PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an Illithid Bloodline?

faceroll
2011-07-27, 07:56 PM
Anyone have an idea for what a illithid bloodline would look like?

I am thinking stats that would get bumped would be int, cha, and wis or con in that order. Wild Talent/Psionic Talent feat would be a special ability somewhere, as would telepathy. How would those line up?

slaydemons
2011-07-27, 08:08 PM
Anyone have an idea for what a illithid bloodline would look like?

I am thinking stats that would get bumped would be int, cha, and wis or con in that order. Wild Talent/Psionic Talent feat would be a special ability somewhere, as would telepathy. How would those line up?

I don't think cha would go with it, most people want to run away from squid thingies, and they tend to want to flay your mind

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-27, 08:13 PM
And it completely ignores the fluff on how Illithids reproduce. You know the whole ceremorphosis thing that was introduced in Lords of Madness.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-27, 08:18 PM
And it completely ignores the fluff on how Illithids reproduce. You know the whole ceremorphosis thing that was introduced in Lords of Madness.

But one of the ones that didn't transform all the way could have a child. Or go the (creepy) Neolithid+Dragon on one side and Human+Dragon on the other, getting you a half dragon, 1 quarter Ithiliad 1 quarter human.

faceroll
2011-07-27, 08:25 PM
I don't think cha would go with it, most people want to run away from squid thingies, and they tend to want to flay your mind

That's not how charisma works.

Also not how bloodline work.

Luckmann
2011-07-27, 09:48 PM
Yeah, you could have almost anything be a "Bloodline". All it really means is that you have some kind of far-off influence.

Blame it on whatever.

Psyren
2011-07-27, 09:58 PM
I don't think "Wis" when I think of Illithids, personally - stat blocks be damned.

Several sources that predate LoM mention Ceremorphosis. (Fiend Folio describes the process and was printed 2 years prior, for instance.)

Lord Ruby34
2011-07-27, 10:03 PM
Ah, Lords of Madness was the first one I saw so I assumed it was the first. My bad.

Oh, and faceroll when I think Bloodlines I automatically think ancestry, I actually had to go back and check before I realized that it didn't always mean what I thought it did.

faceroll
2011-07-27, 10:16 PM
Oh, and faceroll when I think Bloodlines I automatically think ancestry, I actually had to go back and check before I realized that it didn't always mean what I thought it did.

Half the bloodlines involve polymorph, practically.

slaydemons
2011-07-27, 10:42 PM
Cha is your force of personality, you don't tend to show people your personality when your eating their heads, Though doing so eating minds and such makes you intelligent and have more wisdom, I still don't see what cha does for the flayers except its thought of as a mental stat(which you seem to be trying to boost). I think it should be wisdom and intelligence those are both good idea's. I would have to dabble in blood lines and read what others get, but I think the natural mind read should also impart to these bloodlines.

faceroll
2011-07-27, 10:49 PM
Psyren- yeah, wisdom doesn't really seem very Flayer-y. Maybe Int, Cha and Con or Dex? Dex? They got 14 of it.

Cha is your force of personality, you don't tend to show people your personality when your eating their heads, Though doing so eating minds and such makes you intelligent and have more wisdom, I still don't see what cha does for the flayers except its thought of as a mental stat(which you seem to be trying to boost). I think it should be wisdom and intelligence those are both good idea's. I would have to dabble in blood lines and read what others get, but I think the natural mind read should also impart to these bloodlines.

Mind Flayers come with 17 charisma, and their psionic powers' DCs are charisma based. The psionic ones from LoM are psions, but I think there is ample precedent that the illithids possess boatloads of charisma and an overwhelming force of personality. Their mindblast ability is also Cha based, even the psionic ones.

slaydemons
2011-07-27, 11:18 PM
ehhhh.... I must not of read them. but I know what they loo like and what they do... sorry my logical assumption, and I thought they could read minds, simular to how dopplergangers can read minds

UserClone
2011-07-28, 01:45 AM
Hm, well you could start by looking at the bloodline feats in Dragon Mag Compendium, seeing how they compare to the PF Bloodlines, and tweaking the feat version in that direction until you come up with something on par with the PF versions.

