PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Force Boss

consal
2011-07-26, 11:14 PM
I'm thinking up a boss who can wall of force at will. He also has the special adjustment to his wall of force that he can, in fact, conjure it mobile, like a wave of force (but cannot control its motion after the casting). No save, no SR attack, touch AC.

So, how much damage, nevermind the level of the protagonists, would a blade made out of a wall of force do? I'm pretty sure there is some precedent for this.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-26, 11:35 PM
I believe there's a spell in the PHB called Mordenkainen's Sword. It inflicts 4d6+3 points of force damage, and it's a 7th level spell. If you were using a Wall of Force to make it, you might want to bump that up, but allow a Reflex save to get out of the way. There's also Persistent Blade, which I haven't seen yet, but it might be worth checking out. Also Spiritual Weapon, which also manifests a blade of force, but it inflicts 1d8 + 1 per 3 caster levels.

There must be others I don't know about. Frankly I just ctrl-F'd "Force" on the spell index, but lost interest after three spells.

Circle of Life
2011-07-26, 11:39 PM
For area of effect spells, there's precedent in Wings of Flurry, which is 1d6/CL force damage to everything in a 60(?) foot cone, reflex half. It has a rider effect of dazing on a failed save. Not the best balanced spell in the history of the game, but there you go.

For an actual sword of force, look at Persistent Blade or Mordenkainen's Sword, depending on the level of your BBEG.

tyckspoon
2011-07-26, 11:44 PM
For area of effect spells, there's precedent in Wings of Flurry, which is 1d6/CL force damage to everything in a 60(?) foot cone, reflex half. It has a rider effect of dazing on a failed save. Not the best balanced spell in the history of the game, but there you go.

30ft burst, IIRC, centered on the caster. Would be a problem, but it's also friend-or-foe intelligent so no friendly-fire problems.

Thiyr
2011-07-26, 11:51 PM
30ft burst, IIRC, centered on the caster. Would be a problem, but it's also friend-or-foe intelligent so no friendly-fire problems.

Actually, 30 ft radius burst with a range of 30 feet.

Circle of Life
2011-07-26, 11:57 PM
30+30=60, so I was almost right! :smalltongue:

NichG
2011-07-27, 02:23 AM
There are a number of spells that make weapons made of force. Spiritual Weapon makes one, as does Divine Retribution (or something like that - it makes a weapon that attacks anyone who attacks you).

Additionally, Riverine is a material from Stormwrack made from Wall of Force.

In all cases, its basically standard damage for the weapon. The Wall of Force nature of it just makes it unbreakable.

Groverfield
2011-07-27, 04:28 AM
If it's blundgeoning type moving wall, you could do things along the lines of fall damage (relative velocity damage) based on the force of impact. I'd imagine such a boss wouldn't rely on direct damage as much as suffocation or crushing damage (fort or die each turn for being crushed into a wall by a force effect,) this would be a foe the players would have to out-maneuver the boss to win, IMO.

Runestar
2011-07-27, 04:47 AM
The force dragon can move through wall of force without hindrance. That might be quite annoying for a party. :smallamused:

hewhosaysfish
2011-07-27, 02:29 PM
The force dragon can move through wall of force without hindrance. That might be quite annoying for a party. :smallamused:

Or there's a PrC in CArc: Argent Savant.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-27, 02:57 PM
Or anyone with a really, really, to the power of really pumped Escape Artist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#passthroughWallofForce) check.