PDA

View Full Version : Some Basic Weapon Abilities [3.5]

Lix Lorn
2011-07-25, 04:04 PM
Mighty Weapon
Weapon Enhancement (+1 bonus, requires Bull’s Strength on class spell list and caster level 3rd)
A Mighty Weapon strikes with the force of a meteor, ruining it's targets.
A Mighty Weapon increases its enhancement bonus to damage by two. For the purposes of effects that differentiate between magical weapon abilities and their enhancement bonus, treat this ability instead as a +1 enhancement bonus, if that would be advantageous.

Weapon of Striking
Weapon Enhancement (+1 bonus, requires Cat’s Grace on class spell list and caster level 3rd)
A Weapon of Striking guides its bearers blows, bringing them to an inevitable clash with a weak point.
A Weapon of Striking increases its enhancement bonus to attack rolls by two. For the purposes of effects that differentiate between magical weapon abilities and their enhancement bonus, treat this ability instead as a +1 enhancement bonus, if that would be advantageous.

Featherweight Weapon
Weapon Enhancement (+1 bonus, requires Mighty Wallop and Caster level 6th)
A Featherweight weapon feels light in its wielders hands, while striking its foes with just as much force.
A Featherweight weapon is treated as one size smaller in all situations in which this would be advantageous. This means it is wielded without penalty by a smaller user, but does NOT suffer a damage reduction.

Design Notes
I've often thought you should be able to put more enhancement into hitting, or into damage, rather than splitting them. And I've intended to write these out for a bit. Originally, you could take them more than once, but I then realised Striking+Power Attack was +4 damage constantly, making Might useless.
Also, yes, the names were stolen from WH.

As for Featherweight, people were pointing out that Monkey Grip is a terrible feat. It's equivalent to 1d6 damage, which is the same as Frost or Flaming, but causes a penalty. However, it looks awesome. This should fix it?

Mulletmanalive
2011-07-25, 05:59 PM
Sword of Striking in Warhammer adds a bonus to hit: yours adds a bonus to damage. You sure you didn't mean it to be a bonus on attack rolls?

As to the rest, these were both done previously by various 3rd parties under different names. They work, ain't going to argue, though i can't see many taking the mighty weapon option...

Lix Lorn
2011-07-25, 06:24 PM
Derp. I edited it wrong, thanks.

They were? I hadn't seen them, but I guess they're too obvious to not exist.

erikun
2011-07-25, 08:33 PM
Might Weapon sounds a lot like Collision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#collision), although at +1 bonus for +2 damage rather than +2 bonus for +5 damage. The two together on the same weapon could be rather good.

I note that a +5 Mighty Striking weapon has +7 to hit and +7 to damage. Interesting, although I'm not sure if that is intended.

Lix Lorn
2011-07-26, 05:17 PM
Might Weapon sounds a lot like Collision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#collision), although at +1 bonus for +2 damage rather than +2 bonus for +5 damage. The two together on the same weapon could be rather good.

I note that a +5 Mighty Striking weapon has +7 to hit and +7 to damage. Interesting, although I'm not sure if that is intended.
Entirely intentional on both parts.