PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Manager?

RoninFrosty
2011-07-28, 01:03 AM
Tried searching, didn't find what I was looking for, so if I missed it, feel free to direct me to the correct topic.

I'm starting a new campaign tomorrow after about two years of inactivity. I think I can handle the first session OK (since I'll be checking the character sheets and introducing them to my homebrew world) but I know I have a tendency to a.) not collect my thoughts as well as I should and b.) forget things.

What I'm looking for is something simple that would let me keep all the relevant information I need for running a session handy. I had something like this before and lost it when my last computer crapped out (no, I didn't back up my files. Boo, hiss, etc etc). If I remembered anything about it at all I'd say but I can't even remember what it looked like. Any suggestions?

Mordokai
2011-07-28, 01:53 AM
Try this (http://barncatsoftware.org/dmsec.htm). I haven't tried it out myself, but it's freeware, so nothing lost, right?

The version on the link above is for 4E. Here (http://occultentertainment.50webs.com/dmsecretary.html) you can find one for 3.5.

RoninFrosty
2011-07-28, 02:21 AM
Eh, not so good. This looks like it's for running online campaigns. Nothing inherently wrong with it but filling this out just to print a screenshot seems silly. Would probably try it if I ran online.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-28, 12:24 PM
Generally, what I use is a spreadsheet.

In the upper left corner, I include important information about the PCs... names, who is playing them, their race, class, and primes (I play C&C; "primes" are the attributes you're designated as being particularly skilled in... someone with Dex prime is going to be better at acrobatics and getting the heck out of the way of a fireball), HP and AC.

On the right hand side near the top, I include some notes about important NPCs. Not their complete history, just a few notes about important things... stuff to help me play them, and to keep track of what's going on.

I use one portion to keep track of treasure (who has what, where it's stored, etc.). Another keeps track of Monsters and the HP, while I have a quick calculator to add up XP.

On a separate sheet, I keep a list of the PCs I killed, and how they died. I call that sheet "Hall of Slain PCs Ha-ha-ha" and laugh at players as I put their characters there (like the group who decided the perfect plan for a basilisk was, essentially, "GET HER!").

Since it's a spreadsheet, it's customizable by game or preference, and I make changes as I need to.