PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Villain

Nevereatcars
2011-07-27, 01:33 AM
Who is your favorite OotS villain? To clarify, A villain is anybody who has ever fought against, argued with, dissaproved of, or hindered in any way the Order as a whole or its individual members.

Mutant Sheep
2011-07-27, 01:45 AM
Who is your favorite OotS villain? To clarify, A villain is anybody who has ever fought against, argued with, dissaproved of, or hindered in any way the Order as a whole or its individual members.

My favorite is the chimera Trigak (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0018.html) for his bluntness in his epicness.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-27, 01:50 AM

Kind of an open definition there. How do you want define the Order? Belkar argues with his teammates all the time. Yeah, it's easy to call him a villain, but V's argued with the Order before. I'm pretty sure everyone in it has done this. Not to mention people who have "hindered" the Order included:

-Elan: blowing up Dorukan's Gate
-Roy: betraying the Order for a strange warrior who tried to kill them because he thought she was hot

Boogastreehouse
2011-07-27, 05:45 AM
It's always so hard for me to choose a favorite...

Tsukiko manages to exceed her fan-service trappings, and present a somewhat interesting character, but really, she's just around for fun.

Redcloak is more compelling, because of his deeply conflicted motivations and tragic flaws, but still, saying he's my favorite seems... off...

Xykon: I think it's very rare to present an evil character that acknowledges their evil-ness, revels in it in fact, and doesn't collapse into a singularity of two or fewer dimensions. I believe that Xykon is, as Thog would phrase it, elegant in his simplicity. We've likely thoroughly explored the depths of his character; I doubt he has any surprises in store for us; and yet I find his every appearance interesting and his every action believable.

Yup. Predictable as it may be, I gotta go with the main antagonist.

(though Tarquin is almost as interesting a study in Lawful Evil as Xykon is in Chaotic Evil.)

ThePhantasm
2011-07-27, 05:50 AM
To clarify, A villain is anybody who has ever fought against, argued with, dissaproved of, or hindered in any way the Order as a whole or its individual members.

By that definition, a villain could be several members of the Order itself. Out of curiosity, why did you feel compelled to include this clarification? I think most people know what a villain is... this clarification confuses me more than it actually clarifies.

Jay R
2011-07-27, 06:36 AM
By that definition, a villain could be several members of the Order itself. Out of curiosity, why did you feel compelled to include this clarification? I think most people know what a villain is... this clarification confuses me more than it actually clarifies.

Agreed. Until I read the definition, this was going to be a hard question, but by the definition, the answer is Belkar.

Demonic1000
2011-07-27, 07:35 AM
Rather than over-complicate:

Tarquin, for his cunning and love of the dramatic. Wait, he doesn't seem to fit the clarif-

Cizak
2011-07-27, 08:55 AM
To clarify, A villain is anybody who has ever argued with the Order as a whole or its individual members.

Er... so Shojo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0405.html) is a villain? :smallconfused:

Jay R
2011-07-27, 10:10 AM
OK, I am officially bored with all the discussion of the definition. I think we all agree that any definition of a "villain" that includes Shojo and most of the Order but not Tarquin is an unhelpful definition. Let's all agree to drop that definition and the discussion about it.

So who is your favorite villain, as we normally consider the word, ignoring word games?

Mine is Tarquin. His evil villain speech while fighting the hero was excellent, and the background illumination added the right level of emphasis to his villainy.

Killer Angel
2011-07-27, 10:31 AM
Xykon and Tarquin
(BTW, T. is certainly a villain, but officially he has not yet fought the Order...)

edit: honorable mention for Miko. :smallwink:

super dark33
2011-07-27, 10:39 AM
The guardien of the holey brotherhood (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html):smallbiggrin:

Esprit15
2011-07-27, 12:50 PM
Easy. Tarquin, because he actually has goals and nows what he's doing. If he wanted to be, he could be a real threat to anybody who crosses him (and normally is).

Nevereatcars
2011-07-27, 12:51 PM
Kind of an open definition there. How do you want define the Order? Belkar argues with his teammates all the time. Yeah, it's easy to call him a villain, but V's argued with the Order before. I'm pretty sure everyone in it has done this. Not to mention people who have "hindered" the Order included:

-Elan: blowing up Dorukan's Gate
-Roy: betraying the Order for a strange warrior who tried to kill them because he thought she was hot

That was, in fact, intentional.

Demonic1000
2011-07-27, 01:31 PM

Looks like Tarquin is quite popular even though he doesn't fit the definition. Within the definition though, definitely Ser Bitterleaf :belkar:.

Arrghus
2011-07-27, 01:47 PM
Favorite who fits the definition? Roy

Character I like the most due to their actual villainous qualifications? Xykon

Jay R
2011-07-27, 02:02 PM
The guardien of the holey brotherhood (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html):smallbiggrin:

Really? You think he's better than Baron Pineapple?

Alaba Blackveil
2011-07-27, 02:04 PM
1. Xykon
2. Crystal

Kato
2011-07-27, 02:10 PM
I like villains with a good motive... so Redcloak all the way.
Though I can appreciate Xykon and Tarquin for their respective traits as well.

Aurenthal
2011-07-27, 02:29 PM
Belkar (by the OP definition)

But "real" villains:
-Xykon, he is EPIC and undead
-IFCC, I really want to know what they really are up to

Nevereatcars
2011-07-27, 02:49 PM
Looks like Tarquin is quite popular even though he doesn't fit the definition. Within the definition though, definitely Ser Bitterleaf :belkar:.

Tarquin hindered the order when he refused to tell them about Girard until after the parade.

Tundar
2011-07-27, 03:30 PM
MitD

He's as clueless as Elan and kicks more ass than soulspliced V. But he has a tender side too. Can't do nothing but love him.

FireDrake
2011-07-27, 04:13 PM
I miss the Shadowdancer and "Kaboom" Redaxe from the inn sub-plot.

Aside from that Monster-san is definately my favourite.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-27, 04:15 PM

So, any character could count as a villain then?

Mutant Sheep
2011-07-27, 05:11 PM
So any one who argues with the Order is a villain...hmmn.... I think Elan is my favorite villain then. :smalltongue:

Cizak
2011-07-27, 05:51 PM
I have to go with Elan as well, simply because I never got he was a villain until now. Now that's a good villain!

OrzhvoPatriarch
2011-07-27, 05:54 PM
Xykon, got to go with the lich who has power and style (Though style can slide in a pinch).

137beth
2011-07-27, 06:01 PM
My favorite is Redcloak. Unlike Xykon or Nale, RC has substantial depth to him. In fact, he is the only one who the reader can actually sympathize with (he's out for something other than "take over the world 'cause I'm bored"). Plus, goblins are awesome.

Luminescence
2011-07-27, 06:11 PM
Which named characters are not also villains?

FireDrake
2011-07-27, 07:28 PM
I have to go with Elan as well, simply because I never got he was a villain until now. Now that's a good villain!

You only just noticed? Geoff and Ian had him figured out over twenty strips ago. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0771.html)

Nevereatcars
2011-07-27, 07:44 PM

The Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission. Also, Solt Lorkyurg.

Lord Bingo
2011-07-27, 07:45 PM
I'd have to go with the Monster in the Darkness.

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-27, 08:10 PM
If I had to pick my top three, I would go with the Monster in the Darkness as my favorite, although I hardly think he is a villain. Redcloak as my second one, because I can relate to him. Plus, he's just awesome naturally with his personality. And Tsukiko and her death squad of wights simply because they are hilarious and Tsukiko has a bit of depth.
Also, by OP definiton, I would still go with the Monster in the darkness. He's so lovable, lol.

nerd4life123
2011-07-27, 09:42 PM
Redcloak. Personally, I'm hoping he'll ally with the OOTS to take down Xykon, then lead the goblins against them as the new Big Bad. Why else would they be made so easy to sympathize with recently?

Esprit15
2011-07-27, 11:28 PM
None of them.

RLivengood
2011-07-29, 11:54 AM
I'm weirdly partial to Gannji, despite him having been around for fewer than 100 strips.

Zerg Cookie
2011-07-29, 12:43 PM
Tarquin wasn't around 100 strips ago either, still my favorite

Warmage
2011-07-29, 02:18 PM
The Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission. Also, Solt Lorkyurg.

You're right, that bastard was really shady (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html). My vote goes to Solt...

denthor
2011-07-29, 02:39 PM
Hot airborne tramps... in short skirts. Any more will get me red carded.

martianmister
2011-07-29, 04:23 PM
You're right, that bastard was really shady (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html). My vote goes to Solt...

Did you read her post? :smallconfused:

Which named characters are not also villains?The Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission. Also, Solt Lorkyurg.

Alagaesian
2011-07-29, 07:51 PM
My top villain is a tie between Miko and Redcloak, mostly because I like the way the two of them explore morality conventions. My third would have to be Nale because he's funny and does a great job at stirring up the pot - he's been able to interrupt the main plot three times so far.

I'm not that excited about Tarquin. Sure, a genre-savvy chessmaster makes for a great villain, but I've seen a lot of other villains take on either of those two traits. The only other thing I find interesting about him is that he's collecting an enormous amount of power in order to live a life of luxury, rather than gain power for the sake of it.

TheMac04
2011-07-29, 08:01 PM
I don't think the MitD counts as a villain. I mean, the Giant would not have developed him so much with his conversations with O'Chul just to turn him into a straight antagonist.

As for me, I'm strangely partial to Zz'dtri, now that he's back. He's short, understated dialogue reminds me a lot of Rorschach, and I like his cool, quiet confidence. I don't care if he's a rip-off. Sue me.

Acora
2011-07-29, 08:08 PM
Tarquin, definitely. Red Cloak is a close second, however, for vastly different reasons. Tarquin is incredibly intelligent, manipulative, charming, and incredibly cruel, though with an actual reason to be so. That's the best kind of villain. That's why I enjoy Jigsaw moreso then pretty much any Slasher monster ever.

Red Cloak, however, is extremely compelling. He has an awesomely tragic backstory, he actually has a legitimate reason for what he's doing and allows him to seem more humanized, and he's got a kickass dry sense of humor.

As to Xykon, he's incredibly funny, at times. Hell, some of the best lines in the whole comic came from him. He is, however, pure, unadulterated evil. He's cruel, moreso then Tarquin, and he acts as such simply because he can, or because he enjoys watching the suffering. And after the huge 'kick the dog' moment when he made Red Cloak kill Right Eye....

137beth
2011-07-29, 08:10 PM
I don't think the MitD counts as a villain. I mean, the Giant would not have developed him so much with his conversations with O'Chul just to turn him into a straight antagonist.

He isn't a "straight" antagonist, but he could become a villain. Recloak has had a lot of development, and has shown that he cares greatly about his family/friends. Yet he is still a villain. In other words, a character does not need to be a pure manifestation of evil to be considered a villain.

That being said, MitD has not done much so far to qualify for villainy. That doesn't mean he won't become one in the future, but right now, his being a villain essentially depends on his alliance with Xykon.

TheMac04
2011-07-29, 09:25 PM
He isn't a "straight" antagonist, but he could become a villain. Recloak has had a lot of development, and has shown that he cares greatly about his family/friends. Yet he is still a villain. In other words, a character does not need to be a pure manifestation of evil to be considered a villain.

That being said, MitD has not done much so far to qualify for villainy. That doesn't mean he won't become one in the future, but right now, his being a villain essentially depends on his alliance with Xykon.

What I mean is, I don't really see him as, ultimately, being an antagonist. I don't think he will oppose the Order when things really start to get serious, and his struggle between working with Xykon or working with, say, O'Chul (Assuming the paladins are present at the final battle. You know what I mean.) will be pivotal to the story.

Warren Dew
2011-07-29, 09:41 PM
I also disagree with the definition in the original post. I think that definition would fit the word "adversary" better.

My favorite villain is Xykon; he has style that has not yet been equalled. Next is Tarquin, who also has style but not always aplomb. I also like Tsukiko, but she needs a bigger part than she has had so far.

My favorite adversary is Miko.

TheMac04
2011-07-29, 09:43 PM
I don't know if I'd call Miko a "villain", but she's definitely an antagonist.

Steward
2011-07-29, 10:40 PM
I kind of liked this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html). His style of villainy was pretty subtle, but his manipulation of Roy into the clutches of the Linear Guild was masterful.

snikrept
2011-07-30, 02:44 AM
I kind of liked this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html). His style of villainy was pretty subtle, but his manipulation of Roy into the clutches of the Linear Guild was masterful.

Plus he has a very high quality Villainous Handlebar Mustache.

Jay R
2011-07-30, 09:39 AM
Tarquin wasn't around 100 strips ago either, still my favorite

Yes, he was, technically. He was introduced back in comic #50. The Giant didn't tell us much about him then, but I understand that. See, by not telling us, it increases the potential for dramatic tension should they meet later in the comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html).

And reading the strip without that knowledge was totally worth it just for that reveal (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0723.html)!

Killer Angel
2011-07-30, 10:58 AM
Xykon and Tarquin
(BTW, T. is certainly a villain, but officially he has not yet fought the Order...)

ARRGH!
Totally forgot:

-IFCC, I really want to know what they really are up to

Yeah, here's another IFCC.
So, my favourite villain is... a trio. :smallbiggrin:

oball
2011-07-30, 11:46 AM
The dirt farmer from this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0222.html).

Yep, he's definitely my favourite villein.

Demonic1000
2011-07-30, 02:33 PM
The dirt farmer

Back in my day we had weapon proficiencies and non-weapon proficiencies!

Techhead
2011-07-30, 05:58 PM
I'd have to say:
1. Tarquin — Evil, but with definite purpose. Genre-savvy. Intelligent, charming and affable. Also, he puns.
2. Redcloak — Interesting dynamic with other characters, especially his comrades. Fairly intelligent and an interesting character.
3. Nale — Smart, but hilariously incompetent in his schemes.

Warmage
2011-08-01, 12:37 PM
Did you read her post? :smallconfused:

According to OP:

Solt hindered Belkar. And he most likely dissapproved of being stabbed. Solt had a donkey and cart (and chocolate!) and Belkar wanted them. Belkar saw Solt as hindering him, plus you know, murder, so bonus! Granted he may or may not have sold it to them and probably would have given it to him after being threatened.

The point is Belkar saw him as a hindrance and so decided to end the gnomish menace.

HyperionWolf
2011-08-01, 01:18 PM
IFCC. They are only guys who have a trully devious plan.
Sure, Redcloak wants Revenge and all that, and Xykon wants to rule the world (Becouse he is...bored?) But Hey, "Knocking on Heaven`s Door" With an army of devils, daemons and Demons is much more...exciting.:smallamused:

martianmister
2011-08-01, 04:15 PM
According to OP:

But you said "you're right, he's really shady" to him, which totally contradict with what he really said... :smallconfused:

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-01, 04:28 PM
1. Xykon
2. Thog
3. Lee, Nero, and Cedrik
4. Kubota
5. :roach:

martianmister
2011-08-01, 04:41 PM
1. Tarquin
2. Nale
3. Redcloak
4. Xykon
5. Samantha

legomaster00156
2011-08-01, 04:55 PM
1. Redcloak: He's one of the better-developed characters throughout the strips, and his unwavering loyalty to "the plan", in addition to his level, both cement him as one of the most powerful threats to the Order.
2. Z'ditrii (or however it's spelled): He has won my favor by defeating Vaarsuvius, the most powerful member of the Order, twice so far, by building himself specifically to duel hir. So far, he has not earned a scratch between either one of the two duels.

UrsielHauke
2011-08-04, 07:44 PM
Solt Lorkyurg, Baron Pineapple, MitD, and Tsukiko.

lio45
2011-08-04, 09:54 PM
My favorite villain? Solt Lorkyurg.

(He did slow down Haley/Belkar's progress when he showed up.)

Das Platyvark
2011-08-04, 10:08 PM
Xykon. I don't know how best to describe it, except by his absolute evil.
"So, Uncle Xykon, what's the moral of this story? A big pile of spells isn't enough when the other guy has a big pile of spells and can crush your windpipe with his bare phalanges."
He's obnoxious and horrible. I love it.

AlexG
2011-08-04, 10:39 PM
Xykon is one of the best villians i have ever seen. He's up there with the Joker for sure. Why?

1. He's funny. He is able to fight heroes and still be half serious about it. He hardly ever tries, cracks jokes, and doesn't remember Roy's name.

2. He can be serious when he needs to. When he sees there is any chance of him being defeated, Xykon can say "hey, fun time is over, time to get down to business." Good example is when he was about to meteor swarm Ochul and Vaarsuvius.

3. He's smarter than he looks. When he needs to, Xykon can be extremely cunning. Keeping a dumb looking exterior also keeps the good guys underestimating him.

4. He is Evil with a capital E. He knows he is evil, and enjoys it. he doesn't give a crap at all. He is not restricted to any morals at all. He will do whatever he needs to win.

Edit: Tarquin is also pretty high up there. He is more of the evil mastermind. He is smart enough to have power, yet appear to be the 2nd in command. Xykon may be more powerful in a 1v1 battle, but Tarquin has figured out how to rule an entire continent without anyone even being suspicious of the fact.

Demonic1000
2011-08-05, 11:06 AM
Xykon is one of the best villians i have ever seen. He's up there with the Joker for sure....

....Edit: Tarquin is also pretty high up there. He is more of the evil mastermind. He is smart enough to have power, yet appear to be the 2nd in command. Xykon may be more powerful in a 1v1 battle, but Tarquin has figured out how to rule an entire continent without anyone even being suspicious of the fact.

Can't go wrong with either of them. Evil - A Growth Industry

TheMac04
2011-08-11, 08:06 PM
Can't go wrong with either of them. Evil - A Growth Industry

Then again, evil is not one big happy family.

