PDA

View Full Version : Top 9 Sorc cantrips

NineThePuma
2011-07-26, 01:53 AM
I usually ignore cantrips, but what's the best 9 cantrips I can throw on a Sorcerer?

Kojiro
2011-07-26, 01:58 AM
Well, judging from that other thread, Prestidigitation is a sound choice. Detect Magic seems like it'd be practically mandatory, meanwhile, and Read Magic is good too. Other than that... Hm. Depends on what you want to be able to do with the spells, I guess.

Togath
2011-07-26, 02:07 AM
There is a cantrip in the spell compendium that works as a magic version of a copy machine(copying 1 page per minute if I remember correctly), also ghost sound can help with diversions.

Malimar
2011-07-26, 02:13 AM
There is a cantrip in the spell compendium that works as a magic version of a copy machine(copying 1 page per minute if I remember correctly), also ghost sound can help with diversions.

That would be amanuensis. It only works on non-magical text, and you have to supply the paper.

As for answering the question: What the above posters said. Plus, I usually go with light, though the average party tends to have buttloads of light source options, so it's a good backup. Also: stick. You can find clever things to do with stick.

Groverfield
2011-07-26, 02:28 AM
Mage Hand is kinda bad, but for a Sorcerer that doesn't HAVE to prepare, it's a good "I look through the keyhole, see the key on that table, cast mage hand and drag the key along the floor so I can unlock it."

Message, another one where utility scales with imagination. Party has to split up? Well, you've got partial communication between the party. Want to torment some villager who's wronged you. Keep using this message, telling them to kill people. Instantity!

Arcane Mark, write "Elbereth" on the floor in an emergency. See if the DM gets the reference.

sonofzeal
2011-07-26, 02:42 AM
Detect Magic is often useful. It is simultaneously a poor man's Identify, and a poor man's True Seeing. Even better, not only does it find invisible enemies for you, it also significantly helps against mundane hiding ones as long as they're wearing magic items.

Light, as mentioned, is a nice backup. Unlike other sources of illumination it's easy to cast it on a pebble and then chuck that pebble around for some dynamic visibility solutions.

Candle is an alternative to Light. Lower illumination, but much longer duration. Sometimes that's more useful, especially for static things.

Caltrops are hilarious, and lead to a lot of creative solutions.

Launch Item and Create Water are also "creative" cantrips that can be exactly what you need in a certain situation.

Naturewatch... I once had a custom magic item of continuous Naturewatch, and it was really useful for scouting.

Silvered Weapon, depends on the campaign, but could be invaluable.

only1doug
2011-07-26, 03:31 AM
Mage Hand is kinda bad, but for a Sorcerer that doesn't HAVE to prepare, it's a good "I look through the keyhole, see the key on that table, cast mage hand and drag the key along the floor so I can unlock it." as it can be replicated at will by a 900gp item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handoftheMage).

Fixed that for you.

Popertop
2011-07-26, 04:19 AM
Acid splash as a cantrip isn't the best, but if you can have 0 level wands its pretty good for low levels.

I'm not entirely sure 0 level wand is even possible...

Cruiser1
2011-07-26, 05:30 AM
Mending is useful. And of course, Dancing Lights (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0512.html) can be frighteningly powerful. :smallwink:

Pippa the Pixie
2011-07-26, 01:41 PM
I like :

Control flames
School Transmutation
Descriptor
Fire
Level Sor/Wiz 0
components V,S,M
casting time 1 standard action
range 5 feet
target
effect up to one square foot of flames
area
duration 1 hour
saving throw None
spell resistance No

This cantrip can control the effects of any normal flames. The flames can be made to change to any color. The flames can be made to burn hotter, brighter, cooler, or dimer.

Cut
School Transmutation
Descriptor
Level Sor/Wiz 0, Brd 0
components V,S
casting time 1 swift action
range Close
target 1 unattended, nonmagical object, not thicker than 1 inch/level
effect
area
duration Instantaneous
saving throw Fortitude negates
spell resistance No

By means of this spell, thin objects such as rope, cord, delicate chain, wire, cloth, wax candles, sausages, and the like, up to 1 inch thick per caster level, can be instantly severed. The caster must be able to see the object to be cut, and it must be within close range. The verbal component is a soft "snick" sound, and the somatic component is a scissoring motion made with two adjoining fingers. Magical (even temporarily ensorcelled) objects and living beings are unaffected by this spell.

Flame of Anor
2011-07-26, 02:14 PM
...sausages?

SleepyBadger
2011-07-26, 02:24 PM
I'm not entirely sure 0 level wand is even possible...
Sure it is but it would cost 375*1*1 gp. (CL needs to be 1, spell level counts as 1).

Scarlet-Devil
2011-07-26, 02:29 PM
Silvered Weapon, depends on the campaign, but could be invaluable.

What book is Silvered Weapon from?

sonofzeal
2011-07-26, 02:31 PM
What book is Silvered Weapon from?
It's from "Mintiper's Chapbook". No I've never heard of it either, but it's listed on the WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/mc) so apparently it's official.

Silvered Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Pal 1, Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One weapon or projectile
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

You transform a single weapon or projectile into a silvered weapon or silvered projectile. A silvered weapon or projectile functions as a normal item of its type, except that silvered weapons or projectiles can hurt some creatures that can resist damage from normal weapons, such as werewolves.

Material Component: A silver coin.

aquaticrna
2011-07-26, 02:35 PM
silent portal is one of my favorite... mostly because i've played with dm's that LOVE squeaky doors and windows, though it's entirely useless if you're not planning on doing any sneaking