PDA

View Full Version : How to build Kenpachi Zaraki.

druid91
2011-07-28, 12:47 AM
Well I've been thinking about this, but how would you build Kenpachi Zaraki?

I've been thinking some form of monstrously high strength Barbarian x /swordsage x

ScrambledBrains
2011-07-28, 12:51 AM
Hmmm, let's think about this. Barbarian makes sense as far as his attitude and fighting style goes, and that's always a good start. However, I think Warblade might be a better idea than Swordsage, as there's a slightly better fluff synergy that way(I know next to nothing of Warblades as far as crunch goes, apart from a few of their schools.) Also:

There'd have to be a way to simulate his limiter, and his skull aura for when he's not wearing his limiter....hmmm.

HunterOfJello
2011-07-28, 01:00 AM
Some kind of Warblade/Incarnate might make more sense. Putting most of the levels in Warblade while keeping up a very high rate of Strength and Constitution will keep the character alive along with a number of mid-level Iron Heart Maneuvers and the Mountain Hammer line.

Iron Heart Surge, Lightning Recovery, and Iron Heart Focus will keep the character hitting for most of his attacks and resisting most attacks on him. You could throw in some Tiger Claw maneuvers like Death From Above and Soaring Raptor Strike, but the impressive maneuvers that remind me of Kenpachi are Mountain Hammer and Elder Mountain Hammer.

If you have the extra slots, then some of the Diamond Mind maneuvers could be very useful. Especially the saving throw maneuvers and Emerald Razor coupled with a Full Power Attack.

If you really want to go for a look-a-like contest then a Bastard Sword would do the trick, but if you want to make it impressive go for the Fullblade and increase the size of it as necessary once you get access to Strongarm Bracers.

druid91
2011-07-28, 01:01 AM
Well I was only going with swordsage for the defense bonus at level 3. Which let's his AC boost off of Wisdom.

ScrambledBrains
2011-07-28, 01:03 AM
Well I was only going with swordsage for the defense bonus at level 3. Which let's his AC boost off of Wisdom.

Then the question would be, can we see Kenpachi having a high Wisdom? In a real-life manner, probably not. However, since spot and listen are keyed off Wisdom, and Kenpachi is perceptive in battle, it''s a bit more viable. :smallbiggrin:

druid91
Some kind of Warblade/Incarnate might make more sense. Putting most of the levels in Warblade while keeping up a very high rate of Strength and Constitution will keep the character alive along with a number of mid-level Iron Heart Maneuvers and the Mountain Hammer line.

Iron Heart Surge, Lightning Recovery, and Iron Heart Focus will keep the character hitting for most of his attacks and resisting most attacks on him. You could throw in some Tiger Claw maneuvers like Death From Above and Soaring Raptor Strike, but the impressive maneuvers that remind me of Kenpachi are Mountain Hammer and Elder Mountain Hammer.

If you have the extra slots, then some of the Diamond Mind maneuvers could be very useful. Especially the saving throw maneuvers and Emerald Razor coupled with a Full Power Attack.

If you really want to go for a look-a-like contest then a Bastard Sword would do the trick, but if you want to make it impressive go for the Fullblade and increase the size of it as necessary once you get access to Strongarm Bracers.

I was thinking less of a look-alike and more of that same style of simply smashing opponents into the dirt and stabbing them.

HunterOfJello

Some very good Warblade builds start with 4 levels in other classes and then the rest in Warblade so that they can start the warblade off with 2nd level maneuvers. Grabbing a level or 2 in Swordsage can also provide some good stances and prerequisites for higher level maneuvers.

Swordsage 2/ _______ 2/Warblade X can make a great build.

druid91
2011-07-28, 01:07 AM
Then the question would be, can we see Kenpachi having a high Wisdom? In a real-life manner, probably not. However, since spot and listen are keyed off Wisdom, and Kenpachi is perceptive in battle, it''s a bit more viable. :smallbiggrin:

Don't be so quick, Kenpachi for all his insanity is very perceptive. Take his comments about the soul-reaper helping the bounts.

He's pretty wise for a someone who's so happy he wants to kill someone.:smallbiggrin:

ScrambledBrains
2011-07-28, 01:09 AM
Don't be so quick, Kenpachi for all his insanity is very perceptive. Take his comments about the soul-reaper helping the bounts.

He's pretty wise for a someone who's so happy he wants to kill someone.:smallbiggrin:

:smallbiggrin: Fair enough.

