PDA

View Full Version : Project Image 3.5 Errata?

aeauseth
2011-07-24, 09:46 PM
I going to be running the "Bastion of Broken Souls" in a 3.5 campaign. In scene 3 I'm expecting a foe to use "Project Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/projectImage.htm)", however upon reading the spell I have some questions about its use and tactics.

By RAW it appears to last 1 round/level. Yet "Shadow Conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjuration.htm)" suggests it might have 1/5 of the caster's full hit points. Can anyone clarify if the duration is fixed, or can it be destroyed by damage?

Can the projected image act independently?
Can I use my move action to make the projected image cast a spell of its own or attack, then use my standard action to cast my own spell (possibly thru the projected image)? Again "Shadow Conjuration" suggests the image can act on its own.
The text of the spell states that "The projected image can’t cast any spells on itself except for illusion spells", which makes one believe it can cast spells on other creatures, leaving the original caster an unused standard action.
If the illusion can cast spells, would the DC be based off of a 7th level spell, regardless of the actual spell level. This assumption is based off of the Shadow Conjuration rules.

Can I cast a non illusion buff, say haste on the projected image? My image didn't cast it, I did.
Referencing "Shadow Conjuration" again would suggest the image would have the same special qualities & abilities as the original caster. For example a high damage reduction, making the 1/5 hp last a bit longer.
If I polymorphed, then projected my image, would the projected image look like the creature I polymorphed into? Could I use an extraordinary special attack thru the projected image, that I acquired thru polymorph?
I did find one post that suggested the spell-like abilities do not work thru project image. Since the creature specifically states is has project image as a spell-like ability, I can make a DM exception for this. However I suspect the post I saw had in incorrect interpretation.
Tactics wise, I could put them side by side (real+image), both making attacks or casting spells. Or I could put the projected image out front, and have the original caster hiding around the corner or arrow slit (with line of effect). Any other basic tactics I should consider?
In this specific case the foe can project image at will. Any problems with having more than 1 projected image at the same time? It would be crazy, but pop out 1 per round and I'd eventually have 20 of them (CL=20) each casting or attacking.
If the projected images cast their own spells, are they limited by the x per day spell like abilities or spell slots? If I used up all my sorcerer spells, then cast projected image, does the image get a full set of spells? If the image casts a spell, does it come off of my spells for the day?
Does the images get a copy of all my equipment? Can it use the equipment? What about the magical equipment and equipment with charges?
Upon casting does the projected image copy your active spells? Only illusions would qualify. So if I had mirror image on would the projected image have it as well? In this particular case my foe doesn't have any illusion based buffs, but you never know...

I was unable to find an errata that successfully clarified these issues. Your insight would be appreciated.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 09:51 PM
The Projected Image is intangible - it hasn't got any hit points because it can't be hurt. The Image doesn't cast spells - spells that you cast can originate from it. Presumably this refers to spells with a target of You and a range of Personal. Likewise, it cannot attack.

Ryuuk
2011-07-24, 10:05 PM
There's nothing in Project Image saying that it gets standard actions. Nowhere on Project image does it say that the image is a creature, and it doesn't seem seem to be linked in any way to Shadow Conjuration, beyond school. It mimics you (So I assume if you polymorph, the image could change appearance to match), or you can have it act differently by spending a move action, but otherwise, it seems to behave like a normal Silent/Minor/Major Image style illusion.

From my understanding, it looks like it's main purpose is for the caster to create a decoy. It looks like you, you can see from its eyes and you can even cast spells with the Projected Image as the point of origin. Anyone without True Seeing of some sort would see the image as the caster and you would have all of the information needed to make it convincing.

Tactics wise, the basic one would be to go Invisible and hang back, casting everything from the image or images, changing it every turn to keep the opponents guessing.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-07-24, 11:44 PM
The Projected Image is intangible - it hasn't got any hit points because it can't be hurt. The Image doesn't cast spells - spells that you cast can originate from it. Presumably this refers to spells with a target of You and a range of Personal. Likewise, it cannot attack.

You can have any spell with a range of touch or greater originate from the image, and you can project your senses through it. It basically allows a wizard to be somewhere (and do everything that he could normally do there, apart from physically interacting with things) without actually being there.

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 11:50 PM
You can have any spell with a range of touch or greater originate from the image, and you can project your senses through it. It basically allows a wizard to be somewhere (and do everything that he could normally do there, apart from physically interacting with things) without actually being there.
Right, my point being that the "can't cast spells on itself" was referring to its inability to go Tenser's Transformation or Polymorph for reals.

KillianHawkeye
2011-07-25, 12:05 AM
Shadow Conjuration has nothing to do with Project Image. You're just confusing yourself. The spell only does what it says it does, so don't listen to what some other spell is telling you.

Now I need to go do something about this headache I suddenly have. :smallannoyed:

Piocaesare
2016-09-30, 06:35 PM
There was one question asked that I have not seen answered:

Does the projected image get a copy of all equipment, can it use the equipment, can it carry things, what about the magical equipment and equipment with charges?

Deophaun
2016-09-30, 10:24 PM
--Edit: Rebuke Undead--

zergling.exe
2016-09-30, 10:46 PM
There was one question asked that I have not seen answered:

Does the projected image get a copy of all equipment, can it use the equipment, can it carry things, what about the magical equipment and equipment with charges?

It's an illusion, so... no.

Endarire
2016-10-01, 03:49 PM
Project image is basically a hologram of you that exists in a certain space. You can perceive from its senses and have your spells originate from it, but it's as tangible as a hologram. Were it to have any copies of your gear, they too would be as tangible as a hologram.