PDA

View Full Version : The Untouchables!

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-27, 11:38 PM
Throughout the kingdoms of Albias are littered with hundreds of so-called adventurers; bands of murderous hobos whose only purpose in life seems to be jabbing pointy pieces of metal into other (un)living beings for money. Their logic is backwards, their morals are loose, and their standards are creepily low.

Fortunately for the pair of you, neither of you fit this sordid description. Instead, you are the pair that your city-state (Taer) calls on for tasks not even these backwards, murderous lunatics would touch.

Named in equal parts for your impecable record and your current status, you are the Untouchables.

Short Backstory:Like all good stories, the story of how the two of you met begins with dinosaurs and a chase scene. To be more precise, the human known as Squeeee has inherited something of a genetic disorder from his gnomish grandfather. Though less potent and only coming up when exceedingly drunk, Squeeee is prone to dinosaur-related hallucinations.

On this particular night, however, Squeeee was correct in thinking that something was following him. A rather fiesty water elemental of all things (summoned by an as-of-yet unidentified mage) was chasing the man down the road when he thought to hide in the nearby wizard college.

The demon chased Squeeee into the college and into the laboratory of... (wait a minute, Glasswhistle. I still don't have a name for your guy)... where he was packing up for the night. A fight broke out in earnest in the laboratory, ending when *Glasswhistle* loosed a fireball, slaying both the demon and an onlooking student who *Glasswhistle* hadn't spotted.

In the following investigation (and in a rare moment of hung-over self-reflection), Squeeee acknowledged his part in the events of that night and helped *Glasswhistle* avoid proper charges, though he has been removed from his post all the same so the college could save face (if you could find whoever summoned the elemental, however...).

Rather than (attempting to) imprison the Sorcerer, the town offered him a choice: go to jail or serve the city-state as an extra mage. *Glasswhistle*, no longer having any job, was offered a job alongside Squeeee, albeit with pay beyond mere living expenses.

Despite your impecable record thus-far, neither you or squeeee technically have a proper position within society (you aren't even eligible for membership in the "adventurer's guild" at the moment). Technically below the meanest of laborers on the social scale, you two are true untouchables.

At the moment, the two of you stand in front of the central court and have been called there by none other than the governor of Taer. The messengers have arrived at your residences early in the morning and your audience is likely to be the first matter of business.

Directly before you rests the central court.
Several smaller offices are attached to the central court and can be reached with minimal difficulty. Most of the clerks are boring/benign except for a Kobold named Dale that seems to love nothing more than getting in your way (might have something to do with him disliking that a no-good-dirty-rotten human might have more dragon blood than he does).
Behind you rests a large courtyard that wraps around the court, filled with pigeons and a few humans heading out to their jobs.
On the right side of the courtyard is a small bakery owned by a man named Joe. Joe knows the two of you personally and, thanks to a small matter you helped him with (So. Many. Rats.), tends to give you what you want for free.
Four roads (one north, one south, one east, and one west) lead away from the courtyard.

Glasswhistle
2011-07-28, 01:39 AM
(Oh, right, name, hmm...

I smashed the keyboard and added some vowels and came up with Ginsbrok Yughire, so Ginsbrok he shall be.)

Ginsbrok, waiting for the governor to show up, begins flipping through his spellbook. While doing so, he orders Owl to go fetch him a bagel from the bakery.

SquirrelSquee
2011-07-29, 02:05 PM
Squeeee walks up to the Bakery
"I dare say I am sorry Ginsbrok for being late, sometimes one forgets to check on things! But I am back even if two days late!"

Glasswhistle
2011-07-30, 12:34 PM
"It's about time, Squeeee, I've been living off of nothing but dry bagels for the past two days with nothing new to read except the menu. They have cinnamon bagels on Tuesdays, by the way. Now, we have a hearing to attend to." Ginsbok heads off to the courtroom, beckoning Owl to come with him.

SquirrelSquee
2011-07-30, 01:34 PM
I dare say you are patient as always!
I follow to the court room looking relieved

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-30, 04:59 PM
The front gates open up easily to your touch (no doubt treated with magic, judging by their immense size). A couple dozen lower clerks and officers work at desks arranged around the outer border of the room and run back and forth carrying their important papers.

A semi-circle of far higher podiums rest on the far side of the room, behind which are seated a collection of the town's leaders, including:
1. Miriam Stoutbrook: Dwarven cleric of Moradin and speaker/spiritual leader for the dwarves in the town. Stubborn like most dwarves but her honor and pride can be twisted to make her see reason.
2. Garland Reedwater: Leader of the elven district, a total hedonist who will let almost anything slide in exchange for certain favors (so far, you've fetched rare drugs from the southernmost city-state, rescued a fair maiden from a death cult [before introducing her to Garland, of course], and helped officiate an elven game reminiscent of water polo).
3. Midpie Gorth: A mongrelfolk put in charge of representing all other non-human races (Note: mongrelfolk are basically a mix of every single race to ever exist. They are correspondingly hideous). Clinically depressed, Midpie rarely ever talks and signs just about any paper shoved in front of his nose.
4. Alladar Stockhaven: The actual judge in this courthouse. Typically opposes your "endeavors" but hasn't spoken up against your ever since somebody joked about you turning him into a frog.
5. Simon Grimwald: The governor of Taer. Pretty much what you'd expect from a governor.

As you enter, you can't help but notice Alladar's face turn pale as the assembled group turn to look at you. "Well," says Simon, "I'm glad that you've finally arrived"

Glasswhistle
2011-07-30, 07:28 PM
"We apologize for our tardiness, Grimwald. What did you call us here for?"

Realms of Chaos
2011-07-30, 07:33 PM
"Well..." Grimwald starts, looking a bit... embarrassed?... "it seems that we have trouble lurking in the, um, sewers... again."

Glasswhistle
2011-07-30, 09:49 PM
Ginsbrok sighs "Rats? Again? I don't know how many more times I want to do this, Grimwald. Don't you have anything more interesting?

SquirrelSquee
2011-07-31, 07:26 PM
Agreed are we glorified plumbers? As i look visually annoyed

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-02, 09:44 AM
"It's not rats!" Grimwald shouts, "We've sent you into those sewers to rescue kidnapped children, destroy death cults, and seal up passages to disrupt the assassin's guild. I know that we've misused you in the past but why must you always assume it's the rats."

Grimwald massages his temples for a moment, struggling to regain his composure. "In this case, we've gotten reports straight from the wizard college. It seems that a bit of their arcane waste has been dripping into the sewers for quite a while now. Some of this waste may or may not be dangerous, may or may not be alive. All we need you to do is ascertain the threat and come back so we can determine our next course of action."

SquirrelSquee
2011-08-02, 01:28 PM
Well it might not always be rats, but we still go down there a few to many times! I look a little calmer as I talk But Now we are your De-Tox people? See now we aren't Plumbers but Janitors or at the least Guinea Pigs? Fine I guess we can do that..., but whats in it for us?

Glasswhistle
2011-08-02, 01:31 PM
"So... mutated rats? Grimsbok considers this for a moment. "Well, it should be interesting to see the effects arcane waste on sewer dwellers... And I don't suppose we have much of a choice."

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-02, 02:23 PM
"In it for you? Hmm... I suppose that I could manage to pay you a..."

"Actually," speaks up Miriam, "you might have a bit of choice in the matter, if you're up for a more... arduous task."

The rest of the council turns to face Miriam, apparently curious to hear what this "arduous task" could be. After making sure that everyone is paying attention, Miriam speaks up again:

"Well, an orcish emmissary just arrived from the camps of Droggsil to the Northeast. A few of my people were charged with making sure that his stay here was... pleasant. Someone must have forgotten that our kinds don't see eye to eye." With this, Miriam glares sharply at Alladar.

"If you are willing to watch our... guest... until he signs a treaty this evening, I'm sure that my men would gladly trade their duties for a trip into the sewers."

Garland takes a quick look at the other members of the council before giving a small shrug and looking back to the both of you, "Well, then, I suppose you have two options at the moment,"

Glasswhistle
2011-08-02, 04:32 PM
"As... unpleasant as the sewers may be, I have no desire to babysit some orc. Sewer gators sporting lobster claws should at least be mildly interesting."

SquirrelSquee
2011-08-02, 11:47 PM
Time to gear my galoshes I guess?

Realms of Chaos
2011-08-07, 08:18 PM
OOC: sorry for my absence. It seems that I am easily distrac- shiny object.

Miriam frowns as Grimwald lets out a low chuckle. "The sewers it is, then. feel free to obtain whatever equipment you might require for this endeavor. I'm sure that Charles has been missing you."

Charles Gillandar is an archivist who once worked at the temple of Boccob (god of magic). In recent years, he has been tasked with maintaining, archiving, and creating a supply of items for the city guard. While the normal soldier may never see so much as a +1 sword, the fact that you are few in number and that your jobs are important makes it easy to arm you temporarily (one of the few perks of your job). Charles works in a large repository downstairs, accessible through a stairway in one of the back offices (feel free to describe your journey there however you please).

"As for payment," adds Grimwald, remembering Squeeee's question, "I'm sure that the normal rate will do, with hazard pay if something dangerous is down there." (the normal rate is 500 gp/day [double for Grimsbok, who is a free agent] and hazard pay is half this rate on top of the normal rate.)

Glasswhistle
2011-08-07, 09:55 PM
Grimsbok turns to Squee. "Hmm, the usual sewer-crawling gear, I guess? I've got my weapon, and food. Boots would be important, I suppose, is there anything we ought to have?"

SquirrelSquee
2011-08-10, 04:46 PM
OOC: Sorry I was not sure what happened when no one responded, but now it seems were on track. Also i never did equipment for character so i need help figuring out how to do that!

Squeeee speaks to Grimsbok "I dare say My stuff is not in order we must stop by the shops first then be on our way, only a short slight Detour. So sorry about that i just seem to forget to check things when we don't do anything for a couple days."

Glasswhistle
2011-08-10, 11:20 PM
"You'll need a weapon, rations, perhaps a tent and a blanket in case we need to stay there overnight." Without another word, Grimsbok leaves the room and heads to the shops.