PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon XI: The Virtually Indestructible Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Mando Knight
2011-07-27, 10:26 AM
Pokémon XI: The Virtually Indestructible Thread

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/07/Lance_HGSS_Adventures.png
We've been waiting for you, trainer! We knew that you, with your skills, would eventually reach us here.

Pokémon Threads are hard to catch and train, but their powers are superior. There's no being clever with them. Read on, and maybe one day, You'll be one of the very (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZdzY9TGu1c)best (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RJeGlLobo).

These are friend codes (Partially out of date: If they are, post your new codes now and I'll fix them). For your friends. If you're not on here? It means you're not friendly. Also that for whatever reason they didn't get put here. If you're not here, just mention it whenever you can.
FRIEND CODES:
{table=head]Name|Diamond|Pearl|Platinum|HeartGold|SoulSilver|B lack|White
Legoshrimp|2923-1445-3340|X|X|X|1849-3954-2553|X|X
Kobold Bard|X|X|X|4168-8792-1683|X|X|X
Freako|X|X|1333-4517-6347|X|2966-0800-3851|X|X
Jimp|X|X|X|X|2407-7659-7056|X|X
tgva8889|X|X|3438-0598-0009|X|3052-0635-4414|X|3353-3706-1386
Mattarias, King.|X|X|X|3524-4231-3529|X|X|4770-6741-0740
Linkavitch|X|X|X|5027-8564-5267|X|X|X
SparkMandriller|2277-4598-3685|X|X|X|X|X|X
B-Man|X|X|X|X|5371-4488-1062|X|X
goldfly|X|X|X|0174-5615-7997|X|3782-8897-6594|3009-8301-5885
Deth Muncher|X|X|1162-2087-3138|X|X|X|X
Terry576:|0174-5674-2515|X|X|X|X|X|X
AtlanteanTroll|X|X|1505-6983-3009|X|1291-5054-9504|X|3911-6794-1526
master256|X|X|2450-2269-2301|4770-4806-9656|X|X|X
The-Mage-King|5369-7209-0920|X|X|X|X|X|4169-5014-1806
bue52|X|X|0088-3371-2579|0689-7808-4229|X|X|X
Geno9999|X|5328-7909-7435|X|X|1892-8459-0727|Owned|X
oxybe|X|X|X|4684-4678-9165|X|X|1162-9092-9501
Drascin|X|X|X|X|X|3525-1309-6530|X
Ryzouken|X|X|3782-2115-8275|X|X|4512-9802-0628|X
Deuxhero|X|X|X|X|3481-6327-5325|X|4727-7229-9821
FantasyFoxMan|X|X|X|1677-9053-6018|X|X|1377-6516-2321
CoffeeIncluded|X|X|X|X|X|X|0389-8063-2889
ShinyRocks|X|X|X|X|X|2064-8383-8632|X
Turalisj|X|X|X|X|X|4684-8033-0061|X
OracleofWuffing|X|X|X|X|X|4684-8355-8999|X
Crimson Angel|X|X|X|X|X|2494-4300-9144|X
Mando Knight|Owned|Owned|X|1806-4645-4773|X|X|1850-1765-8454
breakdownjason|X|X|X|X|X|1291-9831-7735|X
Thormag|X|X|X|X|X|1764-5885-4832|X[/table]

Related to the friend codes is the IRC. Use this channel when you want to trade with other people.

irc.quakenet.org/#pkmtrade

Also, the following members posses TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY LEGAL (cough) ways of getting you TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY LEGAL (cough) hacked Pokeymans.
Kobold-Bard
ryzouken
Hunter Noventa
master256
OracleofWuffing

The Last Thread: The Premier Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195469)

Helpful Links/Hints For Adventuring Ten Year Olds

Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/)
Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/)
Metalkid's Damage Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculatorrs/Damage.aspx)
Metalkid's IV Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx)
Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml)
Pokémon Online (http://www.pokemon-online.eu/) (for battles over the internets when you don't want to bother training things by hand)

Breeding For Dummies:

So, you're tired of navigating a Pokemon thread where everyone uses fancy words and stuff? Well no worries! Here's a guide on... BREEDING FOR DUMMIES!

One of the first things to remember in breeding is that there are natures that help and ones that hinder. For instance, a Special Attacker such as Mewtwo would be hindered by an Adamant nature, but helped in his stat growth by a Modest nature. To improve your chances for getting a particular Nature in a child Pokémon, use at least one parent with the Nature you want, and give it the Everstone.

Brilliant Spreadsheet for Growth (http://pokemon.marriland.com/statcalc_dp.php).

Some IVs are randomly inherited from the parents. You can lock in a maximum of one IV by giving a parent the corresponding Power training item (Power Bracer for Attack, Power Lens for Special Attack, and so forth). Use Flat Battles to determine the IVs of a hatched Pokémon, or if you only care about the highest IV and the sum of all of its IVs, you can take it to a guy who's in the lobby of either the Battle Tower or the Battle Subway, depending on your game. You're looking for them to judge it Relatively Superior overall and Can't Be Better in its best stat.

The third main thing with breeding is Egg Moves. Egg moves are moves the parent has, and passes down to a child. For instance, in my breeding of Chimchar, the egg moves are Grass Knot and Swords Dance, which are passed down to the child who gets said moves from the start. In order to pass on most Egg Moves, the father must know the move (Genderless Pokémon never learn Egg Moves). These include all of the moves that are listed as the child Pokémon's Egg Moves in a move list chart, as well as any compatible TMs or HMs. You can also pass on moves that the child would learn by level-up that aren't in those two lists--for these, both parents must know the move.

Dr. Strangemon or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Min-Max
Don't feel the need to bother with this stuff unless you're playing against humans or at the Battle Frontier. You shouldn't need it for most of the game, and it can be kind of a pain.

Individual Values
Every Pokémon species has its own base stats, as you probably know. Aerodactyl are very fast but have weak defenses, Blissey have huge amounts of HP, Luvdisc are terrible at everything but speed, and so on. But, in addition to the normal stat allocation, every Pokemon gets a bonus of 0-31 points applied to each stat. So a level 100 Tyranitar could have an attack stat of 273, or it could have a attack of 304. That bonus is the IV.
A Pokémon has its IVs generated the moment you meet it, or accept its egg, and there's no way to change them. You're stuck with what you've got. However, you can influence them a little, if you're willing to breed. Bred Pokémon don't randomly generate all their IVs, they inherit up to 3 from their parents. Still doesn't help that much, especially if the parents have bad IVs, but what can you do? Typically you just end up hatching like a billion eggs until you get a good one.

Effort Values
Every time you win a fight, your Pokémon get experience, but that's not all they get. Every Pokémon also gives out effort points. For every 4 effort points in a particular stat, your Pokémon gains 1 point in it. So if that Tyranitar from earlier with 304 attack had 4 attack EVs, his actual attack would be 305. If he had 252 attack EVs, it'd be 367. Sounds handy, but there are limits. You can't have more than 255 points in a single stat, and you can't have more than 510 EVs in total.

You'll see a lot of Pokémon with 252 attack/special attack EVs, 252 speed, and 4 HP, but there are a lot of ways to configure them. Defensive Pokémon will obviously focus on different things, Pokémon which use both physical and special attacks will need to split EVs between them or possibly sacrifice speed, and so on.

It's a tremendous pain to work out what EVs your Pokémon has, so you'll likely want to start with a Pokémon that you freshly hatched and work from there, though you don't have to. There are 6 berries that reduce EVs in a single stat each, so you can use those to reset your Pokémon and start from scratch. After that, just keep a careful record of what you fight, and only take down Pokémon that you know give you the EVs you want.

EV training takes a while, but there are a few ways you can speed it up. The first is an astonishingly rare status condition called Pokérus. Any Pokémon with Pokérus gets double EVs from fights, and will spread the Pokérus to any Pokémon in your party for the first 72 hours after it catches it. After those 72 hours it stops being contagious, but still gets double EVs. Pokérus has something like 1/20000 chance to appear on wild Pokemon, but with the magic of the internet I'm sure you can obtain it.

The second way to speed up EV training is through Power Items. If a Pokémon is holding the right item, they get bonus EVs from every fight. For example, a Pokémon holding a Power Lens will get 4 special attack EVs. A Pokémon holding a Power Anklet will get 4 speed EVs. A Pokémon holding a Macho Brace will just get double the EVs of whatever they're fighting. These bonuses are doubled if you have Pokérus.

The third way to speed up EVs is through vitamins. Each vitamin given to a Pokémon gives them +10 EVs in a certain stat, up to a limit of 100. 1 protein gives 10 attack EVs, 10 give 100. These unfortunately aren't doubled by Pokérus or items, so you'll have to pay for the full amount. Luckily money is easy to come by in these games.

Just as an example, I'll show how I EV'd my Gengar.
First, I gave him 10 calcium, and 10 carbos, so 100 special attack and 100 speed already.
After that, I gave him Pokérus and a lucky egg, got him to meet a Floatzel (2 speed EVs, doubled to 4 because of Pokérus), and then sent out my Weezing to explode on it so Gengar could get all the experience, for a higher level and 100 special attack, 104 speed.
After that, I gave him a Power Lens, flew over to the Old Chateau, and killed 15 Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 from the lens, doubled to 10 from Pokérus) for 150 special attack EVs, bringing my total to 250 special attack, 104 speed.
After that I equipped a power anklet and killed one more Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 speed from the anklet, doubled to 2 and 8 from Pokérus), meaning Gengar had 252 attack, and 112 speed.
Leaving the anklet equipped, I flew to Route 201, and killed 14 Starly (1 speed from Starly, 4 from the anklet, meaning 10 speed per starly thanks to Pokérus), for a total of 252 attack, 252 speed.
All that was left after that was to kill a Bidoof with a Power Weight (1 HP from Bidoof, 4 from the Weight, 10 thanks to Pokerus, although I only gained 6 points because I hit the EV cap), leaving my Gengar with 252 special attack EVs, 252 Speed, and 4 HP, just how I wanted him.
Roughly an hour's work, and one Pokemon down.
tl;dr: The simplified version of EVs/IVs - EVs are gained by fighting other Pokémon. They vary by the Pokémon defeated. They increase your stats for every 4 gained. IVs are inherent to a Pokémon. They increase stats for every point possessed, and range from 0 to 31. EVs have to be manually tracked or else removed entirely with certain berries. IVs can be checked by knowing the EVs of a Pokémon and then plugging its stats into an IV calculator. The higher the Pokémon's level, the more accurate; level 100 wifi battles provide maximum accuracy.

Now, you might ask, "Mando Knight, you sexy-handsome rogue you, how do you get those accented e's?" The answer is simple. Dragons. On a PC, change your keyboard layout to US-International, and press 'e. For some versions of Windows, if you don't want the US-International keyboard on all the time, you can also have it switch between different registered keyboards with a press of Ctrl+Shift. (Alt+Shift lets you switch languages, in case you need to type a bunch of characters like these: ασδφγηξκλ)

CoffeeIncluded
2011-07-27, 12:35 PM
Hey, uh, what EV spread would you recommend for a Chandelure and a Hydreigon, both modest-natured? Am I correct in thinking a 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe spread?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-27, 12:40 PM
Huh, nice to see these threads still living on, even though I've since stopped paying attention. And I caught this one before there was way too much to catch up on, maybe I'll be able to follow them again! :smallsmile:

All I really have to say about Pokémon is that I, when I was in Europe, managed to pick up a Spanish copy of Pokémon Red (when I was in Austria :smallconfused:). I'm currently Nuzlocking it and practicing my Spanish; it's a win-win! :smallbiggrin:

d13
2011-07-27, 03:26 PM
*Throws Poké Ball at new thread*

Yay, new thread!

I'll post my FCs when I get home~

Deth Muncher
2011-07-27, 04:12 PM
That first post makes all of my first posts weep manly tears.

arguskos
2011-07-27, 10:43 PM
This thread wins at everything forever, yes sir it does. Well played, Mando, well played.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-28, 12:34 AM
Uh, might as well add me to the list of people that can get you PERFECTLY LEGITAMTE pokemon nowadays. I think we all know about my Battle Subway teams.

Hey, uh, what EV spread would you recommend for a Chandelure and a Hydreigon, both modest-natured? Am I correct in thinking a 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe spread?
Only thing I can think of is that you might want to run less speed for ever so slightly more HP, but I'm not the kind of person that knows speed tiers off the top of my head, so even then, I'd go with 252 speed.

In the GB2 Grand Rocket vein from last thread, I'm finally on the post game. :smallsigh: Deck restrictions need to die. Seriously. There are no good Dark pokemon to run in a Rain Dance deck, and there's only two good legendary cards, one of which is only good in a Fire deck. :smallyuk: By the way, these guys love Mewtwo.

EifieFlare
2011-07-28, 12:37 AM
I'd like to be added to the TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY LEGAL list too, please. Won't be open for trades until I get back home though, so I'm going to be unfriendly for a bit longer.

Starwulf
2011-07-28, 02:07 AM
Well, I got my first(and maybe last for a while) taste of Battle Tower in the battle frontier in Soulsilver last night. Did fine all the way up till the "Brain" challenged me >< I still nearly won, but he did beat me, which sucks. I think I'm going to put pokemon up for a while and start in on Disgaea for my PSP for a bit though, been wanting to give that a shot. I'll still be following here in the thread though! :)

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 02:13 AM
Yeah, your set for Modest Chandelure is right, though you probably wanna Choice that one. Otherwise, you could run a bit more HP, or I think some run more Special Defense, not sure. Don't know about Hydreigon, haven't done any research on that one.

Mc. Lovin'
2011-07-28, 04:58 AM
Can we get this (http://www.pokemon-online.eu/)mentioned in the OP? It's a good way for people who feel daunted about the whole "breeding and eving before you can even battle" part of pokemon to be able to join in! Appart from having THE worst community I've ever seen in a game, it's really fun! Does anyone have an account on it?

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 05:04 AM
I loved using simulators. I wouldn't be opposed to running a Pokemon Online tournament on these boards sometime.

Mando Knight
2011-07-28, 06:53 AM
Yeah, your set for Modest Chandelure is right, though you probably wanna Choice that one. Otherwise, you could run a bit more HP, or I think some run more Special Defense, not sure. Don't know about Hydreigon, haven't done any research on that one.
Hydreigon is similar to Chandelure stat-wise, just better with Attack, Speed, and defenses in exchange for dropping its SpAtk 20 points.

Can we get this (http://www.pokemon-online.eu/)mentioned in the OP? It's a good way for people who feel daunted about the whole "breeding and eving before you can even battle" part of pokemon to be able to join in! Appart from having THE worst community I've ever seen in a game, it's really fun! Does anyone have an account on it?
Yeah, I'll add it to the OP.

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 07:33 AM
Well, most people run Mix Hydreigon as far as I knew. I mean, Dragons are good at mixed.

Qwertystop
2011-07-28, 10:07 AM
I didn't have any problems with IR-GTS sending, but then I've only used it for one batch of mons, and that was a while ago. What exactly is the error, though? More specifics help.
Well, it occasionally connects and sends the pokemon just fine, but most of the time my DS goes straight to what I think is the normal GTS, based on the fact that the computer doesn't say "Connection Established". Either way the settings are exactly the same.

I've noticed that the IP the program tells me to set my DNS to is not the same as the computer's IP (according to whatismyip.com), but when I set it to that, it never works.

