PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Teleport

thompur
2011-07-28, 06:14 PM
If a wizard has Still Spell/Teleport, but is shackled to a wall, can she teleport out of the shackles? The spell description says max. load, but doesn't mention involuntary loads. I would say she's stuck, but I thought I'd ask the learned playground for advice. Is there RAW regarding this problem?

tyckspoon
2011-07-28, 06:22 PM
Yes. Generally, you're allowed to choose what your equipment is and what stuff you want to bring along. I think the closest the spell actually gets to that is the permissive language- you *can* bring along objects, which permits for *not* bringing an object.

aquaticrna
2011-07-28, 06:45 PM
teleport only has verbal components...

NichG
2011-07-28, 06:45 PM
Evil captors could go a bit further and have the shackles actually pierce said wizard's body, which might make it harder to teleport just yourself. Alternately, gorgon's blood traditionally stops dimensional travel (as do 'underground radiations'), so some combination thereof might be appropriate as a low cost solution.

If all else fails, Int damage is the way to go. Get their Int below the point where they can cast spells and keep it there. Or have a friendly spellthief drain them away and block access to their spellbook.

aquaticrna
2011-07-28, 06:47 PM
oh there is a set of shackles that apply and AMF to whoever is in them so those would successfully hold a caster but they're expensive

Glimbur
2011-07-28, 06:50 PM
Evil captors could go a bit further and have the shackles actually pierce said wizard's body, which might make it harder to teleport just yourself. Alternately, gorgon's blood traditionally stops dimensional travel (as do 'underground radiations'), so some combination thereof might be appropriate as a low cost solution.

If all else fails, Int damage is the way to go. Get their Int below the point where they can cast spells and keep it there. Or have a friendly spellthief drain them away and block access to their spellbook.

There's also the option of nonlethal damage. Provided you put a Ring of Sustenance on them(to avoid death via starvation/dehydration), and they aren't immune to nonlethal damage, a relatively secure way to hold a prisoner is to beat said prisoner into unconsciousness and keep them there. This has problems if, for example, you want to talk to the prisoner, but it is an option.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-28, 07:12 PM
Yes. Generally, you're allowed to choose what your equipment is and what stuff you want to bring along. I think the closest the spell actually gets to that is the permissive language- you *can* bring along objects, which permits for *not* bringing an object.This. So much, this.

One time I had a rather-irksome DM, ran us through an adventure without really knowing the rules, and railroaded our tenth-level party going up against a supposedly "CR 15" demigod. I was playing a Wizard, and, being the smart one, opted to grab the party and teleport out when he showed up.

"He touches [PC] and teleports with you."

:smallfurious:

:furious:

Optimator
2011-07-28, 11:07 PM
A nearby trap that autocasts Divert Teleport.

NNescio
2011-07-28, 11:09 PM
Anticipate Teleport would work as well.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-07-28, 11:14 PM
Dimension Archor enchanment works just fine.

Gabe the Bard
2011-07-28, 11:30 PM
So do dimensional shackles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dimensionalShackles).

ericgrau
2011-07-28, 11:34 PM
Always gag any captured wizards and confiscate their spell components, of course. For other situations, dimensional anchor and dimensional lock tend to work well and are cheaper than those expensive shackles.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-28, 11:46 PM
Or forbiddance, though the damage might be problematic if you're trying to take prisoners.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-29, 12:17 AM
Or forbiddance, though the damage might be problematic if you're trying to take prisoners.

A merciful forbiddance?
Pretty sure BoED has a metamagic that lets you deal nonlethal damage with your damaging spell.

ericgrau
2011-07-29, 01:17 AM
What's even better than stopping the teleport would be hallow + silence in a nice juicy vulnerable-to-scrying treasure room and the ability to make DC 15 spot checks. Why spot? That part's only to read the wizard's lips as he curses in the silence.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-29, 01:34 AM
You can potentially project detect magic through a scrying sensor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm), so a smart spell-caster might figure it out before he leaps in. He might not, but it is possibility.

ericgrau
2011-07-29, 01:44 AM
I'm sure it'll never work twice. But the first time it works is worth it. Even with the detect you only get some schools.

thompur
2011-07-29, 08:17 PM
So do dimensional shackles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dimensionalShackles).

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Gabe!