PDA

View Full Version : The Beasts' Shard (IC)

BooNL
2011-07-27, 05:23 AM
The Beast's Shard

Prologue
The Kingdom of Alden stretches far and wide. It lies between the South Sea and the Shining Teeth Lake to the north. Its lands contain some of the most fertile ground in the region which gives the kingdom its fame for fine wines and good food.
This has also brought with it the ire of neighbouring countries. The Empire of Vas, the unholy lands of the Dreadlord Maltan and the rebellous Free States all have their eyes on the Kingdom. Due to the nearly constant wars on three fronts, most young abled men are sent to join the fray. This has left most of the small rural communities in the Kingdom without protection.
Bands of goblins, beastmen and bandits pray on the commoners, leading Godfred III, Exalted King of Alden to decree mercenary companies to act as local militia.

Despite your varied backgrounds you are all members of the Crimson Guard, a mercenary company led by a pocket-filling gnome named Bolobus Grandius, second cousin to the acting president of the famous 'Grandius Cheese Emporium' and if he is to believed, close friend of Bardac the Slayer, the most popular dwarven wrestler to have ever lived.

You are headed for the village of Shaman's Pass, deep within the forests of Silverwood Valley. A small logging community apparently under siege by bandits. Bolobus Grandius has elected to join you on this venture, given that his brother-in-law's first cousin's stepmother runs a small bakery there and he hasn't spoken to her in months.

Chapter 1:
The Contract
In which our heroes prepare themselves to rid the lands of another threat and learn the Silverwood has secrets darker than they could have prepared for.

It is the sixth day of your journey and your third day travelling the well beaten cobblestone roads of the vast Silverwood Valley. The Stone Way, on which you travel is the only way in and out of the forest from this side, the east.
Bolobus Grandius, paymaster of the Grimson Guard, has been unusually quiet throughout the journey, preferring the comfort and seclusion of his coach to the company of his mercenaries. He has been graceous enough to purchase horses for you, which is surprising as horses are a luxery now that the Ironhoof Centaurs have taken to raiding most of the pastures and supply lines of the eastern kingdom. Though slightly under fed, the animals have made travelling a lot easier on you.

Shaman's Pass is still a half day's travel away and as you approach the town, you realize you don't know anything about the contract.

OOC

Use this time to introduce your character. Describe his appearance and have some conversations with your fellow PCs.

In a couple of posts we'll pick up the story.

weckar
2011-07-27, 04:56 PM
Trying to stay near the middle of the group, Dulic starts playing with a coin out of boredom.

"So, this time tomorrow we will know what this situation is actually about?"

Alagaesian
2011-07-27, 05:30 PM
Leon snickered, continuing to guide his mount from the rear of the group. "At the very least, I would have expected more words out of him. He usually likes to talk himself up, and I ignore him when he does it. Now I actually have a reason to listen, and he doesn't want to come out of his coach?"

ExtravagantEvil
2011-07-27, 09:18 PM
I adjust my scarlet hat and say
"Gentlemen, have patience. Whatever words he say must be of most importance if we're to wait! Besides, we all will be fine regardless what he says, for it'll all end with our foes, or at least mine, soundly defeated!".
I say the last portion with a rising note of heroic starry eyed confidence.

WhamBamSam
2011-07-28, 02:07 PM
Waerix turns to his associates and smiles. "It is a bit odd for him to be so secretive, but I doubt it's anything to be too worried about. I wouldn't mind a bit more detail on this job of ours, but we've at least got a direction to travel, and sometimes that's all you really need."

ExtravagantEvil
2011-07-28, 02:23 PM
I turn to Waerix and say with a friendly smile
"I couldn't have put it better myself."

weckar
2011-07-28, 03:03 PM
Continuing to play with the coin, not looking at the others, Dulic speaks:
"That's all fine and optimistic, but don't you find it strange we have not at least run into a messenger from the place we are going? We have been traveling for almost a week now, and any situation can change a lot in that time."

stanleyindraven
2011-07-28, 03:14 PM
"Hm, usually I would want more deatails myself but times are hard and I offered to help," Dradir speaks from beneath his helmet in a hardy voice. His chain shirt glistens in the sun, as does the rather large spike on his shield that never seems to leave his arm. The only weapon any of the group has seen him hold is a throwing axe, begs to question if he fancies himself a ranged combatant or what. The party knows that he has short blonde hair and steely blue eyes but as for his true meaning any time he makes a face it is unknown whether he is in pain or happy. He is young and heavy with muscle and wears dark brown pants and boots that look as though they haven't been cleaned in weeks, either pair.

"Won't do a lot of good wondering, we should know soon enough," he continues.

Alagaesian
2011-07-28, 06:53 PM
Leon rolls his eyes, knowing it will be harder for anyone to catch his exasperated expression because he is riding behind them. "All I'm asking for is something to look forward to. We've been on the road for almost a week, and because I've never ridden a horse before in my life, I have saddle sores in...uncomfortable places. I'm tired of sleeping in this pinchy chain shirt because I'm afraid goblins are going to jump on us in the middle of the night.

