PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Monk Revision #1549 PEACH

Morbis Meh
2011-07-25, 12:31 AM
Hello people of the playground here is my version of monk and I hope it to be much better than the original (I have been playing a lot of Xenogears lately so this is based on Fei). If you could give me feedback/suggestion as well as classify what tier it is I would be grateful (I put it around 4/3).

Without further adieu The Monk:

Monk
{table=head]Level|Base AttackBonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Ki Pool|Fast[br]Movement|AC Bonus|Flurry of[br]Blows|Unarmed[br]Attack

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat, Stunning Fist|
3|
+0ft.|
+0|
-1/-1|
1d6

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat, Evasion|
4|
+0ft.|
+0|
+0/+0|
1d6

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Still Mind,[br] Deathblow: Raijin|
5|
+10ft.|
+0|
+1/+1|
1d8

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Ki Shot, Slow fall 20 ft|
7|
+10ft.|
+1|
+2/+2|
1d8

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|Inner Healing, Purity of body|
8|
+10ft.|
+1|
+3/+3 |
1d8

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat, Slowfall 30 ft,[br] Deathblow: Hagan|
9|
+20ft.|
+1|
+4/+4|
1d10

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|Diamond Body, Iron Fists|
11|
+20ft.|
+2|
+5/+5|
1d10

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Slow fall 40 ft, Adamantine Body|
12|
+20ft.|
+2|
+6/+6/+1|
1d10

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+6|Diamond Soul, Improved Evasion,[br] Deathblow: Tenbu|
14|
+30ft.|
+2|
+6/+6/+1|
1d10

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+7|Slow fall 50 ft, Elemental Fist|
15|
+30ft.|
+3|
+7/+7/+2|
2d6

11th|
+8|
+7|
+7|
+7|Abundant Step, AC Bonus, [br] Greater Flurry |
17|
+30ft.|
+3|
+8/+8/+8/+3|
2d6

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Flight, Deathblow: Koho|
18|
+40ft.|
+3|
+9/+9/+9/+4|
2d6

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+8|Tongue of the Sun and Moon,[br] Rubber Fist, Enhanced Clarity|
20|
+40ft.|
+4|
+9/+9/+9/+4|
2d6

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+9|Chained Ki Shot, Mighty Fists|
21|
+40ft.|
+4|
+10/+10/+10/+5|
2d8

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+9|Quivering Palm, Deathblow: Chikei|
23|
+50ft.|
+4|
+11/+11/+11/+6/+1|
2d8

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Empty Body, Mind of Oblivion|
24|
+50ft.|
+5|
+12/+12/+12/+7/+2|
2d8

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+10|Timeless body, Sense the Void|
26|
+50ft.|
+5|
+12/+12/+12/+7/+2|
2d8

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Dispelling Fist, Deathblow: Suikei|
28|
+60ft.|
+5|
+13/+13/+13/+8/+3|
2d10

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+11|Moment of Perfect Stillness|
29|
+60ft.|
+6|
+14/+14/+14/+9/+4|
2d10

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Perfect Self, Deathblow: Yamikei|
30|
+60ft.|
+6|
+15/+15/+15/+10/+5|
4d8[/table]

[B]Alignment: Any non-chaotic
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills:
The battle monk’s (Refereed here after as simply the monk) class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Monks are proficient with club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham and sling.

Monks are not proficient with any shields, but are proficient with light armor.

When wearing heavier then light armor, using a shield, or carrying a medium or heavy load, a monk loses her AC bonus, as well as her fast movement and flurry of blows abilities.
Medium Armor or otherwise that is made to count as light armor does not count as light armor when determining if the Monk can still use class features.

AC Bonus (Ex)
When in light armor and unencumbered, the monk gains the listed bonus to her AC.
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor greater then light, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.
At level 11 a monks AC bonus doubles.

Flurry of Blows (Ex)
When in light or no armor and unencumbered a monk may use flurry of blows as a standard action. Using flurry of blows allows a monk to make an extra attack at a slight penalty. A monk may do this unarmed or with select weapons and with each successful blow they deliver they also deal x1 Strength mod in damage.

Unarmed Strike
At the first level a monk gains the improved unarmed strike ability and is able to deal non-lethal damage at no penalty.

Ki Pool
A monk's abilities revolve around their inner strength and melding their soul to their flesh. A monk gains Ki points every level which fuel their abilities that are granted as they progress. A monk can replenish their Ki pool once per day by meditating for half an hour. A monk receives bonus Ki points equal to their Wisdom modifier.

Stunning Fist (Ex):
With a well-placed blow a monk is able to stun an opponent for a single round. By using their ki a monk may stun an opponent (DC equal to 10+ 1/2 monk level+ Wisdom mod) for one round. Using this ability expends one Ki point.

