PDA

View Full Version : AD&D, Adventure log of Adrian, magic-user...

Ichneumon
2011-07-25, 11:44 AM
Hi, I've decided to write up an "In Character" journal from the perspective of my character of our AD&D game. I hope you like it. :smallbiggrin:

-Session 1: The Afterparty

July 25. We wake up. The last thing we remember was that we were celebrating the formation of our new adventuring group at an inn and getting drunk. Now, our hands and feet are tied with ropes. We have a headache and have bags over our heads. We hear the voices and laughter of what, if I’m correct, can only be kobolds. I am Adrian, our party's wizard and this is my journal about our jolly adventures.

Our “Club of Jolly Adventurers” consists of 5 people:

There is a human Fighter, who calls himself Sir John the Shining and claims to be the great-great-grandson of the Sun God. He’s arrogant and somewhat of a control-freak and some would say a bit megalomanic. I don’t trust his sense of judgement one bit.

There is a half-elf Cleric. Her name escapes me for a moment, I’ll have to ask her again later. Although she has assured us that she worships the deities of Good, her holy symbols give me the impression this is far from the case. If only I had studied the elven pantheon better, I would be able to put away all of my doubts on the alignment of the mysterious spider goddess she worships.

There is also a rapier-wielding swashbuckling dwarven thief, called Alejandro. He is optimistic, witty and cunning and I think his fast talking will prove us useful. Still, I would be a fool to completely trust someone who’s profession it is to steal and lie.

There is Fredrick, a down-to-earth elf illusionist. He’s somewhat quiet and timid, but honest and of all the members in the group least likely to act rash or unwise. He’s the only member of the group who’s integrity I don’t question.

Last of all, there is me, Adrian the Learned. I’m a human magic-user and I kick ass.

From what the kobolds said to each other, we could make out that they’d found us lying somewhere in a ditch lying unconscious or sleeping (I’m never going to drink so much alcohol ever again). They took our weapons and carried us to their layer. We could also make out that they were going to feed us to “the black lady”. Although we had no idea who this black lady was, we didn’t like the prospect of being eaten at all and with soft whispering voices we discussed what our options were. We quickly concluded that we had no chance escaping as long as the kobolds were with us in the same room. We had to scare them away somehow. The only option we could think of was using my only prepared spell (floating disk) and using it to levitate our cleric (who thankfully isn't that heavy build) into the air, thus hopefully, scarring the kobolds. Miraculously, it worked and the kobolds left the room screaming in fear, thinking the place was haunted. We knew we didn’t have much time and we still hadn’t gotten ourselves loose. Alejandro however managed to get his head out of the bag and managed to bite through Sir John’s ropes.

John quickly freed the rest of us. At that point though, the reïnforcements of the kobolds entered the small room (which turned out to be a chamber filled with loot, garbage and other things the kobolds had stolen from the world above btw). We quickly grabbed a bunch of weapons and defended ourselves against them. We managed to defeat them and killed all of them except for one, who we wanted to use as a hostage. We interrogated him and found out we were in the middle of a big kobold stronghold, housed in what once was a dwarven mining operation.

What followed next were a couple of chases in which we (together with our hostage) fled from room to room, trying to hold back the hoards of angry kobolds. During the chase Fredrick used his Wall of Fog spell to buy us some needed time. Sir John got wounded though and if it hadn't been for our cleric's Cure Light Wounds spell, he'd be dead. At one point we were driven into a room without an exit though except for one locked door. When we realized we were trapped, we tried to bargain with the kobolds (who we held back by barricading the entrance) for the freedom of our hostage. That didn’t work out though as it turned out the kobolds really didn’t care about our hostage. Our cleric had decided that if that was the case we’d just as well might get rid of him and she wanted to slit his throat. Frederick however, protected him and as a reward the kobold gave us the key to unlock the door (we hadn't checked his belongings). We all though this was an act of kindness, but it turned out that behind the door wasn’t a way out at all. It turned out to be the cell of the “black lady” who, as soon as the door was opened, stormed outside to devour everyone in sight. To be honest, most of us at this point, had expected the black lady to be some kind of dragon. This wasn’t the case. Thanksfully, right at that moment the kobolds stormed through our barricade as well...

The black lady was in fact a Darkmantle. I’d personally never seen a Darkmantle before and I really hope I’ll never see a darkmantle ever again. Our hostage laughed maniacally, threw some vulgar language at us and then jumped into the lady’s maw, killing himself, before we could catch (and kill) him ourselves. All the other kobolds panicked as soon as they realized the black lady was lose. Thankfully, the Darkmantle was more interested in the kobolds than in us (maybe because they were the one’s who imprisoned it?).

Anyway, the kobolds panicked and all of them tried to escape, all of them running to the stronghold’s exit as fast as they could, chased by the Darkmantle. Near the exit, the passage became narrow and all the kobolds pushed and pulled each other, wanting to go first. This slowed them down and the darkmantle managed to catch up on them. This resulting in even more panic as the kobolds literally walked over and clawed through each other trying to escape. They were so wild that they knocked down one of the pillars holding the ceiling. The ceiling collapsed, killing the darkmantle, most of the kobolds and blocking our only way out...

Now, again, we’re discussing our options. Digging our way out, removing all of the rubble will take days, if not weeks, but it seems to be our only real option. Sir John came with the idea to go down though, searching for some digging equipment. Since these used to be mines, it seems likely that we’d be able to find some. That would speed up the digging a lot. Hopefully we’d find some food as well

Now, we’re trying to loot the corpes of the kobolds, hoping to find some useful equipment. After we’ve slept, we’ll go down the mines tomorrow...

Lord Torath
2011-08-16, 09:54 PM
Loved the journal! Have any additional entries?

Matthew
2011-08-17, 03:23 PM
Good stuff; must have missed this thread the first time around. Nice to see the time honoured "you are captured by kobolds" opening. :smallbiggrin:

Greylond
2011-08-21, 06:03 PM
there is me, Adrian the Learned. I’m a human magic-user and I kick ass.

Awesome! This IS the only proper attitude for a Magic-user. Love it.