PDA

View Full Version : Good templates for a Warlock?

senrath
2011-07-27, 04:20 PM
I'm currently putting together a Warlock, and can have up to LA +3 for free. The base race is a Strongheart Halfling. What would be some good templates?

Prime32
2011-07-27, 04:29 PM
Draconic + Saint?

senrath
2011-07-27, 04:39 PM
Saint, while certainly interesting, doesn't really work for this game.

Socratov
2011-07-27, 04:47 PM
well, it depends on what build you will go, and the ability scores you will focus on.

I think you can find a lot of templates in the mosnter manual, and dragon magazines. I suggest half-nymph(dragon mag. 313 p95) or half-fey(fiend folio p89) when focused on cha, and half-fire elemental(manual of the Planes p188) when dex focused.

senrath
2011-07-27, 04:47 PM
I suppose I should've specified. I'm aiming for Dex focused at the moment.

Xtomjames
2011-07-27, 04:56 PM
Half-dragon necromental (libris mortis) is a good combo.

A chimeric creature (MM2) as a base template.

Not a template but great for a warlock is the feat spellfire wielder from Tome of Battle.

Edit: Dex based; Half-Vampire, Half-Dragon, Half-Fiend, while no bonuses to Dex Shadow Creatures from the Manual of the Planes would give you some good benefits. Shadowwalker from Unapproachable East gives a +2 to dex.

flumphy
2011-07-27, 05:09 PM
A few more specifics on what you're actually trying to build would help. Are you going for the standard hellfire warlock? Something else? Anyway, depending on what route you're going, the Dark template from ToM could be of use.

senrath
2011-07-27, 05:12 PM
The current build is Warlock 12//Ranger 5/Enlightened Spirit 7. I'm focusing on my eldritch blast, but probably aren't going to be using that many things that require a saving throw.

Xtomjames
2011-07-27, 05:21 PM
If you're 12th level Warlock then focus on beefing up your Use Magic Device, Knowledge Arcana and Knowledge Religion. Instead of worrying about templates, use your imbue ability to make unlimited magic items for yourself, like a rod of spell-like ability metamagic. Each time you use your eldritch blast you can empower, heighten, maximize, and widen it's effects. When the rod runs out re-imbue it.

senrath
2011-07-27, 05:23 PM
...okay, I'm going to ask you to stay on topic. Instead of telling me what you think I should be doing, just answer my question. Neither of your posts in this thread have been even remotely helpful.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-27, 05:32 PM
If you're after Dex, a Winged Creature gains +4 Dex and +2 Wisdom along with a Fly Speed. Only LA +2, and you can find it in Savage Species.

If you're getting +3 LA for free, I'd consider slapping the Draconic Template on there as well. It's a solid +1 LA, and would work well with the Winged Creature template.

Silva Stormrage
2011-07-27, 05:35 PM
Radiant Creature (Dragon Mag 321): gives +4 dex and + 6 cha for 3 lvl adjustment as well as some spell like abilities and fast healing 2.

There really aren't many templates that give dex though.

If you could change your race a pixie might be good too with + 8 dex and greater invisibility letting you attack flatfooted enemies with touch attacks.

NNescio
2011-07-27, 05:38 PM
If you're 12th level Warlock then focus on beefing up your Use Magic Device, Knowledge Arcana and Knowledge Religion. Instead of worrying about templates, use your imbue ability to make unlimited magic items for yourself, like a rod of spell-like ability metamagic. Each time you use your eldritch blast you can empower, heighten, maximize, and widen it's effects. When the rod runs out re-imbue it.

He gets 3 LAs worth of templates for free anyway, so why not?

Edit: @OP: Draconic Half-Fey? (+2 Str, +2 Dex, +6 Cha, +2 Wis, Claws, Flight = 2 x Ground Speed [Good Manoeuvrability), immunity to enchantment, and a smattering of SLAs, for LA +3.)

Edit^2: Draconic Unseelie Fey Half-Fey; +4 Dex, -2 Con, +8 Cha, +2 Wis; Claws, Flight = 2 x Ground Speed (Good), immunity to enchantment, has a bunch of SLAs which scale with HD (up to Otto's Irresistible Dance at 19 HD), and can have up to DR 15/Cold Iron.

If the Winter aspect is chosen for the Unseelie template, the character also has an aura which inflicts a morale penalty to saves equal to his Cha mod to all non-fey creatures in a 5-ft radius. Ouch.

Unseelie Fey is a LA+0 template. Yeah, Dragon Compendium is kinda silly like that.

Your alignment will end up being Evil though.

flumphy
2011-07-27, 05:44 PM
If you can get your hands on the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, the white dragonspawn template might also be worth looking at.

dextercorvia
2011-07-27, 07:59 PM
The Dark Template would be good, or even the Shadow template that it is a lesser version of.

Ernir
2011-07-27, 08:17 PM
Dark (ToM) + Half-Fey (Fiend Folio)? Sneaky + SLAs + ability scores you want.

Woodling? Nothing dexy about it, but those immunities take a load off your back (nontrivial to get on a 'lock) and may fit that Ranger thing you have.

senrath
2011-07-27, 09:15 PM
Woodling would be fun, but this is a fire themed dungeon...

Anyway, I've settled on a Draconic Petal. Thanks for your help, folks.