PDA

View Full Version : D&D Monster and character tokens

Luzahn
2011-07-27, 11:59 AM
I'm just curious, what do people use to represent characters and monsters on a game board? I've only got a few pc figurines that came with an old starter 3.5 game, and was wondering where to find more.

Vandicus
2011-07-27, 12:00 PM
Its possible to buy more at some game stores and book stores. They aren't exactly cheap though. You can also use dice, food, legos, etc. instead of miniatures.

Malimar
2011-07-27, 03:17 PM
Years ago, before I started playing D&D, I always dreamed of putting my LEGO collection to use as D&D minis and terrain. Others have done this excellently. I never actually got around to it.

When I did start playing D&D, I bought D&D minis for awhile, until I noticed I was running out of money.

Then I started buying Mage Knight and Dreamblade minis for cheap from Troll and Toad, cutting them off their bases, and gluing them to new bases, as detailed here (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/06/adventures-in-rebasing.html) and here (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/06/adventures-in-rebasing-2-payoff.html).

Luzahn
2011-07-27, 06:48 PM
Ahh, i wondered that those were called, my friend had converted some of those.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-27, 06:52 PM
I always wanted to make the dungeons using lego sets, and have the players actually move through them. I am not really a lego person though, and that sounds...Expensive.

Luzahn
2011-07-27, 06:58 PM
Aw damn, I bought one of these random miniatures packs. Random things are fun, and now i want to buy more.

Delcor
2011-07-27, 07:01 PM
At Gen Con, they had a booth where you could get 5 minis for 4$ or something like that, it may have been even cheaper.

My group got a bunch of minis, and we got enough to cover staple monsters (kobolds/orcs) and our characters. To cover all the other mobs that aren't in our humble pile of assorted minis, we use wooden tiles. There are multiple tiles of each size fitted perfectly to our grid, for medium, large, huge, gargantuan, and even one colossal wood square. They work very well, especially because they are numbered, and flat, so you can mark them and keep track of them.

Nat
2011-07-27, 07:12 PM
I put masking tape over pennies and wrote letters on the tape to indicate various characters. Works well enough and is about as cheap as it gets.

Luzahn
2011-07-27, 07:14 PM
But they cost at least one cent each. :smallsmile: