PDA

View Full Version : A little help from my Playground...

ReluctantDragon
2011-07-28, 05:48 PM
So, as usual, I am coming to the PG with a do or die situation.

Level 20 Gestalt game.

I've spent the past two weeks building a Druid/Planar Shepherd//Swordsage that does nothing but pwn face(Kung Fu Panda! But replace Panda with Dire Polar Bear) and break the action economy(I don't even know how Planar Shepherd got made). Two weeks of nothing but thought exercises, alternate builds, reformatting equipment, etc.

Needless to say, I am now completely burnt out on the idea. I hate it. Everything about it.

So, I said to myself, "Self, you are ruggedly handsome and incredibly witty. Also, why not make something simple?"

So, along those lines, I fell upon the idea of of a Warblade//Duskblade. Strength and Intelligence are obviously primary and secondary abilities to go for, with Constitution being the cleanup.

So to finally get to the point. If you, fair Playground, had to build a level 20 Gestalt Warblade//Duskblade, how would you go about doing it?

Conditions:

- Has to be a Core race, no templates, UA alternates, etc.
- All books are available
- Typical WBL
- Warblade//Duskblade has to be the core of the build, as in both classes have to be involved, and I'm looking for simplicity above everything else.

I am aware of the Handbooks available for each class, and I know I can just toss together something from those, but I am interested in what my esteemed Playgrounders have as ideas!

Anyone with suggestions is extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
RD

Keld Denar
2011-07-28, 06:02 PM
Your biggest issue to plan around is efficient time management. You are gonna have a TON of things to do with your standard action (strikes), your swift actions (boosts/counters/swiftcast spells), and your full attacks (full attack spell channel + Time Stands Still).

I guess the primary issue is that both Duskblade and Warblade are both very active classes. Duskblade doesn't get much in the way of buffs, so most of its casting is going to be combat related. In rounds you are casting, you also aren't striking, and you can't combine them since they both require their own standard actions to accomplish.

If you DO do this, get yourself a FAT +X Spellstoring Bloodstone weapon. That'll give you 4 spells in the first round of combat (one Empowered Vamp Touch in Bloodstone, one 3rd or lower spell in Spellstoring, one Quickcast spell (swift), and one full attack channeled spell). Thats pretty novay, if I do say so myself.

Might I be so bold as to possibly suggest //Psion or //Wizard opposite Warblade? Both are Int based as well, which is SADistic, and both have either long duration buffs that'll boost your combat efficiency (Wizard), or have ways to gain extra actions or pseudoactions to play with toys from both sides (Psion). Just something thats a little more synergistic, if you will.

gorfnab
2011-07-28, 06:06 PM
Might I be so bold as to possibly suggest //Psion or //Wizard opposite Warblade? Both are Int based as well, which is SADistic, and both have either long duration buffs that'll boost your combat efficiency (Wizard), or have ways to gain extra actions or pseudoactions to play with toys from both sides (Psion). Just something thats a little more synergistic, if you will.
Factotum // Warblade would be another option. Lots of synergy and SADistic as well.

Keld Denar
2011-07-28, 06:08 PM
You mean like the Factotum of War (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871250/Factotum_of_War) by cantripN?

ReluctantDragon
2011-07-28, 06:40 PM
Your biggest issue to plan around is efficient time management. You are gonna have a TON of things to do with your standard action (strikes), your swift actions (boosts/counters/swiftcast spells), and your full attacks (full attack spell channel + Time Stands Still).

I guess the primary issue is that both Duskblade and Warblade are both very active classes. Duskblade doesn't get much in the way of buffs, so most of its casting is going to be combat related. In rounds you are casting, you also aren't striking, and you can't combine them since they both require their own standard actions to accomplish.

If you DO do this, get yourself a FAT +X Spellstoring Bloodstone weapon. That'll give you 4 spells in the first round of combat (one Empowered Vamp Touch in Bloodstone, one 3rd or lower spell in Spellstoring, one Quickcast spell (swift), and one full attack channeled spell). Thats pretty novay, if I do say so myself.

True. I realize I will be starving for action opportunity. However to assist with that, I was thinking of using the Duskblade side and buffing, after taking Arcane Disciple and trying to get a good buff Domain.

And, Keld, sorry to seem naive, but what is a FAT?

EDIT - To the point of Factotum, whereas I realize that it would be awesome, another player is taking the roll of Factotum and doing it better than me. (Erudite//Factotum)