"If I knew we were riding in safe territory, we would be a lot more relaxed and the trip would be easier to cope with. If we knew we were inside or headed for a dangerous or disputed region, we would put up with discomfort because we'd have no other choice. But as it is, it feels like we've been taking these extra precautions for nothing. Grandius would let us know if we were in a dangerous area, right? But, then again, we're not seeing any messengers or guards or anything..."

ExtravagantEvil
2011-07-29, 01:36 AM
I say with a dignity as I adjust my Cloak to be more comfortable,

"The Roads all have their blessings and curses my fair weather friend. We'll see what happens, and the surprise is the best part! What is lifes road without a twist or turn, No?"

My speech grows a louder and inspirational as I gracefully hold my rapier aloft, unsheathed with the speed of lightning; the blade glimmering in the dappled forest sun.

"The sword shines brightest as it slices deft and fast in ones periphery, and so do lifes brightest moments form in the surprises of lifes roads. They fly faster than any bird and can leave deeper impressions than any saddle sore! Let us not bemoan the mystery, let us revel in the suspense, and may the world's manifold opprotunities be born before us for us to seize and claim as our own!"

With that I dash forward and take to the front of the group, channeling my self induced adrenaline rush as best, and constructively as possible.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 05:35 AM
"I don't know about all of that, but this life adds a bit to fun, and if you are lucky, riches," Dradir says as he watches the long winded one ride forth.

BooNL
2011-07-29, 05:49 AM
After an hours travel you see a small wooden tower up the road, the wood on it old and weathered from the last seasons heavy rainfall. A small baricade of carts blocks the roads. This is the first checkpoint you have seen in the Silverwood and as you approach you hear a shout coming from the tower.

A middle-aged guard, wearing a tattered breastplate steps out from behind the carts and hails you to stop. "Ho there travellers, have you heard nothing of how dangerous the Silverwood is? Merchants from all nearby villages have been warned to stay away from Shaman's Pass."

weckar
2011-07-29, 06:58 AM
Dulic puts his coin away, gets off his horse and walks up to the guard. He walks as though he could have been balancing an invisible stack of books on his head at that very moment. He addresses the guard in a calm way, yet filling his voice with force.

"Good day, sir! We are not merchants, and we are not from nearby. We are mercenaries, and we have been called upon to rid this area of the very danger of which you speak. Please, let us pass. "

While saying this, Dulic tries his best to not falsely convey any hostile intentions.

stanleyindraven
2011-07-29, 08:24 AM
"I think what he means say is, 'Currently we are under the employ of Bolobus Grandius who has comissioned our services to help Shaman's Pass'," Dradir calls down from the horse. "We wish to pass so that we may assist in the relief efforts. If you so wish you may disturb Grandius, he is in the carriage."

weckar
2011-07-29, 12:30 PM
While Dradir is taking over the conversation, Dulic tries to get an idea of anything that may be not what it seems.

WhamBamSam
2011-07-29, 12:49 PM
"If he's going to talk to Bolobus, it might as well be out here where we can all listen." Waerix turns to address the guard. "I can go and get him for you if you like."

BooNL
2011-07-30, 12:21 PM
"Aye," the guardsman responds. "I have heard the counsel sent the word out for mercenaries. I just never expected any to show."

He takes a step forward, looking more relaxed in his stance. "I would need to see your credentials though, I can't let any armed esco...". The guard is cut off midsentance by the sound of a horn blowing in the distance. Two more guardsmen step out from behind the barricade, both armed with leather armour and sword and shield ready in hand.

"Incoming raiders from the north!" the guard in the tower shouts.

The guard captain curses. "Draw steel men, protect your flanks! he turns towards the five of you. "Seek cover, the beastmen start their assaults by throwing spears."

stanleyindraven
2011-07-30, 05:20 PM
Dradir will dismount and move close to the tower.

BooNL
2011-07-30, 06:39 PM
"Mr. Grandius!", Lorain Gardsma, Grandius' coachdriver and bodyguard jumps off the wagon and opens the door. "Mr Grandius, we're under atta...," her words are cut off. "He's gone!"

In the distance you hear strange sounds, almost like goats braying, alongside the barking of dogs coming closer.

weckar
2011-07-30, 06:45 PM
Dulic takes cover behind the carts.

WhamBamSam
2011-07-30, 08:22 PM
Waerix rides about, hurriedly blessing his allies with magical augmentation before dismounting near the carts and drawing his bow.

Assuming this isn't more than I have time for before the enemy gets here...

Protection From Evil on Dradir, Bull's Strength on Dreggory, and a Readied Action to shoot the first enemy spotted within longbow range.

ExtravagantEvil
2011-07-30, 10:57 PM
I prepare myself for most valiant combat with these attackers and position myself next to Dulic behind the carts. Specifically, at the edge of the cart wall for easy leaping and surprise.
"Best of Luck Dulic, let your art do as much good as mine"." I say with an encouraging smile.

weckar
2011-07-31, 11:05 AM
Dulic tries to cast Mage Armor on both himself and Sir Dreggory.