Mc. Lovin'
2011-07-28, 12:07 PM
I loved using simulators. I wouldn't be opposed to running a Pokemon Online tournament on these boards sometime.

Please do! I'd love to be able to compete against you guys!!

It would be nice to play against people who don't quit ALL THE TIME (unless they're winning). I had a guy quit on me turn one because my Gyarados got the taunt off on him. TURN ONE :smallannoyed:

breakdownjason
2011-07-28, 01:59 PM
Hey, quick question... Would anyone here be willing to set up a trade for a mudkip and possibly a DW vulpix? I've been thinking of setting up a sun team, but alas DW is not something that I've had much luck with.

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 05:55 PM
Is Vulpix even released on DW yet? Is Poliwag even released on DW yet?

If we get enough interest, I'd be willing to set up a tournament. I have some experience running tournaments, so we could definitely pull it off. Also if anyone wants to provide prize support (the best I could offer is some decent 'mons as a result of my breeding exploits) that'd be cool too, but that's totally not necessary.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-28, 06:38 PM
Is Vulpix even released on DW yet? Is Poliwag even released on DW yet?
As far as I know, Global Dreamworld had Vulpix and Poliwag when it launched. They're both in Windswept Forest, and require 10,000 Dream Points.

I mean, I have the Dream Points, but I stopped playing it a long time ago because... Well... Effort.

And also I now have a deep-rooted hatred for ice cream, I mean really, never in my wildest dreams did I even imagine that would be possible.

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 06:47 PM
Yeah, getting good at the games is so totally not worth my time and effort, despite having already done it. I do appreciate that I've gotten a ton of nice Pokemon though. God, 10,000 Points required... I don't think I have that many yet. Might be a while before I get all the Pokemon I want in the Dream World...

ScionoftheVoid
2011-07-28, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the link to the pokemon online thing, I might participate in things now. Even if I am that weird guy with the interesting, but usually less effective, ideas which catch everyone by surprise even though he's shown them ahead of time.

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 08:00 PM
Hey, playing the Rogue strategy is hilarious.

Qwertystop
2011-07-28, 08:52 PM
Hey, playing the Rogue strategy is hilarious.

What strategy is that?

Mando Knight
2011-07-28, 08:59 PM
And also I now have a deep-rooted hatred for ice cream, I mean really, never in my wildest dreams did I even imagine that would be possible.

You can just ignore requests to scoop ice cream, though.

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-28, 09:34 PM
You can just ignore requests to scoop ice cream, though.
I don't know what the system is, but it seemed to me that when I did this, I would frequently fall short of my 500+ daily goal. Like refusing a minigame depleted from the amount of minigames you could play in total, but then again that's just feel with no actual studying about it. Doesn't help when you're aiming for pokemon that exclusively Ice Cream Scoop, though.

---

"Oh excuse me good sir, would you please donate a berry and scoop some ice cream for me? Pretty please? I'm oh so lonely."
"Why sure! Here we go!"
"Okay, well, it would be nice if you could use all three of those flavors, and also- um... I think that scoop is awful big, don't you?"
"Nope! Gonna make it bigger!"
"Well, um, I guess that's okay, if you want, but I really would like smaller scoops than that one..."
"Wow, really, cool!"
"Er, yes, I mean, um, that's- that's enough right now."
"Naw, you need more ice cream!"
"Well, don't you think you could, uh, switch to another flavor right now? They all have varying degrees of stickiness and scoopiness..."
"Nope, I'm good with just this one."
"But but but it'd be... It'd be lots of fun if you-"
"Just a second, this one's at max size!" PLOP!
"Oh. Um... Okay, if you could just-"
"Now to make myself a sandwich or something for the rest of the minute and a half!"
"Um... Well... I guess it's... okay."

YOU BEFRIENDED A POKEMON!

tgva8889
2011-07-28, 10:18 PM
What strategy is that?

"Rogue" strategies generally refer to unexpected or underutilized strategies. Rather than playing with all the stock Pokemon sets or setups, changing them up can give you surprise advantage when your opponent expects you to have moves you don't have or doesn't expect your Hidden Power to be whatever type it is. It's taking advantage of your opponent's unpreparedness, like a Rogue uses Sneak Attack to take advantage of Flat-Footed opponents.

Ryuho Tsugu
2011-07-28, 10:35 PM
Well, it occasionally connects and sends the pokemon just fine, but most of the time my DS goes straight to what I think is the normal GTS, based on the fact that the computer doesn't say "Connection Established". Either way the settings are exactly the same.

Have you tried other people's public spoofed GTS servers, like that Pokemon Selector or whatever it was? If you can get consistant results from something like that, then your problem's likely with your computer environment. I'm guessing something's interfering with the middleman attack GTS spoofers make, but I wouldn't know what.

I've noticed that the IP the program tells me to set my DNS to is not the same as the computer's IP (according to whatismyip.com), but when I set it to that, it never works.

If you're running IR-GTS just on your local network, the address you need to use for your DNS is your IP on the LAN, not the public WAN address sites like whatismyip give you.

The-Mage-King
2011-07-28, 10:47 PM
Don't mind this, just the standard new thread post.

tgva8889
2011-07-29, 02:28 AM
Question: What Pokemon should I use for my semi-quick Pokemon Black run? So far I have only Sawk. Any other Pokemon suggested will be used, so long as it is easily obtainable before fighting the Elite 4.

Mando Knight
2011-07-29, 08:27 AM
Haxorus. It is an axe-headed dragon of destruction.

enderlord99
2011-07-29, 09:14 AM
Hey! You know what's harder than a "one rattata run?"
a "three worms super-run: getting all 7 gold symbols at the Battle Frontier and beating Steven at Meteor Falls using only Weedle, Caterpie, and Wurmple (one of each)(emerald only challenge)

breakdownjason
2011-07-29, 09:19 AM
Question: What Pokemon should I use for my semi-quick Pokemon Black run? So far I have only Sawk. Any other Pokemon suggested will be used, so long as it is easily obtainable before fighting the Elite 4.

Druddigon! He doesnt get nearly e.ough love and I actually swept gym 8 with mine.

Haxorus used Dragon Dance!
Druddigon used Dragon Claw!
Its super effective!
Haxorus fainted!

I did this to EVERY enemy in the gym. The A.I. is not good with tactics...:smallamused:

Mando Knight
2011-07-29, 09:25 AM
Hey! You know what's harder than a "one rattata run?"
a "three worms super-run: getting all 7 gold symbols at the Battle Frontier and beating Steven at Meteor Falls using only Weedle, Caterpie, and Wurmple (one of each)(emerald only challenge)Not possible without evolving them. Or are you proposing that Tackle, String Shot, and Poison Sting can defeat foes like Steelix, Metagross, and Latios?

Goldfly
2011-07-29, 09:33 AM
Haxorus. It is an axe-headed dragon of destruction.

I second this statement. Haxorus is definitely one of the best Pokemon I've used in my playthroughs.

I'm also going to recommend Galvantula, solely because it's awesome.

enderlord99
2011-07-29, 09:33 AM
Not possible without evolving them. Or are you proposing that Tackle, String Shot, and Poison Sting can defeat foes like Steelix, Metagross, and Latios?

...maybe eventually...

I TOLD YOU IT WAS HARD!

:smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2011-07-29, 09:47 AM
...maybe eventually...

I TOLD YOU IT WAS HARD!

:smalltongue:

Can you do it without using items? Steelix and Latios are found in Gold-rank Battle Frontier teams. Steelix is immune to Poison Sting and doesn't really care about String Shot, and Latios will just murder the bugs.

enderlord99
2011-07-29, 09:51 AM
Can you do it without using items? Steelix and Latios are found in Gold-rank Battle Frontier teams. Steelix is immune to Poison Sting and doesn't really care about String Shot, and Latios will just murder the bugs.

Look, I'm not going to try it. It might and might not be physically possible, but it's an idea for uber-masters who get bored when trying "One rattata runs" because, to them, they have become easy.

EDIT: You can might be able to also do a three worm run that is NOT a super-run. That would just be past Wallace in emerald or Steven in Ruby and Sapphire.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-29, 10:55 AM
Look, I'm not going to try it. It might and might not be physically possible, but it's an idea for uber-masters who get bored when trying "One rattata runs" because, to them, they have become easy.

Whatever happened to good, old-fashioned Nuzlocke runs?

enderlord99
2011-07-29, 11:09 AM
Whatever happened to good, old-fashioned Nuzlocke runs?

This might actually be HARDER than Nuzlocke.

EifieFlare
2011-07-29, 11:52 AM

There's not much fun in a challenge if it's not even possible without absolutely massive amounts of time (which still might not be enough). With those conditions, I don't see how you could get past the 1st gym, let alone the rest of the game, unless all you did was grind for hours on end on whatever is outside of Rustboro. I'm assuming you can't evolve either, which just makes it infinitely more tedious.

By the time you get past Roxanne, the game would be a stomp for a short while, since you'd be ridiculously overleveled then. That is until Wattson shows up, AKA "Magnemite says hi." Cue more grinding, etc.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-07-29, 12:06 PM
By the time you get past Roxanne, the game would be a stomp for a short while, since you'd be ridiculously overleveled then. That is until Wattson shows up

Isn't that how Emerald normally works? Happens to me.

enderlord99
2011-07-29, 12:15 PM
Isn't that how Emerald normally works? Happens to me.

Me too. I mean, my variant might make it more extreme, but not necessarily.

d13
2011-07-29, 01:16 PM

Also, Darmanitan.

Get yourself a ****load of potions and such, and between Flare Blitz and Rock Tomb (or anything, actually, for those pesky flash-firers), everything past the 5th gym is toast. Literally.

Qwertystop
2011-07-29, 01:38 PM
Have you tried other people's public spoofed GTS servers, like that Pokemon Selector or whatever it was? If you can get consistant results from something like that, then your problem's likely with your computer environment. I'm guessing something's interfering with the middleman attack GTS spoofers make, but I wouldn't know what.

Good idea. Does anyone know of one of those that allows transfer of your own .pkm files instead of preselected ones?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-29, 08:42 PM

Well of course it is, it's downright impossible (the super run, at least. Otherwise it's just mind-numbingly difficult to the point where you might as well call it impossible). But really, when did Nuzlocke runs, with the occasional minor variation (no buying items, Set battle mode, no in-battle healing) stop being enough for those people who wanted extra difficulty?

enderlord99
2011-07-29, 09:17 PM
Well of course it is, it's downright impossible (the super run, at least. Otherwise it's just mind-numbingly difficult to the point where you might as well call it impossible). But really, when did Nuzlocke runs, with the occasional minor variation (no buying items, Set battle mode, no in-battle healing) stop being enough for those people who wanted extra difficulty?

Well... Uhhh... :smallredface:

boj0
2011-07-29, 10:32 PM
Posting in this thread and also seconding Darmanitan

High Attack? Check
Sheer Force? Check
Learns Flare Blitz on level up? Check

My in game team has my Adamant Sheer Force Darmaitan at level 100 with everyone else around the 40-50 range, he just solos that many things by himself.

tgva8889
2011-07-30, 02:55 AM
So the team is:
Sawk (yay don't have to evolve this)
Axew -> Fraxure -> Haxorus (I've wanted to use this guy so awesome)
Joltik -> Gavantula (I've also wanted to use this guy)
Darumaka - > Darmanitan (See above)
Snivy -> Servine -> Serperior (By process of elimination, I already did an Oshawott run and both Fire and Fighting are already covered)

So I need a Water-type and a Flying-type... so I guess I'm stuck with the Ducklett -> Swanna line?

Sure. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2011-07-30, 08:37 AM
You're not stuck with Swanna... it's a fairly well-balanced Pokémon. It's not Hydreigon or Dragonite (which can sub in for Water/Flying for most HM purposes), and its stats are a little lacking for Super Subway teams, but it's still serviceable for most of the game.

tgva8889
2011-07-30, 08:41 AM
Well I kind of am in that I can't choose anything else, but it's not "stuck" as in "well crap guess I have to use this awful team" like I was for part of my Black run. My friend made me use Pidove and Vanillite (evolved). That was fun.

Qwertystop
2011-07-30, 10:07 AM
Okay, turns out it was my home internet connection that was making the transfer not work. I know that because I am now on a trip to Shelter Island, and the internet here transferred them fine. Unfortunately, my cellphone camera is too blurry to capture pictures of the stats.

Partof1
2011-07-30, 02:51 PM
Ugh, bloody nuzlocke. I've bent the rules a couple times, but I've always stayed true to the catching rules, and only healed for one TPK ambush by Eusine's stupid Electrode, and when level grinding, so I can be less focused. But man, I wish my rival hadn't killed my Magneton just before the E4. Grinding up that gift Dratini is so lame. I'm glad I gave my rival a board inapropriate name.

Capt. Ido Nos
2011-07-31, 12:20 AM
So I swore that I would never get into the crazy world of EVs and IVs when I first heard about it, and saw how many man hours my friends put into some of their mons.

Then I lucked my way into a perfect Attack/Speed ditto, and now I'm pretty sure I've paid for every single member of the Day Care Guy's family to attend college several times over >_>;;

That being said, it's actually a lot of fun planning everything out, and this whole different level of metagaming has put the spark back into this game that I lost years back.

I so dearly love my obnoxiously fast Aggron :')

tgva8889
2011-07-31, 01:53 AM
Then I lucked my way into a perfect Attack/Speed ditto, and now I'm pretty sure I've paid for every single member of the Day Care Guy's family to attend college several times over >_>;;

Yeah, normally I'd be concerned about destroying the market in these situations, but hey, if those sports players have enough expendable income that they can give 13,000 to me multiple times a week, I'm not complaining.

Capt. Ido Nos
2011-07-31, 02:28 PM
Yeah, normally I'd be concerned about destroying the market in these situations, but hey, if those sports players have enough expendable income that they can give 13,000 to me multiple times a week, I'm not complaining.

"Top market analysts have come to the startling and disturbing conclusion that our entire world's economy rests on the shoulders of a single 10 year old boy who seems to be desperately working to attain a very specific specimen of what can only be described as a turtle monster."

tgva8889
2011-07-31, 02:44 PM
Applicable to this situation (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=041811).

Geno9999
2011-07-31, 02:44 PM
"Top market analysts have come to the startling and disturbing conclusion that our entire world's economy rests on the shoulders of a single 10 year old boy who seems to be desperately working to attain a very specific specimen of what can only be described as a turtle monster."
"In unrelated news, there has been an mass outbreak of Torkoal on Route 34. Pokemon Professors are baffled at the explosion of this Hoenn native species, and are currently researching the possible ecological impact on the surrounding area. This concludes the News Flash Bulletin."

Partof1
2011-07-31, 03:41 PM
Man, I wish I coulda gotten a shiny stone before the E4. Togekiss is awesome! Mine just tanked through Lt. Surge's gym, and while she didn't fight everything, she stayed in through the whole double battle and Aura Sphered a Magnemite and Magneton.

dragonsamurai77
2011-07-31, 04:27 PM
I was browsing Bulbapedia, when I found this under Tweaking (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tweaking):

Arceus is possible to obtain through this glitch, although a 100% safe method of doing this has not yet been found.

I'm not too worried about my Diamond, so I really want to try this, but it doesn't say how, and Google wasn't very helpful. Anyone know?

