PDA

View Full Version : How to counter dispell

NathanielGr
2011-07-26, 12:09 PM
Can some1 find a way to counter dispell with a fighter?

mucco
2011-07-26, 12:19 PM
Ring of Counterspells charged with Dispel works as a one-time counter. Blink, or an item of that, gives you 50% miss chance against Dispel (or any other spell).

Find a way not to be caught. Invisibility/stealth are your friends, even for a fighter. If the enemy can't target you, he can't dispel you.

Try to have your buffs with an enhanced caster level. Have your buffing friend buy a Ring of Enduring Arcana.

Win initiative and prepare action to charge if they try to dispel you. Works best if you can roll Spellcraft, so maybe put some (even cross-class) points into it. While you're at it, consider taking the Mage Slayer feat.

Going against dispellers as a fighter is hard, good luck.

ericgrau
2011-07-26, 12:58 PM
Carry a backup ranged weapon and ready an action to disrupt casting.

Other than that you deal with it the same way you deal with everything else: stab the guy with a sharp piece of metal. If you don't have too many buffs active then dispelling you might not be worth the action which means simply letting it happen and fighting on can be to your advantage. I'd guess maybe 4 buffs is the limit, as on average 2 of those get dispelled which might equal a round's worth of damage after an entire fight. Except that takes an entire fight whereas your current round's attack(s) happen right now.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 01:09 PM
Try to have your buffs with an enhanced caster level. Have your buffing friend Buy your buffing friend a Ring of Enduring Arcana.

If he's using spell slots and actions to buff you, don't make him waste his wealth just to help your character as well.
Help him help you.
Rant:
It really sucks to be a caster and find that you have to start every fight/day casting something for your party because they couldn't plan ahead. Like an underdark campaign where the 3 humans only brought a few torches to last them the entire game. Guess what the fighter multiclassed to cleric had to do at the start of each fight.
Or starting at level 15 in that same campaign, only the fighter/cleric had a ring of sustenance. All the others? 5 days trail rations. Guess how each day started.

mucco
2011-07-26, 01:15 PM
herrhauptmann, I'd agree with you if it was a specific item I need my friend to use. That ring, however, is a solid choice for any caster, so it should go into his or her WBL, not the fighter's one. Non casters are messed up enough already :smallsmile:

Tyndmyr
2011-07-26, 01:17 PM
Obscure method. Buy a small pile of scrolls and wands. Pimp UMD. Join Ye Olde Church of Magicks as per Complete Champion.

Go forth and slay without using your sword. Every time you bag kills with magic, your status increases. Once maxed out, you can now counterspell 1/day without having an action, knowing the spell, or having a spell to counter with. Grin wildly.

Xtomjames
2011-07-26, 02:07 PM
Use Wall of Dispel. You can shoot around it with magic but any magic targeted directly at you including dispel won't work.

Use psionics. Don't use magic. Gain a divine rank. Use shadow weave magic, use supernatural abilities that can't be counterspelled or dispelled.

Chess435
2011-07-26, 02:13 PM
Actually Dispel Magic can affect psionics due to magic-psionic transparency.

agahii
2011-07-26, 02:34 PM
Obscure method. Buy a small pile of scrolls and wands. Pimp UMD. Join Ye Olde Church of Magicks as per Complete Champion.

Go forth and slay without using your sword. Every time you bag kills with magic, your status increases. Once maxed out, you can now counterspell 1/day without having an action, knowing the spell, or having a spell to counter with. Grin wildly.

Wow, that is impressive.

Tebryn
2011-07-26, 02:52 PM
If he's using spell slots and actions to buff you, don't make him waste his wealth just to help your character as well.
Help him help you.
Rant:
It really sucks to be a caster and find that you have to start every fight/day casting something for your party because they couldn't plan ahead. Like an underdark campaign where the 3 humans only brought a few torches to last them the entire game. Guess what the fighter multiclassed to cleric had to do at the start of each fight.
Or starting at level 15 in that same campaign, only the fighter/cleric had a ring of sustenance. All the others? 5 days trail rations. Guess how each day started.

Wait....are you really saying that it sucks playing as....a team just because you want some extra spending money and spells?

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 03:06 PM
Wait....are you really saying that it sucks playing as....a team just because you want some extra spending money and spells?

No, I'm saying it sucks when one player has to fix ALL the problems the others had left in their own characters.
Dwarf with darkvision doesn't need a source of light. The guys playing humans knew it would be an underdark campaign. Yet I found myself casting light at the start of each fight.
The underdark game found us going through several game days in a single session, suddenly the other players were out of food. I had to start casting create food/water just so they could play their own characters.
I was the only one to buy scrolls and wands that would fix ability scores and level drain even though I suggested that the others load up on them too. I was using items for that because the cleric levels were a small part of my build.

Team game? Yes. Carrying the whole party? No.

NNescio
2011-07-26, 03:13 PM
Spellblade (Players Guide to Faerūn) keyed to Dispel Magic. It's a weapon enhancement that only costs 6k.

Granted, it only works against Dispel Magic, and not its many other variants, but you can have different spellblades keyed to those as well.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 03:24 PM
Spellblade (Players Guide to Faerūn) keyed to Dispel Magic. It's a weapon enhancement that only costs 6k.

Granted, it only works against Dispel Magic, and not its many other variants, but you can have different spellblades keyed to those as well.

Spellblade armor spikes? Shield spikes? Spike gauntlets?:smallbiggrin: