PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape Question

Orsen
2011-07-27, 02:58 PM
One of my players is playing a wildshape variant Ranger. He's Ranger 7/Warshaper 2/Master of Many Forms 1. For our first session he was becoming a Fleshraker dinosaur and using leaping pounce, rake, and it's poison. He was researching MoMF and wildshape in general and he came across a druid spell and a MoMF class feature (Extraordinary Wildshape, lvl 7) that seem to say he shouldn't be able to be using a creatures extraordinary abilities when he's wildshaping. Is this correct?
If so, how does one make the best use of wildshape if they can't use the creatures extraordinary abilities?

Gavinfoxx
2011-07-27, 03:02 PM
Do the charts in this thread help?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3479.0

Cog
2011-07-27, 03:04 PM
You do gain the extraordinary attacks of the new form, just not the extraordinary qualities. I'm not looking at the stat block right now, but I'm pretty sure those are all valid.

DeAnno
2011-07-27, 03:08 PM
An extraordinary special attack is different from an extraordinary ability. (Abilities are listed under "Special Qualities" in the monster entry). Wild Shape gives Ex Special Attacks by default, but not Ex Special Qualities.

Some examples of possible extraordinary Special Qualities would be Scent or Fast Healing, whearas Special Attacks might be a Trip like the Wolf's or the Fleshraker's pounce.

tyckspoon
2011-07-27, 03:12 PM
Wildshape is based on Alternate Form. The relevant lines in Alternate Form are:

# The creature gains the natural weapons, natural armor, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
# The creature retains the special qualities of its original form. It does not gain any special qualities of its new form.

You do get the pounce, rakes, and poison; the qualities you don't get are usually things like special senses, regeneration/fast healing, and the special type traits of the more exotic wildshapes- without the Enhance Wildshape spell or the Master of Many Forms ability, for example, turning into a Plant doesn't give you crit immunity (because Alternate Form doesn't change your Type, so you need special rules to acquire Plant Traits.)