Drelua
2011-07-28, 01:47 AM
He definitely needs that wis to AC, considering his fight in soul society against Tousen. Maybe some whiling frenzy barbarian? He's crazy, but he's not reckless in a fight. If you were trying to actually make Kenpachi, you'd have to find some way to get his ability scores boosted; he's got great dex, str, con, and pretty good wis. Of course, comparing him to a human, he'd probably be about level 30.

BenInHB
2011-07-28, 01:54 AM
Kenpachi Zaraki
Monk2/PsyWar3/WarMind5

Class Features:
Improved Unarmed Strike, WIS to AC, Flurry of Blows, Stunning Fist, Evasion (Mettle would be better for flavor), Combat Reflexes, Chain of Personal Superiority(Boosts STR and CON), Chain of Defensive Posture(Boost AC), ENDURING BODY (DR?? Zaraki's got it) Sweeping Strikes

Feats:
EWP:Katana (since Zaraki weilds it one handed most of the time)
Power Attack
Psionic Weapon
Speed of Thought
Leap Attack
Shock Trooper
Deep Impact

Powers:
1st Level:
Vigor (Bonus HP), Biofeedback (Damage Reduction), Inertial Armor (+AC), Offensive Precognition (+Attack rolls)
2nd Level:
Hustle (Bonus Move Action)

Equipment:
+2 Katana 8350gp
Belt of Priestly Might (of god Zaraki doesn't worship, worn as an eye patch, Bestows 1 negative level) 6000gp
Ki Straps (+2DC Stunning Fists) 5000gp
Mithral Bell's (for the tips of his hair) 3700gp
Lesser Sandals of Springing (+5 to Jump) 2500gp
Ring of Mystic Defiance (Reduce Spell Damage by 10) 7500gp

What do you think?? I think this mechanically fits Kenpachi Zarakis flavor very well.

Vemynal
2011-07-28, 03:54 AM
Kenpachi Zaraki
Monk2/PsyWar3/WarMind5

Class Features:
Improved Unarmed Strike, WIS to AC, Flurry of Blows, Stunning Fist, Evasion (Mettle would be better for flavor), Combat Reflexes, Chain of Personal Superiority(Boosts STR and CON), Chain of Defensive Posture(Boost AC), ENDURING BODY (DR?? Zaraki's got it) Sweeping Strikes

Feats:
Power Attack
Psionic Weapon
Speed of Thought
Leap Attack
Shock Trooper
Deep Impact

Powers:
1st Level:
Vigor (Bonus HP), Biofeedback (Damage Reduction), Inertial Armor (+AC), Offensive Precognition (+Attack rolls)
2nd Level:

Equipment:
+2 Katana 8350gp
Belt of Priestly Might (of god Zaraki doesn't worship, worn as an eye patch, Bestows 1 negative level) 6000gp

What do you think?? I think this mechanically fits Kenpachi Zarakis flavor very well.

/slow claps
/intermediate clap
/fast claps
/outrageous applause

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 07:50 AM
He obviously wields his katana in his off-hand to explain the great increase in damage once he goes two-handed with it. With 30 Str, that would suddenly go from 1d10+5 to 1d10+15 plus Power Attack. Even more nuts if he is a Frenzied Berzerker.

Prime32
2011-07-28, 08:11 AM
Barbarian 9/Frenzied Berserker 10/Exotic Weapon Master 1

EWM lets you wield a one-handed exotic weapon in two hands to add 2x your Str bonus to damage.

He enters frenzy by removing his eyepatch.

Kaeso
2011-07-28, 09:58 AM
Kenpachi Zaraki
Monk2/PsyWar3/WarMind5

Class Features:

Feats:
Power Attack
Psionic Weapon
Speed of Thought
Leap Attack
Shock Trooper
Deep Impact

Powers:
1st Level:
2nd Level:

Equipment:
+2 Katana 8350gp

Sounds excellent! I had my own built but I'd rather admit the superiority of yours than make a half-assed attempt that falls into nothingness compared to this.

I just have one question: why are the bells mythral?

Cieyrin
2011-07-28, 10:40 AM
Barbarian 9/Frenzied Berserker 10/Exotic Weapon Master 1

EWM lets you wield a one-handed exotic weapon in two hands to add 2x your Str bonus to damage.

He enters frenzy by removing his eyepatch.

Bah, you pointed out what I was going to about EWM and Uncanny Blow. :|

Also, I don't think we specifically need Mithral Bells or the Priest's Belt. They're custom cursed items specifically to limit Kempachi's power. The bells give him a penalty to move silently and probably AC, since they're to help his opponent's locate him. The Eye patch stops him from frenzying, till he takes it off.