Bonus Feats:
At levels 1, 2 and 6 a monk gains a bonus feat and may select any feat from the fighter bonus feat list.

Evasion (Ex):
A monk of the 2nd level can dodge unusual or magical attacks that allow a reflex save. By making a successful reflex save a monk sustains no damage for said attack.

Still Mind (Ex):
A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment, since her meditation and training improve her resistance to mind-affecting attacks.

Deathblows (Ex):
When a monk lands 2 consecutive blows they are able to deliver an extra finishing blow that deals extra damage and a status effect. A deathblow functions like the Rend ability and automatically hits an enemy.
Raijin: A blow that deals an extra 1d6 dmg/3 levels as well as sickness (Fort DC 10+ ½ monk level + Wis mod) for 1 rnd/3 levels

Hagan: A strike that deals an extra 1d6 dmg/3 levels that heals the monk equal to damage dealt

Tenbu: A kick that connects with an opponent’s pressure point causing them to become weaker. Deals 1d8 dmg/3 levels and deals 1d6 strength damage Fort save for half (DC 10+ ½ Monk level + Wis mod)

Koho: A strike to the head that causes the enemy to slow. Deals 1d8 dmg/3 level and slows the opponent for 1d6+1 rounds Fort save negates (DC 10+ ½ Monk level + Wis mod)

Chikei: A punch designed to gouge an opponent’s eyes. Deals 1d10/ 3 levels and blinds and opponent for 1d6+1 rounds Fort save negates (DC 10+ ½ Monk level + Wis mod)

Suikei: A blow to the temple that stuns the enemy. Deals 1d10 dmg/3 levels and stuns enemy for 1d4+1 rounds Fort save negates (DC 10+ ½ Monk level + Wis mod)

Yamikei: Unleashed two quick blows striking two critical pressure points rendering an opponent helpless. Deals 2d6 dmg/ 3 levels and paralyzes for 1d4+1 rounds Fort save negates (DC 10+ ½ Monk level + Wis mod)

Ki Shot (Su):
A monk is able to harness his Ki and manifest it as an orb of energy. A monk can launch an orb of untyped damage at an opponent as a standard action using a ranged touch attack; however, a monk does not use his dexterity for his attack but his wisdom instead. For every Ki point a monk expends the orb does 1d6 damage and the orb is not susceptible to anti magic fields. A monk may only enhance their Ki Shot up to a maximum of half their monk level.

Slowfall (Ex):
At 4th level or higher, a monk within arm’s reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The monk’s ability to slow her fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with her monk level until at 10th level she can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.

Inner Healing (Su):
A 5th level monk is able to focus their Ki to heal their body. Using a standard action a monk can heal themselves for 1d8 health points per Ki point expended.

Purity of Body (Ex):
At 5th level, a monk gains control over her body’s system. She gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases (such as mummy rot and lycanthropy).

Diamond Body (Ex):
At 7th level, a monk is in such firm control of her own metabolism that she gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Iron Fists (Su):
In the thick of battle a 7th level monk is able to focus their Ki into their fists allowing them to connect blows and deal greater damage to their enemies. As a swift action, for every point of Ki a monk expends they gain a +1 bonus to hit and deals an extra 1d4 damage and may only enhance their fists to a maximum of half their monk level. The effect lasts for round/ 2 levels.

Adamantine Body (Ex):
An 8th level monk is able to concentrate his Ki and channel it to form a second skin around his body. As a swift action a monk gains DR 5/- for one round/ 2 level and expends 2 Ki points. At level 13 a monk may expend 4 Ki points to gain DR 10/- and level 18 he can expend 6 to gain DR 15/-.

Diamond Soul (Su):
A 9th level Monk is able to direct their Ki to mold a barrier around themselves allowing them to deflect magic. As a swift action a monk can expend two Ki points to gain spell resistance 11+ monk level for rounds/ level.

Improved Evasion (Ex):
At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks such as a dragon’s breath weapon or a fireball, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk (such as one who is unconscious or paralysed) does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Elemental Fist (Su):
A 10th level monk is able to convert their Ki into elemental energy and wreathe their hands in the energy. As a swift action a monk can expend their Ki points to enchant their fists with an energy type of their choice. For every Ki point expended they add 1d6 dmg and may only enhance their fists to a maximum of half their monk level. The effect lasts for one round/ 2 levels.

Abundant Step (Su):
At 11th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Their caster level for this effect is one-half their monk level (rounded down).

Flight (Su):
At 12th level a monk is able to use his key to alter the air around him and use it to fly. By expending 5 Ki points a monk gains the ability to fly at their land speed with perfect manoeuvrability for one round per monk level.

