PDA

View Full Version : Tattooed Magus

Anderlith
2011-07-28, 03:01 AM
I've always wanted to play a character that was a spell/sword & used magic tattoos to bolster & buff himself, instead of armor (like the Tattooed Monk) but I haven't found anything that would qualify. I was wondering if anyone else has. (I know about Scribe Tattoo, but they only function like scroll spells)

IthroZada
2011-07-28, 03:21 AM
This may not work for you, considering it is homebrew, but to be fair, it is quality homebrew.

Weirbrand (http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-options/classes/606-weirbrand)

The premise being, a melee based caster that tattoos the spells onto her body.

Ernir
2011-07-28, 07:03 AM
Magic melee guy with tattoos? Psychic Warrior. Or any psionic character build around melee, really. Tattoos are part of the default psionic fluff.

Incarnates and Totemists would work well too, if you reflavor their soulmelds as "mystic tattoos". That way, you can get all your power from the tattoos.

Reflavored Eberron Dragonmarks might work too, if the tattoos should be more of a secondary thing.

Psyren
2011-07-28, 07:56 AM
Incarnum fluffed as tattoos? Brilliant! :smallsmile:

WinWin
2011-07-28, 08:17 AM
Craft wondrous item. Make your own slotless magical items.

Urpriest
2011-07-28, 09:00 AM

Come to think of it, this solves almost all my fluff issues with Incarnum. Provided the tattoos don't have to be blue.

Amphetryon
2011-07-28, 09:11 AM
I've always wanted to play a character that was a spell/sword & used magic tattoos to bolster & buff himself, instead of armor (like the Tattooed Monk) but I haven't found anything that would qualify. I was wondering if anyone else has. (I know about Scribe Tattoo, but they only function like scroll spells)

Refluff Runescarred Berserker. Done. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2011-07-28, 09:16 AM
Come to think of it, this solves almost all my fluff issues with Incarnum. Provided the tattoos don't have to be blue.

Well, there's still the issue of why tattoos would have alignment requirements. Haven't quite got my head around that one.

riddles
2011-07-28, 09:23 AM
There is a 3.0 class - tattoo mage, which does exactly want you describe. Medium bab, tattood spells on their body in the form of all day buffs. Its a pretty nice class. Its in an obscure sourcebook though - celtic I think?

GodGoblin
2011-07-28, 09:26 AM

Incarnum not being blue!? Blasphemy! But that is a damn lot cooler than having a glowing helmet and boots floating around...

Ernir
2011-07-28, 10:18 AM

Yep, brilliant idea.

Not mine, unfortunately. Heard it from one of our playgrounders, Swooper.

Well, there's still the issue of why tattoos would have alignment requirements. Haven't quite got my head around that one.
Alignment requirements can be kind of strange to begin with. :smalltongue:

Hmm. Perhaps creating a mystic tattoo that channels the power of an alignment would burn the skin of someone who doesn't share the alignment? A demon who tattoos a holy symbol on his forehead suffering some ugly consequences doesn't sound too far-fetched.

Swooper
2011-07-28, 10:25 AM
Yep, brilliant idea.

Not mine, unfortunately. Heard it from one of our playgrounders, Swooper.
You're welcome! :smallcool:

Psyren
2011-07-28, 11:05 AM
Alignment requirements can be kind of strange to begin with. :smalltongue:

For the most part yeah - but Incarnum is tied too strongly to it to simply handwave. Psionic tattoos work because there's absolutely no moral requirement to psionics at all. A psionic tattoo therefore works just like a real one - an overt expression of individuality.

*scoots Divine Mind under the rug with his toe*

Anderlith
2011-07-28, 01:45 PM
Bad guys go for bad guy tats & good guys go for good guy tats. When have you seen an angry biker with say the Desiderata as a tattoo?

Psyren
2011-07-28, 01:55 PM
Bad guys go for bad guy tats & good guys go for good guy tats. When have you seen an angry biker with say the Desiderata as a tattoo?

I see bad guys with "I <3 Mom," crucifixes and other Biblical paraphernalia/passages, angel wings and halos etc. all the time. As I said, tattoos are like psionics - expressing the individual's preferences without regard for universal or moral concerns.

Not to mention tattoos that have nothing alignment-related at all, like a pac-man tattoo.