PDA

View Full Version : what is this dwarf wearing?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-25, 12:58 AM
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/4/4e/Moradin.jpg Would you guys help me out with trying to figure out what the dwarf in this picture is wearing as armor? Not important about the jewels and material and stuff. but me and my friend were trying to figure it out. I think it's chain mail or scale mail. It's not urgent or anything, just thought it would be nice to hear your thoughts.

deuxhero
2011-07-25, 01:00 AM
Neither. I think it falls under one of the non-plate heavy armors.

warforged510
2011-07-25, 01:01 AM
I would say...Dwarvencraft scale mail. Possibly banded or splint mail, but I may be mistaking a donning strap for a piece of armor.

Vandicus
2011-07-25, 01:01 AM
Looks like scale mail with a breastplate and some other assorted pieces of armor on top.

Vacant
2011-07-25, 01:03 AM
There's some chainmail, some scale-looking stuff on the skirt, and some more solid, plate-looking armour, so I'd guess it's a representation of half-plate, maybe?

Delcor
2011-07-25, 01:13 AM
My vote goes with scale mail.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-25, 01:22 AM
Scale aka Lamellar. on his legs
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5441869297_a0da194a1e_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5441855821_e5e0d235e1_z.jpg

Finger Gauntlets (with metal cuff)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5442450438_80cf1dccb4_z.jpg

Extremely heavy bracers on his forearms. I'd call them vambraces, but I usually save that word for forearm protection that includes an elbow piece.

On his side and biceps, I see chainmail. Though it could be more scale, just with much smaller scales (no idea why).

And a really heavy kidney belt that's supporting his 'junk protector.'

Zaq
2011-07-25, 01:40 AM
"This dwarf"? You do realize that's Moradin, right? Like, THE Moradin? Just throwin' that out there.

deuxhero
2011-07-25, 01:45 AM
Looks like scale mail with a breastplate and some other assorted pieces of armor on top.

Which fits the description of one of the three heavy armors that isn't plate.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-07-25, 01:56 AM
Looks like a pretty mixed bag, as others have pointed out (we've got chainmail, scale mail, a breastplate, bracers, a helmet of sorts, his "junk protector"(lol), and whatever that elbow armor is); I'd just call it half-plate and be done with it.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-25, 01:57 AM
Rules wise? I'd say it would fall under half-plate. But as others have pointed out it looks like scale mail, with pieces of chain on the arms, and heavier plate pieces on-top.

Xefas
2011-07-25, 02:01 AM
Meh, back in my day, we had an entire optional rule (with tables; it wasn't canon if it didn't have a table) for junk like this. We called it "piecemeal", and it required more math to determine its armor class bonus than creating the entire Fighter that would be wearing it.

edit: And we liked it.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-25, 02:10 AM
Meh, back in my day, we had an entire optional rule (with tables; it wasn't canon if it didn't have a table) for junk like this. We called it "piecemeal", and it required more math to determine its armor class bonus than creating the entire Fighter that would be wearing it.

edit: And we liked it.

You also had to trudge 50 miles through snow to get to school back in those days, right? ;)

Scary thing is, I think that table might have been useful to figure this guy out. o.o

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-25, 02:16 AM
You also had to trudge 50 miles through snow to get to school back in those days, right? ;)

And uphill too! Both ways! So show some respect!

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-25, 02:17 AM
Oh my bad. I completely forgot everything went uphills back in the days. What can I say? I'm just a kid. ;)

Xefas
2011-07-25, 02:18 AM

Actually, I live in Texas. We trudged 50 miles uphill in 0% humidity, 102-degrees-in-the-shade weather to get to school. In December. Occasionally it would rain, and the rain would be hot. The grass was so dry, you could cut yourself on it if you were walking barefoot.

We begged for snow.

Scary thing is, I think that table might have been useful to figure this guy out. o.oThere were a lot of things that were scary back then. Much is said of the fatality of 1st level characters. Less is said of the characters who never made it past creation because the kid you pulled in from the AV club didn't have the balls for THAC0.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-25, 03:53 AM
According to the book from whence that picture comes, he's wearing +5 Fullplate. See Deities & Demigods, page 83-84

It does look more like Interlocking Scale from the Races of Stone book though.

Cerlis
2011-07-25, 05:20 AM
+5 Armor of Many-Wishes...

