PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Enlarge Eidolon

Barstro
2011-07-25, 10:41 AM
Edit: should have specified that this is Pathfinder question.

A Summoner can cast Enlarge Person on his Eidolon. Can a Sor/Wiz then cast Permanency on it?

If so, does that effect last until dispelled?

If so, what happens when the Eidolon takes the Large evolution after Enlarge Person was cast on it? Does it increase another size?

Vandicus
2011-07-25, 11:01 AM
Assuming an Eidolon(not familiar with this) is humanoid and that the secondary growth effect is not magical, yes.

*EDIT

It appears someone more familiar with Eidolons has answered the question. Outsiders are not humanoid and therefore fail one of the two requirements.

Engine
2011-07-25, 11:02 AM
A Summoner can cast Enlarge Person on his Eidolon. Can a Sor/Wiz then cast Permanency on it?

If so, what happens when the Eidolon takes the Large evolution after Enlarge Person was cast on it? Does it increase another size?

IMHO, you couldn't cast Enlarge Person on a Eidolon: it's an outsider, and Enlarge Person works on humanoids.

Darth_Versity
2011-07-25, 11:47 AM
IMHO, you couldn't cast Enlarge Person on a Eidolon: it's an outsider, and Enlarge Person works on humanoids.

Not true, the share spells ability allows it.

Share Spells (Ex): The summoner may cast a spell with a target of “you” on his eidolon (as a spell with a range of touch) instead of on himself. A summoner may cast spells on his eidolon even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the eidolon’s type (outsider). Spells cast in this way must come from the summoner spell list. This ability does not allow the eidolon to share abilities that are not spells, even if they function like spells.

I would assume the effect stacks with the Evolutions, but is applied afterwards, even during level up. So it would not cost more evolution points to raise the eidolons size, however thats just my interpretation.

Engine
2011-07-25, 12:34 PM
Not true, the share spells ability allows it.

You're right, my bad.

Larpus
2011-07-25, 02:38 PM
That solely depends on if the Sorc/Wiz can make permanent spells that weren't cast by them. I'd say yes, but check with your DM as I couldn't find anything that either supported or denied it.

Yes, it'd count more or less as if it were wearing a magic item that makes it large, except there is no item.

It does increase in size. Think about it this way:

The Eidolon is Medium and has Enlarge permanently casted on it, so it now is a Large creature due to the spell's effect.

If the Eidolon grows to Large, its base body grows, but it retains the effect of the permanent Enlarge (which goes on top of the now naturally Large size), so the spell now makes it grow to Huge.

The music repeats if you make the Eidolon become Huge, making it become Gargantuan until the permanency effect and/or the Enlarge gets dispelled.

Barstro
2011-07-25, 03:27 PM
I'd say yes, but check with your DM

If only I actually played. These are just thought experiments on a class that I find interesting.

If the Eidolon grows to Large, its base body grows, but it retains the effect of the permanent Enlarge (which goes on top of the now naturally Large size), so the spell now makes it grow to Huge.

That makes sense; "the spell increases the current size", not "the spell increasED the size when cast". I suppose that if the latter were true, it couldn't be dispelled.

Diarmuid
2011-07-25, 03:29 PM
That solely depends on if the Sorc/Wiz can make permanent spells that weren't cast by them. I'd say yes, but check with your DM as I couldn't find anything that either supported or denied it.

The A&EG has prices for NPC castings of Permanency so I think it's pretty safe to say that you can Permancy a spell you didnt cast.