PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Is there any way to not need to sleep in Pathfinder?

Barstro
2011-07-28, 09:35 AM
Is there any way for a character to not need to sleep at night? (meditation, trance, etc. would be ok, just not actual sleep).

I was unable to find any trait/ability/feat, but my research was not too extensive.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-28, 09:38 AM
Um... play an elf. I'm 79% sure they haven't changed the elf's sleeping rules.

If WotC stuff is allowed, there's a teamwork benefit thing in the PHB2 that needs an elf or half-elf and lets you all skip the nuisance of sleeping. Spellcasters still need the 8 hours of rest, though.

Blisstake
2011-07-28, 09:41 AM
I think there's a first level spell in the APG that delays your sleep for 8 hours or so. Technically you could probably use that every 8 hours to not sleep.

Barstro
2011-07-28, 09:53 AM
Um... play an elf. I'm 79% sure they haven't changed the elf's sleeping rules.

If WotC stuff is allowed, there's a teamwork benefit thing in the PHB2 that needs an elf or half-elf and lets you all skip the nuisance of sleeping. Spellcasters still need the 8 hours of rest, though.

There is nothing in Pathfinder about elves not needing sleep, so I would rule that they do need it.

Kaeso
2011-07-28, 09:59 AM
Doesn't the fortified sleeping bag reduce your need of sleep to only 1hour/day?

peacenlove
2011-07-28, 11:12 AM
In seeker of secrets there is a method of empowering Ioun stones. Cheap (500 gp with standard wayfinder) but 75% chance of working with an ioun stone, you can use it to empower the alertness ioun stone. The empowerment lets you sleep with open eyes, aware of your surroundings. Kinda creepy but it fits the bill.

Barstro
2011-07-28, 11:31 AM
What I'm trying to do is make a Summoner who doesn't have to worry about resting for the night and being ambushed.

Sure, I could summon the Eidolon via spell and then spend a minute to use my ritual to summon it the other way while it protects me, but I'd rather have a way to keep it up while resting.

Any sort of sleep would send the Eidolon back from whence it came, but I would think that trance/meditation would still keep it around.

Retech
2011-07-28, 02:59 PM
I thought lack of sleep only causes fatigue, which can be removed with a variety of methods.

The Random NPC
2011-07-30, 01:26 AM
I thought lack of sleep only causes fatigue, which can be removed with a variety of methods.

This. I played a game where the Paladin refused to sleep, and just used a Lay on Hands every morning.

Keneth
2011-07-30, 02:30 AM
I thought lack of sleep only causes fatigue, which can be removed with a variety of methods. It also causes insanity as any good DM will no doubt tell you. :smallwink:

BobVosh
2011-07-30, 04:11 AM
It also causes insanity as any good DM will no doubt tell you. :smallwink:

Still easy to cure.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-30, 05:50 AM
Remove disease, because mental illness is STILL illness. :smalltongue:

Keneth
2011-07-30, 06:59 AM
Still easy to cure. Touché, I forgot you can cure insanity by RAW. I don't give my players that privilege since it defeats the purpose. :smallsmile:

WildPyre
2011-07-30, 07:14 AM
A ring of sustenance will reduce your amount of sleep needed to only 2 hours for 2,500 gp. Doesn't solve the problem but it does reduce it.

BobVosh
2011-07-30, 10:46 AM
Touché, I forgot you can cure insanity by RAW. I don't give my players that privilege since it defeats the purpose. :smallsmile:

Ouch. So do they have to write off a character and reroll then? Also does that apply to insanity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm), the spell? Or the power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/insanity.htm)? Because if you note both are actually instantaneous, not permanent so it is literally nonmagical after it takes effect.

Rentaromon
2011-07-30, 11:27 AM
a feat makes the summoners creature stay while asleep(and when unconscious), play an elf to only meditate. A psionic race has the meditate ability as well, but i forget what one.

you could always make up a magic item that does the job and see what your dm thinks of it.

only things i can think of.

Lord Bingo
2011-07-30, 06:40 PM
You could play as an outsider (not a native one) if your DM allows it. They do not need to sleep, amongst other things.

Barstro
2011-08-01, 08:09 AM
a feat makes the summoners creature stay while asleep(and when unconscious), play an elf to only meditate. A psionic race has the meditate ability as well, but i forget what one.

That Feat is only one minute per level, so that doesn't work too well.

Pathfinder seems to have done away with elves meditating.

But thanks for all the responses. I just thought there might have been something simple that I overlooked.