PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing and PrC's

nhbdy
2011-07-28, 11:38 AM
I have recently began a discussion with one of my friends that came to the point where we cannot find conclusive citations, my friend believes that PrC's are subject to the multiclassing exp penalties, I think this makes no sense, as it makes it so that any non favored class cannot PrC without exp penalties, this is only compounded by the fact that PrC's only typically go to 10 levels, my first instinct was to check the PHB's multiclassing rules text, presented on page 60, it offered no help to me and seemed to support that they are indeed subject to multiclassing penalties, as they use the phrase "when a character's classes" which is considerably different that "when a character's base classes." I next turned to the DMG page 176 on PrC's and found no evidence to support my claim.

In short, I ask of you, am I crazy with an imagined rule? Or is there a citation (book and page would be appreciated) that supports my claim?

gbprime
2011-07-28, 11:50 AM
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/prestigeClasses.html

Specifically...

Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.

This is found in the official 3.5 FAQ. It was omitted from the DMG by mistake.

HunterOfJello
2011-07-28, 11:51 AM
ah, swordsage'd

I think they left it out of the DMG on accident.

Zherog
2011-07-28, 11:59 AM
I think they left it out of the DMG on accident.

More correctly, it was cut from the 3.5 DMG by accident. The text was in the 3.0 DMG; they wanted to cut the rest of the paragraph that contained the rule, and accidentally cut the whole thing.

nhbdy
2011-07-28, 12:04 PM
Thank you for the timely and helpful response, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Dragon Star
2011-07-29, 08:05 PM
Also, most people just do away with multiclassing XP penalties entirely.

Completely off topic, where did you get the banner in your sig? I've seen a number of posters with it. Can anyone just add it?