PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty Elder Scrolls Races (3.5)

Agent_0042
2011-07-26, 03:09 PM
Looking for criticism on these. Rather than try to translate the races number-by-number, I just tried to get the general feel of each race. I guess the first point of criticism is, did I succeed with that? Second point of criticism, are these races roughly even in power with one another?

Altmer
-2 Str, +2 Int
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
+4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease
An Altmer that can cast spells may prepare one additional spell (or recieve one additional spell slot) of any level (s)he is capable of casting. If (s)he has multiple spellcasting classes, this applies to each of them.
Whenever an Altmer takes fire, cold, or electric damage, (s)he takes one additional point of damage per die.

Argonian
+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con, -2 Cha
Medium
Base land speed is 40ft
+4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poison
An Argonian is amphibious, and can breathe water as easily as (s)he breathe air. In addition, (s)he also have a base swim speed of 40ft (+8 racial bonus to swim checks).

Bosmer
+2 Dex, -2 Str
Small (+1 size bonus to Armor Class, +1 size bonus on attack rolls, +4 size bonus on Hide checks, smaller weapons, 3/4 carrying limits)
Base land speed is 30ft
+4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease
+1 attack bonus when using ranged weapons
A Bosmer gains Wild Empathy as if (s)he was a druid of his or her character level. This doesn't stack with Wild Empathy from another source.

Breton
-2 Con, -2 Dex, +2 Int, +2 Wis
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
A Breton that can cast spells may prepare one additional spell (or recieve one additional spell slot) of up to one level lower than the highest level (s)he is capable of casting. If (s)he has multiple spellcasting classes, this applies to each of them.
A Breton gains spell resistance, equal to 10 + his or her character level. This does not stack with spell resistance from another source.

Dunmer
+2 Int, -2 Cha
Medium
Base land speed is 40ft
Low-Light Vision
Fire resistance 15. This stacks with fire resistance granted by spells or class abilities.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A Dunmer who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if (s)he were actively looking for it.

Imperial
-2 Dex, +2 Cha
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
+2 Racial bonus to Appraise, Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate
+1 Skill point/level
Bonus feat

Khajit
+2 Dex, -2 Wis
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
Low-light vision.
A Khajit has a climb speed of 20ft (+8 racial bonus to Climb checks).
+4 racial bonus to Jump and Intimidate checks.

Nord
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Cha
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
Cold resistance 15 and electric resistance 10. These stack with energy resistance granted by spells or class abilities.
A Nord gains a free proficiency in any weapon of his or her choosing.
A Nord can choose to deal an additional 1d6 cold damage whenever (s)he makes an unarmed strike.

Orsimer
+2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
An Orsimer gains spell resistance, equal to 5 plus his or her character level. This does not stack with spell resistance from another source.
Once per day, an Orsimer may enter into a rage, as if (s)he was a first-level barbarian. If (s)he already has the ability to enter a rage or similar state, (s)he instead gains an additional use per day. If (s)he has multiple classes that grant such an ability, this applies to each of them.

Redguard
+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis
Medium
Base land speed is 30ft
+4 racial bonus to saving throws against disease and poison
A Redguard gains a free proficiency in any weapon of his or her choosing.
Once per day, a Redguard may enter into a whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), as if (s)he was a first-level barbarian. If (s)he already has the ability to enter a frenzy or similar state, (s)he instead gains an additional use per day. If (s)he has multiple classes that grant such an ability, this applies to each of them.

eftexar
2011-07-26, 03:20 PM
The bretons spell resistance makes it better than the other races and the imperial are lower powered than the rest of the group. Other than that they seem balanced with one another. With the exception of the two I talked about, they probably all are about a LA +1. The breton might warrant a +2, if just barely, and the imperial are even weaker than normal humans.

Agent_0042
2011-07-27, 12:11 PM
I gave the Imperial an extra skill point per level, which should push it to a low LA +1. Not that LA really matters as long as the races are in line with each other, since these aren't going to be mixed with standard D&D races, but whatever. As for the Bretons being overly powerful, I don't think that's the case. Consider that they're noticeably weaker than Drow, the archetypal LA +2 race. The main ones I'm worried about are the Khajit, Nord, and Argonian.

Aurenthal
2011-07-27, 05:06 PM
With the Nord (to make it more balanced) instead of

A Nord can choose to deal an additional 1d6 cold damage whenever (s)he makes an unarmed strike.

It should be like:

A Nord can choose to deal an additional 1d6 cold damage on unarmed attacks, a number of times equal to its level
Edit: per day

eftexar
2011-07-27, 05:17 PM
I don't think it needs to be that drastically limited. Maybe limiting it to one strike per an attack sequence (including attacks of opportunity) is a better way to go. Maybe it doesn't even need limitation, because by the time a new attack is granted the bonus isn't that influential (+4d6 for a full attack action assuming all strikes hit at level 20 (which almost never happens)). Besides I think that limiting an ability to straight up 'uses per day' is annoying and should only be used if there is no other way to limit it and/or it is a very powerful ability.*
edit- as far as your concern for the Nord though, you could just make the resistance scale with level such as 5 + 1 per 2 levels cold resistance and 1 per 2 levels electricity resistance. The Khajit and Argonion seem fine to me.
edit*- I suppose the other exception I make for this, is if the uses per day are high or participate in the fluff of the class.

Agent_0042
2011-07-27, 06:20 PM
Actually, I was worried about them being underpowered. :smalltongue: If they don't seem that way to you people, I think we're good.

SowZ
2011-07-28, 05:03 PM
I would let the Khajit and Argonian play as first level characters but the rest would have level adjustments. The Imperial gets the bonus of a human but also stat increases, which pushes it above and beyond the normal races. I'd give the Dunmer something extra. Possibly a once-per-day summon spirit with HD equal to one half the character level that last 2d4+1 round. Because as it stands, the Dunmer is stronger then a standard race but not quite as good as a +1 race should be. Due to two relevant stat bonus, extra unarmed damage, a free exotic weapon prof., and strong resistance Nord should also have an LA of 2. Maybe drop the Redguards Weapon Prof. to any martial prof. or else give make the Frenzy scale and add a couple skill check +2s so you can give it a 2LA. Same with the Orsimer.