PDA

View Full Version : Altering the Psion Uncarnate into a Base Class (3.5)

Qwertystop
2011-07-27, 09:31 AM
Thread title pretty much says it all. I'm really intersted in the Psion Uncarnate, and was wondering what some good modifications would be to make it into a base class instead of a PrC. I was thinking possibly Wilder or Psychic Warrior power progression, and possibly keeping the level 10 ability as is, with the level 20 capstone being the ability to spend as much time as you want incorporeal or corporeal. Maybe also add a clause that if you are naturally incorporeal, it starts out with giving you the ability to become solid temporarially.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. Anyone interested in helping?

Garryl
2011-07-28, 02:15 AM
Since the existing Psion Uncarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm#uncarnate) essentially turns you into an Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) (complete with 4 lost manifester levels that a PC Unbodied would lose anyways), you might want to consider a Dread Necromancer-type deal where the Uncarnate gains the Unbodied racial abilities gradually over 20 levels until it has the full thing at level 20 (similar to how it is now, but maybe including the missing telepathy, Hide Mind, skill bonuses, some of the ability score bonuses, and possibly even the Monstrous Humanoid type). If so, the power list should be tailored towards Telepathy powers, or just use the Psion/Wilder + Telepath power list.

From there, I'd suggest one of two things. Either make it like a Psion or Wilder, exchanging their class features fro the gradual transformation (and probably giving a power progression somewhere between the two), or go the Dread Necromancer route and weaken it with a very limited power list (or even a fixed list of powers known plus a few Expanded Knowledge feats) and a few extra class features to go with the incorporeal telepath theme. Both options should work, although the fixed list thing doesn't feel like it fits as well with psionics (but that might just be because no one's ever done it before).