Tongue of the Sun and Mind (Ex):
A monk of 13th level or higher can speak with any living creature.

Enhanced Clarity
A monk of the 13th level has attained a level of focus that allows them to see the aura of others thereby making their movements more predictable. A monk at this level may now add their Wisdom modifier to their Attack Roll.

Rubber fist (Su):
A 13th level monk can expend 2 Ki points in order to gain an extra 5 ft. reach. The affect lasts for one round/ 2 levels.

Chained Ki Shot (Su):
At the 14th level a monks Ki has strengthened to the point where they can direct their Ki blasts to rebound off enemies. A monk can cause his Ki shot to split and hit other enemies (up to a maximum of the monk’s wisdom modifier). All subsequent shots deal half damage.

Mighty Fists (Su):
A 14th level monk is able to force their Ki into their fists causing them to grow larger. By expending 3 Ki points a monk’s unarmed strike can be treated as 2 size categories larger. The effect lasts for one round/ 2 levels.

Quivering Palm (Ex):

Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. She can use this quivering palm attack once a week, and she must announce her intent before making her attack roll. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to her monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the monk’s level + the monk’s Wis modifier), it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target is no longer in danger from that particular quivering palm attack, but it may still be affected by another one at a later time.

Empty Body (Ex):
At 16th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 round per monk level per day, as though using the spell etherealness. She may go ethereal on a number of different occasions during any single day, as long as the total number of rounds spent in an ethereal state does not exceed her monk level.

Mind of Oblivion (Ex):
A 16th level monk has attained a level of concentration that render’s an opponent’s attempt to alter his mind futile. A monk with this ability is immune to all mind affecting spells and special abilities.

Timeless Body (Ex):
Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.

Sense the Void (Ex):
A monk that attains the 17th level is able to sense all living beings around them. A monk has the blind sense ability out to 30 ft.

Dispelling Fist (Su):
With their fists a monk is able to dispel magical effects of spells and items. By expending 10 Ki points a monk is able to make a single touch attack that acts like the Mordenkainens Disjunction spell.

Moment of Perfect Stilless (Ex):
Once per day a monk is able to concentrate and causes time to slow down. A monk is able to make 2 full round actions in a single round.

Perfect Self (Ex):
At 20th level, a monk has tuned her body with skill and quasi-magical abilities to the point that she becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider (an extraplanar creature) rather than as a humanoid for the purpose of spells and magical effects. For instance, charm person does not affect her. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/-, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack.

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear back from you.

Edit: Bolded class features, made an entry for Ki Shot, Clarified the death blow

Edit: Fixed greater flurry and added it to my back up table code

Alrox
2011-07-25, 12:03 PM
Okay, another monk fix. I was kind of hesitant to check it out, but I'm glad I did.

Your use of Ki really helps to distinguish the monk from the other more mundane unarmed fighting classes. The Deathblows are a REALLY fun idea, and will definitely throw a bit of fun into the mix of combat, other than just "I run, I flurry, how many times do I hit?"

I do have to ask what role your monk is supposed to be.
If you aim to make it more combat based and think that giving it Full BAB might be too much, might I suggest doing what another Playgrounder did and let them add their Wisdom modifier as an enhancement bonus to their unarmed strikes?

This really is the most fun looking monk fix I've seen in a while, and I can't wait to try it out.

PS: Your 11th level BAB should be +8/+3

Edit: Also, is there a limit to how many ki points you can spend on Iron Fists? Because dumping all of your ki in one sitting for a huge bonus to hit might be a bit powerful.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-25, 12:12 PM
I love the deathblows and wish I thought of it.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-25, 12:13 PM
Alright, so a few things. First of all, I really like this class. The AC is much more manageable than a monk's, and the deathblows are an interesting class feature to add in.

That said, I'm going to offer a few critique points that I think might help.

First of all, bolding the title of your class features would probably help the readability a lot. (You might have noticed that it's a common format on the homebrew forum) In case you don't know the coding, it's [ b ] [ / b ]. No obligation, of course, but it does help you get more reviews when people have an easier time reading it.

Additionally, I realize that your ki pool is listed in the table, but it would really help if you listed it in the class feature section as well. I skipped the table after seeing the saves and BAB progression and went right to the class features, and when you started talking about ki I was really confused. Then I read the table and saw it. But by not stating anything about your ki pool (like an 8 hour rest or meditation or however refills it), we can't know just how good it is. It might seem obvious to you, but reviewers know better than to assume the obvious. Stating these things would help us know the tier.

Another thing: You seem to have weakened the flurry of blows ability (by not adding the greater flurry class feature at level 11). Was this intentional? I thought it was a mistake until I saw the deathblows, then I thought it might have been your way of balancing it. But still, I'm curious.