What he needs is Reckless Rage, a Furious Brash weapon and probably Mountain Rage, since he's practically a Goliath in size, as Soul Reapers are by no means human any more.

Socratov
2011-07-28, 11:17 AM
He definitely needs that wis to AC, considering his fight in soul society against Tousen. Maybe some whiling frenzy barbarian? He's crazy, but he's not reckless in a fight. If you were trying to actually make Kenpachi, you'd have to find some way to get his ability scores boosted; he's got great dex, str, con, and pretty good wis. Of course, comparing him to a human, he'd probably be about level 30.

not so sure about the wis to AC... over and over again he shows he's easily hit (so, AC low), however, he takes little damage from attacks, so his DR/- must be huge. His dex is moderate to high, because he can dodge attacks adequately, but against a strong melee fighter (like Ichigo) he definately gets hit. His strength is definately up there with the gods, as is his con.

as for the katana, make it serrated, do not underestimate the brokeness of his katana. A few times characters commented on his katana as being broken, and unable to repair it because of his nonexistent connection with his zanpakuto, this does however give hmi bonus damage shuld he slice enemies, since his sword now effectively has a serrated edge.

the mental stats aren't that high, he can use different tactics, but often discards tactics in favor of a frontal attack (definately his most used method of attack). However, he knows who not to fight. he knows he will lose to Aizen, so he doesn't attack him. if that woudl go to hsi wisdom or his intelligence is debatable. And his cha is low: he's grumpy, easily annoyed, easily bored and quite frankly, ugly.

Cieyrin
2011-07-28, 11:42 AM
the mental stats aren't that high, he can use different tactics, but often discards tactics in favor of a frontal attack (definately his most used method of attack). However, he knows who not to fight. he knows he will lose to Aizen, so he doesn't attack him. if that woudl go to hsi wisdom or his intelligence is debatable. And his cha is low: he's grumpy, easily annoyed, easily bored and quite frankly, ugly.

He's intimidating, though. Charisma isn't just a measure of appearance. He's cultivated his look to be scary as hell.

I think, the way his mentals go, he's high Wis (his intuition is his guide, if his fights in sensory deprived conditions are any indication), moderate Charisma, Low Int (or at least puts on a show that he is. Genius by no means, though). He's maxed out Intimidate and Listen, which to me puts him well into Barbarian territory.

Quietus
2011-07-28, 12:09 PM
I'd definitely look at a very large source of DR/Magic, possibly with a smaller source of DR/- (or at least something rare). It's repeatedly shown that he's impervious to damage from someone whose spiritual pressure isn't high enough, and even when they can get through that, he's only surprised when he gets cut open, rather than debilitated.

Psyren
2011-07-28, 12:18 PM
I don't think conventional AC works well for any Bleach character. None of them wear armor so you're forced to kludge them all with Monk levels or Swordsage etc to explain the walking around in cloth all day long.

I would instead use the Defense Bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) variant from the SRD, which does a much better job at representing them being harder to hit as they grow in power. You can tweak the actual numbers if needed but it's still better than giving Zaraki a high Wis.

(Not that his Wis isn't actually decent - it's just unfitting to get it up to the levels where it can actually protect him physically, and still fit his character.)

Also, I agree - DR is a must for him, even the highest DR among the captains.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 12:28 PM
I can't believe I'm the first person to mention this, but uh...shinigami are like incorporeal undead. So Zaraki would get his Cha mod to AC automatically.

Edit: Though by that logic, he also wouldn't have a Str or Con score...hmmm...

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 12:33 PM
I can't believe I'm the first person to mention this, but uh...shinigami are like incorporeal undead. So Zaraki would get his Cha mod to AC automatically.

Edit: Though by that logic, he also wouldn't have a Str or Con score...hmmm...

In Bleach, shinigami and human function pretty similarly, except the former are incorporeal in the real world. When a human in DnD goes into the ethereal plane (turns incorporeal) though, he can affect incorporeal creatures as if they were both corporeal. So it doesn't really matter.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 12:35 PM
In Bleach, shinigami and human function pretty similarly, except the former are incorporeal in the real world. When a human in DnD goes into the ethereal plane (turns incorporeal) though, he can affect incorporeal creatures as if they were both corporeal. So it doesn't really matter.

You're right, but that makes it pretty hard to translate Kenpachi into D&D terms. After all, he's dead.

Psyren
2011-07-28, 12:48 PM
They're invisible, not incorporeal. Shinigami and Hollows frequently smash up buildings, streets etc. when they fight, to the point that they need to drop stasis fields to keep the real world safe from their battles.

