PDA

View Full Version : Fallout PnP, Texas setting. Ideas welcome!

GodGoblin
2011-07-26, 05:38 AM
Ok so this has now become the thread for designing the Texan Fallout setting using the rule set found here (http://www.paforge.com/submissions/fallout/fallout_pnp_2_0.pdf) You guys have had some great ideas and suggestions and now I can really see this taking shape.

This is the list of new things we have created to put in (Very brief at the moment)-
Critters Solar Armadillo: These are normal Armadillos by night but when in direct sunlight these creatures warp and grow to become the hieght of a man, they recieve regeneration, increased physical stats and combat prowess but are almost completley harmless during the dark hours.

Giant Raspberry Ants These giant ants are attracted to electrical signals, often found nesting in places like telecom towers or power plants. These ants have the ability to shut down electrical equipment when in close range, this includes Pip-Boys, Energy weapons and Power armour. Once the ant has absorbed enoug of this elecrtical energy it can release it as an electrical attack.

Jackalope This small critter is little more than a rabbit with small antlers, usually harmless these creatures live in group of hundreds of individuals and have an incredibly high rate of birth. The are known to consume any crops in an almost locust like fashion. There are some tribes that rever them as creatures of myth and spiritual power.

Bull Brahmin Occasionally a male Brahmin will mature to develop a darker skin tone and great forward pointing horns. These black skinned, rogue brahmin are very agressive and often break lose free from Brahmin ranches and can be found in the wild attacking anything on sight

Places of interest Houston Fire lake Houston is a giant Irradiated Lake that is also on fire, the MASSIVE oil stockpile there slowly trickles out and feeds the fire. Prevailing winds push the smoke to Galveston. Pretty much any mutated critter there breathes fire and is immune to fire. The Firelurks haunt the dreams of many. Credit to go to Requiem_Jeer

Las Colinas studios These television and film studios are still preserved inside as they once were pre-war, its occupied by a group of robots containing the characteristics of many pre-war celebrities in a wide selection of film and television sets.

Factions

Weapons

Items

Original post-Hey guys as im sure you can tell im a rather big fan of Fallout and receantly ive been having ideas to run a Fallout PnP campaign, my first thought was to use D20 modern with the Apocolypse and Future add ons but then I thought it would be worth looking for an actual system.

So far all ive found is this (http://www.paforge.com/submissions/fallout/fallout_pnp_2_0.pdf) im assuming its a homebrew system but looks fairly solid.

Pretty much all im asking for here is if anyone knows of other Fallout systems, official or otherwise? Also your experiances with them or tips on running a game would be welcomed too :smallsmile:

Thanks in advance!

Edit- It is a fan made system but its done by this guy (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Jason_Mical) so seems pretty legit.

MickJay
2011-07-26, 07:32 AM
I remember seeing another homebrew system, but it was far inferior to the one you linked. As for tips, it all depends what you want to put the emphasis on - survival, adventure, mystery, searching for something, protecting something? The setting provides plenty of opportunities for all of these.

Pyrophilios
2011-07-26, 08:03 AM
I play currently in a game with this system.
The system is a very faithful replica of the computer games, especially Fallout Tactics.

Positive:
- If you mastered Fallout you won't have any trouble understanding the system
- The rulebook is quite comprehensive
- Fallout humor is present

Negative:
- All the exploits of the original Fallout games are still present. Maximised Agility and Intelligence is a must, if you don't want to gimp you characters development. The gifted trait is still the by far most useful with the least downsides.
- The combat mechanics have been adapted for p&p, but they are a bit cumbersome and slow. You will have to put all your skillpoints into your primary fighting skill for the first few levels or you'll soon be another dead body rotting in the desert.
- There is not much balance: The first five or six level are extremely hard, until your skill ranks are high enough to at least allow you a 50:50 chance of success. After level 10 or with enough gear you want have much trouble any more with anything, as you start your encounters far enough away to reliably shoot all critters before they can engage in melee.

Tips for play:

Keep ammunition scarce and books for skill increase plenty.
Be careful with the number of enemies: Action points need a certain amount of bookkeeping, so to many characters can slow combat down to a crawl.
Don't be shy to hand out substantial circumstance modifiers or otherwise watch on as your players despair when they try to light a fire or do other rather mundane tasks.

RandomNPC
2011-07-26, 09:18 PM
There's one by Glutton Creeper Games called Exodus. It was going to be fallout PnP but they pulled the license when they started production on Fallout 3, it's the closest you'll get to Fallout D20 right now. Most of the memorable things just changed names and a little art in the book, but it's all there, Ghouls, Super Mutants, and Humans, Vault Dwellers, Tribals, Raiders, Brotherhood Of Steel, even Talon Company.

The only problems are that there's no wealth by level charts, and super mutants really should have an ECL 1 or 2 if your group is the type to optimize to much.

Requiem_Jeer
2011-07-27, 04:01 AM
I just wanted to say that our group uses d20 Apocolypse as our primary book and it works rather well, the DM has some problems balancing encounters to us but that's generally based on how tactically advantageous we end up in. tactical positioning in d20 modern is a big deal, and there was the same problem in Fallout. In general, you completely dominated the encounter or got slaughtered. Fallout's combat system wasn't really balanced, so I don't recommend it, but you really have to work at it in d20 modern.

GodGoblin
2011-07-27, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all the input there guys, Ive decided ill go with that version I linked earlier and hopefully if I get my players to read up the combat shouldnt be too bad.

As for the type of game im thinking exploration/discovery and RP with a bit of Combat too, but its going to be open to whatever they feel like so it may descend into killing spree!

To begin with they will all be living in a vault, this vault has been charged with looking after and developing some 'Macguffin'. One day 'Bad guys' assault the vault and find a way in to steal it, the players will drive them off and the Overseer with will order them topside to explore now the vault door is open and hopefully put an end to the 'Badguys' other attempts/

What im thinking is that the 'Badguys' are actually trying to liberate the 'Macguffin' as it heals/grows/produces life etc. The Overseer is keeping it locked away due to paranoia or spite (Will decide once I make him properly).

This should lead to a conflict within the players and gives them the chance to choose a side, Im thinking one of them will be the Overseers child or perhaps said Macguffin could have cured a PCs mother when she was dying but the Overseer still kept it secret. Just to mix things up and cause some tension.

So far im aware its very vague and cliched (Also a bit too similar to FO3 for my liking) but Im working on it, any input here would be welcome too. Lets not forget that being PCs they will probably become raiders and never look back anyway... :smallannoyed:

Friv
2011-07-27, 08:01 AM
If you're worried about it being cliche, my suggestion would be to give each side some actual reasons to have their beliefs, and make it reasonable for the players to pick either side.

So if the MacGuffin is a Tree of Life, the Overseer has been using it to keep the Vault safe, and has been slowly and secretly expanding the Vault's resources - the Vault's population has actually grown over the years, instead of shrinking due to lack of food and such. He believes that releasing it now will be a disaster, because the Vault doesn't have the resources to defend it yet, and wants to wait another fifty years or so. He has been making all of his decisions this way, because the Tree of Life has geometric growth. Every person you save today is a hundred people you can't save later, and if the Tree is used up entirely, it'll wither and die.

At the same time, the outside world is suffering from resource shortages. A lot of people are suffering right now, and they want that power. Some of them have discovered what is happening, and have mounted a raid (which, ironically, is what the Overseer was afraid of to begin with).

And once everyone else discovers this thing, every settlement will want the MacGuffin, some to share and some to keep.

The upside is that, no matter which side the players choose, there's a second half of the story there. If the Vault keeps it, the players have to start making alliances to protect it, trading fragments of resources and the promise of a better life fifty years down the road for protection now. If the other side keeps it, the players have to stop the various Raider groups and enemy settlements who really would like that power all for themselves, instead of shared out.

Frosty
2011-07-27, 12:22 PM
The SPECIAL system is good, although I'd use a few houserules. Look up the critical hit tables at fallout wikia. It's good and covers what's missing fromthe PDF. And the addiction rules are total bullcrap in the pdf. Use what's on the wikia, as it more faithfully recreates the Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics addiction system.

