PDA

View Full Version : Changeling Factotum/Chameleon

burnmp3s
2011-07-26, 10:24 AM
I'm making a character for an 8th level episodic game where there's less of an emphasis on character development and more on one-off adventures. My plan is to do 5 levels of Factotum and 3 levels of Chameleon. Outside of combat I think I have things figured out as far as being a skill monkey and focusing on subterfuge, but for in combat I'm not as sure. With Arcane Focus from the Chameleon PrC and the spell-like abilities from Arcane Dilettante I have a decent number of spells/day but I'm not sure if that will be enough to go with casting entirely for combat. Also I don't think I really want to have to rely on tripping or Iaijutsu Focus in combat. Does anyone have any good tips for spells to use for combat purposes or other possible ways I could optimize for combat purposes?

T.G. Oskar
2011-07-26, 10:50 AM
Your decision is on whether to choose three more levels of Factotum or three more levels of Chameleon.

Three more levels of Factotum nets you the ability to spend three inspiration points to get an extra standard action. While this is the typical build-up for the Iaijutsu Focus damage builds (alongside Font of Inspiration), you can do well with casting two combat spells back-to-back as a swift action without using Celerity, pretty much every battle. In fact, it allows you to cast spells back-to-back depending on how many inspiration points you have, allowing for some serious nova-ing.

Three more levels of Chameleon nets you 4th level spells (even if you're limited to bonus spells per day). You may need some assistance on the matter (namely, one or two Pearls of Power IV), but you can then cast Divine Power and fight exactly as well as any warrior, with extra Strength to boot, and still keep your spellcasting. Since you have proficiency with all manner of weapons and armor, you can mix and match.

A dip, if you can, on Master of Masks AND Binder are excellent choices. Namely, you'd like more than 3 levels of Binder, but with Improved Binding you can choose up to 2nd level vestiges. From these, Aym is great for a melee character (you deal retributive damage), Ronove is great for trip builds (unarmed strikes), and Malphas grants sudden strike which adds to damage (even if it's only a 1d6, since you'll probably have ways to become invisible and deny the enemy's Dexterity bonus to AC it'll work, and adding cunning strike to it nearly doubles the damage). Master of Masks isn't so hot, but Gladiator adds Exotic Weapon Proficiency with ALL exotic weapons, so you can range from a jovar (a greatsword with 18-20 crit range), a minotaur greathammer, a spiked chain, or another valuable weapon (repeating crossbow for ranged weapons, or a great crossbow for a single 120 ft., 2d6, 18-20 shot).

From there, and considering your feat slots are limited, you must choose what to make of your build. Feat choices are slightly more important than spell choices, since most of the time you'll want to use Chameleon slots to buff yourself, not Factotum slots (in fact, you'll want Factotum slots to pull off one-shot spells you might be missing from Chameleon, such as Enlarge Person for a two-hander; stuff that doesn't need caster level that much or that it's duration is enough for a single battle). Divine magic has better self-buffing slots, which you could fill with Shield of Faith, Bull's Strength, probably Prayer (hey, it's a luck bonus) and others. Stuff like Power Attack (floating feat or otherwise) + a jovar or minotaur greathammer (if you can make it a ribbon weapon, then extra wins for you) + Imp. Critical (probably floating feat; else use your spell slots for Heroics and cast it) + mimic class feature - rage makes for a surprisingly brutal 1/day boost to damage (+4 Strength from the spell, plus 4 from the rage, then you deliver as much PA as possible; with a 15-20 crit range, that's sure to double), while Two Weapon Fighting (from the floating feat, Heroics or Gloves of the Balanced Hand) + two scimitars + Malphas bound per day + Haste (probably from Boots of Speed) + Cunning Strike + Hunter's Sense (2nd level ranger spell, which you can cast through Chameleon slots) does something similar with multiple hits (seek a way to deal full attack, probably from a Lion's Charge spell from a wand, then make your full attack routine plus the attack from Haste, then an extra standard action for one more attack).

burnmp3s
2011-07-26, 11:25 AM
To be clear I'm mainly wondering what I should be using at 8th level (spells, feats, skill tricks, equipment, etc.) for combat rather than what choices I should make as I level up. Any advice is appreciated though.