PDA

View Full Version : Wait... Regeneration?!

Chaosblade
2011-07-28, 05:48 PM
Regeneration
A creature with regeneration treats all damage as nonlethal, except for specific types of damage, given in the creature’s description, that affect it normally (such as a troll’s vulnerability to acid and fire). A creature with regeneration can remove 1 nonlethal hit per round per 5 points of regeneration (minimum 1 hit).

So, this means that if you deal 9001 Cold damage to a Troll, and 3 Fire damage in the same round, to the same troll, the troll takes 9001 Nonlethal damage, and 3 lethal damage. Next round, it regenerates 9001 Nonlethal damage, but not the 3 from Fire.

Do I have this correct?

aquaticrna
2011-07-28, 05:52 PM
no, i believe that in your case what it would be is he takes 9001 nonlethal, 3 real damage, and later that round when the rogue hits him with a sap for a whole bunch he can negate that hit that round, but not his other 3 iterative hits with the sap, then next round he heals 5 damage

Jack_Simth
2011-07-28, 05:53 PM
So, this means that if you deal 9001 Cold damage to a Troll, and 3 Fire damage in the same round, to the same troll, the troll takes 9001 Nonlethal damage, and 3 lethal damage. Next round, it regenerates 9001 Nonlethal damage, but not the 3 from Fire.

Do I have this correct?You've been errata'd. Well, assuming 3.5... what system?

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 05:55 PM
You've been errata'd.

Rather hard.

Flickerdart
2011-07-28, 05:59 PM
To be more specific (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration), a creature with Regeneration recovers its non-lethal damage at the rate of its Regeneration score - a troll would need 1800 rounds to recover from the 9001 damage.

Chaosblade
2011-07-28, 06:02 PM
Um... this is embarrassing, but... I think I know where I made my mistake...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/injury.htm

My bad. >.>

Fax Celestis
2011-07-28, 06:02 PM
It's missing a "point" right after "hit".

Keld Denar
2011-07-28, 06:05 PM
LOL! Does that mean they missed the point? Get it? Get it? Yar har!

Spartacus
2011-07-28, 06:05 PM
It's missing a "point" right after "hit".

No it isn't. That would be a really silly rule if so. Heal nonlethal slower than normal damage?

Kojiro
2011-07-28, 06:10 PM
No it isn't. That would be a really silly rule if so. Heal nonlethal slower than normal damage?

They don't heal normal damage with regeneration; they heal the nonlethal damage quickly, and everything is nonlethal to them except specific things. Trolls and fire, they heal everything that isn't a burn (i.e. all nonlethal damage) at their regeneration rate, and take normal damage without healing from fire. If it were a single hit healed per whatever, then the aforementioned 9001 damage attack, which would probably gib them and paint the landscape, would be undone in a turn; that would be silly.

Devmaar
2011-07-28, 06:24 PM
Minor nitpick: Trolls also take lethal damage from acid

Acanous
2011-07-28, 06:29 PM
Unless they're wearing a Ring of Energy Immunity (Acid). Technically they can also do this with Fire and laugh off anything that isn't a death effect.

Flickerdart
2011-07-28, 06:55 PM
Unless they're wearing a Ring of Energy Immunity (Acid). Technically they can also do this with Fire and laugh off anything that isn't a death effect.
Raise an undead monster, tell them to beat the creature to death all night and day. It won't be able to regenerate faster than it gets hurt, and the undead never gets tired.

Morph Bark
2011-07-28, 06:58 PM
Raise an undead monster, tell them to beat the creature to death all night and day. It won't be able to regenerate faster than it gets hurt, and the undead never gets tired.

And this, people, is how the term trolling was coined.

aquaticrna
2011-07-28, 07:04 PM
we found a town in game that used something like this... there was a troll, in a box, and the box was designed such that the troll's arms would grow out of two holes, and there was an automatic cutting mechanism on the hole, so every few minutes that troll's arms were removed from its body, thus the village was fed indefinitely! i think it was a box of greater sustenance or something like that as well

kardar233
2011-07-28, 07:11 PM
And this, people, is how the term trolling was coined.

Only if the target is a horse with Regeneration. Unfortunately being undead disables Regeneration, but I can always imagine.

Moose Man
2011-07-28, 07:16 PM
we found a town in game that used something like this... there was a troll, in a box, and the box was designed such that the troll's arms would grow out of two holes, and there was an automatic cutting mechanism on the hole, so every few minutes that troll's arms were removed from its body, thus the village was fed indefinitely! i think it was a box of greater sustenance or something like that as wellI was under the impression troll meat was poisonous. :smallconfused:

Ksheep
2011-07-28, 07:19 PM
I was under the impression troll meat was poisonous. :smallconfused:
That's what "Purify Food and Drink" is for.

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-28, 07:28 PM
I was under the impression troll meat was poisonous. :smallconfused:

What gave you that idea?

Delcor
2011-07-28, 07:42 PM
Well, the we my group always played it:

Do enough damage to kill it, then any amount of fire/acid whatever kills it; but it can only regen the damage that was done via non fire/acid.

So it the case described in the OP, the troll would be dead from the fire damage because it would be technically dead if it wasn't a troll from the cold damage, and then took unregeneratable damage.

Does this help? Does this make sense? Does this work?

Rei_Jin
2011-07-28, 07:46 PM
Err... where does this Regeneration entry come from? It's not in the Monster Manual, or the online SRD. Is it D&D 3.5, or Pathfinder, or...?

EDIT: Nevermind... that's what happens when people mix up core rules and variant rules I guess.

NNescio
2011-07-28, 07:48 PM
Well, the we my group always played it:

Do enough damage to kill it, then any amount of fire/acid whatever kills it; but it can only regen the damage that was done via non fire/acid.

So it the case described in the OP, the troll would be dead from the fire damage because it would be technically dead if it wasn't a troll from the cold damage, and then took unregeneratable damage.

Does this help? Does this make sense? Does this work?

Regeneration doesn't work that way:

Regeneration

Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts. Damage dealt to the creature is treated as nonlethal damage, and the creature automatically cures itself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, as given in the creature’s entry.

Certain attack forms, typically fire and acid, deal damage to the creature normally; that sort of damage doesn’t convert to nonlethal damage and so doesn’t go away. The creature’s description includes the details. A regenerating creature that has been rendered unconscious through nonlethal damage can be killed with a coup de grace. The attack cannot be of a type that automatically converts to nonlethal damage.

The troll was only technically unconscious. You can still Coup de Grace it though with something that deals acid or fire damage.

Note again that a Coup de Grace is a special type of attack, and not just any attack that deals lethal damage:

Coup de Grace

As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

Delivering a coup de grace provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents.

@OP:I see what you did there. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReadingsAreOffTheScale)