PDA

View Full Version : Factotum and Cunning Surge Question

JKTrickster
2011-07-27, 04:08 PM
What is the action needed to activate Cunning Surge? The book doesn't specify and from the SRD, Extraordinary Abilities take a standard action. But that makes no sense, since that would mean giving up a standard action for another one.

So, by RAW, does this ability do nothing? Or am I missing something here?

Curious
2011-07-27, 04:13 PM
You need to spend Inspiration Points to activate the ability, and I believe spending Inspiration Points doesn't even take an action.

JKTrickster
2011-07-27, 07:39 PM
Really? Where does it say that? I can't find any mention of what action it takes to spend Inspiration Points.....

JaronK
2011-07-27, 07:42 PM
Spending Inspiration Points isn't an action any more than spending spell slots is an action.

JaronK

Urpriest
2011-07-27, 07:45 PM
Extraordinary abilities are by default not an action, see the SRD. It's only if they explicitly take an action that they default to a standard action.

marcielle
2011-07-27, 08:00 PM
Also note that means you can keep surging for as long as you can pay inspiration. With enough Fonts of inspiration you can do some serious burst damage with iajutsu focus and a quickrazor.

JKTrickster
2011-07-27, 08:08 PM
Extraordinary abilities are by default not an action, see the SRD. It's only if they explicitly take an action that they default to a standard action.

Ooooh okay. This really helps a lot!

And thanks to everybody who answered!