(well thats what the gems remind me of)

Shpadoinkle
2011-07-25, 05:46 AM
I'd call it half plate, myself. Heavily armored upper body, relatively lighter armored legs to keep from hindering mobility.

hamishspence
2011-07-25, 05:52 AM
There's another Moradin picture by Wayne Reynolds:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd5/Battle_p27.jpg

showing some plate over the chest.

Spiryt
2011-07-25, 06:36 AM
Scale aka Lamellar. on his legs
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5441869297_a0da194a1e_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5441855821_e5e0d235e1_z.jpg

Scale = lamellar.

Scale is armor out of.... scales :smalltongue: sewn or riveted of some kind of more of less soft backing.

In literally thousands of incarnations over the whole world trough ages.

Polish Karacena can be good enough example (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Karacena.JPG), in fact the whole name probably comes from Italian "armor on leather".

Lamellar consists of plates of many shapes etc. bound together in some manner, AFAIK backing can be present, but it has not vital constructional role. No idea how authentic those leather rims are (http://www.wojmir.pl/lamstal089.JPG)

That for Off top, armor is standard RPG Dharkness, in form of scale with a lot of fancy plates on top.... :smallwink:

Personally would definitely rule this as full plate, if only because Moradin wouldn't wear something inferior mechanically....

Larpus
2011-07-25, 08:22 AM
My money's on half-plate.

It's obviously more armored than a breastplate or chain-shirt, while remaining less armored (and apparently more articulated) than a full-plate.

Mr.Smashy
2011-07-25, 08:44 AM
I call Breastplate. In the PHB description of it, it also contains chailmail to protect the lower bits of the wearers body.

He has a BP with modified scales instead of chain.

Also, Moradin would never wear anything other than Dwarven Plate. Cause thats how he Rocks and Rolls.

mootoall
2011-07-25, 08:48 AM
Aww, and here I thought this would be a pimp dwarf thread ...

Urpriest
2011-07-25, 08:57 AM
There's another Moradin picture by Wayne Reynolds:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dd_gallery/dd5/Battle_p27.jpg

showing some plate over the chest.

Is there any confirmation that that's Moradin? Since he's fighting Surt, I would be more likely to go with Thor. He looks more human than dwarf proportionwise, and Thor would also have a hammer on his shield.

Aww, and here I thought this would be a pimp dwarf thread ...

Indeed, what is this dwarf wearing???

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MotP/Gatecrasher.jpg

And where can I buy one?

hamishspence
2011-07-25, 09:30 AM
Is there any confirmation that that's Moradin? Since he's fighting Surt, I would be more likely to go with Thor. He looks more human than dwarf proportionwise, and Thor would also have a hammer on his shield.

Thor's holy symbol has a hammer- but not an anvil. The vertical hammer silhouetted against an anvil, on the guy's shield, is more consistant with Moradin.

And Surt exists in the Greyhawk (and Forgotten Realms) pantheons as a fire giant deity.

Darth_Versity
2011-07-25, 09:40 AM

And where can I buy one?

OMG I must make a Dwarf Beguiler... like, now!!! :smalltongue:

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-25, 10:05 AM

And where can I buy one?

Why is he wearing five rings? Doesn't he know you can only have two working at the same time?

BlueInc
2011-07-25, 10:08 AM

In an Elemental Plane of Minor Annoyances! With a -5 Armor Check Penalty!

DarthCyberWolf
2011-07-25, 10:12 AM
Also, Moradin would never wear anything other than Dwarven Plate.

Eh, with Moradin, anything he wears would be considered Dwarven armor.

Cause thats how he Rocks and Rolls.

Lord_Gareth
2011-07-25, 10:15 AM
Why is he wearing five rings? Doesn't he know you can only have two working at the same time?

Not with the right feats.

Trixie
2011-07-25, 10:44 AM
...better question is how he haven't lost these lockpicks from open loops yet :P

Icedaemon
2011-07-25, 11:00 AM

Two for the power, three for the bling, apparently.

In all fairness, if one really needs a ring of power, wearing a non-magical ring on every finger can help a bit.

mootoall
2011-07-25, 11:04 AM
And now this is a Pimp Dwarf thread. :smallcool:

Trixie
2011-07-25, 11:08 AM

...but he can shift which one works with free action, I believe, which is huge help if you have situational rings.

