PDA

View Full Version : Heritage feats for sorcerers that give you extra spells known?

Kiyona
2011-07-26, 04:42 AM
Hello,

As the title suggests, where can I find them? I know I've seen them somewhere but I can't remember where. They gave you one extra spell known per level, and was awesome. I'll be playing a battle sorc, and I thought this can make up for some of the suckiness of losing spells.

Cog
2011-07-26, 05:21 AM
Hello,

As the title suggests, where can I find them? I know I've seen them somewhere but I can't remember where. They gave you one extra spell known per level, and was awesome. I'll be playing a battle sorc, and I thought this can make up for some of the suckiness of losing spells.

The most recent source is Dragon Compendium.

Darrin
2011-07-26, 05:21 AM
The "Bloodline" feats are in the Dragon Compendium. Those give you 1 extra spell known per spell level. I took a stab at rating them here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5076244&postcount=30).

The "Fey/Fiendish Heritage" feats are in Complete Mage. They give you some minor SLAs and a few tsotchkes in exchange for klunking up about half of your precious feat slots and then burning them into a useless pile of ashes and tears.

Kiyona
2011-07-26, 06:37 AM
That's them. Thanks guys!

Andorax
2011-07-26, 10:58 AM
fwiw (for anyone else interested)...originally appeared in Dragon 311 and 325.

Each feat, and you are only allowed to take one, grants you an additional spell known at each spell level (once you're able to access that level) along a particular bloodline "theme"...usually consisting of atypical spell choices to add breadth, not provide cheap access to most-often-taken spells.

To qualify, you have to be a spontaneous arcane caster with a familiar (bards may pick it up later if they pick up a familiar via another feat first).

In exchange you have to give up access to a certain category of "opposed" spells...you can never take spells of that sort. Fire bloodline bars taking any water spells for example.

Not a bad concept, in my opinion, and one I've used in the past to good effect.

Talya
2011-07-26, 11:16 AM
Hmm...since a bloodline feat adds its entire list to your spells known list, could a sorcerer take versatile spellcaster to cast bloodline spells 1 level higher than normal?

Cog
2011-07-26, 03:56 PM
The argument would come down to whether a "bonus spell known" requires any previous spells known to be a bonus to. I'd say it works, though.

Darth_Versity
2011-07-26, 04:33 PM
To qualify, you have to be a spontaneous arcane caster with a familiar (bards may pick it up later if they pick up a familiar via another feat first).

Sorry, I must have missed that bit. The prerequisites only require spontaneous casting, am I missing something that requires a familiar as well?

Talya
2011-07-26, 04:46 PM
Sorry, I must have missed that bit. The prerequisites only require spontaneous casting, am I missing something that requires a familiar as well?

Yeah, that's not in the prerequisites, according to Dragon Compendium. The only prerequisite is the abilty to spontaneously cast arcane spells.

Also, you gain the spells at each spell level, automatically. (meaning you already know all 9 of them the moment you take the feat, you just cannot cast them without spell slots of appropriate level.) This means Versatile Spellcaster does work.