EifieFlare
2011-07-31, 05:04 PM
Simply put, the use of Tweaking makes it possible for you to walk into areas where you normally couldn't (buildings, landscape) because they haven't loaded properly yet. By exploiting this freedom of movement, you can maneuver yourself to places where you normally couldn't, since you can now move your player around the coordinate planes with no obstacles in the way.

Until you open a menu, the world will basically appear as a black void where you can pretty much freely wander. Opening the menu will return the map to its regular visible condition. So, all you have to do is correctly wander to your target location while nothing is there to stop you, and then restore the display back to normal to continue gaming. I haven't actually done this myself to travel places, mind you, but I think those are the basics. Actually getting places through proper step counting sounds like a major pain.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-07-31, 07:59 PM
Yay, posting in a new thread. :smallsmile:

So, here's something I remember reading that I thought was kinda stupid. In an article with GameInformer I read a long time back, there was an interview with some kid who won a bunch of Pokémon tournaments or something, I don't exactly remember the details. What I do, remember, however, is that this kid specifically mentions in the interview that his favorite Pokémon is Purugly, and that he thinks "it'd be cool if Nintendo made an evolution for Purugly", specifically in the form of a Ground/Flying type, or something to that effect.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Purugly as much as the next guy, but that just seems like really, really stupid idea to me. :smallannoyed:

OracleofWuffing
2011-07-31, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with you. I was so excited to see Glameow, a black cat pokemon that was quirky but not over-the-top so, and then they made it evolve into a pokemon that is ugly on purpose. Everyone knows that they should have made Glameow have an alternate evolution into a Water/Fire or Flying/Fighting type and a million Attack.

boj0
2011-07-31, 11:20 PM
I remember reading that issue, something about how he bred a new Poke for his team in like two hours, and I thought to myself, "either this kid is really lucky or he really didn't care about stats all that much."

tgva8889
2011-08-01, 03:42 AM
I remember reading that issue, something about how he bred a new Poke for his team in like two hours, and I thought to myself, "either this kid is really lucky or he really didn't care about stats all that much."

He could have a Perfect Ditto.

PhantomFox
2011-08-01, 10:02 AM
Okay, so I got the itch for a Pokemon game, after having watched an LP or two, and so I picked up my first Pokemon game. (Pokemon White) Having some perfectionist tendencies, I'm trying to educate myself of the proper way to build teams and such. I know a lot about the mechanics and some of the team roles, but I'm not exactly sure how to use them right. So...

Which is most important for choosing a team? Type coverage or team roles? What combinations work well?

I just finished the 6th gym, and my team is as follows. I think I have decent type coverage, but I'm wondering if I'm missing an important role for a team member to fill. I have a couple good mixed attackers, but no real special sweeper. But do I really need one right now? I'm pretty sure I can finish the game, no problem, but I want to do things the best way I can. (Or accidentally use the Gen V version of a Farfetch)
Samurott
Darmanitan
Zebstrika
Throh
Archeops
Cofagrigus

breakdownjason
2011-08-01, 11:09 AM
Samurott
Darmanitan
Zebstrika
Throh
Archeops
Cofagrigus

For a regular playthrough, all you really need is a team of sweepers. Team roles and specific sets dont really come into play until you hit the battle subway or competetive battling later on. You may want a dragon or ice user for gym 8 though...

tgva8889
2011-08-01, 01:09 PM
Yeah, you basically only need powerful attackers. Sweepers are good, though sometimes it's nice to have a big bulky guy like Reuniclus. You will be focused on just attacking stuff to death, though, making some Pokemon much better than others. Type coverage is also super-important.

Your team looks like it's good. You shouldn't have too many problems.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-08-01, 05:44 PM
So, here's something I remember reading that I thought was kinda stupid. In an article with GameInformer I read a long time back, there was an interview with some kid who won a bunch of Pokémon tournaments or something, I don't exactly remember the details. What I do, remember, however, is that this kid specifically mentions in the interview that his favorite Pokémon is Purugly, and that he thinks "it'd be cool if Nintendo made an evolution for Purugly", specifically in the form of a Ground/Flying type, or something to that effect.

I remember that article. He said you should be able to choose the gender of the Pokémon you breed, which makes no sense at all logic-wise :smallconfused:

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-01, 06:07 PM
Given that the other example desire was a Ground/Flying Purugly evolution, I'm going to guess his desires are less logically founded and more "Because that's the way I want it" founded. I can think of a few communities that would enjoy not having to breed ten Eevees to get that one female.

You know, this kind of reminds me... Okay, this is AGES ago, but one of the commercials on a channel I watched was about the Pokemon Trading Card game, and they threw the whole "OH MAN YOU'RE AWESOME YOU WON THE TOURNAMENT HOW DID YOU DO IT!?" question, and the response was along the lines of "When he threw out his Beedrill, I knew I could school it with my Charizard," complete with a dramatization of him evolving his Charmeleon in to Charizard and his opponent crying.

... Except... Base set Charmeleon would have KO'd Beedrill in one hit. The evolution was completely unnecessary, he had the energy to pull off flamethrower.

Partof1
2011-08-01, 06:12 PM
Eh, if I had the choice, I'd use Charizard too over Charmeleon :P

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-01, 06:35 PM
Granted, there's no such thing as enuff dakka, too much overkill, or going beyond the limits, but it's still very strange that the so called winning play was just showboa- oh yeah, they were trying to get more people interested in the game. Nevermind! :smallbiggrin:

Qwertystop
2011-08-01, 07:33 PM
What's the thread title a reference to?

Mando Knight
2011-08-01, 07:48 PM
What's the thread title a reference to?
It's derived from Lance's intro speech in Gen I and the Gen III remakes.

boj0
2011-08-01, 08:27 PM
*Cough*Ice types*Cough*

EDIT: In other dragon related-news; Moxie Salamence. I have a BP Ninjask lead, bring out a Sally with +2 Attack/Speed, and watch that quickly climb to +6 as my opponent comes to the sad realization that I'm about to sweep him under the rug.

tgva8889
2011-08-01, 09:04 PM
Somehow Moxie on Salamance just seems unnecessary.

ALSO is it sad that my mono-Ice type was more useful in the Ice Gym than the Dragon Gym?

AtlanteanTroll
2011-08-01, 10:23 PM
Somehow Moxie on Salamance just seems unnecessary.
I agree. Intimidate is beast enough.

ALSO is it sad that my mono-Ice type was more useful in the Ice Gym than the Dragon Gym?
No, Vanilluxe is just that bad. :smalltongue:

FINALLY found my DS. My dad put it ... Well, in a place I can't find it. When I get back from vacation, I really need to get cracking on my team. So who's better, Haxorus or Hydreigon (or, I guess, TR Druddigon)?

Partof1
2011-08-01, 11:57 PM
Ahaha! I caught Latios legitimately in my nuzlocke run! First guy I ran into south of pallet

James Lu
2011-08-02, 12:26 AM
How should I go about training my Giratina, Dialga and Palkia? I have absolutely NO IDEA how to train them :S I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to IVs and EVs...

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-02, 10:42 AM
How should I go about training my Giratina, Dialga and Palkia? I have absolutely NO IDEA how to train them :S I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to IVs and EVs...

For Giratina and Dialga, it depends on how you want to use them, but for Palkia, max SpAtk and Speed. If you're not sure how to do it, ask.

As for tweaking, I'm aware of the general concept, I just can't find the specific way to find Arceus with it, and was just really hoping someone knew by any chance.

ShinyRocks
2011-08-02, 11:21 AM
Man, I wish I coulda gotten a shiny stone before the E4. Togekiss is awesome! Mine just tanked through Lt. Surge's gym, and while she didn't fight everything, she stayed in through the whole double battle and Aura Sphered a Magnemite and Magneton.

In HeartGold, when I could still be bothered, my Choice Specs Togekiss with Aura Sphere, Air Slash, Water Pulse and Psychic tore apart the Battle Hall. OHKOs against Grass, Bug, Ground, Dark, Steel, Normal, Rock, Fighting, Ice and Poison and Serene Grace Air Slash just flinched everything else to death, although a STAB Choice Specs Air Slash can OHKO a lot of things even without a type bonus. I almost certainly could have got a slightly better type coverage with different moves, but didn't really need to. I love Togekiss. I still need to get a Togepi in White.

Speaking of White, after taking a break from it, I'm thinking of going back and building my final team for all the post-game stuff, which I haven't done really. But I lost the chart where I listed all the EVs I'd done for my Mons, and as I've bred them already and they're great (Adamant 31 Atk Kangaskhan, Adamant 31 Atk Gyarados, a ridiculous outstanding potential (female) Oshawott with no IVs below 27...) so I'm bugging.

Serves me right for not making a spreadsheet.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-02, 03:13 PM
FINALLY found my DS. My dad put it ... Well, in a place I can't find it. When I get back from vacation, I really need to get cracking on my team. So who's better, Haxorus or Hydreigon (or, I guess, TR Druddigon)?

Nice! Are you speaking competitively? I think they're both really good, for different purposes. But I don't know.

Mando Knight
2011-08-02, 06:56 PM
So who's better, Haxorus or Hydreigon (or, I guess, TR Druddigon)?
Haxorus is a physical powerhouse (including Mold Breaker to ignore Levitation or other such nonsense), but relatively fragile. Hydreigon is primarily Special-based and more defensive than Haxorus, as well as being faster by the smallest margin. (EVs and IVs will determine which one is faster)

Druddigon is weaker than either one. Though its abilities are useful, its stats come off as a poor man's Dragonite.

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-02, 07:41 PM
Druddigon is weaker than either one. Though its abilities are useful, its stats come off as a poor man's Dragonite.
Trick Room Druddigon. It's a poor man's sped-up Dragonite. But since it's a Trick Room pokemon, I'd go Haxorus because if you're going to have a glass cannon, you might as well go all the way. Though I prefer Hydreigon in the looks department.:smalltongue:

-

Okay, so here we go... I believe in the last topic, I threw out the idea of having a team that carries weather-enhanced attacks but doesn't actually change the weather, relying on my opponent to provide weather for me. Sitting down and actually trying to plan it out (without actually bothering to read who the threats are in B/W), here's what I'm coming up with.

Team: This Isn't Going to Work Because This is a Horrible Idea Team!

Dragonite
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Surf/Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse/Dragon Tail
Big guy to take advantage of Rain conditions. Dragon Pulse feels where I'm leaning to, but Tail can Pseudo-haze. Flamethrower sucks in rain, but I don't think Surf is reliable because Rain Dance teams run water pokemon.

Snorlax
@Leftovers
-Heavy Slam
-Return
-Rock Slide
-Blizzard
Switches in on Ice Types versus Dragonite, switches out on Fighting types versus Dragonite. Handles Hail/Sandstorm, and hits Ice and Rock types well.

Moltres
-SolarBeam
-Air Slash/Pluck
-Flamethrower
-Agility/Roost
Takes advantage of Sunny Day. Air Slash for better stat workings, but Pluck messes around with berries people like to carry. Leaning towards Agility, I don't think Moltres can pull off Roost.

Excadrill
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Shadow Claw
-Swords Dance
Switches in on electric/rock versus Moltres, switches to Moltres on fighting and grass. Clears entry hazards, works in Sandstorm. Shadow Claw to attack ghost types trying to prevent Rapid Spin.

Ludicolo
-Focus Blast
-Energy Ball
-Surf
-Ice Beam
I am basically carrying this guy because I know Swift Swim Kingdra will tear Dragonite apart. Since Rain is presumed to be in effect, I've picked Energy Ball over Solarbeam and Ice Beam over Blizzard, but maybe I can switch at least Ice Beam out to be useful in two weather conditions. Focus Blast because Dark types are beginning to wall-ish me here.

Rotom Refrigerator
-Volt Switch
-Blizzard
-Light Screen
-Reflect
Pseudo BoltBeam, sets up barriers, not harmed by Hail... But doesn't do much in hail. :smallfrown: Was thinking maybe dropping Ludicolo for Swampert to run Stealth Rock, but them I'm switching to an issue of having Swampert not really doing much.

So, any suggestions? 'Cause I know this first draft isn't going to cut it. Not speedy enough? Too bulky without actually carrying good defensive pokemon? Too Sweepy without the stats to back it up? Not enough Fighting? Not enough Psychic? Needs more setup?

Lemonus
2011-08-02, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for my team in my HeartGold Nuzlocke? The Pokemon I have are:

Totodile (Team)
Bellsprout
Mareep (Team)
Onix (Team)
Slugma (Team)
Togepi
Pidgey (Team)
Wooper Egg
Butterfree (Team)

I just went into the town with Kurt and the Slowpokes (Can't remember the name).

PhantomFox
2011-08-03, 12:00 PM
Okay, the Pokemon newbie is back with some random questions, if you would be so kind.

1) This is my first Pokemon game, and therefore I don't have any of the previous ~500 pokemon from previous generations. What's the best way to go about collecting them via trades, or should I even bother? You can only have as many pokemon as will fit in your boxes, no? Will I have to pick and choose certain ones? How hard is it to get event Pokemon? (aka, should I even try to get a Zoara?)

2) Related, is collecting and replaying mutually exclusive? If I had a whim to do another playthrough with a new team, or do a Nuzlocke run, would that render any special collecting I do pointless? Or is there a way to store rare pokemon for later?

3) Suppose I wanted to get into the comp. scene. Would I have to collect everything from the OU tier before getting started on that?

Qwertystop
2011-08-03, 12:05 PM
Okay, the Pokemon newbie is back with some random questions, if you would be so kind.

1) This is my first Pokemon game, and therefore I don't have any of the previous ~500 pokemon from previous generations. What's the best way to go about collecting them via trades, or should I even bother? You can only have as many pokemon as will fit in your boxes, no? Will I have to pick and choose certain ones? How hard is it to get event Pokemon? (aka, should I even try to get a Zoara?)

2) Related, is collecting and replaying mutually exclusive? If I had a whim to do another playthrough with a new team, or do a Nuzlocke run, would that render any special collecting I do pointless? Or is there a way to store rare pokemon for later?

3) Suppose I wanted to get into the comp. scene. Would I have to collect everything from the OU tier before getting started on that?
1) The boxes will hold every pokemon ever and leave you with 2.5 empty ones afterwards. I've checked. Not sure about the rest.
2) Without a way to back up pokemon to your computer, the only way to keep a collection through a reset is to find a friend willing to trade everything you have to his game for junk pokemon, then trade back afterwards.
3) No, you would just need to collect whatever you want to make into a team. You don't need to have pokemon that you aren't using.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-03, 12:14 PM

You certainly don't have to and without anything to transfer from it would be even more difficult than it usually is to do so. Honestly, not that many veterans of the series (legitimately) have a completely full pokedex, I wouldn't worry about it. Event pokemon can be gotten on the GTS provided that you've seen them (or something, never used it - going into a trade with a specific other person may override this, ask someone more experienced), but are highly valued for being hard to obtain without hacking. However, some event 'mons (including Zorua and Zoarark) can be bred, making them much more common.

Unless you can trade the lot to another cartridge, yes, you'll lose everything.

No, just the things you're interested in and intend to use. Knowing the contents of the tier and what each is used for (at least approximately) is helpful - owning each and every one is probably not.

EifieFlare
2011-08-03, 12:19 PM

I'm just assuming you picked up Black/White for your first game. It's actually perfectly fine if you don't get any of the other generations, since clearing the main story of any of the games is quite straightforward. I didn't bother trading during the story, but I don't think you can send Mons from prior generations anyway until much later in the game.

In any case, many Mons from previous generations are quite excellent. While you could make do with only Mons from B/W, you can add several powerhouses if you trade for things outside of the Inova Dex. If you do want to get them, you can ask around here to see who has what. The GTS is the other, Wi-Fi method of trading with everyone else who has the game, but the offers put up there are completely unreasonable for the most part; you should probably avoid the GTS.

Don't worry too much about box space. You have enough room in your PC to store one of each individual species, and then some, if you wanted to, so go crazy with catching if you want.

Finally, Event Pokemon from past events are quite difficult to get. For Zorua/rk, for instance, you need the set of Entei, Raikou, and Suicune from HG/SS (4th generation), and I believe the distribution for those has long since ended. You'd be better off asking other people for extras, since it would be rather difficult for you to access the event yourself now. Event Pokemon are really more about being there at the right time than anything else. Even then, there are a few posters here who can easily just make you (yes, make) some to help you out.

The only way you could store Pokemon if you wanted to start a new game would be trading them all over to another game before erasing your save file. So in a sense, yes, they're mutually exclusive.

Absolutely not. While the Mons listed in the OU tier are widely regarded as the ones best suited for their roles, you can play using whatever you want. Of course, it'd be in your best interests to go through IV and EV training for anything you use if you plan on competitive battling.

Post Preview shows that I've been beaten to the punch, but I'm posting anyway because it feels like a waste throwing away everything I've typed. :smalltongue:

PhantomFox
2011-08-03, 12:31 PM
Thanks for all the answers! I think I'll probably stick with replaying a few times before

One last question I forgot about. When doing a normal playthrough, when you train up a pokemon, how much experience can you 'waste' on it if you find a pokemon you'd rather replace it with down the line? I've heard that it's bad to switch around you team too much. Is that true?

Mando Knight
2011-08-03, 12:34 PM
Finally, Event Pokemon from past events are quite difficult to get. For Zorua/rk, for instance, you need the set of Entei, Raikou, and Suicune from HG/SS (4th generation), and I believe the distribution for those has long since ended. You'd be better off asking other people for extras, since it would be rather difficult for you to access the event yourself now. Event Pokemon are really more about being there at the right time than anything else. Even then, there are a few posters here who can easily just make you (yes, make) some to help you out.

Zoroark is unlocked by Relocating one of the Shiny Gerbils, and Zorua is unlocked by Relocating an event Celebi (all four were available to the five Gen IV games, and the distribution has since ended). Note that it has to be done by Relocation: simply trading over one of the required Pokémon or using the normal Gen IV-V transfer system won't work.

However, there's plenty of Zorua/Zoroark lying around the internet since they can be bred. Even without talking to one of the people with the means of hacking in a 'mon it should be easy to obtain one. (Heck, I could give you one... just tell me when and your Friend Code and I'll breed one for you.)
One last question I forgot about. When doing a normal playthrough, when you train up a pokemon, how much experience can you 'waste' on it if you find a pokemon you'd rather replace it with down the line? I've heard that it's bad to switch around you team too much. Is that true?Don't worry about it. If you switch to new 'mons too frequently, you'll just have to grind a bit more to keep up with the level curve.

EifieFlare
2011-08-03, 12:42 PM
Zoroark is unlocked by Relocating one of the Shiny Gerbils, and Zorua is unlocked by Relocating an event Celebi (all four were available to the five Gen IV games, and the distribution has since ended). Note that it has to be done by Relocation: simply trading over one of the required Pokémon or using the normal Gen IV-V transfer system won't work.

And this is why I don't give advice about 5th Gen that often. :smalltongue:

One last question I forgot about. When doing a normal playthrough, when you train up a pokemon, how much experience can you 'waste' on it if you find a pokemon you'd rather replace it with down the line? I've heard that it's bad to switch around you team too much. Is that true?

Like Mando said, it's not that bad training up new Mons to keep up in levels. One thing of note with 5th Gen is that experience scales with your level. For instance, if you had a level 5 go up against a level 50 and win, you'd get more experience than if you had a level 55 go against the same level 50. This makes rotating the party more bearable compared to previous games.

tgva8889
2011-08-03, 03:18 PM

Also, a large portion of the competitive battling scene of Pokemon participates on battle simulators, so you don't even need Pokemon to play.

Partof1
2011-08-03, 03:56 PM
RE: Shiny Gerbils and Celebi

Transferring works perfectly fine. Relocating gets you the mons earlier on, but I transferred mine as I would any other pokemon, and I do have my Zorua and Zoroark.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-06, 06:58 AM

breakdownjason
2011-08-06, 10:02 AM

I would actually recommend a Timid nature on the Hydreigon. He's not exactly slow, but unless you throw a scarf on him he's going to be getting countered by things that are just naturally faster than him but the (10%?) boost from Timid will give him just enough extra to surprise them and keep his diversity intact. That sounds just about right for Chandelure though.

tgva8889
2011-08-06, 10:25 AM
Well, for Modest you probably just go Specs and crush him completely or something.

breakdownjason
2011-08-06, 10:30 AM
Well, for Modest you probably just go Specs and crush him completely or something.

True until they bring in a Base 99 or higher speed with a good attack and Bug/Fighting/Dragon moves and OHKO the poor guy.

tgva8889
2011-08-06, 10:54 AM
Thus why switching was invented.

breakdownjason
2011-08-06, 12:25 PM
Fair enough tgva. I just prefer diversity to what basically entails a free Nasty Plot :smallsmile: In other news, I haven't seen a rate my team on here for a while so here goes nothing.

Spiritomb
Leftovers
Pressure
Calm Nature
252 Def / 252 SDef / 6 HP
Confuse Ray
Will-O-Wisp
Dark Pulse
Pain Split
I run him as a mixed wall (stalltomb). I decided that due to his immunities and resistances I could afford to lose the HP (since he has terrible HP anyway)

Feraligatr
Expert Belt
Torrent (No DW for this one sadly)
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Superpower
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Typical DD Sweeper. Nothing to see here

Togekiss
Bright Powder
Serene Grace
Calm Nature
252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spd / 6 SDef
Morning Sun
Thunder Wave
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Para-Flinch Togekiss. Hits incredibly hard and can actually act as a sort of Special Wall due to the nature.

Breloom
Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Naive Nature (Was looking for Jolly but I got bored breeding something that I have to grind to level 45 to get his signature move)
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Spore
Facade
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore Puncher who can also hit pretty well with a Poison boosted Facade.

Charizard
Choice Specs
Blaze (see Feraligatr)
Rash Nature
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Air Slash
Focus Blast
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower (I prefer accuracy and PP over Power)
Choice Specs sweeper.

Braviary
Choice Scarf
Keen Eye
Naughty Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Return
Brave Bird
Superpower
U-Turn
Doubling as a scout and revenge killer. A scarfed Braviary is actually a pretty speedy option for this.

So. Thoughts on the team so far? I know it runs a lot of sweepers, but I think coverage is decent at least.

Melvni
2011-08-06, 12:39 PM
Fair enough tgva. I just prefer diversity to what basically entails a free Nasty Plot :smallsmile: In other news, I haven't seen a rate my team on here for a while so here goes nothing.

Spiritomb
Leftovers
Pressure
Calm Nature
252 Def / 252 SDef / 6 HP
Confuse Ray
Will-O-Wisp
Dark Pulse
Pain Split
I run him as a mixed wall (stalltomb). I decided that due to his immunities and resistances I could afford to lose the HP (since he has terrible HP anyway)

Feraligatr
Expert Belt
Torrent (No DW for this one sadly)
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Superpower
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Typical DD Sweeper. Nothing to see here

Togekiss
Bright Powder
Serene Grace
Calm Nature
252 Sp Atk/ 252 Spd / 6 SDef
Morning Sun
Thunder Wave
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Para-Flinch Togekiss. Hits incredibly hard and can actually act as a sort of Special Wall due to the nature.

Breloom
Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Naive Nature (Was looking for Jolly but I got bored breeding something that I have to grind to level 45 to get his signature move)
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Spore
Facade
Focus Punch
Seed Bomb
Spore Puncher who can also hit pretty well with a Poison boosted Facade.

Charizard
Choice Specs
Blaze (see Feraligatr)
Rash Nature
252 SpAtk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Air Slash
Focus Blast
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower (I prefer accuracy and PP over Power)
Choice Specs sweeper.

Braviary
Choice Scarf
Keen Eye
Naughty Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Return
Brave Bird
Superpower
U-Turn
Doubling as a scout and revenge killer. A scarfed Braviary is actually a pretty speedy option for this.

So. Thoughts on the team so far? I know it runs a lot of sweepers, but I think coverage is decent at least.

The first thing that pops into my head is that your team is very ice/rock/electric weak with all those fliers. You have three members weak to ice with only one resist, three members weak to rock (including a 4x weak Charizard) with only one resist, and four members weak to electric with only one resist. I'd probably think about finding some way to alleviate that problem. Also, if possible (as in you haven't either bred it or transferred it to your B/W game yet), you probably want to replace Ice Fang with Ice Punch on Feraligatr.

breakdownjason
2011-08-06, 12:44 PM
The first thing that pops into my head is that your team is very ice/rock/electric weak with all those fliers. You have three members weak to ice with only one resist, three members weak to rock (including a 4x weak Charizard) with only one resist, and four members weak to electric with only one resist. I'd probably think about finding some way to alleviate that problem. Also, if possible (as in you haven't either bred it or transferred it to your B/W game yet), you probably want to replace Ice Fang with Ice Punch on Feraligatr.

Yeah, I certainly have noticed a few problems with those types . I was thinking of replacing 'Zard with a Sub Seed Serperior This still leaves a 2x Ice weakness though (but Serperior does have max IV's in SpDef and 252 EV's in it as well so he can tank those hits alright.) As to the Ice Punch, I think the Flinch chance (even if it's only 10%) offsets the loss of 10 BP.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-06, 01:59 PM
I would actually recommend a Timid nature on the Hydreigon. He's not exactly slow, but unless you throw a scarf on him he's going to be getting countered by things that are just naturally faster than him but the (10%?) boost from Timid will give him just enough extra to surprise them and keep his diversity intact. That sounds just about right for Chandelure though.

Ah, thanks. It's just that I actually got lucky enough to catch a Modest Deino and Litwick, and I figure "Hey, why not EV train them in-game?"

breakdownjason
2011-08-06, 02:05 PM
Ah, thanks. It's just that I actually got lucky enough to catch a Modest Deino and Litwick, and I figure "Hey, why not EV train them in-game?"

Dare you check their IV's to see if their usefulness would extend to the competetive scene? I'm sure they'll be fantastic for any in game trainers though. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-06, 02:34 PM
Dare you check their IV's to see if their usefulness would extend to the competetive scene? I'm sure they'll be fantastic for any in game trainers though. :smallsmile:

I'm sure they're crappy, but this is for the subway. I'm no good at competitive battling.

Uh, could anyone please help me out by doing trades? I'd really like a Togepi, or some evolution stones, or a trade-tradeback of Reshiram, please. Thanks.

EDIT: Haven't checked Hydreigon yet, but my Chandelure's IVs...I don't think they're that bad, especially for a wild-caught. 19 HP, 11 Attack, 27 Defense, 21 or 22 Special Attack, 18 Special Defense, and 23 Speed.

What do you think?

breakdownjason
2011-08-06, 02:50 PM
Uh, could anyone please help me out by doing trades? I'd really like a Togepi, or some evolution stones, or a trade-tradeback of Reshiram, please. Thanks.

I could do the Togepi. My time available is a little bit skewed though since I don't have wi-fi access at my apartment which leaves me to go to a hotspot (which my work and home schedule does not allow a lot of). Is there anything in particular you'd like on it? Right now I have a bunch of orphan Togepi's that know Morning Sun and I believe have Max IV's in speed. Also the earliest I could get it out to you would likely be tomorrow after 1PM CST.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-06, 02:52 PM
I could do the Togepi. My time available is a little bit skewed though since I don't have wi-fi access at my apartment which leaves me to go to a hotspot (which my work and home schedule does not allow a lot of. Is there anything in particular you'd like on it? Right now I have a bunch of orphan Togepi's that know Morning Sun and I believe have Max IV's in speed. Also the earliest I could get it out to you would likely be tomorrow after 1PM CST.

Oh, that would be perfect! (male, preferably). So after 2 Eastern? That would be perfect; thank you so much!

Qwertystop
2011-08-07, 08:02 AM
Okay, remember the survey team from a while ago? Here's the news of it.

Since I found out that I could only transfer the team after I got the C-Gear, I decided to make them level 10. On my way to the second town, I had my first fainted pokemon (Combee against the very last trainer on the route). So far, Honey Gather is looking like a good way to get money early-game until Combee evolves, and Dragon Rage is a 1-hit KO. Soon after that, there was a battle with N (easy) and the Gym Trainers. I got some good XP off them, then had my first TPK. Lenora's Watchog 1-hit all my guys with Retaliate, and the only way I beat the Herdier was with Charmander's Smokescreen and a bunch of Quick Attacks and Vaccum Waves from Scyther and Absol. I went to the route directly outside Pinwheel Forest (the forest itself was blocked by lots and lots of Galactic Grunts). I trained my guys up to Level 15, very glad for all the Audinos and for Sweet Scent. I then bought lots of items to avoid losing all my money to battle-loss fees, went back in to beat Lenora, and promptly got my second, third, fourth, and fifth TPKs. However, each time, I switched in someone different to get the last blow on Herdier, and the XP from that was enough to get all of them to level 17 or 18 (Except Combee, at level 16). Shiny Charmeleon looks awesome, and knows Dragon Rage (now bringing enemies to red or low orange). Deino knows Dragon Breath, which helped a lot to prevent TPK #6 by paralyzing the Watchog. Combee finished it off with a Bug Bite critical.

Nothing much happened on the way to the next town, the incidental battles got everyone to level 18 and 19, and I am now at the entrance to the third gym. I have a few questions.

1: Do my guys need more training?
2: When should I evolve Scyther and Growlithe, since they're the only ones that don't evolve by level?
3: Is anyone interested in hearing more?

Starwulf
2011-08-07, 03:47 PM
Okay, remember the survey team from a while ago? Here's the news of it.

Since I found out that I could only transfer the team after I got the C-Gear, I decided to make them level 10. On my way to the second town, I had my first fainted pokemon (Combee against the very last trainer on the route). So far, Honey Gather is looking like a good way to get money early-game until Combee evolves, and Dragon Rage is a 1-hit KO. Soon after that, there was a battle with N (easy) and the Gym Trainers. I got some good XP off them, then had my first TPK. Lenora's Watchog 1-hit all my guys with Retaliate, and the only way I beat the Herdier was with Charmander's Smokescreen and a bunch of Quick Attacks and Vaccum Waves from Scyther and Absol. I went to the route directly outside Pinwheel Forest (the forest itself was blocked by lots and lots of Galactic Grunts). I trained my guys up to Level 15, very glad for all the Audinos and for Sweet Scent. I then bought lots of items to avoid losing all my money to battle-loss fees, went back in to beat Lenora, and promptly got my second, third, fourth, and fifth TPKs. However, each time, I switched in someone different to get the last blow on Herdier, and the XP from that was enough to get all of them to level 17 or 18 (Except Combee, at level 16). Shiny Charmeleon looks awesome, and knows Dragon Rage (now bringing enemies to red or low orange). Deino knows Dragon Breath, which helped a lot to prevent TPK #6 by paralyzing the Watchog. Combee finished it off with a Bug Bite critical.

Nothing much happened on the way to the next town, the incidental battles got everyone to level 18 and 19, and I am now at the entrance to the third gym. I have a few questions.

1: Do my guys need more training?
2: When should I evolve Scyther and Growlithe, since they're the only ones that don't evolve by level?
3: Is anyone interested in hearing more?

1. Maybe. I haven't played my 5th gen game(Black) yet, but My general practice is to level all of my guys to 20 before the 2nd gym, so if you're at the 3rd, I'd suggest level 25(unless you really like to be challenged, in which case just take everyone up to 20).
2. Scizor! A steel type that can tank just about anything right now could be very useful in extending your survivability, so I'd suggest evolving it soon. Growlithe into Arcanine is always a good choice, though if you want the most powerful moves earlier rather then later, maybe hold off until it's a higher level, though that's entirely up to you.
3. Yeah I enjoyed reading about your adventures thus far ^^ Keep posting em!

Mando Knight
2011-08-07, 05:23 PM
1.) Train up. Burgh will be relatively easy due to being a Bug-type gym leader, but you're lagging.

2.) Evolve Scizor ASAP. Scyther doesn't really learn much that Scizor can't, and Scizor is far more durable. Growlithe depends. If you have Flare Blitz and Crunch already (or don't want those moves), evolve ASAP. Otherwise, it'll be stuck as Growlithe until level 56.

Qwertystop
2011-08-07, 07:04 PM
1.) Train up. Burgh will be relatively easy due to being a Bug-type gym leader, but you're lagging.

2.) Evolve Scizor ASAP. Scyther doesn't really learn much that Scizor can't, and Scizor is far more durable. Growlithe depends. If you have Flare Blitz and Crunch already (or don't want those moves), evolve ASAP. Otherwise, it'll be stuck as Growlithe until level 56.

Is Flare Blitz worth missing out on ExtremeSpeed and the boosted stats? I doubt it'll reach 56 until after the Elite 4...

tgva8889
2011-08-07, 08:36 PM
Could you update the Pokemon, Levels, and Moves, just so we can see?

Also, YES it is. Besides, you can use a Heart Scale to relearn Extremespeed if you really want it, the Move Relearner is in the town with the airport.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-07, 09:16 PM
Is Flare Blitz worth missing out on ExtremeSpeed and the boosted stats? I doubt it'll reach 56 until after the Elite 4...

Heart Scale fixes everything. Flare Blitz is AMAZING. Of course, Growlithe can be bred the move; Infernape will pass down both Flare Blitz and Close Combat.

Qwertystop
2011-08-07, 09:25 PM
Could you update the Pokemon, Levels, and Moves, just so we can see?

Sure, here they are:
Shiny Charmeleon, level 18:
Rock Smash, Dragon Rage, Ember, Smokescreen

Growlithe (Flash Fire) with Charcoal, level 19:
Bite, Rock Smash, Ember, Leer

Scyther (Technician), level 19:
Quick Attack, Leer, Vaccum Wave, Agility

Absol (Super Luck) with Scope Lens, level 18
Quick Attack, Razor Wind, Leer, Taunt

Combee (Honey Gather), level 19:
Sweet Scent, Gust, Bug Bite

Deino (Hustle), level 19:
DragonBreath, Headbutt, Focus Energy, Bite

tgva8889
2011-08-09, 12:32 AM
Things you must keep constant track of:

Number of misses with Deino's 100-rated Accuracy moves
Amount of Honey obtained from Combee
Man, Absol does not learn any Dark moves for a while, does it?

FantasyFoxMan
2011-08-09, 04:40 AM
Hey, guys! Remember this place (http://gts.kanojo.de/request.php) that was mentioned in the previous threads where you can get Pokes through the GTS using their special address? Well, I requested that a Mild Natured Storm Drain Shellos (with specific bred moves) be created, and I really want to see it get voted up. Could you all lend poor FoxMan a helping hand? :smalltongue:

Also they've got the Event Toys R' Us Arceus up right now so if you never got one (like I did, sadly. I didn't get Platinum quick enough) you should probably go get it now seriously before it goes away :V

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I love Chandelure now. Love, love, LOVE it. It is amazing.

Qwertystop
2011-08-09, 07:52 AM
Things you must keep constant track of:

Number of misses with Deino's 100-rated Accuracy moves
Amount of Honey obtained from Combee
Man, Absol does not learn any Dark moves for a while, does it?

Why would it matter how many times either of those things happen? Also, I haven't sold any of my Honey yet (or the valuables I've found). I usually keep them in item form until I really need more money fast. That way there's no risk of hitting the cap or losing it to a random unlucky loss.

I've got another update coming up, just need to un-shorthand it.

Okay, here's the update.

I trained through all the Gym Trainers, the 3 Dancers outside, and both floors of the Battle Company, went north to train a little bit more, and went down to the gym. Team is all at levels 20-21. Battle starts. Growlithe 2HKOs Whirlipede, takes no damage at all, and levels up. Charmeleon 2HKOs Dwebble with Dragon Rage (hasn't started losing effectiveness yet), and still takes no damage. I keep Charmeleon in for Leavanny. He misses the first Ember, and hits the second, while Razor Leaf brings him to about 2/3. Protects stops him from KO-ing, the third Raor Leaf brings Charmeleon to 4 hp, but the last Ember wins the battle and gets 2 levels for Charmeleon.

Before the battle with Bianca, I fix all the damage taken with 1 super potion. Herdier and GRowlithe trade blows for a bit, but Herdier ends up taking itself out with recoil (bringing Growlithe to 6). I send Absol out against Panpour. Pursuit brings Panpour to low orange while it uses Water Sport. Absol's Quick Attack would finish it, but bianca uses a Super Potion and it ends up at half health. The next turn, Quick Attack finishes it. I send Vespiquen against Servine, bring Servine to red with a Bug Bite, but Leech Seed brings it to low orange. We both try a wind attack, but Leaf Tornado misses while Gust gets the KO, and vespiquen levels. I switch Absol in against Munna, Taunt it once to stop it from Defense Curling, and use Pursuit (1HKO). Absol is now 31 xp from leveling.

I forgot about the upcoming battle with Cheren, so I didn't heal and my 6-HP growlithe ends up against Pidove, in a sandstorm.Switch to vespiquen, power gem plus the sandstorm from the last turn 1-hits the Pidove. Scyther vs. Dewott, we open with a Quick Attack and a Focus Energy, respectively. His Sitrus Berry negates my second Quick Attack, and a Razor Shell (crit?) brings it to 14, so I swap to Absol. Absol is brought to half from the switch-in Razor Shell. On Absol's first turn, his Pursuit is too slow so he faints without getting a hit. Deino replaces him, is brought to around 20 by a critical Razor Shell, and brings Dewott to red with a Dragonbreath. I try a Super Potion, and Raazorshell moslty negates it, so I swap to Vespiquen, taking a bit of damage. I realize that Vespiquen's probably slower than Dewott, use a super potion, and Dewott is knocked out by the sandstorm. Growlithe vs pansear. I start with a Super Potion to bring Growlithe back to full, can't remember what he does, but not much happens. We get each other to half (my Retaliate, his Bite). Second turn he uses Yawn and I KO with Retaliate. Liepard vs Charmeleon (my only one with full HP). I use Rock Smash, he uses Pursuit, and both of us end up at 3/4. A second pursuit brings me to half, but Dragon Rage wins the battle.

I heal at the little house on the side of the route, and continue down to the next city. THere's a good bit of training on the random eno****ers and nearby trainers, but not much worth mentioning. The Plasma battle at Nimbasa has a Watchog (HATE HATE HATE), but Scyther's Wing Attack + Quick Attack beats it easily. Trubbish is taken out by a Wing Attack crit.

That's about all, here's their movesets and levels:

Scyther, level 21, with Amulet Coin:
Quick Attack, Leer, Wing Attack, Agility.

Absol, level 21, still with Scope Lens:
Quick Attack, Pursuit, Leer, Taunt.

Deino, level 21:
DragonBreath, Roar, Focus Energy, Bite.

Vespiquen (Pressure), level 22:
Sweet Scent, Gust, Bug Bite, Power Gem.

Growlithe, level 21:
Bite, Retaliate, Flame Wheel, Leer.

Charmeleon, level 22:
Rock Smash, Dragon Rage, Ember, Rest.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-08-09, 08:46 AM
Hey, guys! Remember this place (http://gts.kanojo.de/request.php) that was mentioned in the previous threads where you can get Pokes through the GTS using their special address? Well, I requested that a Mild Natured Storm Drain Shellos (with specific bred moves) be created, and I really want to see it get voted up. Could you all lend poor FoxMan a helping hand? :smalltongue:

Also they've got the Event Toys R' Us Arceus up right now so if you never got one (like I did, sadly. I didn't get Platinum quick enough) you should probably go get it now seriously before it goes away :V

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I love Chandelure now. Love, love, LOVE it. It is amazing.

How does this website work?

tgva8889
2011-08-09, 09:45 AM
Why would it matter how many times either of those things happen? Also, I haven't sold any of my Honey yet (or the valuables I've found). I usually keep them in item form until I really need more money fast. That way there's no risk of hitting the cap or losing it to a random unlucky loss.

Just for amusement. If I used a Hustle-mon, I'd keep track of my horrible unluck just for my own enjoyment.

Prime32
2011-08-09, 05:34 PM
How does this website work?After just trying it, you change the settings on your DS's internet connection so that when your game contacts the GTS it reaches their site instead. Every time you enter "GTS trade" in-game you get a free mon as if it was traded to you. There's a list of the current freebies on the front page, and you can "wish" for others if you donate.

By registering an account on-site and entering an ID, you can do more advanced stuff like modify some of your mons' stats. Depending on version, you may get the ID in the form of a weak Staryu with a nickname.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-08-10, 12:45 AM
Yeah, Gen V does Staryus as IDs now. Any Gen IV games give you this specific method in order to obtain an ID. I myself still have a Staryu as my Gen IV ID, though.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-08-10, 07:26 AM
So, Wobbufett. Good, bad, or beautiful?

PhantomFox
2011-08-10, 10:51 AM
So, I'm raising up my team for the Elite 4 rematch. Found a Riolu in the Challengers Cave, and because I love Lucario from Brawl (and I hear he rocks here too) I decided to keep him. Now, evolving him through happiness might take a bit, so I had an idea.

Should I pass him through the Dream World to reset him to lvl 1 and train him by hand back to where he was? I remember hearing that training pokemon from scratch gives better results than naturally high level ones. That, and it'll be easier to get lots of happiness through leveling this way too. He my get new stats, but I checked his IVs on a whim and they weren't that great to begin with. So... good idea or no?

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-10, 11:21 AM
So, I'm raising up my team for the Elite 4 rematch. Found a Riolu in the Challengers Cave, and because I love Lucario from Brawl (and I hear he rocks here too) I decided to keep him. Now, evolving him through happiness might take a bit, so I had an idea.

Should I pass him through the Dream World to reset him to lvl 1 and train him by hand back to where he was? I remember hearing that training pokemon from scratch gives better results than naturally high level ones. That, and it'll be easier to get lots of happiness through leveling this way too. He my get new stats, but I checked his IVs on a whim and they weren't that great to begin with. So... good idea or no?

I've never used the Dream World (though I really should try at some point), but is there a particular reason you couldn't breed it? You're post-E4 so you can get Ditto (Giant Chasm, I think the place is called, where Kyuurem is) if it's not female. And if it is then you can breed some moves on to it. If its IVs aren't great and its Nature wasn't worth mentioning there's no real downside to breeding it - particularly since the whole point is raising it from level one anyway.

PhantomFox
2011-08-10, 11:23 AM
Thought about that, but Riolu can't breed until it evolves anyway.

Ryuho Tsugu
2011-08-10, 12:04 PM

1) The Dream World doesn't reset levels. The only way it can affect your Pokemon's level is if you get 500+ Dream Points in one session, which increases its level by one.

2) It doesn't matter when you train your Pokemon. Given identical IVs, nature and EV training, a Pokemon trained from level one will have the same stats at level 100 as a wild Pokemon trained at whatever level it was caught at.

PhantomFox
2011-08-10, 12:21 PM
Ah, I see. I was confusing it with the pokemon you got from the dream tree. Oh well. I'll just train it normally then.

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-10, 04:12 PM
I vote beautiful, as I find it quite beautiful that a normal, ordinary, gimmick pokemon that was almost laughed off the face of the earth when it first came out is now banned from anything outside of Nintendo tournaments. And it's such a problem that even it's NFE form is banned for the exact same reasons.

SO IT SEEMS!

Qwertystop
2011-08-10, 04:53 PM
I bet everyone in a Nintendo tournament who also plays competitively brings a Wobbuffet.

Mando Knight
2011-08-10, 05:58 PM
I bet everyone in a Nintendo tournament who also plays competitively brings a Wobbuffet.

Not necessarily. Most Nintendo tournaments are Double battles as far as I know, and Wobbly's power drops when it has to contend with two threats instead of just one.

boj0
2011-08-10, 10:41 PM
In addition: Wobb's biggest way to control a threat, Encore, has been significantly reduced in power. Plus the between Gens IV an V, several Pokes that have the ability to OHKO Wobb regardless of it's massive HP, so it is harder for it to do it's job as well.

Qwertystop
2011-08-11, 08:41 AM
In addition: Wobb's biggest way to control a threat, Encore, has been significantly reduced in power. Plus the between Gens IV an V, several Pokes that have the ability to OHKO Wobb regardless of it's massive HP, so it is harder for it to do it's job as well.

Can't Wobb just hold a Focus Sash/Belt (whichever one is 100% chance but only from full HP) and therefore destroy the target utterly with twice the damage it got?

EDIT: Also, the change to Encore might not be too much of a nerf. Sure, it might not last as long, but you know EXACTLY how long it will last and can reuse Encore at the right time.

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-11, 01:52 PM
Can't Wobb just hold a Focus Sash/Belt (whichever one is 100% chance but only from full HP) and therefore destroy the target utterly with twice the damage it got?
The first attack hits you, de-activating your Focus Sash, and then the second attack hits you, possibly for the kill. Counter/Mirror Coat are both negative priority, so you're going to take both hits barring other negative priority attacks. You're not at full HP for the second attack. That's the way it is, sir.

boj0
2011-08-12, 12:14 PM

EDIT: Also, the change to Encore might not be too much of a nerf. Sure, it might not last as long, but you know EXACTLY how long it will last and can reuse Encore at the right time.

Shell Smash Cloyster holding a Focus Sash, unless you Encore the turn it Smashes, it will wreck Wobbeuffet; and even then you have a limited time to switch and take it out.

tgva8889
2011-08-12, 01:35 PM
I don't know how often people play Shell Smash Focus Sash Cloyster. Most people use White Herb with Shell Smash. Most people also use Baton Pass, but that's beside the point.

