PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos and Scars, help with this odd build?

gallagher
2011-07-28, 02:18 AM
so i enjoy playing the scout's role of the party, but dont much feel like being a rogue. well this time i figure to play an odd combination: i will not only be the scout, but i also want to be the martial class of the party.

so with half orc paragon, i can get a rage without having to be chaotic, which makes a half orc monk a little more palatable. with that in mind, here is my idea thus far.

Half Orc Monk 2/H.O. Paragon 2/Full BAB 1/ Tattooed Monk 5/ Runescarred Berserker 10

a few notes and questions:

-for the lodge feat that i need to take for the berserker, i was figuring to take the snow tiger lodge so i can pounce.

-the tattooed monk is lackluster outside of the chameleon form, but i want to be able to alter self more, and thus need ot get more tattoos. i was thinking monkey and wasp tattoos for 5 rounds of haste 3/d and a +3 to several skills.

-what are the most effective ways to beef up my unarmed strikes?

-what full BAB class should i take for my 5th level?

-what are the best alter self forms to have? i figure to have a few go-to's so i dont slow down the game.

-which runescars should i have upon myself? i figure to have an antimagic field, two divine strengths, and two righteous mights prepared upon myself. what other two should i carve on me? which ones should i learn?

-my HD isnt too impressive for a guy who is expecting to also be the melee character, so i need to pump my defenses. i know that the key to being a good defender isnt just being unhittable, but also being a threat. well with multiple kinds of movement and high mobility, i can get around teh battlefield and be a constant threat, or at least a headache.

is there anything that this build seems to be missing? my main schtick is to scout around, hide and move silently, and be a general skill monkey. is there any way to get trapfinding, open lock, and disable device so i can be a complete skill monkey? with my scouting, i will tend to be having the surprise round, and then be a grappler and unarmed fighter.

veven
2011-07-28, 02:44 AM
For the 5th level I would go Warblade. You can grab 3 maneuvers (some at 2nd level since your initiator level will be 3). I recommend the two that allow you to replace your saves with concentration checks (the reflex and will ones, sadly the Fort one is 3rd level) and Emerald Razor. You will never regret Emerald Razor, touch attacks are amazing.

Here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871862/3.5Forms_for_Alter_Self) is a pretty great list of useful alter self forms.

A 1 level dip in scout (at 1st level if you want 8+int X 4 skills points) will get you trapfinding, and it's actually called "scout" so it fits your whole idea I'd say.

As for defences, I would just pump CON. If you like the flavor, Fist of the Forest is great. It gives you Con to AC and some other useful goodies, although you have to sleep outside and it takes three feats to get into. Although if you take the Overwhelming Attack Monk variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) you can grab two of those for free. The other feat is great fortitude, which isn't amazing but it will shore up the gap in your saves since you can't replace it with concentration like the other two.

aazru
2011-07-28, 03:22 AM
Wasn't there a chaotic monk variant? I think you can get more out of Barb2(or more) than half orc paragon.

Cog
2011-07-28, 05:25 AM
The Berserker Lodge feats are first-level-only and require you to already have a rage ability, IIRC. H'Orc Paragon doesn't get it until second.

Amnestic
2011-07-28, 05:42 AM
Wasn't there a chaotic monk variant?

There was. It was in Dragon Magazine #335. It's mechanically better than the Lawful Monk (though not by much) but it's Dragon Mag content, so getting it allowed will depend on your DM.

Feytalist
2011-07-28, 05:43 AM
One of the half-orc substitution classes gives rage, doesn't it? I think I remember something like that. Paladin, perhaps?

Darrin
2011-07-28, 07:21 AM
-for the lodge feat that i need to take for the berserker, i was figuring to take the snow tiger lodge so i can pounce.

The Berserker Lodge feats are first-level-only and require you to already have a rage ability, IIRC. H'Orc Paragon doesn't get it until second.

Nope, they're not [Regional] feats, so no 1st-level-only restriction. They're [Fighter, General] feats. If he can meet the membership requirement, he should be good to go. You're probably thinking of Lion Tribe Warrior from Shining South, which is very similar, but is [Regional] and human-only.

-the tattooed monk is lackluster outside of the chameleon form, but i want to be able to alter self more, and thus need ot get more tattoos. i was thinking monkey and wasp tattoos for 5 rounds of haste 3/d and a +3 to several skills.

Save up for some Fleshshifter Armor (13160 GP, BoVD p. 111) for alter self at will.

-what are the most effective ways to beef up my unarmed strikes?