"We may need this."

In case time is limited, Dreggory gets priority.

Alagaesian
2011-07-31, 07:06 PM
Leon stiffens at the sound of those strange beastmen and their dogs, but knows that action must be taken to prepare for the fight that may come. He dismounts his steed and leads it around the barricade, being very careful not to spook it. He quickly loops the reins over a post on a cart to keep his horse from escaping. These things are valuable, after all, and he doesn't want to take the chance of his mount bolting during the attack.

BooNL
2011-08-01, 05:55 AM
Lorain is the last to jump behind the barricade, whispering a quick prayer to Heironious as she draws her sword.

The braying from the woods comes ever closer and before long you see several dark shapes running out of the woods. Twisted combinations of man and goat, the beastmen look savage and angry. You see four of them near the coach, each armed with a javelin and an axe or club. They are flanked by two starving hounds, more wolf than dog. One of the beastmen stalks up to the cart and inspects its contents.

They haven't noticed you yet behind the barricade. The guard captain whispers "Stay quiet and they might go away."

weckar
2011-08-01, 06:49 AM
Staying behind the carts, Dulic tries to silently inspect the carts for anything useful.

Alagaesian
2011-08-01, 07:14 AM
Leon draws his bow as quietly as he can, slides an arrow out of his quiver, and knocks it. He makes an effort to quiet his breathing and relax the nervous tension in his body.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-01, 07:40 AM
Dradir will draw his throwing axe in preparation for the fight to come. Keeping an eye on the closest dog.

WhamBamSam
2011-08-01, 11:40 AM
Waerix draws his bow and nocks an arrow keeping his breathing calm and trying not to alert the beastmen.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-01, 12:19 PM
Dradir looses his axe at the dog closest to him in hopes that it will splay the beast in one shot. "Surprise!" He yells as he begins a charge at one of the men.

ExtravagantEvil
2011-08-01, 12:47 PM
I Join Draidir In his Surprise Attack
"Taste My Blade Monsters!"

WhamBamSam
2011-08-01, 03:39 PM
Waerix draws back his bowstring and looses an arrow at another of the beastmen.

BooNL
2011-08-03, 07:43 AM
Within moments, the cobblestone road turns into a battlefield.

Dradir's axe narrowly misses the hound as he charges up to the beast. The creature snarls in reply, saliva dripping from its long sharp canines.
Meanwhile, Sir Dreggory charges the beastman closest to the coach and with expert precision stabs the creature in the heart. It brays a scream of pain as it goes down cold.

Waerix knocks one of his arrows and lets it fly, it hits the second beastman in the shoulder, causing it to drop its javelin in pain.

weckar
2011-08-03, 08:22 AM
Dulic takes careful aim and casts

"Color Spray"

Alagaesian
2011-08-03, 06:36 PM
Leon sighs. "Why does everyone have to go stabbing things without making a plan first?" Then, he pokes up from behind the barrier just in time to see one of Waerix's arrows strike its target. Leon pulls back his bowstring, taking careful aim and the third, unscathed beastman before letting the arrow fly.

BooNL
2011-08-04, 07:43 AM
Dulic's spell takes shape and a wave of Red, Blue and Green dust flows over the battlefield, stunning the beastman Waerix wounded earlier and one of the wolves.

Leon takes aim at one of the remaining beastmen, wounded it in the stomach, the creature winces in pain.

The guard captain curses at orders his men to charge into the fray. He leaps over the cart and attacks the beastman wounded by Leon. The creature returns in kind by hammering its axe through the captain's shield, causing a deep wound in the man's chest. The captain gasps in pain, but manages to keep his footing.

Meanwhile, the wolf Dradir attacked leaps at the man, but fails to connect a hit.

Surprised by the attack, the last beastman not in combat grabs the horn by its side and blows it. A large roar is heard behind the cart and you see a large bull-horned creature charge through the woods. It brings its head down and charges at Grandius' guard.
Lorain, surprised by the attack, feels a sharp sting of pain as the minotaur lodges its horn into the woman's shoulder, causing her to drop her shield.
She and the remaining two guards retaliate, but the creature simply laughs at their attempts.

Alagaesian
2011-08-04, 08:55 AM
Leon curses and does an about-face towards the minotaur nearby. When he pulls an arrow from his quiver, he realizes that he accidentally drew two arrows instead of one. He shrugs, then fires both arrows at the minotaur, one after the other.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 09:01 AM
Dradir swings his spiked shield at the wolf trying to impale it.

WhamBamSam
2011-08-04, 11:43 AM
Waerix runs up behind Lorain, reaching out a hand to touch her and speaking speaking words of power in an attempt to magically alleviate her injuries.

ExtravagantEvil
2011-08-04, 08:39 PM
I, with a cool and steady head, prepare myself for the any creatures that dare attack me and prepare to defend myself against any rampant Beastmen or their animal servants.

weckar
2011-08-09, 08:43 AM
Dulic, recalling a similar battle he fought before in the old alleys, turns toward the minotaur and casts:

"Whelm!"