PDA

View Full Version : Divine Spell > Psionic Power

Bloodgruve
2011-07-28, 10:57 AM
First post here, wanna say thanks to all the contributors who have unknowingly helped me with rules and builds over the past couple of years.

Been playing DnD since 2E and have settled into 3.5E as a preferred system. Recently completed my 3.5E library but am not familiar with everything yet.

Just recently started looking at optimization. I'm playing a Ardent/Divine Mind in a current game using a homebrew feat to stack some of the class abilities.

My question, is there a know way to simulate a divine spell using psionics? I have become very interested with Divine Power and am looking for a psionic version.

TYVM
Blood~

charcoalninja
2011-07-28, 11:01 AM
Reality Revision and such spells might do the trick. I can't recall if the power allows the emulation of divine effect. I believe it does though.

Otherwise you'll just have to go with Psionic close enoughs. Offensive Precog is crazy good for example. And Vigor is one of the best defensive powers in the game IMO.

Psyren
2011-07-28, 11:08 AM
Which spell are you trying to replicate? There may be a psionic equivalent already. Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Failing that, you can theurge (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b) your Ardent with a divine caster (Ur-Priest or Apostle of Peace are good choices.)

Failing that, you can research something.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-07-28, 11:14 AM
Also, you could try being a Spell to Power Erudite with that Dragon ability that lets them take Divine Spells as powers. Or get one with Divine Power to pass it on to you via Psychic Chirurgery.

Bloodgruve
2011-07-28, 11:25 AM
What I like so much about Divine Power is that it will actually adjust your BAB to your HD allowing for extra attacks. After looking at Offensive Precog it looks a lot better than I remember.

Any feats out there that give you access to spells?

^ good options.

TYVM
Blood~

Bloodgruve
2011-07-28, 11:30 AM
Also, you could try being a Spell to Power Erudite with that Dragon ability that lets them take Divine Spells as powers.

Where would I find more information about this ability? I am somewhat familiar with the erudite but will check into this.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-07-28, 11:34 AM
Convert Spell to Power Erudite is here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) - I don't recall which Dragon has the option to convert Divine spells to powers, but I'm sure someone else will.

Jude_H
2011-07-28, 01:35 PM
By RAW, it's sketchy. You have to bring in the fairly obscure Erudite Psion variant, then bring in the very obscure Divine Erudite variant, then stick an Epic Divine Erudite in the world, then make sure that Epic Divine Erudite has a specific 9th level Telepath power, then make sure the Epic Divine Erudite is willing to shell out 4000 experience.

But it's something you could houserule in a couple seconds.

Bloodgruve
2011-07-28, 02:02 PM
By RAW, it's sketchy. You have to bring in the fairly obscure Erudite Psion variant, then bring in the very obscure Divine Erudite variant, then stick an Epic Divine Erudite in the world, then make sure that Epic Divine Erudite has a specific 9th level Telepath power, then make sure the Epic Divine Erudite is willing to shell out 4000 experience.

But it's something you could houserule in a couple seconds.

Would burning a feat to gain access to a single spell that is converted to a psionic power be "balanced"? And using the Substitute Power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) option under the Ardent class to place Divine Power (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015155386140379294602%3Ak9hv7ukafn4&cof=FORID%3A1&q=divine+power&sa=GO&siteurl=www.d20srd.org%2Findexes%2FpsionicRacesCla ssesSkillsSpells.htm) into an appropriate mantle like Conflict be "balanced? I will have to sell this to my DM :)

TY for your input.

Blood~

Psyren
2011-07-28, 02:25 PM
Would burning a feat to gain access to a single spell that is converted to a psionic power be "balanced"? And using the Substitute Power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) option under the Ardent class to place Divine Power (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015155386140379294602%3Ak9hv7ukafn4&cof=FORID%3A1&q=divine+power&sa=GO&siteurl=www.d20srd.org%2Findexes%2FpsionicRacesCla ssesSkillsSpells.htm) into an appropriate mantle like Conflict be "balanced? I will have to sell this to my DM :)

TY for your input.

Blood~

You don't need to burn a feat - there are rules for making a custom power. Simply make one exactly like Divine Power.

Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 200 XP per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Psicraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying.

Slot it into one of the blank spaces in one of your mantles, where you'd get a power known normally.

Silva Stormrage
2011-07-28, 02:37 PM
A spell to power erudite thrallherd can do this without any material from Dragon. All you need to do is be 13th level get a 12th level Dread Necromancer thrall. Have him learn his 12th level advanced learning spell be divine power. You can learn a spell of any school 1 level lower than you can cast due to a variant in Complete Arcane I believe.

I admit its a bit round about but you don't even need thrallherd if you can find a dread necromancer/warmage/beguiler that learned Divine Power.

dextercorvia
2011-07-28, 03:05 PM
A spell to power erudite thrallherd can do this without any material from Dragon. All you need to do is be 13th level get a 12th level Dread Necromancer thrall. Have him learn his 12th level advanced learning spell be divine power. You can learn a spell of any school 1 level lower than you can cast due to a variant in Complete Arcane I believe.

I admit its a bit round about but you don't even need thrallherd if you can find a dread necromancer/warmage/beguiler that learned Divine Power.

The ACF is called Eclectic Learning. It is in the PHBII, only explicitly applies to the Warmage class, and requires the spell to be from the Sorcerer/Wizard list.

Nice try though.

Alternatively, a (normal) STP Erudite could learn it from the mind of a Wizard(or whatever) who has taken the Arcane Disciple feat to learn Divine Power.

glennfrogknight
2011-07-28, 03:25 PM
The ACF is called Eclectic Learning. It is in the PHBII, only explicitly applies to the Warmage class, and requires the spell to be from the Sorcerer/Wizard list.

Nice try though.

...What?

Heroes of Horror, Dread Necromancer's Advanced Learning ability. Read it.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-28, 03:28 PM
A spells to power Erudite could learn it from a wizard with divine power, and then craft it into a power stone. The item can technicaly exist, but is highly unlikely.

Now read the rules about casting from a power stone with your powerpoints as to not use the stone itself.

Read the Psionic Imprint rules.

Reality Revison a powerstone of divine power and use it to create more stones you activate in combat.

dextercorvia
2011-07-28, 03:32 PM
...What?

Heroes of Horror, Dread Necromancer's Advanced Learning ability. Read it.

He was referring to an ACF that is commonly houseruled to replace Advanced Learning on other characters, but is RAW restricted to Warmage. That ACF requires that the spell be from the Sorcerer/Wizard list.

DN Advanced Learning allows them to learn a Necromancy spell from the Cleric list or the Wizard list, but that doesn't help since Divine Power is an Evocation spell.

Edit: If you are going to suggest that someone read something, then I highly recommend you read the discussion first.

Silva Stormrage
2011-07-28, 03:53 PM
He was referring to an ACF that is commonly houseruled to replace Advanced Learning on other characters, but is RAW restricted to Warmage. That ACF requires that the spell be from the Sorcerer/Wizard list.

DN Advanced Learning allows them to learn a Necromancy spell from the Cleric list or the Wizard list, but that doesn't help since Divine Power is an Evocation spell.

Edit: If you are going to suggest that someone read something, then I highly recommend you read the discussion first.

My apologies, I didn't read that part where it said limited to Sorcerer/Wizard List. I am currently away from books.