Slipperychicken
2011-07-25, 11:44 AM

It's obviously masterwork tools for Profession (Pimp).

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-25, 01:04 PM
Maybe I should have linked my previous post to here (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicallyMissingThePoint?from=Main.CompletelyMissi ngThePoint). Anyway, moving swiftly on from ruling quibbles...

And now this is a Pimp Dwarf thread. :smallcool:

... I just typed in 'pimp dwarf dnd' into google images.

Look here. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=653&q=pimp+dwarf+dnd&gbv=2&oq=pimp+dwarf+dnd&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=123l4462l0l4606l14l13l0l8l0l0l249l827l1.3.1 l5)

The first result is that picture, from this thread. 'Tis indeed, the Pimp Dwarf thread.

Fax Celestis
2011-07-25, 01:36 PM
"This dwarf"? You do realize that's Moradin, right? Like, THE Moradin? Just throwin' that out there.

Right. He's The Dwarf™. All other dwarves are mere imitations.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-25, 03:18 PM
In an Elemental Plane of Minor Annoyances! With a -5 Armor Check Penalty!

And a heavy load!

BlueInc
2011-07-25, 03:32 PM
And a heavy load!

We used a -5 point buy system! Core for races and Truenamer, Warrior, Expert, and Commoner for classes!

And we didn't care! Because in those days, we had values!

Pokonic
2011-07-25, 04:05 PM

Why, its simple. They are the rings of power, but the other 2 are on loan somewere.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-25, 04:39 PM
Why, its simple. They are the rings of power, but the other 2 are on loan somewere.
Wonder how many got that?

That's the dwarf from the Gatecrasher PrC right? From either planar handbook or manual of planes?
Never understood why he'd need a keyring to open magical gates.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-25, 04:42 PM
We used a -5 point buy system! Core for races and Truenamer, Warrior, Expert, and Commoner for classes!

And we didn't care! Because in those days, we had values!

Yeah! Back then, we knew how to optimize the hard way! Iaijitsu focus, UMD, handle animal, diplomacy, and craft (underwater basketweaving) were the name of the game! Now you just got those fancy schmancy things like Pun-Pun, God, and Batman!

Marnath
2011-07-25, 04:48 PM

No he's not. That's Laduguer God of the duergar. And it's full plate.

Pokonic
2011-07-25, 05:00 PM
Wonder how many got that?
Who knows.

That's the dwarf from the Gatecrasher PrC right? From either planar handbook or manual of planes?
Never understood why he'd need a keyring to open magical gates.

You never know what you will find in the City Of Doors.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-25, 05:10 PM
Who knows.

You never really don't want to know what you will find in the City Of Doors.

Fixed that for you.

I'm still amazed how quickly this thread became number one on google images for 'pimp dwarf dnd'.

BlueInc
2011-07-25, 06:23 PM
Yeah! Back then, we knew how to optimize the hard way! Iaijitsu focus, UMD, handle animal, diplomacy, and craft (underwater basketweaving) were the name of the game! Now you just got those fancy schmancy things like Pun-Pun, God, and Batman!

Gods? GODS?! Oh, don't even get me started on gods! You kids have more gods than you have Pokeymans! In my day, you couldn't become a god unless you ended at least three multiverses every time you sneezed!

Pokonic
2011-07-25, 08:52 PM
Fixed that for you.
Nah, found this, helps you think of Sigil.

One does not simply walk into Sigil. Its Portals are guarded by more than just magic. There are things there that do not sleep, and the Lady is ever watchful. And if by some miracle you slip past the Mercykillers, what then? There is nowhere to hide in the city. It is a decadent metropolis, riddled with gold, thuggery,intriege ; the very air you breathe is a poison somewere.

Traab
2011-07-25, 08:57 PM
Im going to say scale skirt, chain undershirt, and plate shoulders, chest, helm, gauntlet on one hand and fingerless chain glove on the shield hand, arms, and crotch protection are plate as well.

Aurenthal
2011-07-25, 09:17 PM
Dragonhide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm) Scale Mail Dwarvencrafted

The dragonhide would be of a gold dragon

myancey
2011-07-25, 09:27 PM
I think he's layered in broken rules.

Or yeah, a god.

Greenish
2011-07-25, 10:02 PM
Why, its simple. They are the rings of power, but the other 2 are on loan somewere.Other two? There are 20 rings of power! :smalltongue:

Pokonic
2011-07-25, 10:23 PM
Other two? There are 20 rings of power!

