PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Adding spells to a Magus spellbook

Laniius
2011-07-28, 02:08 AM
On the SRD, it says that a magus can add a spell to his spellbook, providing that it's on his spell list and of a level he can cast.

"Spellbooks: A magus must study his spellbook each day to prepare his spells. He cannot prepare any spell not recorded in his spellbook except for read magic, which all magi can prepare from memory. A magus begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level magus spells plus three 1st-level magus spells of his choice. The magus also selects a number of additional 1st-level magus spells equal to his Intelligence modifier to add to his spellbook. At each new magus level, he gains two new magus spells of any spell level or levels that he can cast (based on his new magus level) for his spellbook. At any time, a magus can also add spells found in other spellbooks to his own.

A magus can learn spells from a wizard’s spellbook, just as a wizard can from a magus’s spellbook. The spells learned must be on the magus spell list, as normal. An alchemist can learn formulae from a magus’s spellbook, if the spells are also on the alchemist spell list. A magus cannot learn spells from an alchemist."

I have 2 questions: can a Magus learn spells from a scroll? Also, what is the cost of writing a spell into the spellbook? Is it priced the same as a wizard (found here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Writing-a-New-Spell-into-a-Spellboo )?

Ashram
2011-07-28, 03:47 AM
1. Yes, a magus can write a spell into his spellbook from a scroll, provided it be on his spell list, whether the source is magus or wizard. The only way for a magus to learn wizard spells not on his spell list would be through the Spell Blending magus arcana, or the Greater Spell Access class ability at 19th level.

2. Since there are no special rules outlined for it, it would be the same as a wizard.

Laniius
2011-07-28, 07:02 PM
Thanks! Where are the specifics? I knew that a magus can only add spells to his spellbook if they're on his list, but I couldn't find any mention of scrolls. Unless I failed a comprehension check.

Ashram
2011-07-28, 07:52 PM
Thanks! Where are the specifics? I knew that a magus can only add spells to his spellbook if they're on his list, but I couldn't find any mention of scrolls. Unless I failed a comprehension check.

You basically answered your own question: A magus can only add spells to his spellbook if they're on his spell list. I don't see why scrolls would be an exception to that rule.

LuniasM
2012-09-18, 07:42 PM

You can learn spells from a scroll the same way you could from a spell book, including the time spent, skill checks and gold cost. The only difference is that the spell vanishes after a successful transcription.

It's on the FAQ section of Paizo's website under "How can wizards, witches, magi, and alchemists learn new spells or formulae?" Here's the link.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/faq#v5748eaic9osh