PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying a Half-Celestial?

Dragonexx
2011-07-25, 11:09 AM
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how someone would play a half-celestial. I was wondering how they would fit into various classes or roles, and what sort of personality, or outlook they would have, and how would they typically react to others and how would others react to them?

Yora
2011-07-25, 12:23 PM
It really depends a lot of the setting. In most standard generic fantasy world, that would be really difficult, because you're the child of an angel. The class or mortal ancestor would play a very minor part in how people treat you.
But if you have a setting like planescape where angels and demons mingle with mortals all the time, it wouldn't be anything special.

Dragonexx
2011-07-25, 07:54 PM
I tend to do games with a high magic setting, with things such as magitek and ect. How would a half-celestial fit in to something like that.

And please elaborate on how one would fit into planescape.

gkathellar
2011-07-25, 08:00 PM
"High-magic" and "magitek" don't really tell us anything. What is the relationship between people and the planes/alignment/the gods/outsiders in this setting? What are the planes/alignment powers/celestials like in this setting? These are defining questions.

In Planescape, some people would think, "probably trustworthy because he's half-celestial but you can never be too sure," and the rest just wouldn't care.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-25, 08:05 PM
Depends on the character. A more selfish one might try to take advantage of the good will and trust other people would have in you from being half-angel, but at the same time wouldn't want to draw too much attention in case mummy or daddy are watching.
Others might try to uphold the ideals they have, literally, been born to but suffer under the weight of others expectations, with people expecting you to be always purity and light.
Others don't give a damn either way and forge their own path.
Race is not character. It is a part of the soup, it can be a very important part, but it is by no means the only flavour and texture.

Zonugal
2011-07-26, 02:59 PM
I tend to do games with a high magic setting, with things such as magitek and ect. How would a half-celestial fit in to something like that.

I as well do my campaign setting as high magic (or magitek as you put it) and have treated half-celestials in a manner akin to how Raiden was treated in the first Mortal Kombat film. While most in the setting are use to magical lasers and horrible, abominations from the far realms they are still taken back by a being of pure divinity. They question their tactics & motivations as the half-celestial finds insight from pure divinity as opposed to nationality, creed or organization.

If we look at their abilities & adjust them to how a fifth level half-celestial character might appear they certainly carry a lot of brilliance & awe.

They fly into the battlefield on feathered wings faster than anyone could managed to run. Upon landing a burst of daylight is sent booming from them illuminating the area. As shots of acid splash & magic missile harmlessly bounce off their body they simply walk towards the most vile person in it's vicinity. And as a mighty smite cuts that individual in half the half-celestial immediately launches off to another area of the battlefield to heal a young, wounded soldier.

It isn't hard to imagine similar situations where they mere presence is inspiring & frightening at the same time. In a campaign so grounded in magic and 'technology' they represent the old ways, the forgotten truths that make up the universe & could still swallow it whole if desired.

As to their personality I tend to play it somewhere between a mix of Jacob from LOST, Raiden from Mortal Kombat and Michael as played by John Travolta in Michael. They are humble in their abilities & status (knowing they are mightier than almost any standard human) and in general take joy in the passions & senses of the universe. They enjoy good wine and a night of dancing, as well as the thrill of a battle.

That is basically how I portray half-celestials.