Chess435
2011-07-28, 02:10 AM
If you want, I can homebrew one and have it up in the morning!

faceroll
2011-07-28, 12:31 PM
If you want, I can homebrew one and have it up in the morning!

That sounds dandy!

mootoall
2011-07-28, 01:49 PM
Wait, do you mean UA bloodline levels, PF Sorcerer bloodlines, bloodline feats ...

faceroll
2011-07-29, 09:07 PM
Wait, do you mean UA bloodline levels, PF Sorcerer bloodlines, bloodline feats ...

UA bloodline levels. Forgot that there were so many....

CockroachTeaParty
2011-07-29, 09:53 PM
Based off of the fluff in Lords of Madness, someone with illithid ancestry might actually be someone or something that will eventually evolve into actual mind flayers, since they're actually from the future. Having an illithid bloodline might mean you are literally a mind flayer ancestor.

UserClone
2011-07-29, 10:04 PM
Based off of the fluff in Lords of Madness, someone with illithid ancestry might actually be someone or something that will eventually evolve into actual mind flayers, since they're actually from the future. Having an illithid bloodline might mean you are literally a mind flayer ancestor.

It's like you took a bunch of awesome, and swept it into a great big pile, because that is a whole pile of awesome.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-29, 10:05 PM
Half the bloodlines involve polymorph, practically.

Bu- How- Nev- I don't know what you're talking about. *Whistles*

Sounds interesting, but I can't find it. What page?

CockroachTeaParty
2011-07-30, 09:23 AM
Sounds interesting, but I can't find it. What page?

Page 70 of Lords of Madness, beginning at 'The Whispering Shadow.' It's a rough description of the mind flayers' 'background.' Basically, they are from a doomed future. They migrated to the past to escape their own annihilation, and also to paradoxically ensure their own rise to power once again.

The 'illithid heritage as mind flayer ancestor' theory has been used to explain things like illithid heritage feats, and the flayerspawn psychic prestige class, things that would otherwise make no sense when ceremorphosis is taken into consideration.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-30, 11:11 AM
Page 70 of Lords of Madness, beginning at 'The Whispering Shadow.' It's a rough description of the mind flayers' 'background.' Basically, they are from a doomed future. They migrated to the past to escape their own annihilation, and also to paradoxically ensure their own rise to power once again.

The 'illithid heritage as mind flayer ancestor' theory has been used to explain things like illithid heritage feats, and the flayerspawn psychic prestige class, things that would otherwise make no sense when ceremorphosis is taken into consideration.

So with the Illithid Bloodline, you could be your own Great, Great , Great grandpa! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-07-30, 01:20 PM
*face desk* *face desk* *face desk* *face desk*

*face splode*

Hazzardevil
2011-07-30, 01:48 PM
*face desk* *face desk* *face desk* *face desk*

*face splode*

I killed someone!

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-30, 01:51 PM
Isn't there already Illithid Heritage feats in the Complete Psionic?

Yes. Yes there is. However, you need one psionic power point in order to embrace the totally awesome awesomeness that is forever mixed into your blood. Your rich, tasty blood. :smallamused:

faceroll
2011-08-02, 04:53 AM
So with the Illithid Bloodline, you could be your own Great, Great , Great grandpa! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw)

That's awesome.
I was thinking of this guy:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=fry+own+grandpa&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1200&bih=902&tbm=isch&tbnid=LqeMYcQQXa46eM:&imgrefurl=http://petersonsprognostics.wordpress.com/2010/02/&docid=HrusIZURGds_UM&w=250&h=403&ei=1Mg3TrCdIe6LsAKf3OwT&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=625&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=93&start=0&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&tx=87&ty=61

Isn't there already Illithid Heritage feats in the Complete Psionic?

Yes. Yes there is. However, you need one psionic power point in order to embrace the totally awesome awesomeness that is forever mixed into your blood. Your rich, tasty blood. :smallamused:

Yah, but I want to use UA bloodlines which are like some sort of bizarre quasi level, rather than spending feats on them.