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 12:58 PM
You're right, but that makes it pretty hard to translate Kenpachi into D&D terms. After all, he's dead.

The problem here is just that he isn't. Not really. The people of Soul Society are more comparible to petitioners in the Outer Planes, who are outsiders. When they die, they are reincarnated on Earth again.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-28, 01:02 PM
The problem here is just that he isn't. Not really. The people of Soul Society are more comparible to petitioners in the Outer Planes, who are outsiders. When they die, they are reincarnated on Earth again.

That's a good point...so maybe he's an Eladrin then? (A Chaotic Good outsider?)

Psyren
2011-07-28, 01:04 PM

Shinigami are really just human petitioners with some crazy-powerful extra-planar template. Fullbringers and Quincy (and, ick, Bount) are regular humans with a different template.

Hollows are the true Outsiders.

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 01:06 PM

Considering Soul Society seems like Ysgard (the Chaotic Chaotic Good plane) except Lawful(ish) in guise, seems fitting in that regard.

Just don't tell him what he'd look like in 4E. :smallwink:

Frozen_Feet
2011-07-28, 01:15 PM
They're invisible, not incorporeal. Shinigami and Hollows frequently smash up buildings, streets etc. when they fight, to the point that they need to drop stasis fields to keep the real world safe from their battles.

They can walk through solid object on the mortal world, though. It's just not something they can do at the drop of a hat.

Anyways, in my opinion, Zaraki is just a straight-classed Epic Barbarian. His aura of raw fear? Intimidate boosted to ludicrous levels. His absurd resilience to damage? Damage Reduction and Improved Toughness + Epic Toughness taken a couple of times. EWP: Katana, Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Improved Sunder, Leap Attack, Ruinous Rage and some other things go far to explain his stunts.

druid91
2011-07-28, 01:16 PM

Well, they were never quite clear on that.

IIRC Shinigami have greater power than your average dead human, but they can't remember their living existence, further they have noble families presumably with blood ties. In addition several people such as Yachiro, Renji, and Rukia are all shown as children growing up in the soul society, despite Yuichi's observation that humans don't age in the soul society.

I always figured that Shinigami are a different species altogether, one that happens to be capable of having kids with humans.

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 01:17 PM
Well, they were never quite clear on that.

IIRC Shinigami have greater power than your average dead human, but they can't remember their living existence, further they have noble families presumably with blood ties. In addition several people such as Yachiro, Renji, and Rukia are all shown as children growing up in the soul society, despite Yuichi's observation that humans don't age in the soul society.

I always figured that Shinigami are a different species altogether, one that happens to be capable of having kids with humans.

Humans with spiritual power continue to age, require sustenance and require sleep.

Prime32
2011-07-28, 01:22 PM
They can walk through solid object on the mortal world, though. It's just not something they can do at the drop of a hat.

Anyways, in my opinion, Zaraki is just a straight-classed Epic Barbarian. His aura of raw fear? Intimidate boosted to ludicrous levels. His absurd resilience to damage? Damage Reduction and Improved Toughness + Epic Toughness taken a couple of times. EWP: Katana, Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Improved Sunder, Leap Attack, Ruinous Rage and some other things go far to explain his stunts.Ah yes, how did I forget the scariness part?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#terrifyingRage
Plus if he's epic he can enter Legendary Dreadnought (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/legendaryDreadnought.htm) and shatter walls of force.

I still say he needs Uncanny Blow for "lol kendo" though.

druid91
2011-07-28, 01:33 PM
Ah yes, how did I forget the scariness part?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#terrifyingRage
Plus if he's epic he can enter Legendary Dreadnought (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClasses/legendaryDreadnought.htm) and shatter walls of force.

I still say he needs Uncanny Blow for "lol kendo" though.

There is always the Frightful presence feat.

Cieyrin
2011-07-28, 02:37 PM
There is always the Frightful presence feat.

Kenpachi screams Dreadful Wrath (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Dreadful_Wrath)

BenInHB
2011-07-29, 01:43 AM
not so sure about the wis to AC... over and over again he shows he's easily hit (so, AC low), however, he takes little damage from attacks, so his DR/- must be huge.

It's not that his skin is super tough it's that the force of his Reiatsu repels the attacks. I would say WIS would be the stat related to Spirit Pressure especially since it dictates his bonus power points. So you can easily hit him but your going to have trouble getting through his "armor" unless you have incredible spirit pressure yourself.

