PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Albums of 2011 (So Far)

FlashRah
2011-07-25, 08:43 PM
Because we nearly derailed the Radiohead thread with this I felt it necessary to start a thread that we may out hipster each other on topic! Assuming you can see or your speech program is working right you can probably hazard a guess as to the nature of this thread. That's right, it's about knitting. Here's my list.

1. Space is Only Noise by Nicolas Jaar
2. Gloss Drop by Battles
3. Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes
4. In Love with Oblivion by Crystal Stilts
5. SBTRKT by SBTRKT
6. Returnof4eva by Big K.R.I.T
7. James Blake by James Blake
8. Ravedeath, 1972 by Tim Hecker
9. Smother by Wild Beasts
10. Creep On Creepin' On by Timber Timbre
11. Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 by The Beastie Boys
12. Belong by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
13. Rythmatic Eternal King Supreme by REKS
14. Let England Shake by PJ Harvey
15. Burst Apart by The Antlers

Incomplete obviously. I only recently listened to the new Liturgy and the new CunninLynguists and am pondering if and where they belong on the list and other albums I just don't own yet. Sorry Beyonce.

Das Platyvark
2011-07-25, 09:21 PM
16: The Light Fantastic, by Man-Man

Moff Chumley
2011-07-26, 02:15 PM
Strokes, tUnE-yArDs, Fleet Foxes, et cetera.

The King of Limbs, of course.

Bon Iver's new album was completely disappointing, though. While I applaud him for not trying to reuse the same shtick as his first album, I wish he had stronger songs on the new one, shtick or no.

Also, I haven't listened to prog rock in ages, but my dad pretty much forced me to listen to Amplifier's album. The Octopus was shockingly good, and while I wouldn't call it a favorite, I think it deserves mention.

Mx.Silver
2011-07-27, 02:28 PM
I'm not actually sure how many good albums released this year I've heard (my top three would be Amplifie's The Octopus, Foo Fighter's Wasting Light* and Radiohead's King of Limbs - probably in that order). If I find anything else, I'll get back to you.

*Pretty sure this counter-acts any hipster points I've otherwise accumulated :smalltongue:

Also, I haven't listened to prog rock in ages, but my dad pretty much forced me to listen to Amplifier's album. The Octopus was shockingly good, and while I wouldn't call it a favorite, I think it deserves mention.

Your dad is officially an awesome man. :smallcool:

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 02:00 AM
Amplifier is also immediate disqualification for Hipsterdom, as is most Prog except King Crimson and maybe Pink Floyd...

I'm not sure why Angles has received so much flak. It's 80s inspired, yes, but they pull it off fantastically, and really, they're just moving from, like, Gang of Four to Blondie in terms of influence... I use both of those loosely, of course.

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 03:06 AM
Amplifier is also immediate disqualification for Hipsterdom, as is most Prog except King Crimson and maybe Pink Floyd...

I'm not sure why Angles has received so much flak. It's 80s inspired, yes, but they pull it off fantastically, and really, they're just moving from, like, Gang of Four to Blondie in terms of influence... I use both of those loosely, of course.

There's nothing particularly wrong with being 80s inspired but what I was turned off by about Angles was the inconsistency. Sure you had freaking amazing tracks like Under Cover of Darkness and Taken For A Fool but to balance it out you have tracks like Two Kinds of Happiness or You're So Right which, to my ears at least, were possibly the worst songs The Srokes ever put out.

I get that The Strokes are trying something new and I applaud that, truth be told I'd rather listen to an album that's mediocre because it tried and failed than an album that's mediocre because it's corporate committee designed sludge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasers_%28album%29) burped out with all the warmth and care of a broken toaster. I don't want another Is This It, I already have that album. So good on them for experimenting but for the life of me they're just not very good at it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Impressions_of_Earth)

Also, I'd be curious to hear what you think of Nicolas Jaar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXDSkG0dGoQ) if you have the time.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 03:11 AM
Eh, it sounds like club music by someone who's never been to a club. Like he's going for the DFA sound, but more indie.

Not that it's bad, I just certainly don't see how it's anything more than "pretty interesting".

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 03:26 AM
Eh, it sounds like club music by someone who's never been to a club. Like he's going for the DFA sound, but more indie.

Not that it's bad, I just certainly don't see how it's anything more than "pretty interesting".

How many others on my list have you listened to?

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 03:31 AM
2. Gloss Drop by Battles
3. Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes
7. James Blake by James Blake
12. Belong by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart
14. Let England Shake by PJ Harvey
15. Burst Apart by The Antlers

All of which, aside from the Fleet Foxes record, get a resounding "meh" from me, for one reason or another.

Battles, I just preferred the sound they had on their first album. Nothing wrong with experimentation and growth, but I feel no obligation to try to appreciate the second album just because I liked the first.

James Blake and Pains of Being Pure At Heart, I just can't get myself to care about. PJ Harvey I never cared for, and I always thought The Antlers were a more critically acceptable ripoff of DJ Shadow.

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 03:38 AM
All of which, aside from the Fleet Foxes record, get a resounding "meh" from me, for one reason or another.

Battles, I just preferred the sound they had on their first album. Nothing wrong with experimentation and growth, but I feel no obligation to try to appreciate the second album just because I liked the first.

James Blake and Pains of Being Pure At Heart, I just can't get myself to care about. PJ Harvey I never cared for, and I always thought The Antlers were a more critically acceptable ripoff of DJ Shadow.

Well at least we agree on one thing (two if you count LCD Soundsystem).

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 03:41 AM
What, you didn't like Battles' debut? :smalltongue:

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 03:46 AM
What, you didn't like Battles' debut? :smalltongue:

I'll let you know when I hear it.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 03:47 AM
Get on that, son. Lot more out there then their second album, you need to go into it with an open mind...

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 03:49 AM
Get on that, son. Lot more out there than there second album, you need to go into it with an open mind...

Forgive me but considering our massively distant tastes I might have to take that with salt there. Actually you give me an idea...

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 04:03 AM
I'm not sure I would describe our tastes as "massively distant", seeing as I haven't a clue what pre-2011 music you like, and I'm not sure you have any idea what I usually listen to. :smalltongue:

By all standards, Battle's debut is a pretty bizarre album, and it took me and most of my friends a couple of listens to really get into it.

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure I would describe our tastes as "massively distant", seeing as I haven't a clue what pre-2011 music you like, and I'm not sure you have any idea what I usually listen to. :smalltongue:

By all standards, Battle's debut is a pretty bizarre album, and it took me and most of my friends a couple of listens to really get into it.

Double post

Well obviously I'm going on what we've learned so far. :smallannoyed: Besides I know other things about your taste that I disagree with. How can anyone dislike Peter Gabriel and Genesis? For shame Moff.

Would you be open to an unconventional idea?

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 04:27 AM
Hit me, brother.

EDIT: Also, taking this to PM is probably a good idea.

Mx.Silver
2011-07-28, 04:43 AM

This was also my impression.

How can anyone dislike Peter Gabriel and Genesis? For shame Moff.
Disliking Peter Gabriel is an unforgiveable sin.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-28, 04:46 AM
I've never spent much time listening to Peter Gabriel, and I like what little I've heard. Genesis, though, I'm totally indiferent. I've heard all of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and most of Selling England, and they did absolutely nothing for me.

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 04:54 AM
Disliking Peter Gabriel is an unforgiveable sin.

I'm starting to feel like I could have picked a better track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e078shD8vGM). I usually don't pick the best track because I want the potential listener to find it for themselves. This isn't the best either but it's more representative of the album's content.

Mx.Silver
2011-07-28, 05:07 AM
I'm starting to feel like I could have picked a better track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e078shD8vGM). I usually don't pick the best track because I want the potential listener to find it for themselves. This isn't the best either but it's more representative of the album's content.
I don't speak french, so the monologue doesn't do much for me really (hell, I find the ones Godspeed You! Black Emperor use a bit tedius and those I can actually understand). Rest of the album that I've heard (Colomb, Spectres of the Future, Problems with the Sun) doesn't really do much for me either, I'm afraid.

FlashRah
2011-07-28, 05:12 AM
I don't speak french, so the monologue doesn't do much for me really (hell, I find the ones Godspeed You! Black Emperor use a bit tedius and those I can actually understand). Rest of the album that I've heard (Colomb, Spectres of the Future, Problems with the Sun) doesn't really do much for me either, I'm afraid.

Oh well I guess I just have to accept the fact the some people don't have as good a taste in music as I do don't have the same opinions as I do

Mx.Silver
2011-07-29, 02:50 PM
Upon further examination it turns out I have listened to 5 2011 albums in their enitrety which I would rank as follows.

1. The Octopus by Amplifier
2. Wasting Light by Foo Fighters - it's ether their best album since There is Nothing Left to Lose or just their best album)
3. Welcome to my DNA by Blackfield
4. King of Limbs by Radiohead - not as quite as good as the above three but I wouldn't say that's anything to be ashamed

5. Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray by Seether - pretty clearly the black sheep on this list. Not a terrible album but, much like Seether themselves, it is rather hit-and-miss and I wouldn't really call it a favourite.

The Extinguisher
2011-08-01, 12:02 PM
You hipster kids and your hipster music.

Favourite Albums of 2011

1: Rise Against - Endgame
2: Suckerpunch Soundtrack
3: Cold War Kids - Mine is Yours
4: City and Colour - Little Hell
5: The Strokes - Angles

SympathyBot
2011-08-01, 12:36 PM
Albums Ive enjoyed this year

1. Cherish the Light Years by Cold Cave
2. Civilian by Wye Oak
3. Go Tell Fire to the Mountain by Wu Lyf
4. Loud Planes Fly Low by The Rosebuds

Crusader808
2011-08-01, 12:42 PM
So far this year Martin Solveig's Smash and Dirty Vegas' Electric Love have gotten many many listens from me

Dienekes
2011-08-01, 01:12 PM
Alpocalypse, not his best but still funny. I think it's because most of his parodies this time around where pop songs which I've never had a taste for.