PDA

View Full Version : A matter of Factotum

marcielle
2011-07-26, 02:44 AM
Factotums . Who says generalization doesn't pay?

Tons has been said about boosting their skill checks sky high but what about combat and spellcasting.

I am looking to compile general advice on how to build Factotums wih significant combat and casting ability.

Weapon, feats, multiclassing, spellchoices,etc.
And let's keep this as cheeseless as possible, shall we?

Curious
2011-07-26, 02:48 AM
. . . Play gestalt?
Otherwise, you basically just described the class as-is. It's got combat ability, spells, skills, and turning. Pretty much anything you could ever want.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-26, 03:34 AM
There's a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0) for that, as usual. Unless you're a wu jen. Poor, neglected wu jen.

marcielle
2011-07-26, 06:54 AM
Thanks. This is pretty awesome. That's casting taken care off. It's a bit lacking on the combat side of things. But I just assume thats because of the whole magic>>>>melee thing.

Anyway, if anyone has any melee tips or even fun ideas, thanks in advance.:smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-26, 06:59 AM
Factotums . Who says generalization doesn't pay?

Tons has been said about boosting their skill checks sky high but what about combat and spellcasting.

I am looking to compile general advice on how to build Factotums wih significant combat and casting ability.

Weapon, feats, multiclassing, spellchoices,etc.
And let's keep this as cheeseless as possible, shall we?

Obviously, you've never heard of the Haberdash... it's a factorum who has insane damage output thanks to Font of Inspiration to the point of ridiculousness, Gladiator Mask, Gnomish Quickrazors, and Iajitsu Focus. A death of a thousand cuts... and each of those cuts doing significant damage.

As far as spellcasting, most gestalt casters have at least Factorum8 to abuse the extra actions, although I could easily see them sliding into UrPriest for powerful casting and lots of actions...

IthilanorStPete
2011-07-26, 09:13 AM
Obviously, you've never heard of the Haberdash... it's a factorum who has insane damage output thanks to Font of Inspiration to the point of ridiculousness, Gladiator Mask, Gnomish Quickrazors, and Iajitsu Focus. A death of a thousand cuts... and each of those cuts doing significant damage.

What method does it use for making the opponents flat-footed? Confound the Big Folk?

Person_Man
2011-07-26, 09:43 AM
What method does it use for making the opponents flat-footed? Confound the Big Folk?

Here's the Haberdash thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633). To make enemies Flat Footed so that they qualify for Iaijutsu Focus, you can either use Confound the Big Folk (+Reduce Person or Alter Self if needed) and/or Skill Tricks. There are 4 different Skill Tricks which render your enemy Flat Footed (not just denied your Dex bonus). Complete Warrior also has an alternate use of Sleight of Hand which lets you draw a dagger as a free action and treat your enemy as Flat Footed for your next attack after 2 rounds of fighting the same enemy with no weapon in off hand.

mootoall
2011-07-26, 09:49 AM
They're really great for Combat Maneuvers. Getting Int to trip attempts offsets the 3/4th BAB most of the time, and can be boosted to the point where you can also offset size increases if you also have a decent strength.

Soranar
2011-07-26, 10:16 AM
If you prefer simpler builds there are 2 decent options besides the iajutsu quickrazor.

1rst

Tripper.

Use a tripping weapon+ improved trip
Use the enlarge person spell to give you a size bonus and add your INT on trips to make sure it works. You can also use a psionic device (like a wand but for psionic powers) to use the expansion power and expand you further.

Once your skills are high enough, get a familiar through the obtain familiar feat. Since he uses your skillranks he can use the wand on you (assuming it can talk) that way you won't waste actions during combat. You might want to take an improved familiar (the celestial ones, like the coure eladrin or musteval guardinal, tend to be the best options) to get access to other powers and familiars with better stats.

You can dip crusader at level 9 to get the thicket of blades stance.

Eventually you'd want to take knowledge devotion.

2nd option

ranged attacker

A composite longbow.

Get manyshot. Since you can give yourself extra standard actions you can fire several volleys per round.

You can add your INT to damage and take knowledge devotion to further optimize your damage.

For this build, spells that hinder movement are very useful. (grease , web, etc). Again, many can be cast from wands.

King Atticus
2011-07-26, 12:47 PM
Maybe get a use activated item (possibly some gloves) of whirling blade. It's only one attack per enemy but it's everybody in a 60' line using your INT to hit and damage. Just carry a high damage output weapon and go to town on everybody in that line.

GoatBoy
2011-07-26, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the Factotum
This is the Factotum
Welcome
You can do anything with the Factotum
Anything at all
The only limit is yourself
This is the Factotum
Welcome to the Factotum
This is the Factotum
This is the Factotum and welcome to you who have come to the Factotum
Anything is possible with the Factotum
You can do anything with the Factotum
The infinite is possible with the Factotum
The unattainable is unknown with the Factotum
Welcome to the Factotum
This is the Factotum
Welcome to the Factotum
Welcome

marcielle
2011-07-26, 07:39 PM

You get spellcasting. Anyone standing on Grease without 5 rank of Balance , regardless of Reflex saves or Dex scores, IS ALWAYS BALANCING. Balancing is an act that causes you to be treasted as flat-footed. You are a Factotum. You have most likely spent those ranks. 90% of everybody else hasn't. Any enemy who doesn't fly/swim is flatfooted around you.

@ Soranar - Thanks, this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Reach and thicket of blades is a nice idea. Anyone know if Monkey grip will let you wield a size appropriate 2H weapon in 1 hand? Raven and wands sound fun too.

@ Person Man - Thanks. I read most of your guides but never looked at Haberdash before. EWP is especially nice. Quickrazors:smallbiggrin:

@ King Atticus - Iaijutsu Focus everything in a line? Thank you.

@Goatboy - That's why I like them, but I meant builds and equiptment. Things that have no chance of the DM facepalming and saying 'ROCKS FALL'.

marcielle
2011-07-26, 10:19 PM
How does one qualify for any feat saying 'when you are ready to take a new familiar?' Do you need to take obtain familiar after? Before? SRD is being of no help:smalltongue:

Soranar
2011-07-26, 10:35 PM
How does one qualify for any feat saying 'when you are ready to take a new familiar?' Do you need to take obtain familiar after? Before? SRD is being of no help:smalltongue:

you need complete arcane (that's where you can find the feat obtain familiar)

as for the improved version, improved familiars have caster level requirements (in the case of coure eladrin I believe it's level 7)

there are several feats that cover : improved familiar

theres improved familiar
celestial familiar
dragon familiar

for more information I recommend the familiar's handbook (just google it)

marcielle
2011-07-26, 11:27 PM
I meant, if I have the other requirements like alignment and caster level down, can I take Celestial or Dragon familiar outright or do I need obtain/improve familiar