PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Discussion of the 2nd Best GitP Thread Ever

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-07-26, 07:51 PM
It used to be the end all and be all bear build thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205774), which had a short run after stealing the lime light from that dragonforce thread. But now I see why. The only animal better than bears are Llamas. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208726)

Therefore I want as much mechanics as possible in 3.5 concerning these incredibly awesome roleplaying opportunities.

Obviously lycanthrope would be in order if it qualified. For shame. I think playing a real llama is the only way. An Awaken spell is in order. But does anyone even have stats for Llamas? From anywhere legal: dungeon or dragon mags are in. I must find this so I can stat up my next character. Just find me the reference and I'll post the boiled down high points. I'm totally serious by the way.

My opinion of the first best thread is public record on BG. It was so good it even got l

Ksheep
2011-07-26, 08:04 PM
I do not see any references to Llama on the Crystal Keep index for Monsters, and it's typically rather good about categorizing all the stuff from official splatbooks and both Dungeon and Dragon magazines. The same holds true for Alpaca. However, as Llama's are related to Camels, I'd say you should be able to use the Camel stats as a jumping off point and figure it out from there. Camels are found in the Monster Manual and Sandstorm.

Hope this helps.

Treblain
2011-07-27, 12:39 AM
You could take the feat from Sandstorm that lets you rebuke hippopotami, and change it so you can rebuke llamas. If your DM asks what your justification is for altering it, simply respond it makes exactly as much sense as rebuking hippos.

I'm thinking a possible build would be Arcane Hierophant, so you can have a llama as your familiar and animal companion. Its bite carries touch spells... and possibly rabies.

Or a wildshape ranger/Primeval (Frostburn)/Warshaper so you can wildshape into a giant prehistoric llama.

Alternately, play a monk (maybe a Sacred Fist?), so you can be a llama lama. While you're at it, shave your head, get arrow tattoos, and tell people you're on a quest to master the four el-llama-ents.

begooler
2011-07-27, 01:15 AM
I think the best route would be to arm the llama with a mouthpick lance (mouthpicks are in Lords of Madness, perhaps elsewhere.)
Then get some Spirited Charge and Leap Attack in there, and you'll finally have a build that combines those two feats without making the DM cry that it doesn't make sense to be both leaping and mounted at the same time.

Edit: Oh, and found your stats for llamas. Races of the Wild in the section 'Friends of the Wild.' Some folk call them brixashulties.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-07-27, 06:53 PM
I love the llama lama idea

About the Brixashulty those things don't look like lamas after the head. Horns? I hate to say that the camel stats might be a closer fit.

My next question would be, who would awaken a llama? Forrest-dwelling, tree-hugging druids are cliche. So looking up at the camel stats I found the war camel. Now there is an ally a druid might actually keep around but that isn't an animal companion (awakening that would invalidate it). It isn't too far-flung to say that out in the waste/high altitude there could be a druid with a party lama (druids hang with other T1 characters who dump str).

But its a pain to have someone lead around the Llama. Preparing speak with animals gets old. So at some point the druid maximize awakens it. Now we have the awakened war lama which becomes our PC (we assume the HD's stat boost went into wis):

50 speed, 2 1d6hooves, 1d4bite, lowlight vision, scent
+8str, +6dex, +8con, +8int, +2wis, -2cha, +4nat

Like most awakened normal domesticated creatures I assume an LA of 1. Remember you don't have any hands so either being a caster or a weapon-wielder will be difficult. Once sentient, some level drain is the best thing to cure the ECL woes. Going all the way down to 1 is needed to swap out for a class level if not using my balanced ECL variant.

Non-restoration would be tempting for an LA+2 dire version of a war camel llama. That one comic is almost enough motivation for me to make a dire version. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much consistency on 'dire' changes. The whole point would be for a small 1RHD boost (as in dire ape) so all the RHD are good saves and the size bump because you know you want to play a giant war llama. The closest thing I could find is reverse engineered from the dire horse as follows:+10 ms, +6str (+14 after size change), (-2dex), +6con (+10), +2wis (1 stat boost in wis, 1 in cha from the hd), +4cha, +3nat (+6). Throw in the dire bear's natural weapon bump if you want.

With my balance ECL variant makes the LA+2 dire war Llama:
60 speed, huge size, 2 2d6hooves, 1d8bite, lowlight vision, scent
+22str, +4dex, +18con, +8int, +4wis, +2cha, +10nat
7 'free' animal hit dice granting +5BAB, +5base saves, 7 levels of int+2 skill points with climb, listen, hide, move silent, spot, and survival as class skills.

I suppose I

Acanous
2011-07-27, 07:00 PM
These questions are all secondary, really. The main question is what magic items to equip, specifically headgear.

After all, you can't play a Llama without a hat.

ILM
2011-07-28, 03:00 AM
According to Echohawk's monster list, Llamas are statted in Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene, but it's KoK and very much not first party. :smallfrown:

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-28, 09:21 AM
You see a caravan of Lamas traveling through the desert unatended. You attack, only to find they are all awakened swordsage lamas that act as beasts of burden, guards, and caravan masters all at once!

mootoall
2011-07-28, 09:45 AM
Question: What'd you do to piss of Candlejack? I mean, you never finish y

Treblain
2011-07-28, 09:59 PM
Llama Swarm
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 8, Llama 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (50 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One swarm of llamas
Duration: Concentration + 2 rounds
Saving Throw: (see below)
Spell Resistance: No
Camelid Resistance: Consult your local livestock expert

You summon a swarm of angry llamas (and a single duck), which attacks all other creatures within its area. (You may summon the swarm so that it shares the area of other creatures. However, the duck requires its own personal space.) The milling mass of llamas is nearly impossible to navigate, though one may attempt to do so with a successful Handle Animal check (DC 30). If no living creatures are within its area, the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can. Once summoned, the caster has no control over the rampaging llamas. He may choose to pray for forgiveness for what he has unleashed upon the world.

If a creature is in a space occupied by two or more llamas, they must make a Reflex save or be trampled (5d6 damage and knocked prone). If a creature is within five feet of a baby llama, they must make a Will save or be Fascinated. A creature licked by a llama must make a Fortitude save or be sickened.

Arcane Material Component: a lucky llama's foot.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-08-03, 09:35 PM
Llama Swarm
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 8, Llama 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (50 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One swarm of llamas
Duration: Concentration + 2 rounds
Saving Throw: (see below)
Spell Resistance: No
Camelid Resistance: Consult your local livestock expert

You summon a swarm of angry llamas (and a single duck), which attacks all other creatures within its area. (You may summon the swarm so that it shares the area of other creatures. However, the duck requires its own personal space.) The milling mass of llamas is nearly impossible to navigate, though one may attempt to do so with a successful Handle Animal check (DC 30). If no living creatures are within its area, the swarm attacks or pursues the nearest creature as best it can. Once summoned, the caster has no control over the rampaging llamas. He may choose to pray for forgiveness for what he has unleashed upon the world.

If a creature is in a space occupied by two or more llamas, they must make a Reflex save or be trampled (5d6 damage and knocked prone). If a creature is within five feet of a baby llama, they must make a Will save or be Fascinated. A creature licked by a llama must make a Fortitude save or be sickened.

Arcane Material Component: a lucky llama's foot.Best spell ever, mainly because it references "rampaging llamas" :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Saintheart
2011-08-04, 01:37 AM
It's a very little-known fact that llama is the base template for the lammasu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lammasu.htm) and the lamia. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lamia.htm)