Other than that, it looks really nice. A good monk fix, all in all. Does this monk still have the Lawful alignment requirement?

Edit: By the way, most daily systems (like power points and spells per day) have a bonus for a high ability score (Wisdom, in this case). It helps represent the character's individual power and rewards the player for buffing his mental stat instead of his combat stat. Just a suggestion.

Mulletmanalive
2011-07-25, 12:42 PM
It's unclear how Deathblows is resolved: is it automatic, require another attack roll, what?

Morbis Meh
2011-07-25, 11:43 PM
Alrighty, lesson learned: never post anything at midnight lol. Anyways, I clarified the deathblow ability, reigned in the use of ki shot, iron fist, and elemental fist, gave wisdom to attack rolls, fixed greater flurry (I missed that by accident), allowed bonus Ki points for a high wisdom and bolded the class features. As for the role of the class I wanted them to be a versatile hit and run fighter that is self sufficient. I am very pleased with the positive feedback but the credit truly goes to Squaresoft for producing Xenogears. I absolutely love Fei Fong Wong and I believe all monks should be as amazing as him (with the exception of going all Id up in peoples gear and riding the gear that will destroy god.....).

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-25, 11:51 PM
Alrighty, lesson learned: never post anything at midnight lol. Anyways, I clarified the deathblow ability, reigned in the use of ki shot, iron fist, and elemental fist, gave wisdom to attack rolls, fixed greater flurry (I missed that by accident), allowed bonus Ki points for a high wisdom and bolded the class features. As for the role of the class I wanted them to be a versatile hit and run fighter that is self sufficient. I am very pleased with the positive feedback but the credit truly goes to Squaresoft for producing Xenogears. I absolutely love Fei Fong Wong and I believe all monks should be as amazing as him (with the exception of going all Id up in peoples gear and riding the gear that will destroy god.....).

Er...I'm sorry to say this, but no you didn't fix greater flurry of blows...

Morbis Meh
2011-07-25, 11:51 PM
Does this monk still have the Lawful alignment requirement?

To answer this simply, no I believe it is silly to make them lawful, I understand the need for discipline and a strict way of life but that does not inhibit their ability to be spontaneous instead of rigid. I made them be any non chaotic and I will also implement handwraps into my games so monks can enchant them to overcome damage reduction as well as gain other abilities

Morbis Meh
2011-07-25, 11:55 PM
....crap on a stick I have been having major issues with posting, I did fix it but everytime I edit the table [ br] becomes <br> so I have to fix that. I did fix it but I forgot to add the fix in to my back up code of the table so when I repasted it wasn't in it, shall fix asap!

Togath
2011-07-26, 12:06 AM
part of the table also says +3/+31d6, which I'm guessing is left over from an alternate monk damage table?

ForzaFiori
2011-07-26, 12:08 AM
With Ki, you say that the monk gains bonus Ki based on their Wisdom modifier. How much extra Ki? Is it equal to their wisdom modifier, or did I miss a table or something?

Morbis Meh
2011-07-26, 12:22 AM
With Ki, you say that the monk gains bonus Ki based on their Wisdom modifier. How much extra Ki? Is it equal to their wisdom modifier, or did I miss a table or something?

Fixed! I clarified that they get bonus Ki points equal to their wisdom Mod.

part of the table also says +3/+31d6, which I'm guessing is left over from an alternate monk damage table?

Yes that was a typo and has been corrected thank you.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-26, 12:25 AM
Unfortunately, by making the class unarmed progression better, you've made it a little worse. That 2d10 was one of the things 20th level monks could look forward to, but by giving it at level 17, you kind of leave a lot less for them to shoot for. I'm not saying it's unbalanced, I'm saying that capstones exist for a reason.

My suggestion? Take it a step further, and keep the progression as is, but make the 20th level grant 4d8 unarmed damage.

Morbis Meh
2011-07-26, 12:51 AM
Unfortunately, by making the class unarmed progression better, you've made it a little worse. That 2d10 was one of the things 20th level monks could look forward to, but by giving it at level 17, you kind of leave a lot less for them to shoot for. I'm not saying it's unbalanced, I'm saying that capstones exist for a reason.

My suggestion? Take it a step further, and keep the progression as is, but make the 20th level grant 4d8 unarmed damage.

Done and done, I was of the same mind actually but at 12 am after getting up at 7 I was too tired to really care lol

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-26, 12:53 AM
Sooo, you can't flurry when not wearing armor?

Morbis Meh
2011-07-26, 12:57 AM
Sooo, you can't flurry when not wearing armor?

Fixed, thank you.