skill level'?" Gratumal asks

Needle
2011-08-22, 11:41 AM
So, there will be some training before getting any info? - Ludmila adds

KingOfLaughter
2011-08-22, 12:20 PM
"Of a sorts." The man leans forward, "There are smaller, beings, of the whole that would be more of your skill level, for you to take out, and learn from, until I see it fit that you can get your revenge without failure."

MichaelJCaboose
2011-08-22, 06:27 PM
Well, where could we find these people to learn from? asked Gratumal, wondering how long this will take