UrsielHauke
2011-08-12, 08:35 PM
Then again, evil is not one big happy family.

Exactly. *Industry*, not *Family*. Industry involves a ton of exploitation, a lack of social responsibility, and a complete and total disregard for playing fair.

Vaarsuvius4181
2011-08-12, 09:55 PM
That pack of ninjas nobody saw waayy back in the beginning of the comic.

Classic, got me into the comic.

Raistlin82
2011-08-13, 11:52 AM
1) Redcloak
2) Xykon
3) Thog

Also, Tarquin is BO-RING! :smallyuk:
It's weird, no matter how many things slip under his nose, the audience still thinks he's a genius.
And it's also weird that no matter how many strips are wasted in his boring side-quest, the audience still thinks he's interesting and important.

Thank you Nale for crashing the party. Finally something worth my time! :smallcool:

jidasfire
2011-08-13, 04:08 PM
Also, Tarquin is BO-RING! :smallyuk:
It's weird, no matter how many things slip under his nose, the audience still thinks he's a genius.
And it's also weird that no matter how many strips are wasted in his boring side-quest, the audience still thinks he's interesting and important.

Thank you Nale for crashing the party. Finally something worth my time! :smallcool:

Well, I don't know if I'd go as far as you with all that, but it does somewhat remain in question just how much of a villain Tarquin is for the Order. He is a terrible person, he's confirmed this over and over through his actions, and the liberation of his empire might indeed be a great story in itself. But since the Order has much bigger problems to deal with, like Xykon and Redcloak either ruling the multiverse forever or outright destroying it, and the fact that Tarquin likes the Order as much as he's capable of liking anyone, it puts them in the somewhat morally awkward position of not being directly opposed to him. He's essentially filling a similar role to Shojo, except where Shojo was a decent yet scheming ruler and could to some degree be relied upon, Tarquin is someone whose loyalty and friendship is tenuous at best, and any wrong move could find the whole Order at the mercy of an army or descended upon by high level evil adventurers. It creates an extra challenge without him actually being their enemy. At least that's what I think.

TheMac04
2011-08-13, 05:06 PM
Exactly. *Industry*, not *Family*. Industry involves a ton of exploitation, a lack of social responsibility, and a complete and total disregard for playing fair.

That sounds a lot like my family.

Scarlet Knight
2011-08-15, 02:58 PM
Thog wins hands down as no villian makes me laugh harder or was missed more. Even Nale admits he is always upstaged by Thog!

irenicObserver
2011-08-22, 04:52 AM

My favorites are the IFCC mainly because watching Angel has made me associate them with Wolfram & Hart.

Hawkeye
2011-08-22, 06:08 AM
If I go by the OP I would have to say Miko, since reading SSaDT I actually miss her being in the comic and would have liked to see her character develop, hopefully away from being an overbearing self-righteous cow.

If I go by the an actual villain villain I'll have to say Tarquin.

Heksefatter
2011-08-22, 09:16 AM
Tarquin or Xykon. I simply can't choose.

Umberhulk
2011-08-22, 03:17 PM
I'm not seeing as much love for Redcloak as I expected. Revolution!!

Gd8908
2011-08-22, 04:00 PM
My Top 3 are...
3: Xykon, for the reason that he's so entertaining even in his relative simplicity...
2: Redcloak, for opposite reasons. His complex personality, his virtues and his slights, coupled with the fact that he's able to look back and realize his mistakes, makes him quite deserving to be my second favorite...
3: Miko, since I personally to make a stick figure so realistic and hate-able.
I would put Belkar in there, but your alignment doesn't make you a villain by itself, and, as Roy would put it, he's still being pointed in the direction of the baddies.

magwaaf
2011-08-22, 08:23 PM
Xykon and Tarquin

edit: honorable mention for Miko. :smallwink:

he fought elan remember?

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-22, 08:26 PM
he fought elan remember?

No, Elan fought him. All Tarquin did was a lawful-neutral disarmament and defend himself. He never tried to hurt or kill Elan. Then again, since ELAN is a villain... And Tarquin fought a villain then... Tarquin is a member of the Order, Elan isn't. (Since Villain includes people who argue, both count as villains, since Elan pains and annoys Roy enough to at least be antagonistic.)

veti
2011-08-22, 08:41 PM
After that last strip, I think Zz'dtri has just earned several coolness points.

Favorite villain would be Thog, followed by Redcloak, then Miko, Sabine, Nale, Xykon in that order.

Tarquin would rank somewhere below Trigak. Talk about overrated.