Midnight_v
2011-07-29, 02:28 AM
Kenpachi Zaraki
Monk2/PsyWar3/WarMind5

Class Features:

Feats:
Power Attack
Psionic Weapon
Speed of Thought
Leap Attack
Shock Trooper
Deep Impact

Powers:
1st Level:
2nd Level:

Equipment:
+2 Katana 8350gp

I kinda like this... I kinda think it'd be better as a pathfinder build then the psywar would stack with Warmind appropriately.

Shooting for level 10 is pretty good and leave enough space.
I'd like to give it a shot, I'll have to google him up a bit to see what he's really doing.

I think maybe he should be an Elan...

BenInHB
2011-07-29, 02:53 AM
Elan could be a good call. So all Soul Reapers are Elans??

Morph Bark
2011-07-29, 04:30 AM
Elan could be a good call. So all Soul Reapers are Elans??

Considering there used to be threads on the Wizards forums about psionic Bleach/Naruto/Avatar/etc. builds, not a bad call at least. Plus, Elans were all human before, right?

Midnight_v
2011-07-29, 10:44 AM
Considering there used to be threads on the Wizards forums about psionic Bleach/Naruto/Avatar/etc. builds, not a bad call at least. Plus, Elans were all human before, right?

Yes cannoically, each Elan starts off Human, and at somepoint is subject to a "level 10" power: Transcend Mortality.
I can dig for the source if you need. I'm pretty sure I'm recalling that correctly.

Though I suspect the people with "Hollows" attached are some kind of undead.

Socratov
2011-07-29, 01:12 PM
snip[/I]

we don't know if shinigami can have children with humans... Who says Ichigo's father isn't human? For whatever reason ichigo's dad could be human too, he might even be the shinigami who also regained his powers by fulbring, though hiding it. We kow nothing of Ichigo's father for that matter...

druid91
2011-07-29, 07:57 PM
we don't know if shinigami can have children with humans... Who says Ichigo's father isn't human? For whatever reason ichigo's dad could be human too, he might even be the shinigami who also regained his powers by fulbring, though hiding it. We kow nothing of Ichigo's father for that matter...

Well we know he is captain level. But I'm still in the espada so I don't know what a fullbring is.

Socratov
2011-07-30, 02:47 PM
Well we know he is captain level. But I'm still in the espada so I don't know what a fullbring is.

sorry for spoiling :smallredface: keep reading the manga and it will become clear to you :smallsmile:

Captain level doesn't directly make you shinigami 'race', it is commented upon Ichigo Being captain level himself, and he's still human :)

Bard for Kicks
2011-07-30, 07:14 PM
sorry for spoiling :smallredface: keep reading the manga and it will become clear to you :smallsmile:

Captain level doesn't directly make you shinigami 'race', it is commented upon Ichigo Being captain level himself, and he's still human :)

Hmm...Ichigo...human...:smallwink:

By the way, I'm surprised that Yachiru hasn't been mentioned.
Kenpachi deffs needs Leadership to get a vice captain...but...kinda a really high level cohort, no? After all, she is a vice captain...

Cieyrin
2011-07-30, 07:36 PM

Kenpachi deffs needs Leadership to get a vice captain...but...kinda a really high level cohort, no? After all, she is a vice captain...

How'd you explain Ikkaku and Yumichika, then? Leadership ain't gonna model them well at all, especially what with Ikkaku having Bankai.

Also, we haven't seen Yachiru actually fight, so we hardly know what power level she should even be.

Socratov
2011-07-30, 07:37 PM

fairly sure he's human :smallamused:

we don't know anything about Yachiru... I mean she's a vice captain, but couldn't possibly stat her out because we have literally seen nothing of her in terms of power and the like

Morph Bark
2011-07-30, 08:54 PM
fairly sure he's human :smallamused:

we don't know anything about Yachiru... I mean she's a vice captain, but couldn't possibly stat her out because we have literally seen nothing of her in terms of power and the like

I like to drill through Soul Societies in my spare time, thank you very much.

Xtomjames
2011-07-30, 10:34 PM
Swordsage 1/Warblade 4/Samurai 5

Put heavy emphasis on ianjutsu focus. Take the Crab clan as the basis of the samurai class for leveled bonus feats.

Take Setting Sun for the Swordsage choices and stances, and Stone Dragon for the Warblade. (Remember that all of these classes stack to determine your highest level maneuver. Which for this character would be 7th)

Buy an eye patch that ups your ianjutsu focus and take maneuvers that up your physical attack and presences.

Weapon of choice: +6 legacy focus keen katana, unawakened intelligent sword (Sanbatou).

At later levels I'd throw in monk or another class that enhances either ki or ianjutsu. Such as Ianjutsu Master.