Ahem.

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone.
:smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-07-25, 10:37 PM
Ahem.

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone.
:smalltongue:Well, yeah, but you think the Pimp Dwarf would let such minor things restrict himself?

Pokonic
2011-07-25, 10:59 PM
Well, do we want a invisable,greedy dwarf that can-do-whatever-the-elfs-rings-can-do loose on the universe?So do I
And besides, how will he fit twenty rings on his fingers?

Greenish
2011-07-25, 11:04 PM
Well, do we want a invisable,greedy dwarf that can-do-whatever-the-elfs-rings-can-do loose on the universe?Hell yes!

And besides, how will he fit twenty rings on his fingers?Four each, of course. Simple maths. :smallwink:

Pokonic
2011-07-25, 11:26 PM
But no, does anyone know what the elfs rings do? The humans arguably got the best deal,the whole invisablity and extended lifespan. The dwarves rings drew wealth to the luck owner. And the elfs...?

Greenish
2011-07-25, 11:29 PM
But no, does anyone know what the elfs rings do? The humans arguably got the best deal,the whole invisablity and extended lifespan. The dwarves rings drew wealth to the luck owner. And the elfs...?The one ring has invisibility (among other stuff), I don't think it's specific to the human rings.

The rings of power in general seem to have, well, power. And power equals power, and comes in many forms… :xykon:

Katana_Geldar
2011-07-25, 11:36 PM
That is definitely scale mail.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 12:48 AM
But no, does anyone know what the elfs rings do? The humans arguably got the best deal,the whole invisablity and extended lifespan. The dwarves rings drew wealth to the luck owner. And the elfs...?

Inspire hope for the blue stone (Elrond).
Inspire courage for the red stone (Gandalf).
And I forget what Galadriels ring with the white Adamant stone did.

Mind you, it's been a long time since I read the books, so I might've gotten some details wrong.
Wiki articles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilya_%28Middle-earth%29#Vilya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilya_%28Middle-earth%29#Nenya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilya_(Middle-earth)#Narya

BIGMamaSloth
2011-07-26, 01:00 AM
this is my favorite way in which one of my threads has been derailed. Anyone know the source of that picture?

Rei_Jin
2011-07-26, 01:23 AM
The first picture from which the thread started is of Moradin, and you can find it in Deities & Demigods. The armor is listed as +5 Fullplate. I did already say that, on page 1 of this thread.

The picture of the dwarven pimp is from Manual of the Planes, and the dwarf in question is a Gatecrasher.

hamishspence
2011-07-26, 02:38 AM
No he's not. That's Laduguer God of the duergar. And it's full plate.

Laduguer's depicted in Faiths & Pantheons, and he doesn't look much like that.

The symbol on the shield is the primary reason I think Moradin is the most likely deity in that pic.

NecroRick
2011-07-26, 09:31 AM
And where can I buy one?

Due to the preponderance of Blue, I'd suggest Sharn, City of Towers?

I seem to recall they were obsessed with the colour blue.

Pokonic
2011-07-26, 10:18 AM
Inspire hope for the blue stone (Elrond).
Inspire courage for the red stone (Gandalf).
And I forget what Galadriels ring with the white Adamant stone did.

Mind you, it's been a long time since I read the books, so I might've gotten some details wrong.

Ah, thank you.

The symbol on the shield is the primary reason I think Moradin is the most likely deity in that pic.

I have to agree, and if that giant in that pic is not Surt I dont know what it is.

Marnath
2011-07-26, 04:06 PM
Laduguer's depicted in Faiths & Pantheons, and he doesn't look much like that.

Those two pictures of Moradin don't look much alike either, what's your point? O.o It varies by artist. Just like there's half a dozen or more versions of Lidda.

Pokonic
2011-07-26, 04:18 PM
Edit: double post.

Pokonic
2011-07-26, 04:20 PM
Those two pictures of Moradin don't look much alike either, what's your point? O.o It varies by artist. Just like there's half a dozen or more versions of Lidda.

And in that case, Demigorgan and other demons change apperences so much between editions it not even funny. If you look at the artwork for many of the individual gods/godess between the books that mention them, there is a lot of descrepacy between there exact apperences. However, the thing Moradin is fighting is most definatly Surt.