PDA

View Full Version : Melee and Magic build: PathFinder

DMfromTheAbyss
2011-07-26, 02:43 AM
OK I have an upcoming game using the pathfinder system. I also have an old concept I want to try and play. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or build ideas to help.

The concept is a "wizard" who is also good at wrecking people at close range. A combination of touch spells and feats to make him dangerous even when he finally gets closed with.

Mobility and magical ranged/AOE attacks by all means still acceptable, I just want him to be rather surprisingly good in close. Weither this can best be accomplished by his selection of spells, dipping classes or any prestige like classes is up to debate. I doubt I will be able to depend upon equipment from what I've heard of the game so far though.

In 3.5 this character might have been a monk/wizard/enlightened fist style of character, or even just a sorcerer or warlock with improved unarmed and some dirty tricks, but I'm not sure how well the pathfinder system can best make this concept happen.

Anybody have any ideas or class/build suggestions?

Curious
2011-07-26, 02:44 AM
Yes. Play a Magus. It gets to use touch spells with normal attacks, like two-weapon fighting.

Zeikstraal
2011-07-26, 05:30 AM
Magus is a good one, there is a guide somewhere in the forums also.

Prime32
2011-07-26, 07:55 AM
See the magus's Close Range talent, which is effectively the Enlightened Fist's Hold Ray.

If 3rd-party is okay, Vanguard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/s/vanguard) also works. Its channeling works more like 3.5's duskblade, and Spell Block + related abilities are awesome.