PDA

View Full Version : how much is too much?

big teej
2011-07-26, 09:26 PM
greetings fellow dungeon masters of the playground,

I come with a question. simple, and yet utterly complex.

how far/how much are you willing to go/do for a player?

Jude_H
2011-07-26, 09:34 PM
I haven't a clue what you're asking. I doubt I'm alone.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-26, 09:35 PM
I haven't a clue what you're asking. I doubt I'm alone.
No, no you are not.:smallconfused:
Please restate the question, big teej.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-26, 09:36 PM
Yeah, there's not enough information, and so this could range on a scale from "re-rolling stats' to "RL jail sentence'.

Steward
2011-07-26, 09:37 PM
I think what the OP wants to know is... would you take a bullet for a fellow gamer? (in real life, of course).

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-26, 09:40 PM
Well, with a fairly-generic, overly-applicable question like that, I can only provide one fairly-generic, overly-applicable answer:

"Exactly as far/much as keeps the game fun."

big teej
2011-07-26, 09:51 PM
Yeah, there's not enough information, and so this could range on a scale from "re-rolling stats' to "RL jail sentence'.

that's actually exactly the scale I'm asking about.

I think what the OP wants to know is... would you take a bullet for a fellow gamer? (in real life, of course).

this also is an acceptable scale, though a tad specific.

Well, with a fairly-generic, overly-applicable question like that, I can only provide one fairly-generic, overly-applicable answer:

"Exactly as far/much as keeps the game fun."

good answer. :smalltongue:

fair enough, more information is required.

some examples
for my campus group, I routinely...
-run all over campus so players can take a look at a new sourcebook if they wish.
-set up a group page for communication and for better exchange of information
-constantly message people to keep them appraised of what we're doing from week to week.
- set aside several hours of my time to walk them through character creation and allow them access to my full library.

for my summer group and here's where the thread came from
- as above, but also
running several players "minions" as the character they are playing would be far too complex/too much work for them if I did not. this is on top of running another NPC-construct thingy owned by the party and all the baddies.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-26, 09:53 PM
Depends on the player.

If given the choice between saving a soda or a player from falling over a cliff... With some people I've had the misfortune of gaming with, I'd have taken the soda.

RandomNPC
2011-07-26, 10:01 PM
Most of my gamers become long term friends, those who aren't yet would get the everyone else treatment, but here goes.

1. Take care of your family.
2. Take care of your friends.
3. Take care of yourself.
4. Take care of everyone else.

To achieve step 1 you must keep yourself in good health and have a steady job, things like that, so I wouldn't get myself killed or imprisoned for a gamer, but I'd take a punch for one of them any day.

In game, if they aren't having fun, we find a way to fix it that doesn't mess with anybody else having fun.

Slipperychicken
2011-07-26, 11:08 PM
-run all over campus so players can take a look at a new sourcebook if they wish.

PDFs. Email the whole collection, put it on a flash drive(s). Now your players are limited only by time.

Answer: When it exceeds the value of what you're trying to accomplish.

For me, It stops the moment someone asks me to take risks, *especially* over something I care about. I'll explain the rules in my spare time, sure, that sort of thing, but if I realize a friend is abusing my patience by being obnoxious, ungrateful, not pulling his/her weight, or asking me to take risks, I just say no.

opticalshadow
2011-07-27, 02:02 AM
well the man code book denotes that as far as bailing a firend out you take the number of years known*300= max bail limit.

as far as i go in game? liek someone stated above i uploaded every dnd book i had to my pc and allow my players to use whats allowed, ill try to work in custom none breaking homebrew things in our adventures to keep the vets guessing, and work around the characters they made to our campaign, so it always seems centered around them.

IRL, iv egiven rides, gone to hospitals, helped moves things, cleaned their garage with them. the guys i play with are friends, and short of harming myself or putting myself in danger id do most anythign for my friends. i may take a bullet, pending on my judgement of moochability if i live. (i play with one dude whos just plain rich, and id take a bullet for a free car)