That said, there are lots of Pokemon that beat Wobbuffet, and the biggest problem is, well, Wobbuffet doesn't do anything. The environment is aggressive, and Wobbuffet does not really attack things very well.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-08-12, 06:11 PM

I'm making an entire team of 6 Wobbufett. So, I'd say beautiful. :smallcool:

Also, this is my face when (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/yes.png) I make an awesome Prankster Murkrow moveset.

This is my face when (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/NO.png) I find out the hard way that Honchkrow's DW ability is Moxie.

Man, was I disappointed. :I

Prime32
2011-08-12, 06:25 PM
Also, this is my face when (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/yes.png) I make an awesome Prankster Murkrow moveset.

This is my face when (http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/SkieTheKitsune/NO.png) I find out the hard way that Honchkrow's DW ability is Moxie.

Man, was I disappointed. :IEviolite? *shrug*

tgva8889
2011-08-12, 06:35 PM
Eviolite Prankster Murkrow is actually good enough.

Qwertystop
2011-08-12, 08:01 PM
Eviolite Prankster Murkrow is actually good enough awesome.

Fixed that for you ;)

boj0
2011-08-12, 10:49 PM
I don't know how often people play Shell Smash Focus Sash Cloyster. Most people use White Herb with Shell Smash. Most people also use Baton Pass, but that's beside the point.

Lead Cloyster :smallwink:
Okay I'm done with Cloyster now.

PhantomFox
2011-08-13, 01:03 AM
Okay, so I beat the Elite 4 rematch, and now I'm at the critical point where I decide if I want to reset and play again, or fool around with PVP. On the one hand, I'd like to mess around with the metagame and see how I do, but on the other hand, all the variables that go into breeding a good pokemon (nature, IV, and passed moves) seems like a big hassle, EV training aside. There is that battle simulator online, but I only know about a handful of pokemon outside of Gen V and I'm not sure how widely it's used anyhow. But let's assume I play around with battling. What's the state of the metagmae?

From what I can understand, the keys seem to be weather, priority moves, abilities, and held items. I kinda want to see if I can come up with a unique strategy, as I'm not the biggest fan of following the current trends, and I'd be behind the curve anyhow. I'll have to go through them all and see if any underrated things can be combined into a workable new strategy. Any thoughts to help jumpstart this?

tgva8889
2011-08-13, 02:04 AM
Held items are less "key parts of the Metagame" and more "things everyone uses cause they're there and there's no reason not to".

Also, your edit of my statement doesn't even work. :smalltongue:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-13, 02:31 AM
G'whatever-time-it-is-where-you-are, people, never posted in these threads before... But it's about time for my annual attempt to get back into Pokémon, followed the series from the start, and stopped at Gen 3 (but I keep going back to them). I have a question about the newest, Black and White; Is there a difference between them beyond the Pokémon available in them, like the old games?

Then, second question, My favorites were Gold and Silver, would I be better off getting Heart Gold or Soul Silver instead? Rather subjective I guess, but I'm curious.

Dragonus45
2011-08-13, 02:47 AM
There is that battle simulator online, but I only know about a handful of pokemon outside of Gen V and I'm not sure how widely it's used anyhow. But let's assume I play around with battling. What's the state of the metagmae?

From what I can understand, the keys seem to be weather, priority moves, abilities, and held items. I kinda want to see if I can come up with a unique strategy, as I'm not the biggest fan of following the current trends, and I'd be behind the curve anyhow. I'll have to go through them all and see if any underrated things can be combined into a workable new strategy. Any thoughts to help jumpstart this?

If you play with a battle simulator i recommend pokemon online, and the website smogon.com. PO is widely used and smogon is the main hub for the whole english speaking pokemon community. The metagame right now is very heavily based around the weather wars, however a lot of servers have started banning certain combinations like having a politoad who makes it rain forever and a pokemon with swift swim.

tgva8889
2011-08-13, 02:52 AM
I have a question about the newest, Black and White; Is there a difference between them beyond the Pokémon available in them, like the old games?

Oh yes there is. There are 151 new Pokemon, and they are the only Pokemon you can use in Black and White. None of the old Pokemon, none of them, are available until you've defeated the storyline.

PhantomFox
2011-08-13, 09:47 AM
Weather wars, eh? Too bad there isn't a decent pokemon with the Cloud Nine ability that I'm familiar with. I also noticed the move Soak seems like it'd be very exploitable, but I don't see anyone who can make good use of it.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-08-13, 09:53 AM
Eviolite? *shrug*

...FFFFFFF. Why didn't I think of that.

Welp, I am an idiot. I shan't make that mistake again. :smalltongue:

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-13, 11:14 AM
Speaking of weather wars, I'm surprised I didn't get much love/hate for that team I posted earlier... That must mean my idea is ten times better than I thought it was! ...Or a hundred times worse. :smalltongue:

enderlord99
2011-08-13, 11:28 AM
Oh yes there is. There are 151 new Pokemon, and they are the only Pokemon you can use in Black and White. None of the old Pokemon, none of them, are available until you've defeated the storyline.

How does that make B different from W?:smallconfused:

Prime32
2011-08-13, 11:43 AM
There are big differences. Different wild Pokémon, different legendary, one city looks different in each game, and Black has a city where White has a forest.

Also, there's a roaming legendary in each, and bringing both together (as long as you caught one yourself) lets you unlock a third.

Mando Knight
2011-08-13, 12:10 PM
I have a question about the newest, Black and White; Is there a difference between them beyond the Pokémon available in them, like the old games?

Then, second question, My favorites were Gold and Silver, would I be better off getting Heart Gold or Soul Silver instead? Rather subjective I guess, but I'm curious.
Black and White have the standard separation in available Pokémon, though like Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl, this extends to the legendary on the cover.

I would recommend HGSS if you liked Gold and Silver, though there's enough neat stuff in Unova that I would recommend getting one of each pair (Black or White and HeartGold or SoulSilver).

breakdownjason
2011-08-13, 12:37 PM

The Silver/Gold remakes were, IMO, VERY well done. They're also my favorite installments of the series and getting to go back through the story in a current gen system was amazingly fun in a nostalgic sense. B/W is also a good game. A few of the new 'mons may rub you the wrong way, but I feel that they hit the mark with the majority (i.e. pseudo legendary Hydreigon is A-Mazing). If you can only afford one, I would probably say to go with B/W and if you want anything from a previous gen, you can always just ask for it on here, and if anyone is available they'll likely be able to help you out. :smallcool:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-13, 05:08 PM
Hmm, OK, thanks everyone. Think I'll follow Mando's advice and get one of each... despite that going against my tradition, there's internet now I don't need to play through it twice to make sure I can get everything. :smallbiggrin:

And this Pokemon online looks interesting, I shall have to join that... Man I should have jumped on that idea when I had it way back when, how long's that been out...

tgva8889
2011-08-14, 12:25 AM
How does that make B different from W?:smallconfused:

My apologizes, I fatally misread the question. :smallredface:

Would there be interest in a Pokemon Online tournament?

Mc. Lovin'
2011-08-14, 06:13 AM
Yeah I'd participate, rpobably lose but whatever :smallsmile:

Goldfly
2011-08-14, 09:23 AM

I would definitely participate.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-14, 11:44 AM

Sure, though I'll need a time and tier well in advance so I can put something together, obviously. Never played competitively before, though I'm okay on the theory behind it.

tgva8889
2011-08-14, 12:23 PM
Times would be based on when you and your opponent could get together. I'm thinking probably Mixtier since that'd be more interesting, but I'm not sure.

Jjeinn-tae
2011-08-14, 12:40 PM
I'll join. Probably won't be any good as my best fights were with the old AI, but OK. :smallbiggrin:

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-14, 01:50 PM
Ooh, okay, sounds interesting. Would Kyogre and Swift Swimmers be allowed or not? I know that Drizzletoed and Swift Swim is commonly banned but I'm not sure that the same would apply if the original Drizzler was usable.

tgva8889
2011-08-14, 01:55 PM
Kyogre is an Uber, so he'd be banned. I'll probably stick with typical bannings (so no Swift Swim + Drizzle on the same team). We'll see what the basic opinion is.

Mando Knight
2011-08-14, 05:02 PM
I know that Drizzletoed and Swift Swim is commonly banned but I'm not sure that the same would apply if the original Drizzler was usable.

Let's see.

Politoed on its own is a passably bulky 'mon with a good hidden ability. Kyogre is strictly superior to Politoed in every stat, and can use the BoltBeam combination on its own.

If you allow Kyogre, you're gonna have to allow Zekrom (which is, by the way, pretty much a hard counter to Kyogre) and the like.

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-14, 05:05 PM
Please do clarify which bans are typical, as the last time I was looking into bans decisions were in flux, and there's bans that some places consider typical that others don't. For example, I'm pretty certain the general consensus is that Item Ban is kind of outdated, but it's in effect at most Nintendo events.

tgva8889
2011-08-14, 05:22 PM
Typical is Species Clause, Sleep/Freeze Clause, Self-Destruct Clause (don't use it as your last move). I'm including Drizzle + Swift Swim as banned for OU in addition to the normal Uber-ranked Pokemon.

Edit: Forgot Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, and Moody banned. Basically these (http://www.smogon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=144&a=187) are banned.

Also, it may end up just being OU, because the other, lower tiers aren't really clear yet as far as I'm aware. But it'd still be pretty fun to do a PO tourney. I'll post an official rules post when I've got all my organization set up.

On a totally different note, what does anyone think of Gravity? It's very interesting and rare, and it has a somewhat unique effect.

PhantomFox
2011-08-14, 11:41 PM
I'd be amenable to trying a tournament if someone were to help me figure out what the cuss I'd be doing.

Also: reading up on things regarding breeding, and seeing whether or not one can create a golden chocobo, so to speak, with proper breeding.

Dragonus45
2011-08-15, 01:33 AM

I would be greatly interested in one.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-15, 02:14 AM
Kyogre is an Uber, so he'd be banned. I'll probably stick with typical bannings (so no Swift Swim + Drizzle on the same team). We'll see what the basic opinion is.

'Kay, then I'm going to need to know exactly what you're talking about by "mixtier", 'cause the description I found googling it included one Uber per team. Would probably remove any further confusion on my part (as would going with OU, as you suggest later).

tgva8889
2011-08-15, 02:38 AM
I googled "mixtier" and the first link was a random forum thread of someone suggesting a format with only like 4 posts in it. Below that were 3 videos of a guy playing Mixtier in 4th Gen, which is where I got the idea from. In any case, I'd probably just outright not allow Ubers in whatever I run unless it is an Ubers tourney (which could actually be fun and interesting).

In any case, I'll make a more clarified rules post when I get the organization all set up. So no worries about understanding format or anything, they'll be tons of time to just think about it. Unless there's a large outcry for something else, assume standard OU with Smogon banlists.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-15, 04:24 AM
I googled "mixtier" and the first link was a random forum thread of someone suggesting a format with only like 4 posts in it. Below that were 3 videos of a guy playing Mixtier in 4th Gen, which is where I got the idea from. In any case, I'd probably just outright not allow Ubers in whatever I run unless it is an Ubers tourney (which could actually be fun and interesting).

In any case, I'll make a more clarified rules post when I get the organization all set up. So no worries about understanding format or anything, they'll be tons of time to just think about it. Unless there's a large outcry for something else, assume standard OU with Smogon banlists.

I was led to the same things but ignored the videos, which is probably why I was kinda confused.

Awesome, I'll try to put something together then (I can probably just alter a UU team I put together for fun, there were a few OU 'mons I wanted in it anyway).

Lemonus
2011-08-15, 10:24 AM
Blargh. Morty's Gengar just TPK'ed my team in my Heartgold Nuzlocke.

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-15, 06:15 PM
Inspired by seeing this (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wobbuffet_(POP_Series_4_16)) on display with a booster pack at a store, I decided to take a look at how Wobbuffet has fared in the video game to children's motorcycle centric card game transition. Some of them are pretty close to the concept, the others... Well, they may not be too Wobbuffetty, but they certainly look annoying. :smalltongue:

On a totally different note, what does anyone think of Gravity? It's very interesting and rare, and it has a somewhat unique effect.
I remember looking into trying to go for a Gravity team a while back, the thing was that I couldn't find out if decreasing your opponent's evasion is mechanically the same as increasing your accuracy... And I want to say even that is muddled up by the game not distinguishing between "Me missing" and "Them dodging" through text.

That said, apparently I was wrong reading things incorrectly way back when and it's at least superficially the same thing. Too bad most of the pokemon I want to use only learn it via Move Tutor...

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-15, 06:52 PM
I'd be very interested in a tournament.

boj0
2011-08-15, 07:54 PM
Mixtier:
2 Ubers
2 OU
2 UU
???
Profit!!

Dragonus45
2011-08-15, 09:47 PM
Mixtier:
2 Ubers
2 OU
2 UU
???
Profit!!

I would be up for that, but it could also get pretty wacky. A mix tier 2 Uber, 1OU and 3 BL would be interesting. Or 1 uber 2 ou 3bl. But that would definitely need the rules on weather and weather speed inducers.

PhantomFox
2011-08-15, 10:29 PM
So, once again, I'm conflicted on what to do, so I turn to you Pokemon threaders.

I've finished all the post game content I really care to do, so I can now go into battling, or start a new game, and I'm not sure which one to do.

If I start battling, there is a lot of twinking I need to do if I want to be competitive, and I'm not sure I have the patience for that. And it might be redundant given the presence of online battle simulators.

If I reset my game, all the work I've put into the game so far will be lost. Well, I'd like to trade my vets (or exclusives) to someone temporarily so I can keep them around for my new game. Probably not for use, but I've grown attached to my guys, confound it. :smallsmile:

What's your opinions on this conundrum?

tgva8889
2011-08-16, 02:16 AM
If I were to run mixtier, it'd be 0 Ubers, 2 OU, 2 UU, and 2 NU. Most Ubers are so much better than most UUs that it'd be pointless to include any UUs at all, and at that point we'd really just be playing Ubers-tier anyways, since the usable UUs are usable because you combine them with weather or because they carry a specific strategy that's good in Ubers. So Ubers will be banned from whatever I run, because I like to make more Pokemon viable, rather than less.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-16, 02:36 AM
If I were to run mixtier, it'd be 0 Ubers, 2 OU, 2 UU, and 2 NU. Most Ubers are so much better than most UUs that it'd be pointless to include any UUs at all, and at that point we'd really just be playing Ubers-tier anyways, since the usable UUs are usable because you combine them with weather or because they carry a specific strategy that's good in Ubers. So Ubers will be banned from whatever I run, because I like to make more Pokemon viable, rather than less.

That sounds great, actually, since there were things I wanted to use but was incredibly wary about because they were in lower tiers. Having to use lower tiers would actually force me to pick my favourites (that's how this works, right? You pick your favourite pokemon from each tier, load them up with damaging moves and Gem items and stuff and wail on one another? (:smalltongue:)) rather than what I think might work better.

tgva8889
2011-08-16, 02:58 AM
Actually, since I'm using Smogon Tiers, it'd actually be RU and not NU. But they're equivalent, basically "Pokemon that are lower than UU." The problem with doing mixtier is that 5th Gen Tiers aren't stable yet, so it'd be hard to determine what exactly would be a UU or RU.

