PDA

View Full Version : Xykons Familiar

rbetieh
2011-07-28, 12:33 PM
Since familiars are all the rage (and I havent gotten a hold of Start of Darkness :smalleek:) I will ask. What do you all think Xykons familiar will be? Monster in Darkness, Demon Roach, or yet unseen familiar? Will he even have one at all?

Yana
2011-07-28, 12:38 PM
Having a familiar would mean that he'd actually have to care about something briefly enough to create it.

As Xykon has only ever shown interest in murdering for kicks, I'd wager that creating a familiar wouldn't be anywhere near his priority list.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-28, 12:44 PM
As Yana said, Xykon probably never got a familiar. It's possible he traded it out for something else with an alternate class feature, or maybe he took that flaw that gives you a feat in exchange for your familiar, or maybe he just never bothered with it at all. Point is, he more than likely doesn't have one.

hoff
2011-07-28, 12:49 PM
or maybe he took that flaw that gives you a feat in exchange for your familiar
Wait, you can do that? Which book is that?

Zherog
2011-07-28, 02:19 PM
Wait, you can do that? Which book is that?

Unearthed Arcana, and reproduced (through the OGL) on sites such as d20srd.org.

Demonic1000
2011-07-28, 02:27 PM
Maybe he began with one (24 hours is nothing for a 1st level caster) and it just doesn't appear until he needs it.

Also, what happens to a familiar when one becomes a lich? Several years ago this question was raised post-D&D meet. We concluded that the caster must die, severing the link.

Miklus
2011-07-28, 03:14 PM
Maybe Redcloak counts as a familiar...? :smallamused:

137beth
2011-07-28, 04:18 PM
Maybe Redcloak counts as a familiar...? :smallamused:

No, a familiar must be an animal prior to becoming a familiar. Redcloak was a humanoid.
It doesn't really seem keeping with Xykon's character to have a familiar...plus it really isn't all that helpful to a high level caster.

BTW wasn't there another thread about this awhile ago?

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-28, 04:28 PM
I choose to believe it was Barky, who has sadly since been turned to a pile of undead mulch.

137beth
2011-07-28, 04:46 PM
Ah yes, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203462) it is.
We debunked the RC theory there...but not barky.
As to Barky, that is actually the second idea on either thread that is even mildly feasible (the first of course being that Xykon didn't want a familiar), so congrats to Kobold-Bard!
...except the Barky idea was also raised by Gift Jeraff. Still, it is at least a little plausible.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-28, 04:55 PM
As to Barky, that is actually the second idea on either thread that is even mildly feasible (the first of course being that Xykon didn't want a familiar), so congrats to Kobold-Bard!

:smallbiggrin:

...except the Barky idea was also raised by Gift Jeraff. Still, it is at least a little plausible.

Aww :smallfrown:

However Gift's avatar is so awesome, I can let it go.

rbetieh
2011-07-28, 05:15 PM
It looks like I lack basic forum searching skills. Let me add a few ranks to search when I level up, which based on the sever lack of Zombie Apocalypse with which to gain XP, might be a while....

Was there ever a mention of Xykons familiar when he was alive?

KingFlameHawk
2011-07-29, 12:17 AM
I would have to vote for Barky. Not because I really think that he is but because I could totally see a scene were V goes against Xykon again:

:xykon: "So elf-what's-your-name, ready for a beating?"
:vaarsuvius: "Aha, foul lich. This time will be different as I have my trusty familiar by my side."
Blackwing: "So what are you going to do about that huh?"
:xykon: "A bird huh? I've known how to deal with your kind since I has four years old. Barky look, I found another bird."
Barky: "Woof."
Blackwing: "O GODS!!"

TheMac04
2011-07-29, 12:45 AM
I would have to vote for Barky. Not because I really think that he is but because I could totally see a scene were V goes against Xykon again:

:xykon: "So elf-what's-your-name, ready for a beating?"
:vaarsuvius: "Aha, foul lich. This time will be different as I have my trusty familiar by my side."
Blackwing: "So what are you going to do about that huh?"
:xykon: "A bird huh? I've known how to deal with your kind since I has four years old. Barky look, I found another bird."
Barky: "Woof."
Blackwing: "O GODS!!"

I want this to happen now. I like Blackwing, but if he's going to go at some point, this would be the best possible way. And it'd be cool to see V go on a revenge rampage on better terms this time.