JediSoth
2011-07-27, 01:24 PM
Atomic Highway is pretty close to the Fallout feel. While it doesn't have perks, the MUTANTS system is uses maps pretty well to SPECIAL
Muscle = Strength
Understanding = Intelligence
Toughness = Endurance
Appeal = Charisma
Nimbleness = Agility
Tenacity = Luck
Senses = Perception

It's almost like the guy who designed it was inspired by Fallout. When I run a Fallout game sometime in the near future (near future being before I die), it's my system of choice.

GodGoblin
2011-07-28, 02:57 AM
@Frosty- Did you mean the rules on this (http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)wikia? Thanks for the help, hopefully that will help tings run smoother.

Again cheers for the new system ideas but im pretty set on the Fallout pnp but if it all goes to pot I can scroll through this and try a new one! :smallbiggrin:

Something im really struggling with at the moment is deciding where to set this, my players say they dont want an existing setting. By that they mean Fallout 3 or New Vegas (They havent played the other games), I was thinking maybe Texas? It has the blistering heat wasteland that I like from Vegas and has enough stereotypes for the current inhabbitants to pick up and twist into the Fallout style humour. Things like Big Als Brahmin T-Bone ranch etc. I know it wasnt set inin Texas but I think including the Dukes of Hazzard could be hilarious!

Again thats all I can think of so anyother place suggestions would be great or any specifics or ideas that make make post-apoc Texas more in depth :smallsmile:

LordBlades
2011-07-28, 03:38 AM
I've played the system the OP linked, and it's rather fun (it's got the Fallout feel), although it has some sever limitations:

-low level: skills are so low it's ridiculous. You have serious trouble driving a car at average speed on a flat road for example
-high level: skills are so high it's ridiculous. You can get skills so high that you have no trouble gunning down soldiers with eyes closed.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-28, 12:15 PM
Something im really struggling with at the moment is deciding where to set this, my players say they dont want an existing setting. By that they mean Fallout 3 or New Vegas (They havent played the other games), I was thinking maybe Texas? It has the blistering heat wasteland that I like from Vegas and has enough stereotypes for the current inhabbitants to pick up and twist into the Fallout style humour. Things like Big Als Brahmin T-Bone ranch etc. I know it wasnt set inin Texas but I think including the Dukes of Hazzard could be hilarious!

Again thats all I can think of so anyother place suggestions would be great or any specifics or ideas that make make post-apoc Texas more in depth :smallsmile:

Place suggestion?

Surrey.

Seriously, pick a place nearby. Throw in references to things y'all know. Since England hasn't really been dealt with, you've got a more-or-less free hand with world design, but you can draw from common Fallout themes.

GodGoblin
2011-07-29, 04:42 AM
Place suggestion?

Surrey.

Seriously, pick a place nearby. Throw in references to things y'all know. Since England hasn't really been dealt with, you've got a more-or-less free hand with world design, but you can draw from common Fallout themes.

I had considered this but im really lacking inspiration for it, espiecally for my first game id like to keep it in America, I just think it will help with the overall Fallout feel. Also means I can draw more from the games as if it was in England I would have to pretty much come up with it myself, normally id prefer that but for now im keeping things simple.

Being from Texas have you got any inside tips for setting it there? :smalltongue:

LibraryOgre
2011-07-29, 08:15 AM
I had considered this but im really lacking inspiration for it, espiecally for my first game id like to keep it in America, I just think it will help with the overall Fallout feel. Also means I can draw more from the games as if it was in England I would have to pretty much come up with it myself, normally id prefer that but for now im keeping things simple.

Being from Texas have you got any inside tips for setting it there? :smalltongue:

1) Texas is BIG. Do you know old joke about the difference between Americans and the British? "Americans think 100 years is a long time, and the Brits think 100 miles is a long way." This is doubly true for Texas. We lionize our "ancient history" from the 1800s, and then drive to Dallas for the weekend because it's only about 300 miles away.
My ex is from New England, and she and her family really couldn't comprehend the scale of the place. We day-trip things that they wouldn't do for less than a week, and my commute is something they wouldn't day trip... and I don't leave Houston.

2) Decide where in Texas. We've got pretty much every landform except tundra in the state, so do you want it in the swamps of SE Texas, the desert of West Texas, or the verdant Hill Country? For that "classic western/Fallout" look, I'd set it to the west of Austin and San Antonio. You'll have a relatively verdant SE corner of your map (well, kinda... see 3), and a lot of empty space.

3) San Antonio will not be there. It'll just be gone. Fort Sam Houston is also the home of Brooke Army Medical Center, which is one of the major medical centers for the US Military... in fact, I would not be surprised if any military cybernetic facilities are located there (they are today, though "military cybernetics" do not currently include laser weapons). Furthermore, there's the training facilities at Randolph and Lackland Air Force Bases. Fort Hood isn't too far north. I likewise wouldn't be too surprised by Houston disappearing, given the size of our port and relative inaccessibility to the Chinese.

4) More generally... what do you want your Fallout to be about? You don't have to include Caesar's Legion, though they're likely out there to the far west. When do you want to set it? Something we haven't seen yet in Fallout is a "normal vault". Yes, we've got Vault City, but think about the first couple years outside a vault, while the GECK is still making everything happen. That also frees you from a LOT of continuity issues, since you're before anything happened.

Frosty
2011-07-29, 11:55 AM
@Frosty- Did you mean the rules on this (http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page)wikia? Thanks for the help, hopefully that will help tings run smoother.

Again cheers for the new system ideas but im pretty set on the Fallout pnp but if it all goes to pot I can scroll through this and try a new one! :smallbiggrin:

Again thats all I can think of so anyother place suggestions would be great or any specifics or ideas that make make post-apoc Texas more in depth :smallsmile:No. THIS is the table I'm talking about: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Critical_Hit

Clepto
2011-07-29, 05:20 PM

Fellow Texan chiming in on suggestions for setting. I'm from the Panhandle (that squarish bit that sticks up at the top), Amarillo specifically. Home of the Big Texan restaurant (72 oz. steak meal for free if you can eat it in an hour, it's been featured in Man vs. Food, one of the first episodes). Bear with me for a bit, as the following description is long. I'm from here, so I know a lot about it and the surrounding area.

The plains area up here is pretty bland for the most part. No natural bodies of water except a "river" that only holds water for a month or two per year, and playa lakes that are little more than shallow depressions in the ground that collect rainwater, and a few odd streams here and there. Few trees grow naturally, though mesquite grows like a weed up here. Everything else is pretty much flat, grassy, and dry. We've had less annual rainfall (record-breaking drought) than the entire state of Nevada this year.

Major landmarks include the city of Amarillo itself, which is the largest population center within a hundred miles, clocking in at around 190 thousand people, give or take. The city is pretty spread out; since we have room to grow out, we never grew upward. Palo Duro Canyon is 15ish miles south of Amarillo. While it's certainly not the largest canyon in the US, it (including its branches and tributaries) is one of the longest. Trees and wildlife do thrive in the canyon due to the stream that runs through it, a remnant of the once-mighty river that carved the canyon so long ago. Historic Rt 66 runs through the middle of Amarillo, and in the Fallout timeline is probably still a historic highway, having not been converted to I-40 yet.

Survival is tricky in this part of the country due to the terrain and dry conditions (officially classified as a "semi-arid desert"). Wildlife is common, but of the smaller variety. Rodents mostly, with white-tail deer being the largest naturally occurring mammal. Water is scarce. The weather patterns here hinder survival as well, including such things as normal wind speed clocking around 30mph from day to day (seriously, our trees grow sideways), excessive wind speeds occasionally going over 50mph, tornadoes, hail storms, flash floods, lightning, and drought-induced wildfires that can burn millions of acres at a time. In the summer, temperatures average in the mid to upper 90s, though this year has been blowing away records for both highest temperature ever in the area, and most days over 100 in one year. Relative humidity averages below ten percent, though it's noticeably higher before and after storms. In the winter the temperatures frequently drop below freezing, and snowstorms can drop anywhere from less than an inch of powder to a several feet of wet slush. Wind conditions during winter normally have the wind chill factor well below freezing, though usually above zero. Storms are infrequent but common in all seasons, and appear with little warning.

As far as post-apocalypse infrastructure, you have the remnants of Amarillo and any of the other smaller towns in the area, copious wind-farms, vast oil deposits, and a government owned weapons facility (perfect site for a Vault) about 20ish miles east of Amarillo.

Nearby areas include Lubbock, TX about an hour and a half drive straight south, Oklahoma City is about four hours east, New Mexico and Colorado are a few hours west, and Dallas is about five hours to the southeast. Eight hours to Austin, ten to Houston. North puts you in the Oklahoma panhandle for about five minutes, then up into Kansas.

[/salesman]

For all that I have to pimp my hometown, I actually recommend Mark Hall's suggestion of the Austin/San Antonio area. If for no other reasons than the diversity of terrain and the population density. The harsh conditions of this area would make it extraordinarily difficult to live, particularly in Post Apocalyptia, and the total population of the panhandle area is probably 300k or less. The odds are not good. South Texas would be a better bet due to the sheer size of the population. If you calculate survival rate at anything less than ten percent for the time immediately after the war, you could still have a potential survival population greater than the panhandle's total population now.

Edited to put the wall o' text behind spoiler tags.

LibraryOgre
2011-08-01, 01:46 PM
For all that I have to pimp my hometown, I actually recommend Mark Hall's suggestion of the Austin/San Antonio area. If for no other reasons than the diversity of terrain and the population density. The harsh conditions of this area would make it extraordinarily difficult to live, particularly in Post Apocalyptia, and the total population of the panhandle area is probably 300k or less. The odds are not good. South Texas would be a better bet due to the sheer size of the population. If you calculate survival rate at anything less than ten percent for the time immediately after the war, you could still have a potential survival population greater than the panhandle's total population now.

Well, one reason to stay up in the panhandle is an excuse to use the song "Happiness is Lubbock, in your rearview mirror". :smallbiggrin: However, I would reconsider the survival odds up in the Panhandle. While there aren't that many people up there, it's because there's a whole lot of nothin' up there. It's not like San Antonio where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a military base, and the Panhandle might provide an interesting view of non-Vault survival... large landowners might have pulled through with enough hired hands and food to set themselves up as regional barons, but without the reach to extend themselves.

GodGoblin
2011-08-02, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the local input there, if im honest I dont really understand a word of it! But I will have a proper sit down and read through with the help of wikipeidia :smalltongue:

What I did get though-
Antonio sounds like a prime adventure location, everyone loves searching through military bases! Maybe hide some secret high level tech in there.

The region barons thing sounds interesting, it may be formed purley out of steriotypes and I know its probably not quite the right part of America but running a parallel here with the trans-atlantic slave trade could be interesting. Perhaps with Ghouls, the players could help them rise up and earn freedom or simply leave things how they are.

Amarillo also sounds like a very good place to have the vault, with that amount of info youve given me Clepto Im pretty sure I could throw something together, and tornados huh? Hmm... :smallbiggrin:

Also what kind of animals are around texas that would make fun mutant critters? Some sort of Rad-Armadillo etc. Or possibly a Brahmin alternative?

LibraryOgre
2011-08-02, 12:55 PM
Also what kind of animals are around texas that would make fun mutant critters? Some sort of Rad-Armadillo etc. Or possibly a Brahmin alternative?

Brahmin seem pretty wide-spread and iconic; I'd keep them, though I might give them longer horns, to stick with the Texas stereotypes.

Instead of Rad-Armadillo, I'd go with a solar-powered one... one of the jokes around here is that armadillos are "Texas Sunbathers"... because they get hit by cars and then wind up lying on their backs on the side of the road. A laser-shooting, solar-powered Armadillo would be really annoying, but you might have an industry hunting them down at night.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-03, 12:31 AM
Bare in mind that there is a Fallout game set in Texas. (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel) It is not canon apparently, but if you're unlucky, one of your players loves the game.

Been looking through this system myself too now that you posted it. I am building a setting for my homestate, Minnesota. If your doing any homebrew for the Texan critters, do you mind sharing? :smalltongue:

I also suggest Giant Ants, specifically of the Crazy Rasberry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Rasberry_ant) kind. Should the players find anything electronic, they will be a nuisance.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 12:57 AM
You almost never hear of bombs dropping in the Great White North in these situations and while some, ahem, fallout would pose issues, things wouldn't be nearly as devastated, especially if you got far enough from the border.
Why not Fallout: Canada? It could be the early days, just after the bombs fell, the nation trying to deal with the massive influx of American refugees streaming over the border, many of whom will be armed and won't be turned away by soft spoken men in red suits and a ranger hat.
Not without a little help anyway.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-03, 01:15 AM
You almost never hear of bombs dropping in the Great White North in these situations and while some, ahem, fallout would pose issues, things wouldn't be nearly as devastated, especially if you got far enough from the border.
Why not Fallout: Canada? It could be the early days, just after the bombs fell, the nation trying to deal with the massive influx of American refugees streaming over the border, many of whom will be armed and won't be turned away by soft spoken men in red suits and a ranger hat.

Yeah, we're a whole lot of snow, and not really worth bombing for the most part. The Twin Cities would get a bomb or two their way (huge population between the two, and largest mall in the country (or it used to be at least). But most of the problems here would be the F.E.V. and Fallout from the bombs down south, as that would come northward, but nowhere near the problem that people elsewhere.

But you bring up something I've been curious about too. What is the rest of the world like? I'm sure China is in a similar state to the U.S, and with the closeness in Latitude, probably much of that band of the globe is heavily radiated... But no mention of the other countries uninvolved with the conflict.

Vault-tec made some vaults for Canada, but I have a feeling you're right that it was spared, and probably got a huge influx of population from the northern states, and it's Southern regions probably have some troubles with F.E.V. creatures, but that likely didn't carry into Europe. It would be nice if the Fallout setting could be fleshed out like that.

GodGoblin
2011-08-03, 10:19 AM
Well all the info on Canada is here (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Canada). As for the rest of the world its probably on the site too, thanks for all the suggestions but im set on using Texas now. I didnt realise Brotherhood of Steel was set in Texas it might be worth a play for inspiration then!

I havent homebrewed anything yet im still just looking for ideas but anything I do come up with will be put in this thread, Ill make an index in the first post once we get some more things thought up.

Solar powered Armadillos!? So crazy it might just work... Almost like a Glowing one style Ghoul, perhaps they re generate in the sun and gain STR and END (Like the solar powered perk) Making them scary in the day but pretty simple to take on at night. Hence the night hunts, maybe they are normal armadillo sized too but in direct sunlight double or even triple in size making them a Yao-Gua kind of threat.

That might be a bit far but kinda funny to be stepping on a small one but the sun just comes over the horizon and its body starts to warp and snap as its shoulders are suddenly equal in height to yours...

So lets keep these critter ideas coming, also factions and specific places of interest are needed. I havent had a chance to have my Texan wiki-binge yet but once I do Ill start posting some more coherent ideas up and really get this under way. :smallsmile:

Edit- Forgot to mention thion tht the Crazy Raspberry Ant is brilliant! make em giant and any energy weapons or circuit based kit (Power armour! :smalleek:) is shut down within a certain range, almost like a fallout version of a rust monster from D&D, hmm to push it further would include some sort of electric discharge attack, but again like the growing armadillos it may be too much.

LibraryOgre
2011-08-03, 10:51 AM

That's simple: Canada is part of the United States. It was annexed as we pushed for natural resources.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 11:19 AM
That's simple: Canada is part of the United States. It was annexed as we pushed for natural resources.

So some bombs hit the major population centres. Canada is a big place though. By area, we are only smaller than Russia and have a much smaller population. Less than a quarter of the population as of 2009. You are going to have lots of places that, while mostly cut off from each other, are largely not irradiated or bombed.

LibraryOgre
2011-08-03, 12:49 PM
So some bombs hit the major population centres. Canada is a big place though. By area, we are only smaller than Russia and have a much smaller population. Less than a quarter of the population as of 2009. You are going to have lots of places that, while mostly cut off from each other, are largely not irradiated or bombed.

Similar, in that respect, to New Vegas (most of its irradiation was post-bombing).

Ravens_cry
2011-08-03, 01:20 PM
Similar, in that respect, to New Vegas (most of its irradiation was post-bombing).
Which explains why New Vegas is, mostly, quite civilized in comparison, at least in The Strip. You wouldn't see as many of the fantastic mutated creatures except those that have wondered north. I think the cold winters would prevent Yao guai from getting far past the border, bears have fur for a reason.

Dramiscius
2011-08-03, 01:30 PM
anyone looking for other good post apocalyptic pnp games might wanna take a gander at the pretty new "Alpha Omega" system that came out not to long ago, or some of the variants using the same system "AFMBE" uses like "Armageddon" or "witchcraft". Of course you could probably along with all the supplements for "AFMBE" and mix in armageddon and or witchcrafts material to make for some interesting mixes of characters and or adversaries.

Inkpencil
2011-08-03, 01:42 PM
I'm from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and the discussion of a Fallout-ized North Texas struck me with some promising ideas.

Cult of the Dallas Cowboys, anybody? If it's Fallout universe, they could be based out of the ruins of Texas Stadium (still up until the bombs). They worship the Cowboys Ring of Honor (famous players and coaches), with the All-Father being Tom Landry. The details could be a little beyond a group from England, but I doubt the commentary on sports-player "worship" would be.

Fort Worth prides itself on the traditional Texas idea, while Dallas embraces a bit more of the new and non-regional. The rivalry between the cities is old and underlying. Fast forward that to the post apocalyptic future, and you have a city of old west gunslingers and a city of futuretech co-existing on a constant brink of war, maybe just to see which would win.

On top of that, the area has places like Lockheed-Martin (major jet/helicopter manufacturers), Texas Instruments (all sorts of high-end electronics), Dell computers, and a bunch of other companies that can be suited to the game or replaced by their established Fallout counterparts. There's also the studios at Las Colinas, where they film some movies and tv shows, which could make for some interesting characters and items.

LibraryOgre
2011-08-03, 02:06 PM
Fort Worth prides itself on the traditional Texas idea, while Dallas embraces a bit more of the new and non-regional.

That's because Dallas isn't part of Texas. When we feel really mean, the rest of us refer to it as an annexed part of Oklahoma. :smallbiggrin:

Requiem_Jeer
2011-08-03, 03:43 PM
In my fallout PnP set in Texas, let me give you a few setting details you might want to use:

The Jackolope swarms are like locusts, eating anything they encounter.

San Antonio is ruled by a gang called Las Chupacapras, who are blood-drinking cannibals.

Dallas/Fort Worth is Ghoul Country, lots of bombs fell there.

Houston is a giant Irradiated Lake that is also on fire, the MASSIVE oil stockpile there slowly trickles out and feeds the fire. Prevailing winds push the smoke to Galveston. Pretty much any mutated critter there breathes fire and is immune to fire. The Firelurks haunt the dreams of many.

Austin is the Capital of the Republic of Texas, where Rick Perry the 13th rules with an iron fist. Austin will buy anything, from concrete to twinkies. Rick Perry the 13th loves his twinkies.

Waco's Christmas tradition allows everyone in town to take a sip from the Nuka Cola stockpile. Unfortunately, the Nuka Cultists have taken over and have repaired the Nuka Cola Factory, because every proof of purchase means one step closer to them all going to Paradise. To stop them means facing Nuka Guy, a super mutant with a giant Nuka Cola bottle stuck on his body, armoring him. He will bust through walls saying 'OH YEAH'.

As a note, Vegas had 78 nuclear bombs tossed at it. House's laser defense grid destroyed all but 3 of them.

GodGoblin
2011-08-04, 06:16 AM
Taking from the ideas posted above I can see all these fitting really well.

Dallas Cowboys- live out of the Dallas stadium, actual cowboys raising Brahmin ect. Rather than a cult I feel.

Las Colinas television studio- not sure what to have there but like the idea of putting the PCs through different themed room/sets of the past.

I love the Houston lake idea from Requiem_Jeer, its definatly being used! Also Ill add the Jackalopes to my critter list and Chupacapras sound cool too, I havent started on the tribes or raiders yet but I may steal them also.

Im going to compile all ideas into the first post, I may have to set up a homebrew thread to arrange the mechanics of the critters but for now im happy just getting the fluff sorted. All normal or crazy concepts welcome!

LibraryOgre
2011-08-04, 09:55 AM
I gotta say, I have a hard time arguing with the idea that Houston would be a giant, irradiated, burning lake.