I myself also prefer mixtier after seeing many a game played with it in 4th Gen. So I wanted to try it. Though I won't be playing if I run the tournament, I'll probably be around.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-16, 10:17 AM
I'm admittedly biased because I really want to just play regular OU, but I definitely agree that mixtier would be really hard to do.

PhantomFox
2011-08-16, 10:36 AM
Okay, decided to restart my game for fun. Can anyone hold my vets for a few hours so I can have them back as my personal little HOF?

0390 0776 2163

Dragonus45
2011-08-16, 02:38 PM
Just plain OU is about the easiest thing to go with. Probably the most fun as well. But at the same time, if we do mixtier i might be able to slip a blaziken in there somewhere.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-16, 03:02 PM
Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to use the likes of Golurk, Omanyte, Crawdaunt, non-Dreamworld Ditto (unless Dreamworld Ditto is out, in which case I will be happy as a Cloyster), Froslass (or really any Ghost type, I love 'em all) and Shiftry without feeling like I'm weakening myself.

But OU would be great, too. I'd just like to try mixtier like that at some point.

GoblinGilmartin
2011-08-16, 06:16 PM
I was wondering...what is the strongest non-level 100 pokemon you've ever owned? I for instance, once owned (literally) the worlds strongest snorlax. It had the egg moves of solar beam, earthquake, and seismic toss, both it's disposition and personality were strength alligned, and it had the pokerus. at level 45 it was one shoting high-fifties. Unfortunatley, i lost it. It may be stuck in my pearl game, or my gale of darkness game, i hope i can find it agian someday.... your turn.

Spartacus
2011-08-16, 06:19 PM
Snorlax isn't very impressive next to a Kyogre or Mewtwo.

Mc. Lovin'
2011-08-16, 06:29 PM
I think in pokemon online it doesn't really count if the abilities are out in-game? I sort of treat them as seperate entities. If you don't have to do special things to get certain abilities due to just choosing them, why should it apply to d/w abilities as well?

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-16, 06:32 PM
I think in pokemon online it doesn't really count if the abilities are out in-game? I sort of treat them as seperate entities. If you don't have to do special things to get certain abilities due to just choosing them, why should it apply to d/w abilities as well?

The ability still has to have already been released IRL.

Jothki
2011-08-16, 06:53 PM
What were its IVs and EVs, though?

Triscuitable
2011-08-16, 07:17 PM

Those aren't usable in Competitions, and are worthless in the Battle Frontier. Plus, high friendship + Return + High attack = crazy output of damage. Same for Snorlax + Leftovers in general. At a high level, Snorlax is a TANK.

My most powerful was an EV trained Crobat. Grinded to level 100, it was a masterful Pokemon, and tore up every competition I took it to. Not a SINGLE rare candy was used on it. Hatched from level 1 with a Friendly nature, it knew return, and carried a Poison Fang, and focused in high poison damage and lethal friendship moves.

Eldonauran
2011-08-16, 07:54 PM
I don't usually worry about a single best pokemon, but I've built a team that seems work fairly well. It's got fairly decent type coverage and limited weaknesses.

Electric flying (Emolga)
Water dragon (Kingdra)
Fire ground (Camerupt)
Fighting psychic (Gallade)
Grass steel (Ferrothorn)
Rock bug (Armaldo)

I generally tend to use Zapdos instead of Emolga, when I can.

Spartacus
2011-08-16, 07:59 PM
I have heard of exactly one of these pokemon. Clearly I have not played the newer pokemans.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-08-16, 08:05 PM
I have heard of exactly one of these pokemon. Clearly I have not played the newer pokemans.

Or the older ones. Three of the Pokemon mentioned in the thread are from Red, Blue, and Yellow. Two are from Gold and Silver, too.

Spartacus
2011-08-16, 08:19 PM
I recognize Kingdra, Snorlax, Crobat and Mewtwo from the first two gens. I am fairly certain no other pokemon in this thread are from the first two gens.

Also, I was referring specifically to the post directly above mine, the one with one second generation pokemon and a bevy of others.

tgva8889
2011-08-16, 08:36 PM
I was pretty sure Ditto is Uber with Dream World, actually.

Also, Blaziken is Uber, so mixtier would still prevent it from being used.

Either way, DW Pokemon that are not released wouldn't be allowed in an OU tournament anyways because those Pokemon aren't tiered for new abilities.

Shiftry is a beat in Sun, by the way. Even in OU.

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-08-16, 08:49 PM
Magikarp! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY) No Seriously.

Starwulf
2011-08-16, 08:49 PM
Here is a question: I'm not so much into pokemon that I understand all the terminology being tossed around here. what is this mixtier/other tier stuff, and what is UU, OU, RU, whateverU?

EifieFlare
2011-08-16, 08:55 PM
Here is a question: I'm not so much into pokemon that I understand all the terminology being tossed around here. what is this mixtier/other tier stuff, and what is UU, OU, RU, whateverU?

Tiers are where Pokemon are placed based on how useful and how common they are in the competitive metagame. Those that are considered "overpowered" for standard play are placed in the Uber tier; it's there that you typically find the Legendaries. Those that are very commonly seen and very good at their roles are placed in OU, or OverUsed. It progresses down the scale with BorderLine (too good for UU, but not enough for OU), UnderUsed, Rarely Used, and Never Used, with each tier giving a measure of how often a Pokemon is seen on the competitive scene. There's also a NFE tier, where most (not all, since some Pokemon are actually viable with the proper items, like Light Ball Pikachu) Not Fully Evolved Pokemon are placed.

The tiers also determine what can be used in a specific Pokemon battle. If two players agree on an OU battle, for instance, they can use everything from OU and below. Anything above OU (only Ubers in this case) is banned. Mix tier is, I think, a mix of all the tiers; whether it includes Uber or not is up to the organizer.

tgva8889
2011-08-16, 09:02 PM
Actually, there isn't really an NFE "tier," NFE is just a term for "Not Fully Evolved" that's used to describe those Pokemon. Especially now with Eviolite, most NFEs can just be placed into their proper tiers.

Mc. Lovin'
2011-08-16, 09:47 PM
is there a list of pokemon who's DW abilities have been released?

Ryuho Tsugu
2011-08-16, 09:55 PM
is there a list of pokemon who's DW abilities have been released?

http://www.serebii.net/games/hiddenabilityaccess.shtml

GoblinGilmartin
2011-08-16, 11:33 PM

yeah, well, those are both game-end, bragging rights legendaries....

ScionoftheVoid
2011-08-17, 01:59 AM
I was pretty sure Ditto is Uber with Dream World, actually.

Shiftry is a beat in Sun, by the way. Even in OU.

Really? I wouldn't have thought it was quite that powerful, but I could easily be wrong.

Huh, hadn't seen him mentioned and Bug type moves would destroy him. Disliking most of the other things that would go on a Sun team doesn't really help, of course.

Dragonus45
2011-08-17, 04:03 AM
Ditto is Uber mostly for the same reason that they banned Swift swim and Drizzle. Whiners, mostly people who wanted to spam swords dance and not get punished for it.

tgva8889
2011-08-17, 05:46 AM
Actually they banned Swift Swim and Drizzle because Swords Dance Ludicolo in Perma-Rain can sweep Ubers much less OU. Kingdra with Perma-Rain is so incredibly powerful. We already knew this, as the strategy was used in Ubers to great effect. Perma-Rain with Swift Swimmers is superbly overpowered. Thus why it is (and will remain) an Ubers-only strategy.

Eccentric Ditto with a Choice Scarf is the best revenge killer in the game because it's usually faster than whatever it's trying to kill and it usually has a great deal of strength with which to kill it. It's not confirmed Uber because Eccentric Ditto is unreleased, so I was wrong, but it might not be allowed anyways.

Hunter Noventa
2011-08-17, 05:49 AM
I have an EV-Trained Gallade that's pretty beastly. Haven't seen him in a while since he's on my Soul Silver cart and I last played Black. Need to get around to transferring mons over to that I guess.

Dragonus45
2011-08-17, 06:06 AM
Actually they banned Swift Swim and Drizzle because Swords Dance Ludicolo in Perma-Rain can sweep Ubers much less OU. Kingdra with Perma-Rain is so incredibly powerful. We already knew this, as the strategy was used in Ubers to great effect. Perma-Rain with Swift Swimmers is superbly overpowered. Thus why it is (and will remain) an Ubers-only strategy.

Eccentric Ditto with a Choice Scarf is the best revenge killer in the game because it's usually faster than whatever it's trying to kill and it usually has a great deal of strength with which to kill it. It's not confirmed Uber because Eccentric Ditto is unreleased, so I was wrong, but it might not be allowed anyways.

They banned swift swin and drizzle because they were sad little people who wanted the meta game to be more like 4th gen. I won't go into much more because its old history now and blah blah and the like.

tgva8889
2011-08-17, 06:23 AM
Part of it was also not wanting the metagame to be like Ubers, because that's what Ubers is for.

TSED
2011-08-17, 07:47 AM
My krookodile one-shotted N's reaugeuauge (the stupid legendary dragon thing). And then got moxie going on. While at level 47.

It had, according to bulbapedia, the highest possible strength for it (31 atk IV, 252 atk EV) and very close to the max speed. Combined with Earthquake being one of the best attacks in the game, STAB, and soft sand, krooksy got to be my opener. What a sweeper, what a sweeper. (Almost took out the entirety of N's team solo, until I was forced to switch out on his flying whatsit).

Other pokemon that have impressed me with their abilities: ambipom, darmanitan, own tempo lilligant, crustle.

Actually, yeah. Crustle is actually, really really surprisingly good. I used him as an opener on a team for some time and had great success with Stone Edge / Stealth Rock / X-Scissor / Shell Smash.

*Note, I stick to the "UU" tier and generally skip generations. I have basically no clue about 2nd or 4th gen mons.

DiscipleofBob
2011-08-17, 08:08 AM
It may not be the strongest out there, but in my Pokemon Black game, equally as awesome on my main team of Emboar (all hail Pigbeard the Mighty!), Krookodile, and Eelektross, I also used a Cottonee with Eviolite who managed to take out several of N's and Ghestis's teams on her own.

TSED
2011-08-17, 08:29 PM
It may not be the strongest out there, but in my Pokemon Black game, equally as awesome on my main team of Emboar (all hail Pigbeard the Mighty!), Krookodile, and Eelektross, I also used a Cottonee with Eviolite who managed to take out several of N's and Ghestis's teams on her own.

Whimsicott / Cottonee are actually pretty awesome. Whim's ability allows it to set up a sub/seed strategy that ignores other speeds, thanks to the added priority.

Not to mention toxic.

Great pokemon. Absolutely fantastic.

Eruantion
2011-08-17, 10:53 PM
I have a Blitzle with an atrocious Defense score. It almost can't make it through a battle, and it's holding the team back. Does anyone know what I can do, apart from using items, to raise its Defense?

OracleofWuffing
2011-08-17, 11:42 PM
I have a Blitzle with an atrocious Defense score. It almost can't make it through a battle, and it's holding the team back. Does anyone know what I can do, apart from using items, to raise its Defense?
Blitzle, as a species, just has low defenses- even Pidove has a bulkier base Defense stat. You can try levelling it up to evolve it, or using the TM you get from the 4th Gym to teach it an attack that lets it deal damage and then switch out, preventing him from getting hit. Even though it's a non-damaging move, the guaranteed paralysis from Thunder Wave goes a ways to helping you last longer, too- shoddy defenses don't matter on turns when you don't get hit.

An alternative might be to try Emolga out, he's got better defenses than Blitzle but packs a smaller punch than Zebstrika. There's also Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross, but that one takes a while to raise, or even Stunfisk, the greatest looking pokemon. That about does it for Gen 5 non-legendary electric types. INTENTIONAL LACK OF GALVANTULA

TSED
2011-08-18, 04:03 AM
Blitzle, as a species, just has low defenses- even Pidove has a bulkier base Defense stat. You can try levelling it up to evolve it, or using the TM you get from the 4th Gym to teach it an attack that lets it deal damage and then switch out, preventing him from getting hit. Even though it's a non-damaging move, the guaranteed paralysis from Thunder Wave goes a ways to helping you last longer, too- shoddy defenses don't matter on turns when you don't get hit.

An alternative might be to try Emolga out, he's got better defenses than Blitzle but packs a smaller punch than Zebstrika. There's also Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross, but that one takes a while to raise, or even Stunfisk, the greatest looking pokemon. That about does it for Gen 5 non-legendary electric types. INTENTIONAL LACK OF GALVANTULA

As an aside, I do think that Emolga is a pretty tough pokemon, but that's probably more because I *really* like the flying type.

Prime32
2011-08-18, 06:02 AM
I have a Blitzle with an atrocious Defense score. It almost can't make it through a battle, and it's holding the team back. Does anyone know what I can do, apart from using items, to raise its Defense?It gets better when it evolves. Also, Blitzle can pretty much sweep Chargestone Cave by itself as long as it knows Flame Charge. (lol bug+steel types who spam electric moves)

Mc. Lovin'
2011-08-18, 08:15 AM
Exile it to the box ... FOREVER

DiscipleofBob
2011-08-18, 11:58 AM
I swept the entire Flying gym with a freshly caught Tynamo. Didn't even evolve in the gym.

Prime32
2011-08-18, 12:02 PM
I swept the entire Flying gym with a freshly caught Tynamo. Didn't even evolve in the gym.I used a Sawk that knew Rock Slide. Yes, it takes double damage from Flying. It still killed most of them.

Qwertystop
2011-08-18, 12:15 PM
More on my vote-team game!

I beat the Electric gym first try, around level 25 for all, using a lot of super potions and Pursuit. I forgot to take notes, as I was on a plane to Munich at the time. I got to the next gym, nothing stands out in memory. Sorry I don't have as much to say.

Linkavitch
2011-08-18, 01:03 PM
I'mma working on an Emerald run with (let's see if I can remember)

Swampert: 37
Skarmory
Beautifly
Trapinch
Numel
Nuzleaf

The last five all around 30. I'm on my way to Gym number 6. This is only the second Emerald run I've done, with the first being a Blaziken one. I realized when I was planning this one that pretty much every single game I do I get a gyarados for the water-type, so I just decided to start with a good water-type.

Fredaintdead
2011-08-18, 01:43 PM
I used a Sawk that knew Rock Slide. Yes, it takes double damage from Flying. It still killed most of them.

Can't quite remember how I did it, but I think I used Galvantula for the most part, might have thrown in my Gurdurr with Rock Slide as back up at some point.
Anyway, currently attempting to set up a full team for the E4 rematches.
Currently have:
Alakazam (100) - Psychic/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Recover
Electivire (78) - Brick Break/Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Earthquake
Samurott (70) - Slash/Waterfall/Surf/X-Scissor
Krookodile (70) - Earthquake/Outrage/Crunch/Brick Break
Infernape (71) - Close Combat/Flare Blitz/Flamethrower/ThunderPunch
Archeops (70) - Acrobatics/Dragon Claw/Rock Slide/Fly

Now, I'm not sure if I should level them all up to make a team of 75+, or whether I'm ready for them now (I'm always overestimating the content, so I end up overlevelling).

Note: Electivire is EV trained (252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP) and Infernape is EV trained (126 Atk, 126 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP)

Just looking for a little advice (and perhaps validation).

tgva8889
2011-08-18, 04:30 PM
I feel like your level 100 Alakazam plus a bunch of higher than 70s will be enough to take out the Elite 4 easily.

