PDA

View Full Version : (PF only) Pumping CMB

WarKitty
2011-07-25, 03:21 PM
I'm doing a build specifically around the "dirty trick" maneuver in pathfinder. Agile maneuvers/weapon finesse are in play, using a spiked chain. Enlarge person won't do anything for my CMB (-2 dex for +1 bonus). Taking the obvious feats (improved/greater). Any other things to do to increase CMB?

Larpus
2011-07-26, 10:00 AM
Depending on the ratio of Str vs Dex, it might be good to grab Agile Maneuvers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/agile-maneuvers-combat), which replaces the Str modifier for your Dex modifier when calculating CMB.

Also, for the trip maneuver there is the Fury's Fall (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fury-s-fall-combat) feat that adds your Dex bonus to the normal CMB calculation for trip attempts (and by extension, if you have Agile Maneuvers, your Str modifier is added to trip instead).

But other than that, the only way I know is through bumping your relevant stat with magic, equipment and/or class features (such as Barbarian's Rage or Alchemist's Mutagen).

subject42
2011-07-26, 10:35 AM
The Coordinated Maneuvers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/coordinated-maneuvers-combat-teamwork) teamwork feat also grants a bonus. If you're an inquisitor, you can use these as if your allies had them, even if they don't.

Two levels in Low Templar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/low-templar) net you another +2 untyped bonus.

Mojo_Rat
2011-07-26, 11:27 AM
first thing to realize is for the purpose of the dirty trick maneuver the spiked chain is mostly irrelevant ( I'n terms of how weapons affect combat maneuvers)

basically you need a high stat flank and buff spells.

bless
heroism
ally doing aid another.

more relevant to the spiked chain if you trip your target first they get --4 to their cmd. but given dirty tricks is not done I'n place of an attack doing this will be hard unless someone else trips.

WarKitty
2011-07-26, 11:45 AM
Spiked chain is in play because (1) it's finessable, (2) it's cool, and (3) it's easier to justify (I'm assuming the DM will want some description of how I'm attempting the trick). I'm using primarily a bard chassis, so various buff spells and bardic music will be in play. I'd rather not rely on allies because in my experience they aren't coordinated enough to be useful.

Mojo_Rat
2011-07-26, 01:49 PM
your weapon is only involved I'n combat maneuvers if that weapon is flagged for the combat maneuver. the exceptions being disarm and sunder. you need a tripping weapon to trip etc.

the spiked chain provides excellent bonuses as a trip weapon. the only benefit it has for dirty tricks is it's a chain and can be used to justify entangle but does not provide any bonuses on the cmb roll

I appologies if I misunderstood something but your op said dirty tricks was your focus.

Frosty
2011-07-26, 02:31 PM
first thing to realize is for the purpose of the dirty trick maneuver the spiked chain is mostly irrelevant ( I'n terms of how weapons affect combat maneuvers)

basically you need a high stat flank and buff spells.

bless
heroism
ally doing aid another.

more relevant to the spiked chain if you trip your target first they get --4 to their cmd. but given dirty tricks is not done I'n place of an attack doing this will be hard unless someone else trips.

As far as I know, Flanking does not add to your CMB. the roll for Maneuvers is always 1d20 + CMB.

WarKitty
2011-07-26, 03:16 PM
your weapon is only involved I'n combat maneuvers if that weapon is flagged for the combat maneuver. the exceptions being disarm and sunder. you need a tripping weapon to trip etc.

the spiked chain provides excellent bonuses as a trip weapon. the only benefit it has for dirty tricks is it's a chain and can be used to justify entangle but does not provide any bonuses on the cmb roll

I appologies if I misunderstood something but your op said dirty tricks was your focus.

That...was kind of my point.

Mojo_Rat
2011-07-27, 12:48 AM
As far as I know, Flanking does not add to your CMB. the roll for Maneuvers is always 1d20 + CMB.

any bonuses to hit will improve your cmb roll. if you trip a flanked person with a +5 spiked chain you add+7 to the roll. throw I'n heroism and bless then it's +10 over your normal cmb.