PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the prestige class...

Elvencloud
2011-07-26, 03:13 PM
I remember seeing somewhere (I thought it was BoED, but I didn't see it) a prestige class that in ten levels gave ninth level spells. I vaguely remember it being a Knight or something...

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-26, 03:15 PM
I can recall Urpriest giving 9th level cleric spells in 10 levels, can't recall the source though. I also remember... sacred something giving 9th level sorcerer casting, I think?

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-26, 03:15 PM
Sublime chord, Ur-Priest. I can't think of a knight though.

Elvencloud
2011-07-26, 03:17 PM
I know for sure it was divine spells, and it wasn't ur-priest. Hmm. I'm flipping through a ton of books right now.

Elvencloud
2011-07-26, 03:29 PM
Now that I'm looking, It looks like divine crusader, but I must have misread it. Does this class only limit you to your domain? Suck!

Kantolin
2011-07-26, 03:30 PM
There's the Apostle of Peace in the BoED which does, and also the Divine Crusader in the Complete Divine. The former has additional restrictions, the latter casts from a single domain (See: Contemplative)

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 03:30 PM
There's a lot of Prestige classes that give up to 6th level spells in 10 levels, but getting 9th in 10 levels is sorta rare.

gbprime
2011-07-26, 03:37 PM
Now that I'm looking, It looks like divine crusader, but I must have misread it. Does this class only limit you to your domain? Suck!

Yup, Divine Crusader... a spell list only 1 spell wide. But it's a full BAB class, so spell power isn't really it's forte.

Of course, you can crank it up with bonus domain tricks to up you to 2 or 3 spells each spell level...

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 03:45 PM
Yup, Divine Crusader... a spell list only 1 spell wide. But it's a full BAB class, so spell power isn't really it's forte.

Of course, you can crank it up with bonus domain tricks to up you to 2 or 3 spells each spell level...

Tricks? I know you can cast a cure/inflict spell spontaneously from your domain slot. But I can't think of any more than that.
Time Domain sounds like a good choice if you're restricted to just one domain.

edit:
Found 3, Spontaneous Wounder, Healer, Summoner. Grant inflict, cure, or summon natures ally spells. Can get all 3 with a LN, TN, or CN alignment.

Elvencloud
2011-07-26, 03:47 PM
Hmm. I am looking for an interesting barbarian PC- My barbarian npc isn't cutting it anymore in the norse campaign. And since he died (due to dm shenanigans) I was looking for something to give him more spice.
Perhaps risen martyr? Any ideas?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-26, 03:53 PM
There is also the Shadow Templar, from the Athas.org Dark Sun conversion, which gives 9th level arcane spells in 10 levels (and if playing with Dark Sun rules, you don't defile). I really want to build a gish using that...

Edit: if you are trying to get spells in a Barbarian chassis, I suggest you look into Runescarred berseker from Unaproachable East, I think you can get heal and AMF fast enough for it to matter.

Edit: How do you call a person who swordsages your edits?

Keld Denar
Runescarred Berzerker from Unapproachable East, IIRC, gives up to 6th level "casting" in the form of runic tatoos you carve into your person. All the Barbarian feel you need, all the divine spellcasting powah you crave!

herrhauptmann
Hmm. I am looking for an interesting barbarian PC- My barbarian npc isn't cutting it anymore in the norse campaign. And since he died (due to dm shenanigans) I was looking for something to give him more spice.
Perhaps risen martyr? Any ideas?

Warning, almost everyone here hates risen martyr. Partly because of the fact that you're now limited to 10 levels in a class before you have to retire the character. And you're restricted to just one PrC when leveling up.

I say, go for it. Most games don't last that long anyway. And you don't HAVE to start play as a risen martyr. Make sure your character meets the prereqs for risen martyr, then begin play, secure in the knowledge that there's a way for you to continue the character. Even if you die and the party abandons your body while fleeing.

gbprime
2011-07-26, 03:58 PM
Tricks? I know you can cast a cure/inflict spell spontaneously from your domain slot. But I can't think of any more than that.
Time Domain sounds like a good choice if you're restricted to just one domain.

edit:
Found 3, Spontaneous Wounder, Healer, Summoner. Grant inflict, cure, or summon natures ally spells. Can get all 3 with a LN, TN, or CN alignment.

I was thinking more solid-state, like prestige classes that add domains. Contemplative, Divine Oracle, Seeker of the Misty Isle... but the one that packs the most melee power would be a build using Warpriest. A Divine Crusader/Warpriest would have both War and Glory domains to pick from.

But yeah, narrow spell list kinda sucks. :smallfrown:

Amphetryon
2011-07-26, 05:01 PM
I was thinking more solid-state, like prestige classes that add domains. Contemplative, Divine Oracle, Seeker of the Misty Isle... but the one that packs the most melee power would be a build using Warpriest. A Divine Crusader/Warpriest would have both War and Glory domains to pick from.