On one hand, they'll be higher level. On the other hand, you also have access to infinite Hyper Potions, Revives, and Full Restores, so you should still be able to crush them.

breakdownjason
2011-08-20, 09:01 AM
I got a Celebi, I got a Celebi, I got a Celebi, hey hey hey hey! :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-08-20, 09:08 AM
I got a Celebi, I got a Celebi, I got a Celebi, hey hey hey hey! :smallbiggrin:

?

What the heck did you trade for it? Because their aren't any new legal ones floating around ...

breakdownjason
2011-08-20, 09:46 AM

*Points up at FantasyFoxMan's OP* So it's... errr.... Legalish? Maybe? Got a perfect IV'd Slowking through that website too... :smallsmile:

And since nothing else seems to be going on how about a new team to rate? I wasn't sure of Celebi's legality in OU but I assumed he may fit in there right now.

Celebi
Brave nature (the only downside to mine)
Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk
Natural Cure
Psychic
Recover
Leech Seed
Heal Bell
Cleric set that I figured I'd try out. I may switch out the Psychic for something with a bit better coverage. Thoughts?

Heatran
Docile nature (Again, not the greatest of natures but the IV's were good)
(Whatever berry is used to halve damage from Earth attacks)
252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 6 HP
Flash Fire
Lava Plume
Earth Power
Protect
Torment
Ok, so the deal with this set is to switch him in on something that can't hurt him, wait for them to counter then hit the counter with a torment on the turn they come in. Most counters will only carry one Super Effective move on him and he can Protect on those turns and hit them with Lava Plume or Earth Power on the other turns. A neat little trick for an underused move like Torment I think.

Togekiss
Calm Nature
Lum Berry
252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 6 SDef
Serene Grace
Morning Sun
Thunder Wave
Air Slash
Aura Sphere
Para-Flinch Togekiss is just nasty with Serene Grace boosted Air Slash.

Feraligatr
Jolly Nature
Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Torrent (:smalltongue:)
Ice Fang
Superpower
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Set up Dragon Dance sweeper.

Spiritomb
Calm Nature
Bright Powder (needed the leftovers on Celebi)
252 Def / 252 SpDef / 6 HP
Pressure
Confuse Ray
Will-O-Wisp
Dark Pulse
Pain Split
Running him as a mixed Wall (I got 31 IV's in Def, SAtk AND SDef). Dual status and Pain Split to heal. Nothing is immune to dark so it works as the only attack move of the set

Cloyster
Impish Nature
Focus Sash
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Def
Skill Link
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Razor Shell
Shell Smash
Gods do I love Shell Smash Cloyster. Run him with a Focus Sash to make sure he survives turn 1 and sweep from there. Icicle Spear/Skill Link/Shell Smash will WRECK anything that doesn't resist it (and even damage things that do pretty significantly). Can also be used as an emergency physical wall if the need arises.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-20, 01:44 PM
If you can find one, Celebi is certainly OU-legal. Mew is UU, so that should tell you something about a Pokemon with worse typing and a worse moveset.

breakdownjason
2011-08-20, 02:05 PM
If you can find one, Celebi is certainly OU-legal. Mew is UU, so that should tell you something about a Pokemon with worse typing and a worse moveset.

Fair enough, his typing is pretty terrible, but he runs a very good Cleric set, plus it helps pull in 'mons for my Heatran to switch in on and set up his strategy so I think he's a good fit for my team. Also 29 HP IV's and 24 Def IV's aren't very bad when you have 100 base in each of those stats.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-20, 02:23 PM
Fair enough, his typing is pretty terrible, but he runs a very good Cleric set, plus it helps pull in 'mons for my Heatran to switch in on and set up his strategy so I think he's a good fit for my team. Also 29 HP IV's and 24 Def IV's aren't very bad when you have 100 base in each of those stats.

I'm not saying he's bad, he is a very good Pokemon, I just mean he's certainly not Uber material.

breakdownjason
2011-08-20, 02:45 PM
Oh no, don't take it that way, I wasn't trying to imply that you thought he was a bad 'mon. His typing really is terrible and there are plenty of better OU (and arguable some BL) that are better than 'lil Celebi. I mean, 1 x4 weakness and 6 x2's? Against types that are pretty common? :smallyuk: But he can still perform admirably in multiple roles since he learns a lot of support moves and Nasty Plot Calm Mind AND Baton Pass so he can either sweep or support or pass buffs.

I guess Nasty Plot was only on the most recent giveaway... Oops... :smallredface:

Fredaintdead
2011-08-20, 03:49 PM
I feel like your level 100 Alakazam plus a bunch of higher than 70s will be enough to take out the Elite 4 easily.

On one hand, they'll be higher level. On the other hand, you also have access to infinite Hyper Potions, Revives, and Full Restores, so you should still be able to crush them.

Fair enough. I did actually try to see if Alakazam could defeat Cynthia (to see if I could use her as a quick grinding tool). Unfortunately, the plan failed. I still won, but it required using the rest of my team as cannon fodder to revive Alakazam every now and again.
I'll probably still get 1 or 2 more levels on most of them, but I definitely feel ready. :)

tgva8889
2011-08-20, 04:25 PM
Actually, from my understanding Celebi is also UU these days. Jirachi is OU.

I mean, Deoxys-D and S are legal in OU on Smogon.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-08-20, 05:02 PM
I was just thinking ... Why isn't Rampardos on every TR team that's ever been made?

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-20, 05:13 PM
I was just thinking ... Why isn't Rampardos on every TR team that's ever been made?

Priority, especially with Scizor's dominance.

Melvni
2011-08-20, 06:00 PM
Actually, from my understanding Celebi is also UU these days. Jirachi is OU.

I mean, Deoxys-D and S are legal in OU on Smogon.

Deoxys-D is UU as well.

In addition to what dragonsamurai said, it also faces competition from Rhyperior who, despite having 25 less base attack, has much better defensive stats (115/130/55 vs. 97/60/50), STAB Earthquake, and 18 less base speed.

FantasyFoxMan
2011-08-20, 06:13 PM
*Points up at FantasyFoxMan's OP*

Heh. :smalltongue:

On the subject of Make a Wish GTS, I was scrolling through the "Request a Pokemon" page, and something happened to cross my mind in the top 3 Pokemon listed:

A Zekrom was amongst the top 3. Now, that wouldn't normally be a problem, I love Zekrom as much as the next guy. However, my eyes glanced onto what its movelist consists of- Fusion Bolt, Thunder, Draco Meteor and Blast Burn. Are people seriously that stupid? Zekrom cannot learn Blast Burn by ANY means. ...At least, I think it can't. I checked Bulbapedia, and there aren't any Event Zekrom that learn it, nor is there any existence of Blast Burn being in its moveset, so...

But yeah, methinks my Mild Storm Drain Shellos has a LONG way to go before it'll ever reach the top of the list. :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2011-08-20, 07:36 PM
Blast Burn isn't only not on Zekrom's movelist, it's a pretty bad move for it to learn even if it could. It runs off of its lower (though still formidable) SpAtk, and is a Hyper Beam-type move. The former wouldn't disqualify it out of hand, but it helps the latter push it over the edge.

tgva8889
2011-08-21, 12:07 AM
Okay, new idea. What should I breed next? Once I have my Conkeldurr ready to go, I'll need something new to train up.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-08-21, 11:55 AM
Ferrothorn. Or Jellicent if you already have one ...

So, lovely GITP associates, I come to you for advice on a team.

Standard Excadrill
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Rock Slide
Move 4: X-Scissor
Item: Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Mixed Tyranitar
Move 1: Thunderbolt
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Superpower
Move 4: Flamethrower
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

Physical Mamoswine
Move 1: Ice Shard
Move 2: Icicle Drop
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Stone Edge
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Snow Cloak
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Standard Reuniclus
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Pyschic / Psycho Shock
Move 4: Focus Blast
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD

Utility Jellicent
Move 1: Scald
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Will-O-Wisp
Move 4: Taunt
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

A couple of things ...

1.) I need a 6th
2.) Should I sub Jellicent?
3.) I can't use Legendary Pokemon, Garchomp, Salamence, or Ferrothorn.
4.) These guys aren't actually bred yet, and I have a fairly good Blissey already ... Can I work it in, or is that dumb>

Talvereaux
2011-08-21, 06:14 PM
I like bold more than modest for CM-Reuniclus, personally. I find running maximum physical defense, in covering CM's defensive blind spot, is more useful than the modest boost to raw power.

boj0
2011-08-21, 06:33 PM
Wow, no Chomp, Ferrothorn or Lati@s? Really the only options I would throw out there are:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish
Poison Heal
252 HP/184 Def/74 Spe
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Protect
-Swords Dance

or

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Modest
Levitate
112 HP/252 SpAt/144 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Gliscor is a wonderful sandstorm tank, able to set up on an wreck Ferrothorn (+4 EQ is a 2HKO) and generally able to stop most Fighting types in their tracks, while Rotom Wash is a great bulky sweeper able to cripple opposing sweepers and crush non-resistant Pokes.

tgva8889
2011-08-22, 01:19 AM
Garchomp is Uber, actually, so it's probably a good thing he doesn't have it on his team.

Blissey is a wonderful Pokemon. It can be boring, though. Really, are you trying to be offensive, balanced, or defensive? If offensive, there are probably better choices than Blissey. Otherwise, maybe Blissey could find a spot.

Also, I already have Ferrothorn and Jellicent ready to go. Reuniclus, however, is not and I forgot I was doing that.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-22, 10:52 AM
PEACH:

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Jolly
252 HP/4 Def/252 Speed
Reflect
Light Screen
Stealth Rock
Taunt

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive
232 Atk/24 SpAtk/252 Speed
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Dragon Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Taunt

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Superpower

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Rock Polish
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Light Clay
Calm
252 HP/96 Def/160 SpDef
Reflect
Light Screen
HP Fire
Volt Switch

tgva8889
2011-08-22, 11:25 AM
Having Volt Switch as the only Electric-Type move on your Magnezone is sure to result in feel-bad moments where you just want Thunderbolt. Just switch out normally, you're setting up screens and you have pretty some pretty bulky sweepers.

Having both Dragon Dance Haxorus and Dragon Dance Salamence seems totally completely unnecessary. You don't really want to have 4 setup sweepers on the same team, especially when none of them have enough defensive stats to really wall anything. I'd replace the Haxorus with something else.

Mando Knight
2011-08-22, 11:32 AM
It... depends. According to a stickied post on the Smogon community, 'Mence is still allowed in the Gen V OU.

At any rate, if you're feeling Salamence withdrawal, the OD of the OG is all Multiscaled up and ready to brawl. Roost and Leftovers means it can stay healthy even after Stealth Rock, and Multiscale essentially doubles the required power to OHKO it without entry/passive damage. Plus, with access to Roost and several Rain-boosted moves (STAB Hurricane, as well as Thunder and several Water moves) it makes a formidable rain-tank.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-22, 11:37 AM
Having Volt Switch as the only Electric-Type move on your Magnezone is sure to result in feel-bad moments where you just want Thunderbolt. Just switch out normally, you're setting up screens and you have pretty some pretty bulky sweepers.

Having both Dragon Dance Haxorus and Dragon Dance Salamence seems totally completely unnecessary. You don't really want to have 4 setup sweepers on the same team, especially when none of them have enough defensive stats to really wall anything. I'd replace the Haxorus with something else.

That's the point of the team; screens provide enough time to set up, and countering them is nearly impossible, since while it might be possible for Skarmory, etc. to counter one or two of them, it can't take on 4 sweepers. It's an accepted, but rare, team style dating back to late Generation 4, with the standard being DS Azelf, DD Tar, SD Lucario, DD Mence (back when it was still legal), DD Nite, and SD Scizor. It had a quick flash of greatness, but then later died out due to the creation of Bulky Offense teams, mainly designed to counter the style. However, in 5th gen, the emergence of more powerful sweepers, as well as Bulky Offense teams not being as dominant, allows the team to have decent chances.

Prime32
2011-08-22, 11:48 AM
Are there any mons with Natural Cure/Regenerator who can also use U-Turn or Volt Switch?

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-22, 11:53 AM
Are there any mons with Natural Cure/Regenerator who can also use U-Turn or Volt Switch?

Mienshou can have Regenerator and learns U-Turn.

tgva8889
2011-08-22, 12:05 PM
That's the point of the team; screens provide enough time to set up, and countering them is nearly impossible, since while it might be possible for Skarmory, etc. to counter one or two of them, it can't take on 4 sweepers. It's an accepted, but rare, team style dating back to late Generation 4, with the standard being DS Azelf, DD Tar, SD Lucario, DD Mence (back when it was still legal), DD Nite, and SD Scizor. It had a quick flash of greatness, but then later died out due to the creation of Bulky Offense teams, mainly designed to counter the style. However, in 5th gen, the emergence of more powerful sweepers, as well as Bulky Offense teams not being as dominant, allows the team to have decent chances.

Actually I've seen a great deal of Balanced teams. Also, still see issue with Volt Switch being your only Electric-type move on Magnezone. Probably want Bolt instead. Also probably want a different sweeper than Haxorus, who actually just does the same exact thing as Salamence except with less bulk or Earthquake immunity.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-22, 12:12 PM
Actually I've seen a great deal of Balanced teams. Also, still see issue with Volt Switch being your only Electric-type move on Magnezone. Probably want Bolt instead. Also probably want a different sweeper than Haxorus, who actually just does the same exact thing as Salamence except with less bulk or Earthquake immunity.

That's why Haxorus is there; Double Dragon is a long-accepted strategy, due to Dragons massive Attack and powerful STAB. Point taken on Magnezone, though.

Mando Knight
2011-08-22, 12:14 PM
However, in 5th gen, the emergence of more powerful sweepers, as well as Bulky Offense teams not being as dominant, allows the team to have decent chances.

Ah, perhaps you need to look at the metagame for Gen V again. Bulk is a dominant force: Haxorus and Excadrill may be powerful, but Conkeldurr is powerful and tough, and Jellicent and Ferrothorn are massive walls that you need to prepare for.

dragonsamurai77
2011-08-22, 12:17 PM
Ah, perhaps you need to look at the metagame for Gen V again. Bulk is a dominant force: Haxorus and Excadrill may be powerful, but Conkeldurr is powerful and tough, and Jellicent and Ferrothorn are massive walls that you need to prepare for.

True enough, I didn't realize that. Any advice, then?

Mando Knight
2011-08-22, 12:24 PM
Dragonite. It can run DDance/Outrage/Fire Punch/Roost with Multiscale to provide slightly less power than Salamence, but far more bulk. For survivability, pack Leftovers instead of another Life Orb.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-08-22, 02:22 PM
Garchomp is Uber, actually, so it's probably a good thing he doesn't have it on his team.

Blissey is a wonderful Pokemon. It can be boring, though. Really, are you trying to be offensive, balanced, or defensive? If offensive, there are probably better choices than Blissey. Otherwise, maybe Blissey could find a spot.

Also, I already have Ferrothorn and Jellicent ready to go. Reuniclus, however, is not and I forgot I was doing that.

And no Blissey ... lol. This is an IRL battle, and we made a rule where we had to use previously unknown Pokemon. I forgot he knew about Blissey ... Crap ...