PDA

View Full Version : Wight at lowest possible lvl

Adamaro
2011-07-26, 02:02 AM
I want to cause a wightplague in this city, but am kind of annoyed that it takes a lvl 11 cleric and Create undead spell to get this monster up and running.

I need some Pun-Pun-ish ideas of how to invoke a wight by being a mere lowly commoner and not a badass lvl 11 cleric.

All ideas are welcome. I am a DM btw, so I can just make stuff up, but I would still like to solve this within rules and mechanics if possible.

Zaq
2011-07-26, 02:04 AM
Negative levels + 1st-level victim = Wight. It's really just a matter of how early you can snag negative levels. A human Sorcerer with Fell Drain and Versatile Spellcaster can probably pull it off at level 1.

Groverfield
2011-07-26, 02:09 AM
level 1 rogue had an awesome day, and not only made a badass check to pick the pockets of a necromancer with a certain scroll, but successfully (or unsuccessfully, however you want to put it) activated it with UMD, and he was wighted out.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-26, 02:11 AM
Negative levels + 1st-level victim = Wight. It's really just a matter of how early you can snag negative levels. A human Sorcerer with Fell Drain and Versatile Spellcaster can probably pull it off at level 1.

To be more specific, a Human or Strongheart Halfling Sorcerer with the cantrip Sonic Snap and the metamagic feats Fell Drain and Versatile Spellcaster can cast a 0th level spell that causes 1 negative level with no attack roll or saving throw.

A wight will rise from the result of this spell.

Curious
2011-07-26, 02:13 AM
If you can use Pathfinder, you could take the Magical Lineage trait, which lowers a spells effective level by 1 when metamagic is applied, for a 0 level spell like Ray of Frost. Then, apply Fell Drain, and kill 1st level commoners.

Zaq
2011-07-26, 02:13 AM
To be more specific, a Human or Strongheart Halfling Sorcerer with the cantrip Sonic Snap and the metamagic feats Fell Drain and Versatile Spellcaster can cast a 0th level spell that causes 1 negative level with no attack roll or saving throw.

A wight will rise from the result of this spell.

Technically, it's a 0th level spell raised to a 2nd level slot (Fell Drain is a +2 metamagic) and paid for with two 1st level slots (since Versatile Spellcaster lets you do that).

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-26, 02:20 AM
Technically, it's a 0th level spell raised to a 2nd level slot (Fell Drain is a +2 metamagic) and paid for with two 1st level slots (since Versatile Spellcaster lets you do that).

Ah. See, it's a good thing you're here. Otherwise I'd have messed that one up BIG time.

Reluctance
2011-07-26, 02:24 AM
Like everybody else is pointing out, if you die from having negative levels equal to your HD, you die and come back as a wight. It's not hard to find ways to inflict negative levels if you look for them.

If you're going for the accidental wightpocalypse, I'm thinking that high-level negligence is probably better than a narrowly focused low-level build. Mid-level adventurers get jumped by bandits somewhere near the town, the wizard casts Enervation and drops one, and the party rides on without a second thought. The next morning, a wight with slightly higher than average intelligence rises, and decides to set up shop in a city full of yummy low-levels.