Superior Unarmed Strike, Improved Natural Attack, and the Totem Avatar soulmeld bound to your shoulder chakra. Also, anything that increases your size. Talking the party wizard into prepping greater mighty wallop would be quite nice, too.

-what full BAB class should i take for my 5th level?

Fist of the Forest? Otherwise, Ranger with the Trap Expert ACF (trapfinding, Dungeonscape) and the Spiritual Connection ACF (speak with animals/plants, CChamp).

-what are the best alter self forms to have? i figure to have a few go-to's so i dont slow down the game.

There's a guide on the Wizards community or BG, google "Forms for Alter Self". Some suggestions:

Troglodyte is the go-to in Core for the +6 natural armor bonus, but the Crucian (Sandstorm) tops it with +8 NA.

Mountain Spirit Folk (Unapproachable East): 30' climb speed, +2 racial bonus on Balance/Jump/Tumble checks.

Varag (MMIV): 60' land speed, Run and Spring Attack as racial bonus feats, and a +8 racial bonus to Move Silently.

Earth Mephling (Planar handbook): 10' burrow speed.

Hornhead Saurial (Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement): The *only* large-sized humanoid in print that wasn't hit with errata (sorry, shinomen nagas). +5 NA, claw/claw/tail attack (tail has 10' reach).

Avariel (Races of Faerun) is the best humanoid flyer: 50' fly speed (average), can still fly with a medium load/armor. There's also the Flyer Saurial (same WE as above), same 50' fly speed (average), but small size, +4 NA, and claw/claw/tail attacks. If FR isn't allowed, then Air Mephling (Planar Handbook) has a 10' fly speed (perfect).

-which runescars should i have upon myself? i figure to have an antimagic field, two divine strengths, and two righteous mights prepared upon myself. what other two should i carve on me? which ones should i learn?

Freedom of movement is too useful beyond words. For 2nd level, if you can pick up Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII), keen edge might be worth a look. Otherwise CSW and CMW should be fine.

-my HD isnt too impressive for a guy who is expecting to also be the melee character, so i need to pump my defenses.

Amulet of Tears (2300 GP, MIC p. 70) can help soak up damage, swift action to activate, provides up to 36 temp HP per day. Investing in Miss Chance is usually a better deal than trying to pour money into AC bonuses. Minor Cloak of Displacement is a bit expensive, though (24000 GP), so try a gauntlet/Necklace of Natural Weapons/Scorpion Kama with the Smoking property (+1 enhancement, Lords of Darkness p. 180), which should be a lot cheaper.

is there anything that this build seems to be missing?

Swift-action movement: Travel Devotion, Anklets of Translocation, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, Quicksilver Boots.

is there any way to get trapfinding, open lock, and disable device so i can be a complete skill monkey?

Dungeonscape ACF for Ranger: Trap Expert gets two out of the three. Novice Stone Dragon Belt (3000 GP, Tome of Battle) to pick up Mountain Hammer should take care of any Open Lock situations.

Cog
2011-07-28, 07:40 AM
Nope, they're not [Regional] feats, so no 1st-level-only restriction. They're [Fighter, General] feats. If he can meet the membership requirement, he should be good to go. You're probably thinking of Lion Tribe Warrior from Shining South, which is very similar, but is [Regional] and human-only.

If a feat lists a "Region" line, it is a regional feat and cannot be selected unless a character meets the requirements for choosing feats from that region.
Lion Tribe might work better, though. It has easier requirements for a slightly less powerful version of pounce.

byaku rai
2011-07-28, 07:45 AM
If homebrew is allowed, you should take 3 levels in this monk, by Jiriku: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150122
Third level gets you Wis bonus to everything. Not to mention the +10 to tumble, which is a skill useful beyond words... Also has a better unarmed damage progression.

gallagher
2011-07-28, 11:31 AM
oh wow, how delightfully helpful!

to begin with, i cant take a level of scout, because tattooed monk requires BAB+3, hence the full BAB requirement of it. warblade suits nicely, though. i just am bad with tome of battle (never learned it too well considering i have trouble finding a DM to approve it).

the DM is rare to approve of things outside of core and the completes. the runescarred berserker he approved because it sounds "totally bad***". so he said he will let this one slide, and can use unapproachable east. i will see about TOB. if not, trapfinding ranger sounds like the way to go. i wont need the concentration checks for saves, really, as i will have a good wisdom and high saves from monk and tattooed monk.

it should be noted that no dragmag and no homebrew are allowed. unfortunate, but understandable.

i havent figured out items yet, but forms of swift movement will be required.

and unfortunately, i dont have room for fist of the forest. i need at least 9 levels of runescarred berserker, and i like the three tattoos i have set up. the tattooed monk comes in to flavor, as well, as i am both tattooed and scarred. now i gotta find a way to make piercings give me some super effects and i will be walking, running, and fighting art

Darrin
2011-07-28, 11:33 AM
If a feat lists a "Region" line, it is a regional feat and cannot be selected unless a character meets the requirements for choosing feats from that region.

Aha, noted.

However... there is nothing in UE that says they are 1st level only. In fact, UE says you can qualify for those by having 2 ranks in Knowledge (Local) for that region. The "1st level only" requirement appeared later in PGtF, which removed qualifying via Knowledge (Local) and lists "1st level only" as a special requirement for each [Regional] feat. My understanding is a lot of DMs hand-wave the requirements if you give them a plausable reason for your character to take it.

Lion Tribe might work better, though. It has easier requirements for a slightly less powerful version of pounce.

Human-only though, so no half-orcs.

aazru
2011-07-28, 12:24 PM
Sneak in Eye of Gruumsh to add an eyepatch to your look ;D
But seriously, ask your DM if you can drop or change to chaotic that lawful alignment from monk.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-29, 01:27 PM
Who says that a ring needs to go on a finger. Pierceings are your magic items!

gallagher
2011-07-29, 01:33 PM
Sneak in Eye of Gruumsh to add an eyepatch to your look ;D
But seriously, ask your DM if you can drop or change to chaotic that lawful alignment from monk.

did, he said no. well, he said several more words than no, but they all meant the same thing

herrhauptmann
2011-07-29, 01:48 PM
Aha, noted.

However... there is nothing in UE that says they are 1st level only. In fact, UE says you can qualify for those by having 2 ranks in Knowledge (Local) for that region. The "1st level only" requirement appeared later in PGtF, which removed qualifying via Knowledge (Local) and lists "1st level only" as a special requirement for each [Regional] feat. My understanding is a lot of DMs hand-wave the requirements if you give them a plausable reason for your character to take it.
Wasn't unapproachable east 3.0 and PGtF 3.5?
So the PGtF rules for regional feats overrides the rules for regional feats published in previous books?

After a level of half orc paragon, he can choose to go human paragon if he wishes. Which would make him human enough to qualify for human only feats I believe.
Not that it'll happen, the OP wants/needs classes with full BAB, and the human paragon has a cleric attack progression.

Psyren
2011-07-29, 05:01 PM

Races of Destiny has a feat that lets half-orcs and half-elves count as human for meeting prereqs.

I like the Monk + H.O. Paragon -> Runescarred Berserker idea.

Since you're already allowed Unapproachable East, why not Shou Disciple instead of Tattooed Monk for your 5-level? You can have tattoos without them being from your class.

gallagher
2011-07-29, 05:09 PM
Races of Destiny has a feat that lets half-orcs and half-elves count as human for meeting prereqs.

I like the Monk + H.O. Paragon -> Runescarred Berserker idea.

Since you're already allowed Unapproachable East, why not Shou Disciple instead of Tattooed Monk for your 5-level? You can have tattoos without them being from your class.

because the alter self tattoo is the bomb, and it will make me more versatile. it may not be the most optimized, but if i wanted optimization i wouldnt have mentioned anything that sounded similar to monk. i take it for five levels for mroe tattoos so i can have more alter self's, as well as having the passive bonus to some good skills and free haste

Psyren
2011-07-29, 07:46 PM
because the alter self tattoo is the bomb, and it will make me more versatile. it may not be the most optimized, but if i wanted optimization i wouldnt have mentioned anything that sounded similar to monk. i take it for five levels for mroe tattoos so i can have more alter self's, as well as having the passive bonus to some good skills and free haste

The chameleon tattoo is indeed great, but it works better if you're an Outsider, Aberration or Construct; as a half-orc, you won't get nearly as much out of it.
Add to that that RB 10 will leave your unarmed strike 10 levels behind where it should be and you're better off focusing on other weapons - namely, martial weapons - to flurry with.

Also, you get Polymorph from your Runescars (well, "Polymorph Self", a 3.0 spell).

gallagher
2011-07-30, 11:26 AM
The chameleon tattoo is indeed great, but it works better if you're an Outsider, Aberration or Construct; as a half-orc, you won't get nearly as much out of it.
Add to that that RB 10 will leave your unarmed strike 10 levels behind where it should be and you're better off focusing on other weapons - namely, martial weapons - to flurry with.

Also, you get Polymorph from your Runescars (well, "Polymorph Self", a 3.0 spell).

i think that a monks belt, superior unarmed strike, and some rages will be more than enough to compensate.