1. Choose the Spell Domain.
2. Gain Anyspell
3. :smallconfused:
4. PROFIT!

Soranar
2011-07-26, 05:20 PM
I think you're looking for suel arcamanach. It's either in Complete mage or complete arcane (I always mix those two). Also has limited spells but it's more varied than divine crusader.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-26, 05:42 PM
Suel Arcanamach only gets up to level 5 spells and it is in CArc

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 07:20 PM

Looking...
{table=head]PrC|Domain(s)|Book|Notes
Church Inquisitor|inquisition|Complete Divine
Contemplative|any from deity/alignment|Complete Divine
Divine Oracle|Oracle domain|Complete Divine
Justice Hammer of Moradin|War Domain| Dragon Mag 328
Radiant Servant of Pelor|glory or purification|Complete Divine|You'd probably need a level in cleric or 4 in Paladin to get the turning prereq.
Rainbow Servant |1 Good, 4 air, 7 law |Complete Divine
Seeker of Misty Isle |1 Travel, 7 Magic|Complete Divine
Warpriest|Glory or Domination|Complete Divine
Arachnomancer|Spider| Drow of Underdark|Older versions just added to spells known
Auspicion |Fate| Faiths and Pantheons. |Requires the luck domain as a prereq. Though a devotion should work as well.
Waveservant |Ocean| Faiths and Pantheons
Divine Disciple|Any granted by deity| Players Guide to Faerun.
Eye of Horus Re|Any granted by Horus Re|Players Guide to Faerun
Sovereign Speaker|9 domains offered by the entire sovereign host|Faiths of Eberron|Should be adaptable to pantheons in other worlds. Like Mulhorandi in Faerun
Ordained Champion|War domain (or 1 other offered by deity)|Complete Champion|Only clerics add domain+ability. Others just add it to spells known list
[/table]

There's also the Sanctified spell list out of BoED. Any Good caster who prepares spells can cast those, so I think you can cast them.

Amaunator from Forgotten realms has Law, Nobility, Planning, Sun and Time domains. And one of the books (Lost Empires or Power of Faerun) stated that a typo on an ancient contract technically put him in charge of the Weave over Mystryl and gave him the magic domain. Something he was wise enough not to try and claim. Looking for actual documentation of that now... Can't find the documentation right now. But I'm sure it's out there.

Greenish
2011-07-26, 08:05 PM
I was thinking more solid-state, like prestige classes that add domains. Contemplative, Divine Oracle, Seeker of the Misty Isle... Sovereign Speaker (FoE), 9 domains over 9 levels, from a pantheon-wide list. Also extra domain slots.

Anyspell? How about three!

herrhauptmann
2011-07-26, 08:59 PM
Sovereign Speaker (FoE), 9 domains over 9 levels, from a pantheon-wide list. Also extra domain slots.

Anyspell? How about three!

Added.

Greenish, I'm not too familiar with Eberron, do you think the Sovereign Speaker could be adapted to another unified pantheon?
The standard Faerun pantheon seems too broad, diverse, and large, but I could see the elf, dwarf, orc, gnome, and mulhorandi pantheons working for this. And others as well.

Treblain
2011-07-27, 12:49 AM
Unrelated: Out of curiosity, are you allowed to trade the Sovereign Speaker domains for devotion feats?

herrhauptmann
2011-07-27, 01:24 AM
Unrelated: Out of curiosity, are you allowed to trade the Sovereign Speaker domains for devotion feats?

Can trade any domain you have for a devotion of the same name. It's there in the front of the Feat section of Complete Champion. Part of the fun for the Cloistered Cleric, rather than knowledge domain, he's got Knowledge devotion, which is a free +1 to attack and damage, or higher.

My copy has that page all schmutzed up with coffee, so I can't go back and actually read it. BUT, I'm pretty sure that anytime you're required to have a domain for a prereq, you can instead use the devotion to qualify. Hence my sidenote about the Auspicion PrC.

Sovereign Speaker does have a restriction about domains chosen. You can take any domain offered by any of the Host. But you can't take more than 2 domains offered by any one deity. So if one God has say Time, Knowledge, and Magic, and he's the only one to have those three domains, you have to pick just your two favorites.
edit:

And because most of the stuff it gives you sucks compared to what you could get from other classes.

Like having pretty much all the same immunities as a necropolitan when you come back from the dead? But also a bunch of abilities that greatly help your abilities as a cleric or paladin? Especially a cleric/paladin who focuses on killing undead.
So it's a PrC that's not TEH UBERZ! Big woop. Most of the warrior type classes and PrCs aren't awesome either, but people still take them all the time. Same with early 3.5 PrCs, power creep makes the early ones look like crap in comparison to what came later.

If you're going to quote me, at least use the entire post.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-27, 01:24 AM
Warning, almost everyone here hates risen martyr. Partly because of the fact that you're now limited to 10 levels in a class before you have to retire the character. And you're restricted to just one PrC when leveling up.

And because most of the stuff it gives you sucks compared to what you could get from other classes.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-27, 01:33 AM
Take Divine Crusader with the Wrath domain and Quicken Spell.

gbprime
2011-07-27, 11:02 AM
Sovereign Speaker (FoE), 9 domains over 9 levels, from a pantheon-wide list. Also extra domain slots.

Wow. I so totally missed this one. Awesome.