PDA

View Full Version : [3.5][ToB][PEACH] A ToB Ranger Class

Petrocorus
2011-07-25, 01:04 PM
I was reading the ToB and felt a bit disappointed that the create replacement for the Paladin, the Fighter or Barbarian, the Monk, but not for the Ranger.

So i decided to try create it myself, but since my DnD-fu is not that good, i would need help.

The Wildland Warrior
{table=head]
Level|
Base AB|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|
Man. Known|
Man. Readied|
Stance Known|Class Features
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|
3|
3|
1|Track; Wild Empathy
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|
4|
3|
1|Uncanny Dodge
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|
5|
3|
1|Endurance
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|
5|
4|
2|Bonus feat
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|
6|
4|
2|Woodland stride
6th|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+2|
6|
4|
2|Evasion
7th|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+2|
7|
4|
2|Bonus feat
8th|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+2|
7|
4|
2|Swift tracker
9th|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+3|
8|
4|
3|Improved uncanny dodge
10th|
+10|
+7|
+7|
+3|
8|
5|
3|
11th|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+3|
9|
5|
3|Bonus feat
12th|
+12|
+8|
+8|
+4|
9|
5|
3|
13th|
+13|
+8|
+8|
+4|
10|
5|
3|Camouflage
14th|
+14|
+9|
+9|
+4|
10|
5|
4|
15th|
+15|
+9|
+9|
+5|
11|
5|
4|
16th|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+5|
11|
6|
4|
17th|
+17|
+10|
+10|
+5|
12|
6|
5|Hide in plain sight
18th|
+18|
+11|
+11|
+6|
12|
6|
5 |
19th|
+19|
+11|
+11|
+6|
13|
6|
5|
20th|
+20|
+12|
+12|
+6|
13|
7|
5|
[/table]

Hit Dice: D8

Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill points per level: 6

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Maneuvers and Stance: Chosen among the Diamond Mind, Shadow Hand, Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw disciplines.

Class Features:

Track, Wild Empathy, Endurance, Woodland stride, Evasion, Swift tracker, Camouflage, Hide in plain sight: Identical to the Ranger's class features.

Uncanny dodge, Improved uncanny dodge: Identical to the Rogue's class features.

Bonus feat: Chosen among the same list that the Fighter.

So, i have doubt on a lot of things.

The choice of the martial disciplines, do they fit the ranger fluff?

The class skills: I simply copied the Ranger class skills and added Martial Lore.
is this OK?

The readying and recovering method for maneuvers, i was considering using the same that the Warblade, but i would like something more original.

I give 1 more stance known than the Warblade at high level, because i want the possibility to take advantage on the stances that are useful out of fight. is this cheesy?

I was considering to give it an Animal Companion, or Favoured enemy, or Favoured Environment. Would that fit?

I have no capstone for the 20th level. I need one.

I'm not sure neither of the name of the class itself. If anyone has a better idea.

Any other comment would be welcome.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-09-05, 04:13 PM
I suggest you reformat the tables in a way that the maneuvers are on the right of the Special abilities.

I also suggest adding Desert Wind and White raven Disciplines as a start.

Morph Bark
2011-09-05, 05:26 PM
I also suggest adding Desert Wind and White raven Disciplines as a start.

Those aren't very Ranger-y disciplines though.

Setting Sun could do (there is a grappling combat feat chain for Rangers to replace TWF/archery after all) and perhaps Devoted Spirit. You could alternatively add some homebrew ranged disciplines.

Starsinger
2011-09-05, 05:54 PM
Those aren't very Ranger-y disciplines though.

On the contrary, Desert Wind is a fantastic Ranger-y discipline if he's from a more arid climate. Ranger's aren't always set in the woods.

Yitzi
2011-09-05, 07:31 PM
The thing that makes the Ranger so hard to work with (and yet on the other hand so potentially awesome) is that he's at least as similar to a rogue as a fighter. So whatever your ranger fix is, it should focus heavily on boosting and synergizing with his skills. So you probably want mobility-based things (since the ability to hide synergizes great with the ability to get away), stuff that's based on attacking unexpectedly, anything that focuses more on choosing when to fight than on winning the fight, etc.

Not having ToB, I don't know whether that's a discipline list or a call for a whole new set of disciplines, but that's the approach to take.

Brogen
2011-09-05, 07:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is covered by maneuvers, but one of the best parts of the original ranger class was it gave you the two-weapon fighting feats without having to qualify, which meant you could two-weapon fight without having to have a high dex.

So maybe offer in the bonus feats, requirementless two-weapon fighting or something.

Greenish
2011-09-06, 05:50 AM
On the contrary, Desert Wind is a fantastic Ranger-y discipline if he's from a more arid climate.Aside from the name, Desert Wind doesn't really have anything to do with deserts, or any kind of ranger-y activity.

Morph Bark
2011-09-06, 06:28 AM
On the contrary, Desert Wind is a fantastic Ranger-y discipline if he's from a more arid climate. Ranger's aren't always set in the woods.

I meant with regards to the fire damage, not setting-wise.