PDA

View Full Version : Ring of arming dnd 3.5

Laharal
2011-07-24, 11:38 PM
Hello dear playgrounders,

Magic item compendium p.122, ring of arming.

Price (Item Level): 5,000 gp (9th)
Body Slot: Ring
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 20) transmutation
Activation: Standard (command)
Weight: —
This perfectly smooth adamantine ring bears
a massive turquoise carved in the shape of a
heavily armored knight.

When you activate a ring of arming, any armor or weapons you currently wear disappear and are stored magically within the ring, and any armor or weapons cur*rently stored within the ring appear in the appropriate places on your body (items that must be held appear at your feet if you don't have free hands).

Can it be used in combat? I-e are weapons in hands are considered to be worn or would the word should had been equipped for a mid-fight weapon change to be legit?

Many thanks ;)

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 11:45 PM
I believe the intent was to swap both weapons and armours, but considering that it's a standard action to activate, the weapon swap is faster just by sheathing or dropping the old one and drawing a new one.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-07-24, 11:50 PM
I believe the intent was to swap both weapons and armours, but considering that it's a standard action to activate, the weapon swap is faster just by sheathing or dropping the old one and drawing a new one.

It also allows you to instantly don armor, and conjure your weapon from out of thin air; a very useful item, as it not only allows you to sleep and quickly get your armor on in the event of an emergency, but also allows you to go about in plain clothes to avoid drawing attention to yourself, and still have your equipment on hand.

Laharal
2011-07-24, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your answers ;)

Ok so technically can it be used in combat?

Flickerdart
2011-07-24, 11:54 PM
It also allows you to instantly don armor, and conjure your weapon from out of thin air; a very useful item, as it not only allows you to sleep and quickly get your armor on in the event of an emergency, but also allows you to go about in plain clothes to avoid drawing attention to yourself, and still have your equipment on hand.
Ah, clever. Though considering how many non-armour items your typical PC has...

Not technically - there's no reason it couldn't be.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-07-24, 11:54 PM

It can be used in combat to spontaneously arm and armor yourself as a standard action, yes. A weapon stored in the ring appears in your hand unless your hands are full.

Laharal
2011-07-25, 09:35 AM
When you activate a ring of arming, any armor or weapons

That's the fun part of it... if I can change 2 weapons at the same time using a standard action, better than dropping current weapons and then using 2 moves actions to draw and using all the round to do that ;)

Horde of orcs? Fine: rapier and sickle or shortsword
They have raised an skeleton army? No prob *uses ring* It's hammer time!

I like versatility ;)

So, no probs with switching two weapons (one in each hand) during combat? Is everything legit?

Keld Denar
2011-07-25, 10:19 AM
No problem.

Do note that if you have the TWFing feat, you can draw two weapons in a single move action, or as part of a move if you have a BAB of +1 or higher. So drop, draw, swing is possible in a single round.