PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU roleplay a llama?

Treblain
2011-07-24, 10:38 PM
We've had a bunch of threads that cut pretty close to this issue, so I'll be blunt and get to what we really want to discuss. I'm just curious, and I'd like to hear other peoples' responses.

Llamas are complex, intelligent creatures, we all know that. And they're an important part of so many roleplaying games. I can't imagine playing one without these magnificent beasts. So it's only natural that human beings developed an impulse to roleplay as llamas themselves. But that's where it gets tricky. With llama NPCs, it's not as hard. You can just hew close to the default flavor from the sourcebooks and stick to their traditional roles. But a player taking on the role of a llama, it raises so many key issues that remind me of why I love roleplaying so much.

Like half-elves, llamas have a dual nature, and like dwarves, they're famed for their hair. But like halflings, they're clever and unpredictable, and like goats, they chew their cud. They can fit many classes and party roles, from wool source to pack animal, from psychic warrior to faithful watch-llama.

One concept I love to use in games is the noble llama apostate, disgusted with how mainstream llama society treats its cousins, the alpacas and vicuņas. (Incidentally, I rolled an alpaca once. I know what common wisdom on these board says about alpacas, but after getting over the level adjustment, it wasn't so bad, though I agree that the spell-like abilities got to be pretty ineffective as I leveled.)

But I digress. The llama apostate is an old trope, but a good one. It's a classic idea: the lone llama who's turned its hindparts against a hypocritical civilization. Meandering off from the herd, as it were. Another great llama background is the llama scholar, who's studied the history of dead nations in search of the truth behind his own existence. Where it goes can vary by game and DM, but it's always a great ride regardless.

I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions of how to roleplay a llama. Do you take into account the rich details of the various llama cultures that published sources have provided, or do you exercise your creativity by making up your own? I'd rather this didn't turn into an argument about fluff and crunch, but sadly that seems inevitable. I've seen some heated debates on the subject, and I can't help but wince when I read them. You're missing the point when you spend your energy arguing about whether a llama can be refluffed as a camel mutated by dark magic. The beauty of roleplaying is the ability to create a character and guide them through a world where anything is possible. I hope we can have a civil discussion about the place of the llama in RPGs.

Xefas
2011-07-24, 10:45 PM
I would have gone a little more meta with the satire. Picture this: "How do YOU roleplay the posters in an internet forum thread asking about how to roleplaying things?", "I'm running a d20 Modern game soon that will take place mostly on the in-game internet. Some of my NPCs will probably be the posters on an internet roleplaying forum, and the first adventure involves a thread asking about how you would roleplaying certain things. I'm not sure how to portray them accurately. Any advice?"

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 10:48 PM
Like every other character, a llama is just a kind of ranger. In this case, the duality is this - is the llama a wildshaped ranger, or just the animal companion, whereas the ranger is actually RIGHT BEHIND YOU?

Techsmart
2011-07-24, 11:11 PM
My llamas are incredibly rude and constantly break the fourth wall. One time, a pc got in a 30-minute arguement over whether or not the world was real and everyone in it was controlled by some cosmic being called a DM. It ended with the llama spitting in the PC's face.

Knaight
2011-07-24, 11:23 PM
It depends. Firstly, one must take into account the Llamas Sans Disguise, a camel infiltration group headed entirely by acid spitting alpacas. Then there is the matter of One Hump, Two Hump, Red Bump, Blue Thump, Erodoeht Lesieg's guide on infiltrating and assassinating camels. Then there are the camels disguised as llamas, such as the Dromedary Secret League, which takes loads up, takes loads down, and offloads that which explodes.

Anderlith
2011-07-24, 11:25 PM
My llamas always take enough levels in Druid so they can wildshape (into a llama)

Saintheart
2011-07-24, 11:29 PM
Llamas are a very challenging roleplaying prospect, mostly because of the godlike (Ex) abilities they possess. It's always difficult to play what is pretty much the RAI Pun-Pun of D&D. All you can do is hope that your portrayal of an Ancient Greek Deity comes close to the true awesomeness that is a llama. :smallcool:

Ksheep
2011-07-24, 11:29 PM
I personally have never played as a llama. Closest I got was a platypus a couple sessions ago. Unfortunately, I forgot to take into account the LA it got for having the poison spur, and I ended up getting one-shot in the first encounter against penguins. Didn't help that they were armed with guns.

Crossblade
2011-07-24, 11:30 PM
I LARP it.

http://www.easleys.com/Productimages/mask_us/T0187thumb.jpg

Yanagi
2011-07-24, 11:56 PM
Graze.

Ruminate.

Carry a pack load up a mountain for an Inca; it's probably potatoes.

Ruminate more while the Inca unloads your pack.

Descend mountain with a different pack load; it's probably frozen potatoes or chunos, which are freeze-dried potatoes.

You don't get to have any of the potatoes.

Try not to have your eyes pecked out by condors.

Ruminate some more.

Earthwalker
2011-07-25, 12:18 AM
I always play up the paranoia of meeting some of the red nosed dog people and so usually spend sessions as a llama trying to keep one step ahead.

Llama Llama Llama Llama

Dimers
2011-07-25, 12:46 AM
Llama Llama Llama Llama

DUCK!

... after getting over the level adjustment ...

You mean the LLA?

... arguing about whether a llama can be refluffed as a camel mutated by dark magic.

A llama can be refluffed by shampooing its fur thoroughly and then blowdrying.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-25, 07:20 AM
Why, any other way you'd roleplay fire. "BURN IT ALL!"

Morghen
2011-07-25, 09:17 AM
Crossblade wins.

gkathellar
2011-07-25, 09:26 AM
I don't know, man. The llama is pretty much the only class that undermines the universal "kill people and take their stuff" model of gameplay. It really takes the whole system in a direction I'm not personally comfortable with.

Mono Vertigo
2011-07-25, 09:48 AM
Drama.
Silly 10 characters rule!

Akal Saris
2011-07-25, 10:57 AM
I like to watch Emperor's New Groove to get into my llama groove before a play session.

Nooo touchie!

LibraryOgre
2011-07-25, 03:35 PM
The Mod Wonder: Please, don't post threads simply to mock other threads.